Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8.1 compatibility

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Default Windows 8.1 compatibility

Hi guys, medieval 1 is my first and favourite total War game of all time. However I have been trying to play it on my new pc which is windows 8.1 but it doesn't start at all. I searched a lot but no solutions. It Doesn't work on any windows 8 pc at all. Does any of you good old chaps have a work around for this? I want nostalgia Damn it :-)

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Windows 8.1 compatibility

Soo, no ideas? Anyone?

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

I have yet to hear/read about anybody who successfully managed to run (any kind of) MTW on Win8. If you wanna play some
    MTW that badly then get win7 and you should be able to play it (using a bunch of fixes or playing the more compatible mods)...

- A

No it does not unfortunately. I have tried everything but to no avail.

Campidoctor

That's really sad. I'm thinking of investing in a new computer, and likely won't be able to avoid Win 8. I wish they would make an updated version to be sold through steam..
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

What worked for me was a program called dxwnd: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ (a program normally used to force programs into windowed mode using emulation) basically you want to use default settings except for the following changes:
    1. Hot patch (obfuscated IAT) needs to be turned on under Main
    2. turn on by default set no ALPHACHANNEL under DirectX
    3. Under Direct3D turn off Clear Target Viewport
    4. under libs change GDI to Emulated Device Context.
    5. under compat change Limit Available Resources to on.

let me know if this makes sense. This seems to work on my windows 8.1 laptop at least.

Edit: You need to use 2.03.02 version or 2.03.03, I have settings that will get the game to start under current stable, but it looks like a dark room under curent stable, once I find settings for current stable that work I'll post them. until then, please use these settings and 2.03.02 or 2.03.03
    Last edited by roy_d_merkel; March 10, 2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added neccessary version numbers.

oh and you need the 2.03.02 version or 2.03.03 (I used the 2.03.03 version, under binary versions but I don't know how it's different from 2.03.02)

sadly this works perfectly on my nvidia windows 8.1 64bit laptop, but my brother's windows intel video card vista 32 bit laptop just crashes *curses*

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by roy_d_merkel View Post
    sadly this works perfectly on my nvidia windows 8.1 64bit laptop, but my brother's windows intel video card vista 32 bit laptop just crashes *curses*
    Your brother need to install this fix for newer high-end Nvidia video cards.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Hi there!

Using DxWind I get this error

"Unable to initialize Direct 3D. Please ensure that your graphic card meets minium acceleration specifications and retry "

Do you know what setting inside DxWind could fix that?

Thanks

[FIXED] I have tried the settings posted above with the version V2_03_02_build
    Last edited by IamOdysseus; February 16, 2015 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamOdysseus View Post
    Hi there!

Using DxWind I get this error

"Unable to initialize Direct 3D. Please ensure that your graphic card meets minium acceleration specifications and retry "

Do you know what setting inside DxWind could fix that?

Thanks

[FIXED] I have tried the settings posted above with the version V2_03_02_build

You have to use v2_03_02 or v2_03_03 the current stable doesn't work. I'm still trying to make it work. I'll let you know the updated settings for the newest stable when I find them.

Thanks! Anyway I'm happy for being able to play Shogun/Medieval un Windows 8.1

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Holy crap it's been fixed? I'm checking the instructions now.

I can't get it to work on my 32 bit intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Judah View Post
    I can't get it to work on my 32 bit intel.

Hmm... I got it to work on 64bit intel nvidia laptop, but it may not work in 32 bit (which could be possible, I don't have a 32bit windows 8.1 capable machine to test it on myself -- my windows 8.1 is 64 bit.) or it maybe a graphics card thing, (I don't know how all of the magic GHO does in dxwnd, so I can't guarentee on graphics card other then nvidia gtx 660m which is my graphics card.)

But before we assume that, let me ask a couple of questions:

1. are you using dxwnd 2.03.03 using the settings provided (if you use the current stable it won't work, I can get it to run on current stable dxwnd to load the game without crash, but it looks like a black room.)
    2. are you starting the game from dxwnd with the CD in the drive.
    3. what error are you seeing?

Another thing you might try is turning off "limit resources". Limit resrouces is only neccessary on 64bit machines since they have > the 4GB of memory that Medieval: Total War knows how to use. So try that as well. Because I wonder if "Limit Resources" would cause a crash on machines that are already 32 bit.
    Last edited by roy_d_merkel; March 18, 2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Random thought about limit resources.

ill try turning it off. i think i was using that version.

i can't make it work.

rats...

You might try playing around with settings until something good happens, or you might wait until I figure out the settings that work in new stable (right now I'm waiting on next stable as I can't figure out a set of settings for the new stable that doesn't end up with a black screen when the game actually starts.)

BTW. What are you seeing? Is it erroring when trying to start, or are you getting the black screen, or what are you seeing?

Doesn't work for me either on my 64 bit Intel HD. I tried a while ago it gave an error which I've forgotten on those settings so I messed around with them but nothing changed apart from it opening on a black screen and then crashing for some settings

Quote Originally Posted by chrissher123 View Post
    Doesn't work for me either on my 64 bit Intel HD. I tried a while ago it gave an error which I've forgotten on those settings so I messed around with them but nothing changed apart from it opening on a black screen and then crashing for some settings
    EDIT: I seem to remember using a later version than those versions though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast