Thread: Tagging Policy

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Tagging Policy

General Tagging Stuff

(I'll stop commandeering your post now Aik )

---------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Just a suggestion: I would leave tagging the staff run sections, like writers study, to the staff since they know best what's what in there and how it's supposed to be managed.

Script doesn't need tags, catalogs are meant to replace them. Besides it would be pretty difficult to tag it.
    I concur with regards to areas that are heavily frequented and actually run by staff, as long as that department has the manpower and will to do so. I guess input would be needed here, even though I remember GED saying, that he wouldn't want to put that extra load on the shoulders of staff.

However, I agree with you Sir Adrian, see my idea for Vault Staff.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 12, 2014 at 07:59 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Default Re: TWC Libary and Creative Workshop - Tag Proposals

Just a note on this. When you design a tag, it has to be lower case. So something like this:

RTW AAR would be

rtw aar
    Last edited by GrnEyedDvl; July 08, 2014 at 10:16 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: TWC Libary and Creative Workshop - Tag Proposals

Ah thanks for that GED, didn't realise.

And the Staff could do the tagging if they want, but that is an extra load they may not want, and it is a job we signed up for, plus with regards to the WS I have an idea of what sort of tags there needs to be, it is my forum home so to speak.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Blog Entries

Default Tagging Policy

Oh well, I guess we need to agree on how diversified we want to go for tags. I'm not too sure about that. It'll be good to have feedback with regards to that from GED.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 12, 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Discussion and Debate - Tag Proposals

I agree with Shanks sugestions, but I have the feeling we are going to have to improvise a bit and trust in our individual common sense. (We have it!).
    Moreover (and if you accept what I have said), I have the impression that very few of us will be developing this task. Maybe I (you, we) could start tomorrow tagging a section (i.e. I am quite familiar with D&D, so D&D for me if no one has a problem with it), and if I find a problem I can consult here (speaking in general, we can use the realated tagging consortium threads for that).

Citizen

Blog Entries

Hmm I think we need to wait for GED to give us the all clear in terms of have all the old tags been cleared and have we got the right permissions etc. but as soon as that is done I agree, we should just go for it - as long as you post here what tags you have used they can always be removed later if people object. Not sure what the official stance on that would be though...

I am fine with people doing areas they know well, so go for the D&D by all means.

Blog Entries

From what GED posted both in here and in the proposal discussion, I assume that the official stance looks something like that:

- GED + HEX + Curator purging those tags that need to go
    - in the meanwhile we can propose and discuss new tags in here
    - when purging is done, the remaining tags will be posted in here somewhere
    - proposed tags will be approved, or discarded by GED or HEX or Curator
    - approved tags can be used and tagging begins

But I guess we'll hear soon. Anyhow, nothing stops us from proposing and discussing tags.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Which I've tried making a start on, but we need some consensus on how specific we want tags to be for each forum/category.

Blog Entries

Yes, I've seen that

I guess it would be best to split all the general discussion posts off of the different threads and merge them into a General TAG policy discussion thread or the such. Also, I suggest that you become the LM of this subforum. You're doing a great job here. Just pm a HEXER asking for it or the such.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

IIRC we can use two tags in every thread (and modding threads will be an exception). We can use a quite generic tag (like the tags proposed in this OP), and a slightly more specific tag.

Blog Entries

Yeah, some sort of general category tags + one specific (if need be) makes sense. Depending on the resource hit of tags (if there is any) even three might be considerable. I wouldn't want to make it too specific though, I doubt more than three would ever be needed.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Yes, I've seen that

I guess it would be best to split all the general discussion posts off of the different threads and merge them into a General TAG policy discussion thread or the such. Also, I suggest that you become the LM of this subforum. You're doing a great job here. Just pm a HEXER asking for it or the such.
    Cheers Aik.

That is a good idea, it will be easier to keep the discussions specific to each board then.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    IIRC we can use two tags in every thread (and modding threads will be an exception). We can use a quite generic tag (like the tags proposed in this OP), and a slightly more specific tag.
    I've seen in some threads I can add up to 5 tags?

I mean we could even come up with like a number/hash system and then post what each number/hash will search for... e.g. if AARs were #a, RTW was #r and Rome Total Realism was #rtr we could tag an ARR using the RTR mod as "#a, #r, #rtr" - although with a forum this size I'm not sure how practical that would be?

EDIT: I know it is my idea but I really like it. I mean if we had a # for general areas we can combine them for things more specific, so like if there was a modding thread looking for skinners and the # for modding was #m and skinners was #sk then you could use the same RTW tag (if it was a Rome Mod looking for Skinners) and just tag it as "#r #m #sk".
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 11, 2014 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries

I think the tag system should be as intuitive as possible. When I want to search for any given subject, I'll have some general ideas of what subject I'd be searching, right?

Now, I think what we need to do is to figure out what the most common sense tags would be for any given subject/thread. Hence I wouldn't use too abstract (in shape, not in content) tags at all.

F.e. when I'm looking for a certain tutorial, I would most probably not search for the engine, because I would already look for that tut in the corresponding game workshop. Also I don't think I would look for a tag like Tut or Tutorial, because I would know that I'd search for a tutorial. What would I look for, most probably the precise subject, say, creating a texture, so I'd first look for "texture" and or "How to" and "texture" maybe even "create texture" or something the like.

Can tags be more than one word?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Yeah they can.

EDIT: Added "test tag" as a tag to this thread, as far as I can tell it works fine.

And okay, so we aren't going to tag threads in like the M2TW forum as m2tw (or something similar) because we assume people will start off looking in that forum?

Blog Entries

That's my suggestion, that does not mean that it's necessarily the case. A case could also be made that tag search should be as dummy friendly as possible, hence a case could be made for tags like R2TW or m2k and the such. Just offering my understanding, it's up to us do discuss that and agree or disagree.

Also, good to know about the more-than-one tag format, do they need to be underscored or do they read spaces?

Citizen

Blog Entries

@Aik, it reads space. About what you suggest I guess it just depends if we want tag searches to be useful site-wide or just forum wide, I think forum wide would suffice as I often go to a forum and then search, not just search from the site page. The problem comes for new members if they cannot find a particular forum that might be well hidden under different layers.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 12, 2014 at 07:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that's what I meant Shank. Personally I'd go to the relevant forum too, but as you said, new users probably wouldn't. So most probably it needs to work from the main index of the forum. Nevertheless I guess it should be as intuitive as possible.

Citizen

Blog Entries

It would be good if forums could be tagged... then people could search for like "m2tw modding tutorials" and be taken straight to that forum, and then search from within the forum for more specific tags. Ah well, guess it will have to be done the long way. It just seems a bit silly to tag threads in like the TW general discussion forums all with their specific game, it would be a much better use of the tag system IMO to tag threads like that into areas of discussion not games.

(guess this is a bit redundant for the D&D forum though)

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tagging Policy

Okay so due to my secret Germaness () I have moved a few posts around and stuff so anything related to how we are going to tag things as a whole should be in this thread now.