Thread: Empire factions

Default Empire factions

Hello, what are the main differences between the empire factions? Lots of them, and i don't know which to choose.

assurbanippal's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Empire factions

In my opinion the main one is the starting position regarding the evil factions, specially the Chaos since they are the most powerful faction of the game, mainly when they gather themselves in only one.
    there are also some differences as to units, each one has 3 or 4 own units and as to money profits (averland and reikland have the highest profits per turn AFAIK)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Page-48/page48

Manus supra idolum age primum et septimum de QuatuoR

Reikland has best troops and hardest Storm of Chaos play, their early can be difficult to get all of their victory cities, and their fight both the orcish hordes and chaos armies.
    Others just based on position fight certain evil factions.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAxe View Post
    Hello, what are the main differences between the empire factions? Lots of them, and i don't know which to choose.
    They're pretty much the same, there are slight differences, like Samurai clans in Shogun 2, here's a summary:

Averland: Most fertile province, big population, rich, good supply of mercs, special unit: heavy halberders. (also the easiest faction IMO)

Wissenland: Possibly the most populace, tough starting out: fighting both undead and lots of beastmen, but after that they have the easiest position tucked away in a corner. Speciality: artillery (Nuln is the artillery/engineering capital of the empire) having battles with 4/5 units of artillery is hella fun.

Stirland: An unfortunately shaped province, it's basically the land around a river so it's just a long thin strip, quite poor, excellent river-patrol archers. a real underdog faction with serious potential if you play well.

Ostermark: Obsessed with death, they have death-jacks, Templars of Morr and all that stuff, an all right starting position (only facing undead), but later on will get attacked from every direction at the same time, but by then you'll have a baddass army who don't fear death at all. The most dramatic faction.

Talabecland: the best protected capital city, elite swordsmen, haven't played these guys much, but the AI always seeems to get screwed over so they must be tough to play as.

Reikland: The capital of the Empire, home of the Emperor, close to the Grand-Theogonist, Reiksguard are supposed to be the best knights in the empire, they have Carroburg greatswords (even more elite than the most elite imperial infantry) also very rich because of all of the mines, but also the main target for invaders (well in theory). So, most powerful faction, but most vulnerable because of that.

Middenheim and Middenland: The most unique imperial faction, they have their own God (Ulric), their own elite infantry Teurtonguard (like super heavily armoured vikings with hammers) and their own knights, their own high priest, good position, strong friendlies all around, main enemy are the beastmen, but the storm of chaos actually targets your capital city, so you get attacked by like 25 stacks of the most elite chaos warriors by about turn 68. The most epic faction.

Hochland: This is where all of the best marksmen come from, hochland rifles are their elite unit, smallest province, but quite dense, so it's the easiest to defend/reinforce threatened towns and cities.

Nordland: These guys have the coast, so it's a bit tricky: you can be attacked at any time, with very little information before hand. They have knights of Manaan, excellent sea vessels, and if you take Marienbrug (as you should) you get one of the richest cities in the Empire. (I found this faction to be the hardest)

Ostland: This is another slightly different faction, they have close ties to Kislev, so they seem more slavic in their dress, family names and so on. They should be the toughest Imperial faction (theoretically), but I didn't find them too hard, their special unit is heavy spearmen. Like Stirland, they're an underdog faction: very poor, masses of enemies at the door-step, low chance of success = fun times, but unlike Stirland the shape of their province is easier to defend.
    Last edited by Himster; July 10, 2014 at 09:50 AM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

In my campaign Talabecland was one of the few Imperial factions to survive. I had to give them a castle in safe territory, but they still outlasted almost everyone else on their own. Though I had to kill off Nordland because it went heretic.

There are more special units the provinces can field, like halberdiers for Stirland, marksmen for Ostland, possibly some local knightly orders and many more. Selecting the factions for custom battle allows you to view their unit rosters.

Don't forget that as the southern factions (Wissenland and Averland) you will have to face the Waaagh (spl?? guys) late game; lots of greenskins come knocking at your frontdoor and they target Nuln I believe. I don't remember the exact time (probably turn 80 something).

Thanks guys! I am playing my Kislev campaign atm, and it seems to be pretty easy(h/h). I thought i was supposed to be facing the constant hoards of Khorne from the North? Yet All Khorne is doing is fighting the chaos dwarf city North of Pragg. Will things pick up after a while?

assurbanippal's Avatar Biarchus

Thanks guys! I am playing my Kislev campaign atm, and it seems to be pretty easy(h/h). I thought i was supposed to be facing the constant hoards of Khorne from the North? Yet All Khorne is doing is fighting the chaos dwarf city North of Pragg. Will things pick up after a while?
    Once the northern factions become chaos undivided you will suffer

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Page-48/page48

Manus supra idolum age primum et septimum de QuatuoR

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

A few scripted events will lead to Chaos armies being spawned in your region. It's all about luck. In my Kislev campaign I got 2 Tzeentch, 2 Nurgle and 2 Khorne army stacks spawn in different regions in the same turn.

besides that, Chaos will become united around turn 70-80 and the Lord of End times will give you enough to be entertained for quite some time.
    Imperium Romanum

Ok thanks for the reassurance! I was beginning to think that my game was bugged or something, it makes sense because a couple of the chaos factions already died off. So i guess i should start preparing for the inevitable!