Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Free City of Pentos

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Default The Free City of Pentos

The Docks

The busy docks of Pentos were bustling with activity as the Dornish galley slid into harbor, the exiles from Westeros were greeted by many different smells and sounds. On the docks a fat whaling cog from Ibben unloaded it's goods and some loud mouthed Tyroshi merchants shouted about their fine spices and goods, a great difference from the quiet and peace of the Narrow Sea.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Free City of Pentos

Ser Janos, once more upon the deck, looks to the captain of the ship and gives him his pay quietly. The Sworn Sword then walks over to Lord Connington as the ship prepares to dock to unload its cargo and passengers.

We will need to get you, Oberyn and Rhaegar's children a vessel to possibly Lys or Volantis. Even Tyrosh if possible. Just any way to get you south and further away from Westeros as soon as possible.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Griff, Docks of Pentos

Jon Connington stood on the prow of the ships looking outwards into Pentos harbor, he had kept to his word and dyed his new beard and once unkempt hair blue and oiled, a single braid fell over his shoulder. Deciding to assume the alias of "Griff" a merchant half-Westerosii half Tyroshi born on Gulltown he felt safe enough to come outside, the same however could not be said for the Targaryen children. Ser Tytos Marchwood, now posing as captain of his sellsword bodyguard was finishing returning them to their crates as soon as they said their farewells. The five other Griffin men included his newly-knighted squire Donnel Galemont and similarly newly Knighted Ser Bors of the Kingswood, Ser Erryk Sunsail, Ser Bonifer Storm and Ser Janos Dirk all of course with new alias assumed on their new Knighthood. Acknowledging Ser Janos with a nod he replied on a mongrel accent he was practicing, half Tyroshi half Westerosii, although it was but his normal voice with less Stormlandish sound.

"I plan to book passage to Volantis as soon as possible, using some of our friends' treasury, they are downstairs now saying their goodbyes. Me, Oberyn, five of my men and the Princes children but will Lady Mooton come with us? She is after all their governess and I have no experience dealing with the little ones." My children now, I must remember that.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Jonothor Darry appeared on deck, frowning with distaste at the garish Pentoshi clothing that he now wore. "Do we all need to dye our hair as well, or was that just to disguise your particularily obvious hair color?"

Quote Originally Posted by Axis Sunsoar View Post
    Jonothor Darry appeared on deck, frowning with distaste at the garish Pentoshi clothing that he now wore. "Do we all need to dye our hair as well, or was that just to disguise your particularily obvious hair color?"
    Griff, Docks of Pentos

"I am going into hiding and the red haired Lord Connington would be too easy to recognize." Lord Connington was gone now, a sellsword in the Golden Company doomed to die an inglorious death "You won't need to do so, since you are remaining in the open. I have arranged for the rest of my men, thirty-five in all, to be put under your command."

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by jacb547 View Post
    Griff, Docks of Pentos

Jon Connington stood on the prow of the ships looking outwards into Pentos harbor, he had kept to his word and dyed his new beard and once unkempt hair blue and oiled, a single braid fell over his shoulder. Deciding to assume the alias of "Griff" a merchant half-Westerosii half Tyroshi born on Gulltown he felt safe enough to come outside, the same however could not be said for the Targaryen children. Ser Tytos Marchwood, now posing as captain of his sellsword bodyguard was finishing returning them to their crates as soon as they said their farewells. The five other Griffin men included his newly-knighted squire Donnel Galemont and similarly newly Knighted Ser Bors of the Kingswood, Ser Erryk Sunsail, Ser Bonifer Storm and Ser Janos Dirk all of course with new alias assumed on their new Knighthood. Acknowledging Ser Janos with a nod he replied on a mongrel accent he was practicing, half Tyroshi half Westerosii, although it was but his normal voice with less Stormlandish sound.

"I plan to book passage to Volantis as soon as possible, using some of our friends' treasury, they are downstairs now saying their goodbyes. Me, Oberyn, five of my men and the Princes children but will Lady Mooton come with us? She is after all their governess and I have no experience dealing with the little ones." My children now, I must remember that.

I believe the Lady Mooton will wish to stay with the Queen. Seeing as Daenaerys will need a wet nurse. We will need to arrange for another woman, one we can trust, to watch over Rhaegar's children in the mean time.

Ser Janos didn't need to change his appearance like the others. He was a lowly knight from Dragonstone, easiest disguise ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post

I believe the Lady Mooton will wish to stay with the Queen. Seeing as Daenaerys will need a wet nurse. We will need to arrange for another woman, one we can trust, to watch over Rhaegar's children in the mean time.

Ser Janos didn't need to change his appearance like the others. He was a lowly knight from Dragonstone, easiest disguise ever.
    Griff, Docks of Pentos

"Has Lady Mooton given birth recently that I do not know? Else she won't serve much as a wet-nurse." He chuckled softly, passing his hand in his hair and to his pleasure not seeing the blue paint give way "We will ask her then if she would like to resume her functions as governess of the Princess children, otherwise they will have to do with me."

Deiyna Mooton heard the men speaking. They often did not include her in making the decisions. Earlier she didn't mind.. but now she was as good as part of everything as they where, wasn't she? She wasn't the inexperienced fourteen year old who entered the Queens service in the Red Keep. She was a loyalist in exile. A hard future laid ahead of her. She knew that. Her conversation with ser Janos made her realize that things will come as they will go. The Crone would lead her way. "Not quite ready for being a wet-nurse yet, sers" Seriously, wet-nurse? What was she? A Servant? She was a lords daughter! Viserys had always been her favourite of the children. But she had to let go now. "I will go with the new king. Rhaella can take care of her own children well enough as any other mother can. She doesn't need a waiting woman. We are not in the Red Keep anymore." she said with determination on her face, leaving no space for arguments. "Where do you suppose to get a loyal woman to go with lord Connington? If they are going into hiding, it is too risky to involve an outsider into this." she shook her head, no that would be certainly unwise. "I will go with Aegon and Rhaenys, I can't leave them alone with lord Connington." she added with a little smile on her face.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Oberyn had helped in disguising the five "knights" as sellswords, though he had no need to disguised himself - after all he was an Essosi sellsword, most inconspicuous disguise east of the Narrow Sea. Oberyn was there listening to the knights bicker over lady Mooton girl's future. I suppose the girl can come, it will save me the trouble of finding another to raise the children. But be certain she wont slow us down, this will not be a trip of comfort. There wont be warm beds or hot meals or silken sheets or golden plates, there are no lords or ladies east of the Narrow Sea so don't come in with any preconceived notions that any of you are worth anything here or deserving of your Westerosi honors. In Essos a man is what he makes of himself, lets be certain not to make slaves of ourselves and we should get by.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; July 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM.

Citizen

Janos hears Lady Mooton approach the group and speak up with her own decision. For the first time in his life, the Knight blinks and then attempts to hide sorrow. Seven above, curse you, I thought I had made a connection with a highborn gal for once! Janos had hoped Mooton would remain in Pentos with the Queen and him. But it seems she has other plans. He takes in a deep breath, as if trying to smell the sea air, that clunge to the edge of this harbor.

Then I guess this is settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Oberyn had helped in disguising the five "knights" as sellswords, though he had no need to disguised himself - after all he was an Essosi sellsword, most inconspicuous disguise east of the Narrow Sea. Oberyn was there listening to the knights bicker over lady Mooton girl's future. I suppose the girl can come, it will save me the trouble of finding another to raise the children. But be certain she wont slow us down, this will not be a trip of comfort. There wont be warm beds or hot meals or silken sheets or golden plates, there are no lords or ladies east of the Narrow Sea so don't come in with any preconceived notions that any of you are worth anything here or deserving of your Westerosi honors. In Essos a man is what he makes of himself, lets be certain not to make slaves of ourselves and we should get by.
    She looked to him, the bold look she had displayed earlier, had faded away further by every word he spoke. "But.." the tried to speak. She didn't actually knew what to say next. Yes she was accustomed to golden plates and soft beds. Yes she wanted to keep that luxury. "Certainly.. there must be some way." she protested. "The king must not be brought up a peasant."

My dear you're in Essos, there are no peasants in Essos! Just the rich, the poor, and the slaves - I think it is plain to see which we are a part of. He shrugged dismissively. Viserys and the Queen might be able to get in with some cheesemonger and keep such luxuries, if that is your wish I suggest you stay with them for the Prince's children have a much harder road ahead of them. Names like Mooton and all of your fancy titles they mean less than dirt here, that is something you will have to come to grips with. Though be glad no slavers caught us, do you know what slavers do with pretty girls in Lys?

Citizen

Ser Janos glances at the Dornish male when he speaks to Lady Mooton.

I already explained this to her, Oberyn. Explained how there are slavers who would take any pretty girl, highborn or not, to be sold for a pretty profit. How here, customs of Westeros mean nothing to Essosi people. And how you are either rich and luxurious or poor and possibly enslaved. There is no middle class, only a gap.

I do not even know where Lys is, Deinya thought, altough she didn't say it out loud. She folded her arms in defiance. There must be way. These commoners just hadn't the right connections. But to be honest, she kinda lacked friendships herself this side of the Narrow Sea. Certainly by now it would be too late to ask to be shipped back to Maidenpool. That was what she wanted the most at heart. But she would not show any more weakness towards these men. "If the Princes' children will face these hardships, I will face them with them. The queen saved my life in the Red Keep and now I will help saving her grandchildren."

Citizen

Janos glances at Deinya Mooton, who seemed determined to remain with the Prince's children. He quietly sighs and proceeds to go and check the cargo that was being taken off the boat. The knight needed to act like a hired hand for now till everything was sorted out and people were on their merry way.

Ah, but you didn't tell her those girls fill the whorehouses this side of the Narrow Sea, did you? Or that she could be shipped off to Yunkai, where they'd break her mind and fill her head with the Seven Sighs - she's a little old but I've seen Yunkishmen break older ones. He shook his head at the knight chuckling. Don't fool yourself, things are the same in Westeros for what is a peasant but a slave who as pretend freedoms, big difference is this lot has gone from the top of one food chain to the bottom of another. For men like you and me, those who know what it means to be hungry, who don't have some fancy name attached to their blood - well we've got a better chance here than we'd ever have out west, a fair shake to make something of ourselves from the sweat on our brow and the strength of our steel. You'll see.

He turned back to the girl, she was pouting like a child now. As I said, my dear. Don't slow us down and you're welcome to come. He turned to Jon. If everything has been sorted out its time for us to move, Griff.

Griff, Docks of Pentos

The blue haired merchant smiled kindly to Lady Mooton, perhaps the only one to do so "Your bravery admires me, my lady." He stroked his new blue beard "If it is the course you seek I shall not hinder you, the children would be worth to be left at my mercy I'm afraid." He chuckled softly "Welcome then, Lady Griff, or whatever name you give yourself and take care of our children. Perhaps you could think of dying your hair....." Griff spoke with a half a tone of laughter. "Yes, Oberyn, let us be off. We have precious cargo not suited to these harbors, perhaps Volantis would welcome it better."

Citizen

He turned back to the girl, she was pouting like a child now. As I said, my dear. Don't slow us down and you're welcome to come. He turned to Jon. If everything has been sorted out its time for us to move, Griff.
    Janos watches as the trio begins ready to move. For a moment there was a hesitant thought, but then he comes over, patting the shoulder of Oberyn. He speaks lowly.

​Mind if we chat before you go, Oberyn?

No, not at all, my friend - as long as you make it quick.

Citizen

No, not at all - as long as you make it quick. The men still have to load some of the cargo anyhow.
    Janos nods and walks off with Oberyn for a moment. This was the first time he would ever ask a favor of someone.

Now, Lady Mooton there. I garnered a fancy for her. And note, this is the first time I am gonna ask a favor.

He glances around for a moment before speaking further.

Allow me to take your place with Griff there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast