Thread: A problem whit strart.txt

Default A problem whit strart.txt

I moded, the greek situation a bit ( gave them more population, and a new character).
    I wanted too test the changes, but there is some error, but i cant figure it out :hmmm: . When I exit the game, the error mesage ehit the bad line pops up : Line 406, culum 16: population is too low for a Large_town, min is 400. The problem is, there is no city on line 460.
    Dosenīt meather i found it, i just made the same mistacke more thimes, when finding the line, ant aditionali, didnīt see the failur (i have acidently pushed enter, on befor the number of inhabitants of the first Julii city)
    Last edited by Ower8x; October 21, 2006 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Miscalculation

Default Re: A problem whit strart.txt

Suggest you go back to vanilla descr_strat file, check that loads ( in case you've made other changes to other files) and then modify one item at a time, i.e one character / one change to one city, only, so if problem re-occurs you can isolate problem - then if you don't understand it post the relevant last change to descr_strat

Well that one, is O.K now, i can start a campain, but, now i tried, 1. turn for 3 diferent factions, but the game crashed when the Bruti sailed with their ship to Tarentum. This time Iīm realy helples

Assume that is to do with fact that you can now 'see' Tarentum so any problems with it as region have surfaced?! If you had fog of war on before use 'Ž' key to activate rome shell and type in toggle_fow (enter/return) to turn it off then see if game crashes when you try and view Tarentum.

If so does Tarentum have different faction creators / default factions in descr_strat / regions? (whether this is problem or not has been discussed before but as far as I know not really resolved)

Have you removed any factions from descr_strat? if you do that then I think you have to make corresponding changes to descr_regions and also possibly descr_rebel_factions....

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Moved to the Hall of Scribes.

I forgot I gave Athen to the Greeks, could that be the problem?, I deletet the rebel thad should spawn in Athen, but could be another problem with it?
    I looked in the files, and in Region.Txt there is tharentum, and Athens, exactli as the otehrs roman and greek cities.
    And the faction creator of Tarentum are romans_julii, asi it is whit all the other Roman towns.

I tried a more times, and now it crashes down, right when you should enter the campaing map.
    Last edited by Ower8x; October 22, 2006 at 03:24 AM.

Could you zip and post the files you've changed? Use something like:
    http://www.filehosting.cc/index.php
    and paste the link it gives you into a reply here.

If you do that could you also state clearly which version of RTW you are using - 1.3 / 1.5 etc and wether it is vanilla (original) version or if it has already had any modifications.

http://www.filehosting.cc/file/10769/changes-rar.html

I have version 1.5, I changed this: Gave Athens to the Greek_Cities, Gave them a new Character: Demosthenes of Sparta to occupy Athens, Increased the population in all their cities a bit (exept Pergamun). And gave the Greeks in each army an unit.
    In In Rebelfactions, i must have accidently deleted deleted the Athenians, canīt find them there.
    (I am not gone play them, I just tu make them harder, from the begining)

Yes you are missing athenians from descr_rebel_factions, you should put that back in, incase you've lost vanilla version this is code you're missing - check that the formatting stays the same if you paste it in:
    Code:
    rebel_type 			Athenians	//Macedon
    category			peasant_revolt 
    chance				0					
    description			Athenians
    unit				greek peasant
    unit				greek hoplite militia
    unit				greek hoplite
    unit				greek cavalry
    unit				generic rebel general
    You don't need to make any changes in that file to change what appears on map at start, that just defines what rebels are generated in region later.

There at least two problems in your descr_strat. In Armenian section you have used Jasmine for wifes name IF you haven't ammened descr_names then that is from wrong factions section - changing that to Pigat gets me past loading CTD.

In greek cities family section you have carriage return in Xantippe's character description which is having effect of 'removing' (by not being read) the factions that are below that point - which is probably cause of your early crash on scrolling (similar symptoms to if you deliberately remove faction but mess it up).

Putting those two points right should get you back to generating -show_err errors, first of which is regarding Hermine of Sparta, he's not working because he's older than the son listed before him in relative section - they have to be in descending order of age..

There may well, be more....... Good Luck,

I didnīt quit understand the problem whit Xantippa ? I go it ower and ower again, but i just canīt see, wherse the problem, and how the lines where she is used are diferent from the others.

Code:
    character_record		Clymene, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 53, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Harmonia, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 32, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Eunice, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 30, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Kyra, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 26, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Xantippe, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 14, alive, 
    never_a_leader
    character_record		Hermine of Sparta, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 9, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Athis, 	female, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 0, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Cleon of Sparta, 	male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 14, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Doros of Sparta, 	male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 11, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Eugenius of Sparta, 	male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 7, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Nicanor of Sparta, 	male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 3, alive, never_a_leader
    character_record		Perikles of Sparta, 	male, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 0, alive, never_a_leader
    that's pasted from the descr_strat you uploaded, when you've typed Xantippe's character record, you've hit enter / return - (sorry I called it carriage return which is from old typing days!) - and split her character record onto two lines. All the RTW text files are sensitive about things like that if all the information for something is normally just on one line you have to keep it that way!

now this is bisare, what Iīm geting now, is Line 3351, canīt find next child , childrenlist must by terminated whit an end, but I have ends non the end of every relative line in the file, or i am just blind.

On that line you've got
    Eugeniu of Sparta,
    but the name in the character record above (and in original file) is
    Eugenius of Sparta,
    You do have to be very careful when altering these, files - and did I mention in - future make changes in very small steps!

P.S ignore what I said before about Hermine, it was the line 3351 error I was getting and I misread the lines!

thanks, it works now, im just testing how, Iīll remember to be carfule, whit the letars and enters