Thread: [Westeros] Kings and Kingdoms

Default [Westeros] Kings and Kingdoms

I've wanted to do something like this for awhile. Keeping in mind i've never really written a story before, if you want to call it a story. I felt i'd use a recently finished hotseat as a base for this AAR/Roleplay. Our tale begins in Dorne as Doran Martell receives a raven from Stannis Baratheon, detailing his claim to the Iron Throne and desire for Dornish support in the coming conflict that is about to erupt. Who shall sit upon the Iron Throne?.

Prologue: A Game of Diplomacy
    Prince Doran called his most trusted lords to a council that, in public at least, was called to address the growing conflicts across Westeros. In truth they were there to discus a raven received from Stannis Baratheon, one detailing promises of title and vengeance in return for Dornes support in the conflict against King Joffrey; who was considered weak and ill-fit by most, not to mention inbred if the claims of Stannis could be believed. Still the men in attendance spoke their peace, with Oberyn Martell speaking quite loudly in favor of taking Stannis up on his offer. Renly Baratheon was dead and the Stormlords backed Stannis, but one could not ignore the threat of House Tyrell who seemed to have abandoned Stannis upon his brothers somewhat mysterious death, while Dornish scouts recently report signs of a large host starting to gather in the Reach...

They argued for some time, but eventually came to a decision despite a few lords disagreement.

"Vengeance and Justice" Oberyn spoke with a devilish grin

"Vengeance and Justice"
    Prince Doran replied, giving a quick nod to his younger brother as he turned to exit the room

Dorne marches into the conflict with the promise of vengeance. It's certainly a good enough reason to fight, but who will truly give that what has been promised?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Stannis the Mannis View Post
    To the People of Dorne,

I am a just king. While my brother did not give you justice when he had the chance I shall not baulk. If it is the head of Gregor Clegane, or Tywin, you shall have it. The dornish people shall have their vengeance, even though our families were once enemies.

Stannis Baratheon, King of Westeros
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    Stannis Baratheon,

You are just, but weak. House Tyrell is in talks with King Joffrey and should they join with him you will be surrounded and friendless, unable to offer us Justice. Dorne shall not join the side of a lost cause because of false promises of vengeance. You are alone and shall remain alone. As such i turn to King Joffrey in the hope that he shall offer Justice for my sister and her children. Dorne is willing to forgive Tywin Lannister, but we can not forgive the hands that caused the injustice, those of Gregor Clegane and Ser Amory Lorch.

~ Doran Martell, Prince of Dorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Stannis the Mannis View Post
    Doran Martell,

I am weak? At least I can walk at the head of my army. I stood against the might of the reach without hope for two years. I served in the small council for my brother since the end of your Targaryen kings. I have gathered the entirety of the Stormlands to my whim. You sit and ponder and insult, siding with the man who has won only a single victory. The boy-king is illegitimate and thus has no claim to the throne. Other lords agree with me, and once your Joffrey 'Baratheon' is killed they shall rise up and be counted for who they are, true and noble men.

Stannis Baratheon, King of Westeros

Chapter 1
    Chapter 1 - Part 1: The Prince
    The raven came during the night and Oberyn began reading the letter aloud...

"House Tyrell hereby declares for King Joffrey"
    Oberyn paused to smile before continuing, "A marriage between his grace and my daughter Margaery has aligned House Hill of King's Landing with my own. We will now aid the Lannisters against any and all who shall rise against them. House Florent of Brightwater Keep, have raised their flags in the name of Stannis Baratheon. As cowardly men of the Reach, we have granted Lord Colin Florent free passage to join his King. All lands and titles given to him within the Reach have been relinquished. Signed, Mace Tyrell". Oberyn somewhat elaborated Lord Maces words while reading the letter, but the point was made clear as day.

This turn of events had been predicted well enough during the war council. Prince Doran knew all too well that Lord Mace stood to gain little from joining Stannis now that his daughter was not married to a King, but he failed to foresee young Margaery being wed to another so quickly after her previous husbands death. Oberyn was far from concernd, and in fact many of the men present were overjoyed at the idea of once again teaching the highborn reachmen fools a thing or two about dornish might.

"Any other news?" Ser Gerold Dayne spoke up

"Indeed." Oberyn replied, "King Stannis has taken the castles of Stonedance and Rook's Rest, along with the town of Duskendale."

"If we don't move faster there wont be anyone left for us to fight" Gerold smiled and a few lords laughed at his remark.

"Rest assured there will be plenty of Reachmen left for us to crush" Lord Anders Yronwood interjected

The dornish host was camped in the Prince's Pass, still awaiting the few remaining banners to arrive before moving towards their first real taste of combat since they were called. Meanwhile news of King Robbs successes were spreading far and wide like wildfire, as the Young Wolf had crushed House Frey and taken the Twins for himself before Lord Frey could attempt any betrayal. House Greyjoy had claimed Kingship for themselves, moving North to strike at the undefended lands of King Robb.

The last remaining letter was sealed by the sigil of House Martell. "Lord Yronwood, you have the command." Oberyn spoke swiftly, passing the letter to Lord Anders and storming out of the command tent.

Chapter 1 - Part 2: The Princess
    King's Landing was alive with merriment upon hearing the news of the upcoming wedding...

"Your grace" Arianne greeted King Joffrey, having been at the capital for nearly a month now she'd gotten used to dealing with this boy-king.

"Princess Arianne" Joffrey acknowledged her but spoke little when confronted by the Princess of Dorne, be it due to her beauty or the impressive personal guard given to her by Prince Doran, who had given them strict orders to kill anyone that dared harm their princess be it a commoner or a king; this both scaring and infuriating Joffrey to no end but he had been told by his mother and other advisers to avoid angering the Martells.

"Congratulations on your new bribe your grace, she is quite beautiful." Arianne smiled and awaited a reply

"Thank you, i-" Joffrey was interrupted as Aurane Waters approached and whispered something in the kings ear that made him smile, "Another time princess, i have a war to win."

Arianne awoke the next day in the bedchambers of Aurane Waters having used her charm the previous night to learn what secrets the bastard held. Unfortunately she learned little, since it appeared Sandor Clegane was in charge of the Crownlands defense and Waters was nothing but a scout, she did however learn that whispers around camp spoke of a trap being set for the usurper Stannis Baratheon. She rose from the bed and Arianne noted that Waters had clearly been gone for some time as she moved over towards a desk and started writing a detailed letter to inform her father of all she had learned about the enemies plans.

"Princess Ar-" the captain of Ariannes guard barged into the room as she was in the middle of writing her letter, she only laughed at the man as she sat up and began to get dressed. "Well?" she said, still haft undressed "Is this news so urgent that you must enter uninvited?" she paused for a moment, the captain had averted his eyes by this point but still have a scene of great urgency about him. "Why are the bells ringing captain?."

"It's King Stannis..." The captain spoke and awaited Ariannes orders, but he got only silence.

Chapter 2
    Chapter 2 - Part 1: The Invasion
    "Uncle, i have grim tidings. Stannis Baratheon was allowed to seize the town of Duskendale, being lured into a trap at Antlers the forces of Sandor Clegane have managed to capture him. His execution is to be held immediately and he will be lost by the time this raven reaches you. His cause is lost with him and what remains of his troops are now being lead by House Florent, while the Lannisters are forcing me to remain in the capital despite my expressed wishes to return home to Sunspear."

These are the words Oberyn read prior to leaving his troops under the command of Lord Yronwood, he left in great haste to do what he knew had to be done. The council had discussed this possibility in great detail...

"Daemon" Oberyn called his squire, "Is everything in place?, this must be perfectly executed."

"The captains have reported in and everything seems to be in order, they await your word."
    Daemon spoke and awaited quite eagerly

Oberyn gave a nod and the ravens flew from the command ship, off to give word to the other sections of the fleet that the invasion was to begin. The plan was to strike, hard and fast, before anyone on the mainland could move to prevent their advance. Lord Yronwood had already lead haft of his host from the Princes Pass to siege Blackhaven castle, and while Oberyn had barely haft the men of Yronwoods host his role was vital if the plan was to succeed.

"So it begins" Oberyn spoke with a heavy heart. This was not the original purpose of the fleet, it was meant to join with Stannis at Dragonstone for a joint assault on King's Landing.

Ser Arron Qorgyle was given command of the left flank, tasked with taking Stonehelm. Oberyn gave his squire Daemon Sand a place of honor as commander of the right flank, despite his bastard stats he was tasked with the siege of Rain House while Oberyn himself lead the center towards the castle of Mistwood. The plan would cripple the Stormlands and ease Dornes relationship with the Iron Throne, now that King Stannis was dead Prince Doran simply desired the safety of his daughter, and his people.

"Sunspear!", "Dorne", "Prince Oberyn" were the screams that filled the air as the siege of Mistwood began, and just as planned the castle held merely a skeleton garrison that quickly surrendered once the gates were breached.

"Pathetic." Ser Ryone Gargalen laughed as he drew his sword from the chest of a fallen stormlander, wiping the blood off while grinning as the few survivors of a garrison were allowed to leave the castle unharmed.

Oberyn had a dislike of the young lad but he was skilled with a blade and showed great promise at command, even if he did act strange at times. All Oberyn could hope for now is that the others were successful in their own sieges.

Chapter 2 - Part 2: Battle at Blackhaven
    The main host arrived close to Blackhaven under the command of Lord Anders Yronwood, who immediately hatched a plan to greatly weaken the castles garrison. Lord Harmen Uller was given this task...

"Run them down lads!" Harmen shorted the order and lead the cavalry charge himself against the small party of stormlander scouts, forcing them to flee the field towards the safety of Blackhaven in the hope that the castle garrison would offer them assistance. "That's it, flee to your castle." Harmen whispered to himself as the plan worked exactly as Lord Yronwood said it would. The Blackhaven garrison was lead by Ser Richard Horpe, who was widely known to be hotblooded and Yronwoods plan rested on this enemies weakness. Horpe opened the castle gates and in his blind desire for battle failed to foresee the second dornish host closing in on his flanks, by the time he noticed it was too late.

Lord Yronwoods plan worked quite perfectly, although it was somewhat risky since it rested entirely on Horpe sallying out from the walls. The dornish host easily crushed the enemy and killed Ser Richard Horpe in the process, upon seeing their commanders fate what remained of the garrison laid down their arms and handed over the castle in exchange for their lives. The day was won as news arrived from Prince Oberyn that the sieges of Mistwood, Stonehelm and Rain House had all been a success, suffering very limited casualties.

"This is going better than expected." Ser Gerold Dayne spoke as he took a seat in the great hall of Blackhaven next to Lord Uller, "Any word from Prince Oberyn as to when we'll be moving on?."

"None as of yet." Lord Anders paused for a moment, "Oberyn is leading whats left of his invasion force towards Storm's End where he plans to join with the Tyrells in a siege. We are to remain here and await his word as to our next move."

This did not sit well with Gerold, who gave Lord Yronwood a quick stare before standing up and taking his leave. "A skilled swordsmen certainly, but that man has little understanding of patience" Anders thought to himself.

"Any other news?." Lord Harmen spoke

"Nothing important." Anders replied, "Lord Florent has sent a plea that we stand down and join him, making some outlandish claims of a plan to take the capital."

"He plans to assault King's Landing?" this shocked Harmen greatly, "Is he mad?, his troops are scattered and their King is dead."

"So he claims. If he fails it's less bloodshed for us however." Anders sounded quite cold in that moment, but Uller agreed well enough with the statement.

There was a short moment of silence until Uller spoke, "What if he succeeds?." Anders merely looked at his fellow lord and for once in this campaign the great Lord of Yronwood was clueless.

Chapter 3
    Chapter 3 - Part 1: The Wedding
    The capital was more alive than Arianne had ever witnessed. The victory against Stannis had raised spirits high and in a bid to secure his new alliances, the royal weddings date had been pushed forward. Princess Arianne had been kept as a prisoner in all but name, this giving her father no choice but to side with the Iron Throne against those still loyal to Stannis. The wedding was exceedingly beautiful and succeeded in distracting the commoners from the fact that King Robb was still gaining victories against the Westerlands.

"Let it be known that Margaery of House Tyrell and Joffrey of the Houses Lannister and Baratheon, are one heart, one flesh, and one soul." the High Seton spoke as he began the ceremony.

"Your certain about this?." Arianne was ignoring the ceremony, having a troubling conversation with Lord Varys.

"I am. It's been decided i'm afraid." Varys replied, clearly quite confident.

"Prince Doran would never allow it," The captain of Ariannes guard had overheard the discussion, not surprising since the entire guard was stuck to the princess like glue since they were refused passage from the city. "I wont allow it!."

"Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." The High Septon continued.

Arianne smiled at the captain, both as a gesture of thanks and to silence him. "They'd wed me off against my will to the boy then, not-"

Vary interrupted, "Don't do anything rash. Tommen is young and they will certainly wait until he is older before forcing the issue, i felt you'd wish to know beforehand however."

"They expect me to wed that boy?."
    Arianne thought to herself as Vary walked away. Suddenly she was surrounded by her guards, who'd spotted a suspicious man advancing towards her.

"State your intent assassin!." the captain spoke softly as to avoid gaining the attention of the entire court, disarming the man and passing his longsword to a fellow guardsmen. "Speak, or die where you stand."

"My name-" the man took a moment to catch his breath. "My name is Colin Florent."

"We're under attack!."
    the doors flung open as Janos Slynt stormed in and awaited orders from King Joffrey, but got only silence as the king stood in shock.

Jaime Lannister interjected, "Is it the Stark boy?"

"No. It's-" Janos paused for a moment and found it hard to believe his own words.

Chapter 3 - Part 2: The Ghost
    It was surprise that would win them this day. The army moved out of it's cover in the treeline, into the open to move against the crownlander host camped outside King's Landings walls. They had taken them unawares, and flew the banners of a man who everyone thought long dead; this alone striking fear into the hearts of the crownlanders as they panicked and ran to equip themselves for the coming battle, with the banners of a ghost coming closer.

"Stannis!" they screamed as the heavy cavalry crashed against unprepared troops, unlucky enough to be on the edge of the camp. Leading the charge appeared to be Stannis Baratheon, in his full plate armor and helm, wielding Lightbringer as he bravely drew first blood in the charge. Behind the cavalry more troops carrying the banners of King Stannis descended upon the camp, surrounding the poor souls and cutting them down without so much as a whisper of mercy.

"For the King!." Ser Gilbert Farring yelled as he lead the secondary wave against the King's Landing garrison that had sallied out in a vain attempt to assist the camp. They clashed, with Ser Farring not giving them a chance to join up with the main camp, his troops outnumbered those of the garrison and easily routed them back into the city while taking only minor losses. Janos Slynt cowardly abandoned his men and fled behind the city walls to close the gates.

"Victory is ours lads, run them all down. No survivors!" The Ghost of Stannis spoke as he commanded his troops to kill all those loyal to the false king Joffrey. Sandor Clegane fled the field but killed many during his flight.

The battle was over and King's Landing was now garrisoned by only a small force of scared and wounded men. Wiping the blood off Lightbringer the Ghost of Stannis dismounted his horse and rallied his commanders to him.

"Have we heard from my brother?" The Ghost spoke and began to remove his helm.

Ser Gilbert was the first to answer. "Yes my lord. Colin is inside the city with his men and should execute the plan any moment now."

Chapter 3 - Part 3: The Slaughter
    Ser Colin had planned this moment out for quite some time, and now after much waiting the time had come. All he had to do now was explain things to Princess Arianne before her guards decided to slit his throat.

"It's Stannis." Janos Slynt muttered

"Stannis?. We executed him you blind fool!." Jaime yelled as he struck Slynt in the chest, causing him to fall to his knees.

"There is no time to explain, you must leave this room immediately." Ser Colin gestured towards the rafters, revealing a dozen men loading crossbows.

Arianne noticed them, along with a handful of men in the crowds gasping their swords. "I see." she paused, "Captain you are to remain here and aid Ser Conlin, i will take two of your men with me but the others shall remain with you."

"My princess, i think-" the captain argued in vain. Arianne sighed, kissed him and along with two of her guard, left with great speed.

Jaime Lannister meanwhile was issuing orders to the men in the room. "Secure the doors and for the love of the gods get the-"

"Aaaah!" Margaery screamed, "The Kin-"

A moment of silence fell over the room as King Joffrey and his bribe slumped to the floor with crossbow bolts piercing their hearts.

"For Stannis!" Ser Colin screamed as he drew his blade and slit the throat of Tommen. Others quickly followed as they began to slay nobles and commoners alike.

Jaime rushed to the Kings side, but he was dead the moment the bolt stuck his heart. He stood up from the body of his bastard son and drew his sword knowing this would be his last fight.

Ser Colin turned to issue another order to his men, "Crossbows, fire at-" he paused, chocking on his own blood as he looked down to see a sword had been driven into his back.

"A Lannister always pays his debts." Jaime whispered into Colins ear as he removed his sword. Seconds later the crossbowmen let loose, and Jaime Lannister drew his last breath.

Chapter 4
    Chapter 4 - Part 1: Storm's End
    King Joffrey was dead along with all his siblings during the events known as the Red Wedding, a name given by the small folk who were lucky enough to be uninvited to the massacre. Lord Alex Florent had taken King's Landing in the name of his fallen king and for now at least, the Iron Throne was empty while those loyal to House Baratheon argued over who would be crowned the new king. House Martell meanwhile were contemplating the future of Dorne.

"Edric Storm. Have you come to surrender?, bend the knee to the king and you'll be shown mercy." Garlan Tyrell spoke to the young bastard, who had ridden out from Storm's End with a handful of knights at his back.

Edric replied with a smile, "I offer you the same mercy Ser Garlan, but will not offer it a second time."

"You are surrounded and outnumbered." Garlan laughed at the boy, pausing a monument to shoot a confident grin at the Prince who stood next to him.

"Prince Oberyn." Edric addressed the Red Viper, showing far more respect to the prince than he'd shown to Ser Garlan.

Oberyn gave a nod in response. "I regret that it has come to this, but sometimes ones personal honor must be sacrificed for the good of those he has sworn to protect."

"Well said." Edric replied but was clearly holding back.

"Enough talk gentlemen. If you will not stand down peacefully, then you give us no other choice." Garlan spoke up and ended the talks, clearly taking a dislike to Oberyns content towards the bastard.

"You always have a choice." Edric issued these words like he was Robert Baratheon reborn, staring at his foe he spoke quickly before turning his horse around. "If you will not lay down your arms then come now little knight, come and i beg of you to recall the name of this castle you seek to besiege." Edric had reached the gates and entered the castle safely only to be surrounded by his men who anxiously awaited word of Ser Garlans reply.

Edric gave them the news and spoke only three words. "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken."

Chapter 4 - Part 2: The Iron Throne
    The fox of House Florent flew proudly above the walls of King's Landing, while the Red Keep once again stood tall wielding the crowned stag of House Baratheon. Since the Red Wedding the entire Crownlands nobles had flocked to the capital to swear fealty to whoever happened to be sitting the throne, with some of the lesser lords thinking Stannis had actually returned from the grave and had expected to see him upon the Iron Throne. It was empty however, causing much debate. Meanwhile far from the throne room the black cells were filled with captives of importance, being kept for ransom or execution. Cersei Lannister was among them, praying for death.

"Shireen is not right, she is of the female line and a rumored bastard." One noble in the crowd made his voice heard

Another quickly countered him, "I'll have your tongue for those words!".

"Edric is the only living son of King Robert!." Another interjected just as quickly as the last.

The discussion had gone on for what felt like hours as Lord Axell Florent presided over them from his seat directly beside the empty Iron Throne. The two prime candidates were Shireen Baratheon as the only child of Stannis, and the other was Edric Storm who had claim as King Roberts only known male son. The opinion of the lords was quite even and as such the talks continued on, until Princess Arianne made her voice known.

"Princess Arianne of Dorne will speak!." Ariannes captain got the attention of the court, having to raise his voice greatly to overcome that of the nobles bickering.

"My lords, i reserved word from my father and i bring news. Storm's End is under siege by a Garlan Tyrell and my uncle Oberyn, while Edric Storm is leading the castle garrison and-" Arianne was interrupted before she could finish.

"Dornish whore, your father betrays us and will now slay Edric!." The lord screamed and foolishly drew his blade.

"You'll die for those words alone!." the captain spoke as he and his men prepared to defend the princess.

Lord Axell stood up from his seat before any blood could be shed. "Enough!, get this fool out of the capital before he gets himself killed and starts another war. I apologize princess, please continue."

"My lord." Arianne smiled as thanks for Lord Axells quick actions, ending a situation that would have ended in nothing but pointless bloodshed. "As i was saying, my uncle stands beside Ser Garlan. Prince Doran offers you an alliance sealed in blood between Dorne and the Iron Throne, and together suggests we deal with the Tyrells once and for all. Dose this offer interest you my lord?." Arianne awaited an answer knowing that Lord Florent could not refuse.

"It dose." he replied as the court was for once, in complete silence.

"These are our terms. I, Arianne of House Nymeros Martell shall wed King Edric Baratheon and Princess Shireen Baratheon is to wed Prince Quentyn Martell upon such a time that she comes of age. In return these marriages shall bind the Princedom of Dorne to the Kingdom of the Iron Throne from now until the end of time, but Dorne will forever remain a free and independent realm away from the rule of the Iron Throne." Arianne paused for Lord Florents reaction.

"And if we refuse?" Lord Axell replied, more curious than anything.

"If you refuse?. Arianne replied, "We shall offer very much the same to the Tyrells, sealing all your fates. Storm's End would fall and with it Edric Storm, ending the male line of Baratheon."

Axell stood from his seat. "You expect to build an alliance on threats?." he spoke coldly.

"No threats here my lords, merely promises." Arianne smiled "Dorne shall be independent regardless of your choice, but we would much rather fight at your side as friends than choice the far easier road of siding with Highgarden."

The room remained silent. All knew that if Dorne sided with the Tyrells they would succeed, since taking the capital had drained the Florents military strength greatly and they would never be able to withstand the might of the Reach, yet alone fight against Dorne at the same time. Princess Arianne was correct that it would be far easier for Prince Doran to side with the Tyrells, yet he had offered friendship to them first even if it was demanding.

"Fight with us and gain your victory. What say you?." she paused and began to address the entire courtroom. "I am Princess Arianne Martell. What say you?." Lord Axell sat down and smiled at the Princess of Dorne.

"What say you!." Arianne all but commanded the lords present, who now looked to Lord Florent for the answer.

Chapter 5
    Chapter 5 - Part 1: A Thousand Daggers
    The siege of Storm's End had begun. Garlan Tyrell led the Reachmen with his host consisting of heavy infantry and a handful of knights who had dismounted for the siege. Oberyn Martell led his own men at the flank of Garlans troops, with the archers positioned atop a small hill while Prince Oberyn stood idle with the cavalry section, officially waiting for Garlans troops to open the gates before leading the charge against whatever small garrison was inside the walls.

"So it begins." Prince Oberyn whispered to himself and gave the signal to Daemon.

"Alright lads, lets do this." Daemon smiled at the man next to him and shouted "Notch!" as he notched his own bow.

Ryone Gargalen stood beside Daemon as the word was given and the archers readied themselves.

"Draw!." Daemon commanded again and held his bow steady, pointed at the enemy on the field below.

"Loose!." Oberyn gave the final command, announcing the dornish plan to those unlucky enough to be in the sights of the archers.

The first wave of arrows were set loose as Garlan Tyrells forces looked to the sky in horror. In this moment Edric Storm's own arrows let loose to join the bloodbath, falling down on the reachmen like a thousand daggers sent by the gods themselves. There was no hope for Garlans men as arrows continually fell upon their ranks, causing the poor souls to panic and attempt escape from the rain of death. Those that survived did not last long.

"Hold!." Daemon commanded and looked to his Prince.

Oberyn reared his horse and led the cavalry in a charge against those few that remained alive on the field, cutting them down like daisy's.

"I told you." Garlan heard a voice and attempted to regain his wits.

"He'll live." Oberyn spoke, this voice Garlan knew as it filled him his rage.

The other man knelt before him and smiled. "I told you," the man repeated "you always have a choice."

"Storm?" Garlan thought to himself, in too much pain to stand yet alone reach out and kill the bastard who mocked him now.

"I apologize for this mess Garlan." Oberyn spoke, "I've kept the news from you, least you catch wind of my plans for this day. Your-" Edric interrupted him.

"Your bastard of a king is dead, along with all his kin and your whore of a sister." Edric spoke coldly and grinned at his defeated enemy.

"I-" Garlan had words for this bastard and the traitorous viper, but news of his sisters death had stolen those words from his lips.

"It was a bloodier event than i'd have liked, and i am sorry for your sisters death. I hear it was quick at least." Oberyns words were sincere, he had no hate for the Tyrells.

"Ser Garlan Tyrell." Edric was commanding as he addressed his enemy, "I offer you and your house this chance to bend the knee, return to Highgarden and recommend peace to your father. Refuse and you will die."

Garlan tried to laugh but merely coughed up some blood. "Bend the knee?. Stannis is dead, you have no king."

"I am your king." Edric spoke calmly, enjoying the look of confusion on Garlans face.

"This is Edric Baratheon, King on the Iron Throne. You owe him your allegiance." Oberyn spoke, only haft believing those words.

Garlan had managed to stand by this point. "You are no king of mine, bastard." he sneered and spat blood in Edrics face.

"You insolent little-" Edric drew his sword and prepared to strike, but was halted by Oberyn.

"He is a knight. Let him die with a sword in hand." Oberyn suggested, not wishing to shame the lad anymore than they had already done.

"As you wish. Ser Garlan, pick up your sword and die with honor." Edric stared at Garlan

Once again Garlan spat in Edrics face. "Burn in the seven hells, you bas-"

With a swift stroke of his sword King Edric slit the throat of Ser Garlan, securing the Stormlands but starting the War of the South.

Chapter 5 - Part 2: Battle at Ashford
    Lord Anders Yronwood has gained word from Prince Doran with orders to move against the Reach. The men were eager for battle, having been camped at Blackhaven for too long now they cheered when Lord Anders shared the news that they'd be leading the vanguard against House Tyrell and the nearby host of Lord Tarly. If they won here, the doors to the Reach would swing open for them and their enemy would have lost their best general.

It was night by the time they arrived, and by the grace of the gods they came upon Tarlys host without their approach being detected. "Uller, take the cavalry to that treeline and remain hidden until i give the signal." Anders spoke.

"It'll be done. They wont stand a-". Lord Harmen replied but was cut off before he could finish.

"Don't be a fool Harmen. Lord Tarly is not to be underestimated." Anders snapped at Uller and thought to himself, "Half of the Ullers are half-mad, and the other half are worse."

Lord Uller took his host of cavalry north towards a nearby treeline, just out of view from Tarlys camp.

"Dayne, you have the left flank." Anders ordered and gave a nod to Ser Gerold.

The horns sounded and awoke the reachmen from their sleep, quickly rushing to their posts. They would be prepared by the time the two hosts clashed, but would be shaken still.

"Dorne!", "Prince Doran!", "Sunspear!", filled the air as Anders led the main force down the center to clash will the bulk of Lord Tarlys force. The two hosts clashed just outside the walls of the camp.

Lord Anders pulled his sword out from the chest of a lad who had attempted to match him in single combat, his tunic a dark azure under the red crimson of blood.

"Hobber!." a knight bellowed and charged at Lord Yronwood with a fury in his eyes.

Anders dodged the boys charge, grabbing him around the neck and driving a sword into his back. "Redwyne". Anders thought to himself as he noticed the two lads shared the same sigil.

"Now!". Anders commanded, giving word to send the signal. Moments later as Anders continued the fight, his cavalry appeared from the treeline with Lord Uller at it's head.

"Our flank you fools!" a man screamed as he noticed the cavalry charge moving in behind them.

The force led by Anders had been surrounded on three fronts by this point, but that was the plan. Uller was not alone as Dayne joined with his own charge from the left and began to turn the tide of the battle.

"Retreat!. We must-" a man with the colors of House Blackbar spoke moments before being cut down by a passing dornish knight.

Lord Tarly had underestimated the size of the enemy host, who now outnumbered his own two to one. He had no choice but to order a full retreat, and they quickly fled for the walls of their camp.

The battle was a victory and those who did not die upon the field were now trapped inside their encampment. Lord Yronwood ordered the camp surrounded and scouts posted around to inform them of any reinforcements that may attempt to lift their siege on the camp. Yronwood sat in the command tend, eating with the other lords present while their men and other wounded were treated. They were in no rush and would let Lord Tarly rot a little for now.

"My lords." a messenger entered the tent.

Lord Anders stood to greet him, shaking his hand before taking the letter. He looked at Ser Gerold once he'd finished reading.

"Starfall has fallen to the Tyrells." Anders spoke and Ser Gerold quickly stopped drinking.

"The castle was abandoned upon the sighting of the Tyrell fleet." Anders added, hoping it would calm Gerold.

"I must return to Dorne, don't try and stop me. I-" Gerold was grasping his hilt, quite serious in his desire to return home.

Anders interrupted him. "No need for that Gerold, i will be giving you command of the second host. You are to lead them to the Princes Pass and join with Prince Oberyn, who is sailing for Yronwood as we speak."

With that haft of the dornish troops went south under the command of Gerold Dayne to repel the Invasion of Dorne. The other haft remained under the command of Anders Yronwood with the task of dealing with the remains of Tarlys host before grouping up with the Florents and pushing deeper into the Reach. Prince Oberyn had won the siege of Storm's End and upon hearing the news of Starfall had turned his troops around, sailing south to Yronwood.

Chapter 6
    Chapter 6 - Part 1: The Tides of War
    Things had taken a turn for the worst of late, with news from the Florents of a great defeat at a crossing to the north and a more recent blunder at the hands of Anders own man, who stood before him now in the ruins of a Tyrell fort that had recently fallen to the main host of dornishmen. Lord Uller had ridden ahead of the host without permission in hope of taking CiderHall, and the glory, for himself. He failed however and fell pray to the Knight of Flowers.

"I place far too much trust in you." Lord Anders addressed Uller, quietly staring at him with disapproval as he attempted to defend his actions.

"I underestimated their numbers, i wont happen again." Uller continued to speak but Anders thoughts drifted away from Ullers failings.

"Enough." Anders rose from his seat and Uller fell back into line. "We have more pressing matters to deal with. Dorne is under siege, the Florents fail us on the northern front and you my lord have cost us greatly."

"I-"
    Uller once again attempted to explain himself but was quickly shot down.

"How many did we lose?" Anders sighed, growing tired of Ullers continued attempts to justify his actions.

"Around two hundred at last count, not forgetting some deserters." Uller lowered his head as Anders and the other lords in attendance looked at him with disgust, as painful as any dagger.

Lord Anders pushed the matter aside for now, as he'd stated there were more pressing troubles to be dealt with. "You may yet prove yourself to me Lord Uller, i have a task for you."

"A task?" Uller asked, surprised but glad to be given a chance at vengeance.

"Aye. Your blunder has cost us and now we much take action. Scouts report a gap in the Tyrell line and you shall expose this, leading the fools into a trap of our own." Anders gave the command, and Uller followed it to the letter.

Lord Uller was eager to redeem himself and completed his task as instructed. The Tyrells had placed forts covering the countryside to make any obvious assault a potential suicide. The key to victory was made clear as Lord Uller lead a force of cavalry to lure the fools out from the safety of the forts. As planned the Tyrell host gave chase, but far quicker and with greater strength than Uller had anticipated. Suddenly the Lord of Hellholt found himself surrounded by enemy banners, and steel.

"That fool." Anders thought to himself from the treeline, watching Lord Uller and his handful of men being cut down by an eager young lad wearing the sigil of House Rowan. Uller was dead, but he'd served his purpose.

"Charge!" the order was given and the heavy cavalry appeared from the treeline, flanked by a sea of arrows that made quick work of the knights responsible for Ullers death, cutting them down like freshly picked flowers. The battle was over before the reachmen knew what was transpiring, as Yronwoods host surrounded the Tyrells and cut them off from any escape. The battle would later be named Anders Folly, forever remembered as a great victory that led to great loss.

Chapter 6 - Part 2: Never Trust a Uller
    Gerold Dayne had gathered a great host consisting of many knights and commoners both, all burning with desire to defend their homeland. The plan was simple enough, to gather all able spears at Hellhot and drive back the Reachmen invasion force that had already sacked Starfall and Sandstone. Things were on track and all that remained was to wait for Prince Oberyn to arrive and take command, but for now Dayne had been summoned to the hall by Ulwyck Uller.

"Ser Ulwyck." Dayne gave a swift nod to acknowledge Ulwyck, being the acting Lord of Hellhot while his brother was away fighting in the Reach.

"Ser Ulwyck." Daynes personal guard announced themselves as Cletus Yronwood, Dagos Manwoody and Olyvar Yronwood.

"My brother is dead Ser, and you will address me as Lord." Ulwyck spoke calmly, showing little sign of remorse at this news.

Gerold was shocked, and insulted. "Dead?" is all he could manage before Lord Uller continued to speak over him.

"Aye. Lord Yronwood sent him to his fate, and the gods themselves have now trapped Anders like a pig ready for the slaughter." Ulwyck began laughing, much to the dismay of young Cletus Yronwood.

"Why was i not informed? In the Princes absence i am commander of this-" Gerold cut himself off this time, taking note of the armed men appearing from the shadows.

"What of my father?" Cletus demanded to know, yet unaware of the hostiles advancing.

"What is this!" Dayne commanded as he drew his blade, quickly followed by his guard. "I have an army at your gates Uller, think before you act."

A man stood beside Uller, slowly clapping as Uller smiled at his own actions. "Ser Gerold. Lay down your arms and swear fealty to your new liege." The man spoke, his identity unknown to Dayne.

"How rude of me, i have failed to introduce my friend. This is the honorable Moryn Tyrell who has seen sit to name me as House Tyrells new Lord Paramount of Dorne." Uller awaited Daynes response, still smiling.

"You treacherous bastard!" Dayne wasted no time, ignoring the armed Reachmen that had slowly surrounded them as he dashed for Ullers seat.

Cletus, Dagos and Olyvar engaged those who tried to intercept Dayne, slaying more than a few of the bastards before succumbing. "Cletus!" Lord Manwoody yelled as he witnessed the lad unconscious upon the ground next to the lifeless body of his cousin Olyvar, who had been impaled by a spear. Manwoody was the last to fall, old as he was in years he could still fight well. He was stuck by a crossbow bolt while attempting to move to Daynes side.

"For Dorne!" Dayne screamed and swung his blade with all the fury he could muster, knowing he'd only get one chance to land a killing blow. Oblivious to the dagger that had been impaled into his side by Moryn Tyrell, he managed to drive his blade across Ullers neck before being dragged down and restrained by Lord Moryns men. He only noticed the dagger when the bastards pulled it out, the pain causing him to black out and awake moments later among his remaining men.

"Gerold?" a voice spoke.

"Ser Dayne" another voice.

"Wake up you fool!" this one Dayne knew, Dagos was always a sharp old bastard.

"I'm glad you made it, both of you." he had risen, rubbing his head and feeling like he'd drunk all the wine in Dorne.

"Oly didn't make it." Lord Manwoody took a moment to look at Cletus who was sitting silently in a corner, having his wounds seen to. "At least that traitor Uller is dead."

"That or he's a white walker." Dayne tried to laugh but found himself still sore from the daggers blade.

"You'll live." Dagos spoke, quickly moving the conversation onward to the pressing matter of what in the seven hells had just transpired.

They discussed the situation for some time. It seemed that during their little meeting with Uller and his friends, their host had been surrounded by Tyrell banners and they now found themselves trapped and unable to move. Dayne suggested fighting their way out, while Dagos counseled patience and pointed out the loss they would take should they do anything so rash. Every plan seemed doomed to some scale of failure, until a hooded stranger entered the tent.

"State your intent!" Dagos grasped for his sword, but recalled that their steel had been taken from them.

"To free you from this cage." the man lowered his hood and was flanked by two other heavily armed men. "I am Prince Quentyn Martell, and my uncle sends his regards."

Chapter 7
    Chapter 7 - Part 1: Anders Folly
    This was the end of things it seemed. Lord Anders had led his host bravely against the Tyrell line, advancing too deep for his own good and sealing his own fate. His flanks had been crushed, his generals slain or captured and his army routed with only a handful of loyal swords remaining by his side as the Reachmen banners slowly closed in around them, advancing over the countless lifeless corpses of the fallen. This was not a battle they faced now, but a slaughter.

"Is this how it ends?" Lord Yronwood whispered to himself, exhausted and broken as those few who remained at his side fell one by one. "No hope." Anders took his final breath and in that moment vowed to die as he lived, on his feet and defiant against these Reachmen bastards. Alone now, he raised his sword and charged headfirst into the enemy ranks mustering every inch of strength that was not already spent. It was not enough.

"This ones still alive." A voice spoke from the darkness

"By the seven, how's he still breathing after that?" Another voice and the all too similar feel of steel piercing the flesh.

A large group of Reachman had gathered to watch as the man who seemed to act as their leader began twisting his blade into the wounded dornishmans chest.

"Enough!" Anders heard another voice merely a whisper upon the wind, as he began to slip away from it all.

"Do you know who i am?" A boy spoke but Anders could not reply, laying on the edge of death and not long for the world he had fought so hard for. "I am Dickon Tarly." The lad stood over Anders and watched him struggle with his last moments, choking on his own blood. "You killed my father." The youth had wished to see this man dead for some time, but in the moment felt only sadness and wondered if his own father died in the same ugly manner.

"I do this kindness not for your sake or my own." Dickon paused for a moment and drew his dagger into Anders heart. "No son should feel the pain of losing his father, at least yours will know you died swiftly."

Lord Anders fell silent and young Dickons vengeance had been met. Lord Anders Yronwood was dead and with him the Dornish Advance into the Reach had been halted, for now.

Chapter 7 - Part 2: The Golden Spear
    Enough gold to hire every mercenary company in Essos for a short time, all given to a handful of Reachmen captains in order to trigger the plan that Prince Quentyn has named 'The Golden Spear' in an attempt to make light of the kingly sum being used to bribe these men. Dorne was broke however, months of conflict and levy fees having all but drained the treasury. As such this gold came directly from House Florent, the royal dowry of Princess Shireen Baratheon.

"The first stage is complete." Prince Quentyn began addressing those in attendance as the Reachmen abandoned their posts, taking the chests of gold with them. "Ser Gerold, take your men and assault Sandstone." Quentyn pointed at a rather poorly drawn map, kindly given and marked by the Reachmen prior to them fleeing with their bribe. "Assuming these troop movements are correct, you should easily dispatch any hostiles on route to Sandstone. No prisoners"

Gerold gave a nod in acknowledgement, "Consider it done."

"Lord Mandwoody, you are to accompany him in this."
    Quentyn paused a moment to study the map, "Oberyn will deal with the fools at Skyreach."

"What of you my Prince?"
    Dagos Mandwoody spoke.

"I'll remain here with the bulk of the host. Hellhot is still in enemy hands, that must change before we can push onward." Taking a final look at the map to reassure himself, Quentyn gave the word and the lords and knights took off to forfill their given tasks. "Gods be with us, if even one of them fail this could go very badly." Quentyn thought to himself for a moment as the last remaining lord had exited the tent. "I pray this works, for all our sakes."

Night had fallen by the time Ser Gerolds forces reached Sandstone, having used the cover of night to proceed to the walls without notice. "Move swiftly and silent as the grave lads, gut them as they sleep." Gerold gave the command and began to advance on the Tyrell encampment outside the castle walls, silence fell, quickly followed by the shouts of confusion as the Reachmen began to wake, only to be cut down mere moments later.

"Light the fires!" Dayne gave the signal, setting the Tyrell camp ablaze. Those unlucky enough to get trapped inside their tents were slowly cooked alive, turning the silence into a chorus of screams and horror. The day was won, the Reachmen slaughtered and Sandstone fell within a fortnight. Gunthor Hightower, commander of the Sandstone garrison, surrendered the castle with little fight and found himself without a head mere moments later. Dayne set up the castles defenses and prepared for the arrival of the Princes. The plan had been a success as word arrived from Prince Oberyn as to the fate of the siege at Skyreach.

"Kill the bastards! Kill them all!" Ryone Gargalen screamed, waving his sword in the air, leading a cavalry charge head first into an unprepared Tyrell line. "BASTARDS!" he screamed again, no genius but the lad certainly had a way with words. Skyreach was under siege, just as Prince Oberyn had predicted and as such he'd send young Gargalen with haft of his host to lift said siege and rout the Reachmen towards Oberyns own forces. That was the plan at least.

"KILL!" Gargalen could be heard amid the clashing of steel. "Old Man! Your MINE!"

"Wha-" is all Lord Leyton managed to say as he turned to face this enemy, who was now running towards him with a truly terrifying smile on his face.

The battle was messy for the most part, but under the command of Gargalen what could one expect? "Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!" another scream, but not from Gargalen. The siege was lifted and the Reachmen fled as predicted, right into the spears of Prince Oberyn Martell and the other haft of his host. Lord Leyton led them, blood flowing from the side of his head where his ear once was, he was begin held up by two of his captains as they helplessly traversed the sands.

Atop a small hill overlooking the sands below, and Leytons men, the Red Viper of Dorne mounted his destrier and lead the final blow against Leytons battered force.

Oberyn paused a moment to look down at the lifeless husk of old Lord Leyton, broken from battle and age both. "We move. There remains much to do." With that Prince Oberyn's host set off towards Sandstone.

Chapter 7 - Part 3: Another Wedding
    Prince Oberyn and Quentyn had arrived, announcing publicly that the wedding of Quentyn and Shireen would be taking place here and now prior to moving on Starfall. The timing was partly out of a desire to ensure a heir would be conceived quickly and partly to mark the liberation of Dorne. The wedding took place outside the walls of Sandstone early in the morning, as the sun began reflecting off the sands. I'd say it was beautiful, if i wasn't so darn manly.

The ceremony began, the guests all dressed in attire more fitting a battlefield than a wedding. "Let it be known that Shireen of House Baratheon and Quentyn of the House Martell, are one heart, one flesh, and one soul."

"Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."
    The Septon continued as Shireen and Quentyn stood before the gods and men.

It was over quickly, with a war to be won there was little time for delay. Shireen was carried off for the bedding and the young Prince Quentyn preformed his duty, attempting to be as kind and gently to his new bribe as possible. Despite her greyscale causing some concerns among the nobles and the prince, he found himself quite fond of his new wife, noble and innocent as she was although not quite as innocent now. The future looked bright in that moment.

"Your leaving?" Shireen spoke from beneath the covers, clearly still unconformable with her current arrangement, but not entirely unhappy.

Quentyn looked over to his wife and smiled. "Yes." he paused, looking out the window at his troops awaiting his word to march. "Starfall must be liberated, and then the Reach will burn."

Chapter 8
    Chapter 8: The End
    Here at the end of things his wedding felt like it happened a lifetime ago to another person entirely, the warmth of Dorne and his new wife entirely forgotten. Quentyn Martell sat atop a black destrier that he'd borrowed from some dead knight after his own beloved Dornish sand steed fell in battle barely a day passed. He remembered the horse fondly, its long neck, narrow head and swiftness. It could run for a day and night and another day, and never tire. He smirked when he realized he missed that horse more than he missed his own wife. Gods, he was a terrible husband.

"Nephew." A voice snapped Quentyn away from his thoughts.

"Yes, uncle?"

Oberyn Martell, known as the Red Viper, rode beside him atop his own dornish steed. It was black as sin with a mane and tail the color of fire. "Thinking on the battle lad?" He asked with a grin as the pair continued moving slowly forward. Highgarden was burning in the distance, the fires slowly growing smaller the further south they rode. Quentyn knew better than to think running away would change the reality of what they'd done. None were spared Dornes wrath, from the men to the babes at the breast. All dead. Was he any better than Tywin Lannister now? Yes... but it was far too close for his taste.

"No." He lied.

"Your wife then?"

He seized the chance to avoid speaking of Highgarden, or at least what was left of it. "Yes, we left so quickly that I-"

"The wars won," The vipers smiled was enough to instill fear in any man. His laugh, now that was something else. "no need to fear not returning my boy. Oldtown will surrender or bend and you'll be back in Sunspear making lots of little Martells." The viper was right, the war was done, the Reach broken into shards and shared upon the victors. Quentyn was the true Prince of Dorne now. Word had come before the siege on Highgarden, his father was dead and Dorne was well and truly his to command. His first act had been one of slaughter. His second an announcement that Dorne would forever be known as the independent Princedom of the South with lands stretching from the Arbor to Mistwood in the southern Stormlands. Never before had the banner of Nymeros-Martell hung over so many halls.

Quentyn sighed. "I feel nothing, uncle."

The viper seemed taken aback by the sudden opening up of his nephew, they'd barely spoken during the campaign. He said nothing.

"We've taken the Reach and our family is stronger than ever before. Should I not feel... something?"

"War is a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know." Oberyn's face turned blank, somehow looking more dangerous than his usually light expression. "For some, one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first."

"I'm broken then?" Quentyn asked, in the background Highgarden had all but vanished over the rolling green hills of the Reach.

Oberyn shook his head and his smile returned. "Your a man now." He said, looking proudly at his young nephew. "We're all broken in some way, is part of this life."

Quentyn thought on that in silence, and after a few moments he'd accepted a few things. "I just want to go home."

"And we will." The viper agreed. "Once these remaining bastards are bent or broken."

Meanwhile at the Ruins of Highgarden the young Edric Storm, now Edric Baratheon and King on the Iron Throne, camped outside the smoking ruins of the Tyrell capital in the center of his vast host. Martell and Baratheon were kin now though Edric's cousin and more importantly they had shed Reachmen blood together. That was a bound that would not brake easily. Riders flying the Stark banner proceeded into the camp in the early hours of the morning, the Martell forces having left some time ago to clean up what Reachmen resistance was left in the south. Edric has stayed behind encase relations with the Starks turned sour and war became the answer.

"Gentlemen," Edric greeted the messengers from the north as they entered his tent. "please sit. Have a drink."

The took it gladly, these Northmen had ridden from Goldengrove where Starks host was camped. It was an odd turn of events since Stark outriders had sacked Highgarden even more Edric and Quentyn had arrived; it had fallen back into Tyrell hands shortly afterwards due to the Northmen being unable to hold the walls. They abandoned it to the incoming Baratheon and Martell host. A good thing too, because the Martells would not allow Stark control of the city even if they had held onto it. "King Robb sends his regards." One of the envoys spoke, draining his cup of wine and slamming it down on the table.

The second envoy belched and did not bother with an apology.

"Lovely manners." Edric thought with a smile. He could see why his departed father had such love for these northmen. "Has your king thought on my offer?"

"Aye," the tallest of the two spoke as his friend refilled his cup. "his grace was glad to hear of your willingness to treat."

"The Lannisters are dead and the West is in King Robb's hands." Edric raised a cup of his own and drank deep, trying t show his gladness at the fall of House Lannister. It was no lie, the only good Lannister was a dead one. "I see no cause to fight those that have avenged my fathers murder, and that of the late Eddard Starks. I hope King Robb sees the wisdom in peace..."

"He dose." The envoy said with a smirk. The room seemed to calm a fair amount, the guards and gathered lords now far less tense.

"His Grace accepts your terms happily." The second envoy spoke, having finished his second drink.

Edric couldn't help but offer a genuine smile this time. "I'm glad to hear it."

The terms were simple enough, hostilities between the Kingdom of the North, Kingdom of the Iron Throne and the Princedom of the South would cease. Non aggression pacts would be formed between all three parties and secertly the Iron Throne and Dorne would agree to come to each others aid should the North ever get too ambitious and brake what they had named as the 'Treaty of Three'. Edric Baratheon would not be King of Westeros, but he'd never desired that title and his people had suffered more than enough already. War with the North would have been bloody, even with Dorne's support, and Edric would not drag his lords into a war of greed.

The war for the Reach and subsequently the war of the Five Kings ended when the walls of Oldtown were seized, what followed was a new golden age of peace as the realms of men rebuilt all that was lost. Oberyn Martell esd hailed as the 'the Conqueror'. Trystane Martell named Lord of Oldtown while his elder brother Quentyn was granted Highspear, once known as Highgarden, to forever act as the seat of House Martells heirs. Princess Arianne's wedding to Lord Yronwood took place as a reward for the houses part and loyalty in the war. The Princedom of Dorne and the Reach continued peacefully away from the shadow of the Iron Throne. Lord Cletus Yronwood's relative Olyvar was granted high-lordship over the holdings along the Reach-Dorne border and renamed Cider Hall as Bloodroyal Hall; where a grand stature of Lord Anders Yronwood was built to honor his victories against the Reachmen before his unfortunate death. House Yronwood's future was brighter than ever, but Lord Cletus couldn't help but feel that nothing will ever soften the loss of his beloved father. Lands and title would not bring his father back.

Default Re: Kings and Kingdoms

Chapter 1 - Part 1: The Prince
    The raven came during the night and Oberyn began reading the letter aloud...

"House Tyrell hereby declares for King Joffrey"
    Oberyn paused to smile before continuing, "A marriage between his grace and my daughter Margaery has aligned House Hill of King's Landing with my own. We will now aid the Lannisters against any and all who shall rise against them. House Florent of Brightwater Keep, have raised their flags in the name of Stannis Baratheon. As cowardly men of the Reach, we have granted Lord Colin Florent free passage to join his King. All lands and titles given to him within the Reach have been relinquished. Signed, Mace Tyrell". Oberyn somewhat elaborated Lord Maces words while reading the letter, but the point was made clear as day.

This turn of events had been predicted well enough during the war council. Prince Doran knew all too well that Lord Mace stood to gain little from joining Stannis now that his daughter was not married to a King, but he failed to foresee young Margaery being wed to another so quickly after her previous husbands death. Oberyn was far from concernd, and in fact many of the men present were overjoyed at the idea of once again teaching the highborn reachmen fools a thing or two about dornish might.

"Any other news?" Ser Gerold Dayne spoke up

"Indeed." Oberyn replied, "King Stannis has taken the castles of Stonedance and Rook's Rest, along with the town of Duskendale."

"If we don't move faster there wont be anyone left for us to fight" Gerold smiled and a few lords laughed at his remark.

"Rest assured there will be plenty of Reachmen left for us to crush" Lord Anders Yronwood interjected

The dornish host was camped in the Prince's Pass, still awaiting the few remaining banners to arrive before moving towards their first real taste of combat since they were called. Meanwhile news of King Robbs successes were spreading far and wide like wildfire, as the Young Wolf had crushed House Frey and taken the Twins for himself before Lord Frey could attempt any betrayal. House Greyjoy had claimed Kingship for themselves, moving North to strike at the undefended lands of King Robb.

The last remaining letter was sealed by the sigil of House Martell. "Lord Yronwood, you have the command." Oberyn spoke swiftly, passing the letter to Lord Anders and storming out of the command tent.

Chapter 1 - Part 2: The Princess
    King's Landing was alive with merriment upon hearing the news of the upcoming wedding...

"Your grace" Arianne greeted King Joffrey, having been at the capital for nearly a month now she'd gotten used to dealing with this boy-king.

"Princess Arianne" Joffrey acknowledged her but spoke little when confronted by the Princess of Dorne, be it due to her beauty or the impressive personal guard given to her by Prince Doran, who had given them strict orders to kill anyone that dared harm their princess be it a commoner or a king; this both scaring and infuriating Joffrey to no end but he had been told by his mother and other advisers to avoid angering the Martells.

"Congratulations on your new bribe your grace, she is quite beautiful." Arianne smiled and awaited a reply

"Thank you, i-" Joffrey was interrupted as Aurane Waters approached and whispered something in the kings ear that made him smile, "Another time princess, i have a war to win."

Arianne awoke the next day in the bedchambers of Aurane Waters having used her charm the previous night to learn what secrets the bastard held. Unfortunately she learned little, since it appeared Sandor Clegane was in charge of the Crownlands defense and Waters was nothing but a scout, she did however learn that whispers around camp spoke of a trap being set for the usurper Stannis Baratheon. She rose from the bed and Arianne noted that Waters had clearly been gone for some time as she moved over towards a desk and started writing a detailed letter to inform her father of all she had learned about the enemies plans.

"Princess Ar-" the captain of Ariannes guard barged into the room as she was in the middle of writing her letter, she only laughed at the man as she sat up and began to get dressed. "Well?" she said, still haft undressed "Is this news so urgent that you must enter uninvited?" she paused for a moment, the captain had averted his eyes by this point but still have a scene of great urgency about him. "Why are the bells ringing captain?."

"It's King Stannis..." The captain spoke and awaited Ariannes orders, but he got only silence.

Default Re: [Westeros] Kings and Kingdoms

Chapter 2 - Part 1: The Invasion
    "Uncle, i have grim tidings. Stannis Baratheon was allowed to seize the town of Duskendale, being lured into a trap at Antlers the forces of Sandor Clegane have managed to capture him. His execution is to be held immediately and he will be lost by the time this raven reaches you. His cause is lost with him and what remains of his troops are now being lead by House Florent, while the Lannisters are forcing me to remain in the capital despite my expressed wishes to return home to Sunspear."

These are the words Oberyn read prior to leaving his troops under the command of Lord Yronwood, he left in great haste to do what he knew had to be done. The council had discussed this possibility in great detail...

"Daemon" Oberyn called his squire, "Is everything in place?, this must be perfectly executed."

"The captains have reported in and everything seems to be in order, they await your word."
    Daemon spoke and awaited quite eagerly

Oberyn gave a nod and the ravens flew from the command ship, off to give word to the other sections of the fleet that the invasion was to begin. The plan was to strike, hard and fast, before anyone on the mainland could move to prevent their advance. Lord Yronwood had already lead haft of his host from the Princes Pass to siege Blackhaven castle, and while Oberyn had barely haft the men of Yronwoods host his role was vital if the plan was to succeed.

"So it begins" Oberyn spoke with a heavy heart. This was not the original purpose of the fleet, it was meant to join with Stannis at Dragonstone for a joint assault on King's Landing.

Ser Arron Qorgyle was given command of the left flank, tasked with taking Stonehelm. Oberyn gave his squire Daemon Sand a place of honor as commander of the right flank, despite his bastard stats he was tasked with the siege of Rain House while Oberyn himself lead the center towards the castle of Mistwood. The plan would cripple the Stormlands and ease Dornes relationship with the Iron Throne, now that King Stannis was dead Prince Doran simply desired the safety of his daughter, and his people.

"Sunspear!", "Dorne", "Prince Oberyn" were the screams that filled the air as the siege of Mistwood began, and just as planned the castle held merely a skeleton garrison that quickly surrendered once the gates were breached.

"Pathetic." Ser Ryone Gargalen laughed as he drew his sword from the chest of a fallen stormlander, wiping the blood off while grinning as the few survivors of a garrison were allowed to leave the castle unharmed.

Oberyn had a dislike of the young lad but he was skilled with a blade and showed great promise at command, even if he did act strange at times. All Oberyn could hope for now is that the others were successful in their own sieges.

Chapter 2 - Part 2: Battle at Blackhaven
    The main host arrived close to Blackhaven under the command of Lord Anders Yronwood, who immediately hatched a plan to greatly weaken the castles garrison. Lord Harmen Uller was given this task...

"Run them down lads!" Harmen shorted the order and lead the cavalry charge himself against the small party of stormlander scouts, forcing them to flee the field towards the safety of Blackhaven in the hope that the castle garrison would offer them assistance. "That's it, flee to your castle." Harmen whispered to himself as the plan worked exactly as Lord Yronwood said it would. The Blackhaven garrison was lead by Ser Richard Horpe, who was widely known to be hotblooded and Yronwoods plan rested on this enemies weakness. Horpe opened the castle gates and in his blind desire for battle failed to foresee the second dornish host closing in on his flanks, by the time he noticed it was too late.

Lord Yronwoods plan worked quite perfectly, although it was somewhat risky since it rested entirely on Horpe sallying out from the walls. The dornish host easily crushed the enemy and killed Ser Richard Horpe in the process, upon seeing their commanders fate what remained of the garrison laid down their arms and handed over the castle in exchange for their lives. The day was won as news arrived from Prince Oberyn that the sieges of Mistwood, Stonehelm and Rain House had all been a success, suffering very limited casualties.

"This is going better than expected." Ser Gerold Dayne spoke as he took a seat in the great hall of Blackhaven next to Lord Uller, "Any word from Prince Oberyn as to when we'll be moving on?."

"None as of yet." Lord Anders paused for a moment, "Oberyn is leading whats left of his invasion force towards Storm's End where he plans to join with the Tyrells in a siege. We are to remain here and await his word as to our next move."

This did not sit well with Gerold, who gave Lord Yronwood a quick stare before standing up and taking his leave. "A skilled swordsmen certainly, but that man has little understanding of patience" Anders thought to himself.

"Any other news?." Lord Harmen spoke

"Nothing important." Anders replied, "Lord Florent has sent a plea that we stand down and join him, making some outlandish claims of a plan to take the capital."

"He plans to assault King's Landing?" this shocked Harmen greatly, "Is he mad?, his troops are scattered and their King is dead."

"So he claims. If he fails it's less bloodshed for us however." Anders sounded quite cold in that moment, but Uller agreed well enough with the statement.

There was a short moment of silence until Uller spoke, "What if he succeeds?." Anders merely looked at his fellow lord and for once in this campaign the great Lord of Yronwood was clueless.

Chapter 3 - Part 1: The Wedding
    The capital was more alive than Arianne had ever witnessed. The victory against Stannis had raised spirits high and in a bid to secure his new alliances, the royal weddings date had been pushed forward. Princess Arianne had been kept as a prisoner in all but name, this giving her father no choice but to side with the Iron Throne against those still loyal to Stannis. The wedding was exceedingly beautiful and succeeded in distracting the commoners from the fact that King Robb was still gaining victories against the Westerlands.

"Let it be known that Margaery of House Tyrell and Joffrey of the Houses Lannister and Baratheon, are one heart, one flesh, and one soul." the High Seton spoke as he began the ceremony.

"Your certain about this?." Arianne was ignoring the ceremony, having a troubling conversation with Lord Varys.

"I am. It's been decided i'm afraid." Varys replied, clearly quite confident.

"Prince Doran would never allow it," The captain of Ariannes guard had overheard the discussion, not surprising since the entire guard was stuck to the princess like glue since they were refused passage from the city. "I wont allow it!."

"Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." The High Septon continued.

Arianne smiled at the captain, both as a gesture of thanks and to silence him. "They'd wed me off against my will to the boy then, not-"

Vary interrupted, "Don't do anything rash. Tommen is young and they will certainly wait until he is older before forcing the issue, i felt you'd wish to know beforehand however."

"They expect me to wed that boy?."
    Arianne thought to herself as Vary walked away. Suddenly she was surrounded by her guards, who'd spotted a suspicious man advancing towards her.

"State your intent assassin!." the captain spoke softly as to avoid gaining the attention of the entire court, disarming the man and passing his longsword to a fellow guardsmen. "Speak, or die where you stand."

"My name-" the man took a moment to catch his breath. "My name is Colin Florent."

"We're under attack!."
    the doors flung open as Janos Slynt stormed in and awaited orders from King Joffrey, but got only silence as the king stood in shock.

Jaime Lannister interjected, "Is it the Stark boy?"

"No. It's-" Janos paused for a moment and found it hard to believe his own words.

Chapter 3 - Part 2: The Ghost
    It was surprise that would win them this day. The army moved out of it's cover in the treeline, into the open to move against the crownlander host camped outside King's Landings walls. They had taken them unawares, and flew the banners of a man who everyone thought long dead; this alone striking fear into the hearts of the crownlanders as they panicked and ran to equip themselves for the coming battle, with the banners of a ghost coming closer.

"Stannis!" they screamed as the heavy cavalry crashed against unprepared troops, unlucky enough to be on the edge of the camp. Leading the charge appeared to be Stannis Baratheon, in his full plate armor and helm, wielding Lightbringer as he bravely drew first blood in the charge. Behind the cavalry more troops carrying the banners of King Stannis descended upon the camp, surrounding the poor souls and cutting them down without so much as a whisper of mercy.

"For the King!." Ser Gilbert Farring yelled as he lead the secondary wave against the King's Landing garrison that had sallied out in a vain attempt to assist the camp. They clashed, with Ser Farring not giving them a chance to join up with the main camp, his troops outnumbered those of the garrison and easily routed them back into the city while taking only minor losses. Janos Slynt cowardly abandoned his men and fled behind the city walls to close the gates.

"Victory is ours lads, run them all down. No survivors!" The Ghost of Stannis spoke as he commanded his troops to kill all those loyal to the false king Joffrey. Sandor Clegane fled the field but killed many during his flight.

The battle was over and King's Landing was now garrisoned by only a small force of scared and wounded men. Wiping the blood off Lightbringer the Ghost of Stannis dismounted his horse and rallied his commanders to him.

"Have we heard from my brother?" The Ghost spoke and began to remove his helm.

Ser Gilbert was the first to answer. "Yes my lord. Colin is inside the city with his men and should execute the plan any moment now."

Chapter 3 - Part 3: The Slaughter
    Ser Colin had planned this moment out for quite some time, and now after much waiting the time had come. All he had to do now was explain things to Princess Arianne before her guards decided to slit his throat.

"It's Stannis." Janos Slynt muttered

"Stannis?. We executed him you blind fool!." Jaime yelled as he struck Slynt in the chest, causing him to fall to his knees.

"There is no time to explain, you must leave this room immediately." Ser Colin gestured towards the rafters, revealing a dozen men loading crossbows.

Arianne noticed them, along with a handful of men in the crowds gasping their swords. "I see." she paused, "Captain you are to remain here and aid Ser Conlin, i will take two of your men with me but the others shall remain with you."

"My princess, i think-" the captain argued in vain. Arianne sighed, kissed him and along with two of her guard, left with great speed.

Jaime Lannister meanwhile was issuing orders to the men in the room. "Secure the doors and for the love of the gods get the-"

"Aaaah!" Margaery screamed, "The Kin-"

A moment of silence fell over the room as King Joffrey and his bribe slumped to the floor with crossbow bolts piercing their hearts.

"For Stannis!" Ser Colin screamed as he drew his blade and slit the throat of Tommen. Others quickly followed as they began to slay nobles and commoners alike.

Jaime rushed to the Kings side, but he was dead the moment the bolt stuck his heart. He stood up from the body of his bastard son and drew his sword knowing this would be his last fight.

Ser Colin turned to issue another order to his men, "Crossbows, fire at-" he paused, chocking on his own blood as he looked down to see a sword had been driven into his back.

"A Lannister always pays his debts." Jaime whispered into Colins ear as he removed his sword. Seconds later the crossbowmen let loose, and Jaime Lannister drew his last breath.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

was it therapeutic?

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

if you are still in denial, it obviously didnt work

It's not my fault the Lannisters got themselves killed in the HS.
    I'm just adding some class to their deaths. Think i'll burn Cersei alive, or share her with the men-at-arms as a reward before they burn her.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Looks good!

Chapter 4 - Part 1: Storm's End
    King Joffrey was dead along with all his siblings during the events known as the Red Wedding, a name given by the small folk who were lucky enough to be uninvited to the massacre. Lord Alex Florent had taken King's Landing in the name of his fallen king and for now at least, the Iron Throne was empty while those loyal to House Baratheon argued over who would be crowned the new king. House Martell meanwhile were contemplating the future of Dorne.

"Edric Storm. Have you come to surrender?, bend the knee to the king and you'll be shown mercy." Garlan Tyrell spoke to the young bastard, who had ridden out from Storm's End with a handful of knights at his back.

Edric replied with a smile, "I offer you the same mercy Ser Garlan, but will not offer it a second time."

"You are surrounded and outnumbered." Garlan laughed at the boy, pausing a monument to shoot a confident grin at the Prince who stood next to him.

"Prince Oberyn." Edric addressed the Red Viper, showing far more respect to the prince than he'd shown to Ser Garlan.

Oberyn gave a nod in response. "I regret that it has come to this, but sometimes ones personal honor must be sacrificed for the good of those he has sworn to protect."

"Well said." Edric replied but was clearly holding back.

"Enough talk gentlemen. If you will not stand down peacefully, then you give us no other choice." Garlan spoke up and ended the talks, clearly taking a dislike to Oberyns content towards the bastard.

"You always have a choice." Edric issued these words like he was Robert Baratheon reborn, staring at his foe he spoke quickly before turning his horse around. "If you will not lay down your arms then come now little knight, come and i beg of you to recall the name of this castle you seek to besiege." Edric had reached the gates and entered the castle safely only to be surrounded by his men who anxiously awaited word of Ser Garlans reply.

Edric gave them the news and spoke only three words. "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken."

Chapter 4 - Part 2: The Iron Throne
    The fox of House Florent flew proudly above the walls of King's Landing, while the Red Keep once again stood tall wielding the crowned stag of House Baratheon. Since the Red Wedding the entire Crownlands nobles had flocked to the capital to swear fealty to whoever happened to be sitting the throne, with some of the lesser lords thinking Stannis had actually returned from the grave and had expected to see him upon the Iron Throne. It was empty however, causing much debate. Meanwhile far from the throne room the black cells were filled with captives of importance, being kept for ransom or execution. Cersei Lannister was among them, praying for death.

"Shireen is not right, she is of the female line and a rumored bastard." One noble in the crowd made his voice heard

Another quickly countered him, "I'll have your tongue for those words!".

"Edric is the only living son of King Robert!." Another interjected just as quickly as the last.

The discussion had gone on for what felt like hours as Lord Axell Florent presided over them from his seat directly beside the empty Iron Throne. The two prime candidates were Shireen Baratheon as the only child of Stannis, and the other was Edric Storm who had claim as King Roberts only known male son. The opinion of the lords was quite even and as such the talks continued on, until Princess Arianne made her voice known.

"Princess Arianne of Dorne will speak!." Ariannes captain got the attention of the court, having to raise his voice greatly to overcome that of the nobles bickering.

"My lords, i reserved word from my father and i bring news. Storm's End is under siege by a Garlan Tyrell and my uncle Oberyn, while Edric Storm is leading the castle garrison and-" Arianne was interrupted before she could finish.

"Dornish whore, your father betrays us and will now slay Edric!." The lord screamed and foolishly drew his blade.

"You'll die for those words alone!." the captain spoke as he and his men prepared to defend the princess.

Lord Axell stood up from his seat before any blood could be shed. "Enough!, get this fool out of the capital before he gets himself killed and starts another war. I apologize princess, please continue."

"My lord." Arianne smiled as thanks for Lord Axells quick actions, ending a situation that would have ended in nothing but pointless bloodshed. "As i was saying, my uncle stands beside Ser Garlan. Prince Doran offers you an alliance sealed in blood between Dorne and the Iron Throne, and together suggests we deal with the Tyrells once and for all. Dose this offer interest you my lord?." Arianne awaited an answer knowing that Lord Florent could not refuse.

"It dose." he replied as the court was for once, in complete silence.

"These are our terms. I, Arianne of House Nymeros Martell shall wed King Edric Baratheon and Princess Shireen Baratheon is to wed Prince Quentyn Martell upon such a time that she comes of age. In return these marriages shall bind the Princedom of Dorne to the Kingdom of the Iron Throne from now until the end of time, but Dorne will forever remain a free and independent realm away from the rule of the Iron Throne." Arianne paused for Lord Florents reaction.

"And if we refuse?" Lord Axell replied, more curious than anything.

"If you refuse?. Arianne replied, "We shall offer very much the same to the Tyrells, sealing all your fates. Storm's End would fall and with it Edric Storm, ending the male line of Baratheon."

Axell stood from his seat. "You expect to build an alliance on threats?." he spoke coldly.

"No threats here my lords, merely promises." Arianne smiled "Dorne shall be independent regardless of your choice, but we would much rather fight at your side as friends than choice the far easier road of siding with Highgarden."

The room remained silent. All knew that if Dorne sided with the Tyrells they would succeed, since taking the capital had drained the Florents military strength greatly and they would never be able to withstand the might of the Reach, yet alone fight against Dorne at the same time. Princess Arianne was correct that it would be far easier for Prince Doran to side with the Tyrells, yet he had offered friendship to them first even if it was demanding.

"Fight with us and gain your victory. What say you?." she paused and began to address the entire courtroom. "I am Princess Arianne Martell. What say you?." Lord Axell sat down and smiled at the Princess of Dorne.

"What say you!." Arianne all but commanded the lords present, who now looked to Lord Florent for the answer.

Chapter 5 - Part 1: A Thousand Daggers
    The siege of Storm's End had begun. Garlan Tyrell led the Reachmen with his host consisting of heavy infantry and a handful of knights who had dismounted for the siege. Oberyn Martell led his own men at the flank of Garlans troops, with the archers positioned atop a small hill while Prince Oberyn stood idle with the cavalry section, officially waiting for Garlans troops to open the gates before leading the charge against whatever small garrison was inside the walls.

"So it begins." Prince Oberyn whispered to himself and gave the signal to Daemon.

"Alright lads, lets do this." Daemon smiled at the man next to him and shouted "Notch!" as he notched his own bow.

Ryone Gargalen stood beside Daemon as the word was given and the archers readied themselves.

"Draw!." Daemon commanded again and held his bow steady, pointed at the enemy on the field below.

"Loose!." Oberyn gave the final command, announcing the dornish plan to those unlucky enough to be in the sights of the archers.

The first wave of arrows were set loose as Garlan Tyrells forces looked to the sky in horror. In this moment Edric Storm's own arrows let loose to join the bloodbath, falling down on the reachmen like a thousand daggers sent by the gods themselves. There was no hope for Garlans men as arrows continually fell upon their ranks, causing the poor souls to panic and attempt escape from the rain of death. Those that survived did not last long.

"Hold!." Daemon commanded and looked to his Prince.

Oberyn reared his horse and led the cavalry in a charge against those few that remained alive on the field, cutting them down like daisy's.

"I told you." Garlan heard a voice and attempted to regain his wits.

"He'll live." Oberyn spoke, this voice Garlan knew as it filled him his rage.

The other man knelt before him and smiled. "I told you," the man repeated "you always have a choice."

"Storm?" Garlan thought to himself, in too much pain to stand yet alone reach out and kill the bastard who mocked him now.

"I apologize for this mess Garlan." Oberyn spoke, "I've kept the news from you, least you catch wind of my plans for this day. Your-" Edric interrupted him.

"Your bastard of a king is dead, along with all his kin and your whore of a sister." Edric spoke coldly and grinned at his defeated enemy.

"I-" Garlan had words for this bastard and the traitorous viper, but news of his sisters death had stolen those words from his lips.

"It was a bloodier event than i'd have liked, and i am sorry for your sisters death. I hear it was quick at least." Oberyns words were sincere, he had no hate for the Tyrells.

"Ser Garlan Tyrell." Edric was commanding as he addressed his enemy, "I offer you and your house this chance to bend the knee, return to Highgarden and recommend peace to your father. Refuse and you will die."

Garlan tried to laugh but merely coughed up some blood. "Bend the knee?. Stannis is dead, you have no king."

"I am your king." Edric spoke calmly, enjoying the look of confusion on Garlans face.

"This is Edric Baratheon, King on the Iron Throne. You owe him your allegiance." Oberyn spoke, only haft believing those words.

Garlan had managed to stand by this point. "You are no king of mine, bastard." he sneered and spat blood in Edrics face.

"You insolent little-" Edric drew his sword and prepared to strike, but was halted by Oberyn.

"He is a knight. Let him die with a sword in hand." Oberyn suggested, not wishing to shame the lad anymore than they had already done.

"As you wish. Ser Garlan, pick up your sword and die with honor." Edric stared at Garlan

Once again Garlan spat in Edrics face. "Burn in the seven hells, you bas-"

With a swift stroke of his sword King Edric slit the throat of Ser Garlan, securing the Stormlands but starting the War of the South.

Chapter 5 - Part 2: Battle at Ashford
    Lord Anders Yronwood has gained word from Prince Doran with orders to move against the Reach. The men were eager for battle, having been camped at Blackhaven for too long now they cheered when Lord Anders shared the news that they'd be leading the vanguard against House Tyrell and the nearby host of Lord Tarly. If they won here, the doors to the Reach would swing open for them and their enemy would have lost their best general.

It was night by the time they arrived, and by the grace of the gods they came upon Tarlys host without their approach being detected. "Uller, take the cavalry to that treeline and remain hidden until i give the signal." Anders spoke.

"It'll be done. They wont stand a-". Lord Harmen replied but was cut off before he could finish.

"Don't be a fool Harmen. Lord Tarly is not to be underestimated." Anders snapped at Uller and thought to himself, "Half of the Ullers are half-mad, and the other half are worse."

Lord Uller took his host of cavalry north towards a nearby treeline, just out of view from Tarlys camp.

"Dayne, you have the left flank." Anders ordered and gave a nod to Ser Gerold.

The horns sounded and awoke the reachmen from their sleep, quickly rushing to their posts. They would be prepared by the time the two hosts clashed, but would be shaken still.

"Dorne!", "Prince Doran!", "Sunspear!", filled the air as Anders led the main force down the center to clash will the bulk of Lord Tarlys force. The two hosts clashed just outside the walls of the camp.

Lord Anders pulled his sword out from the chest of a lad who had attempted to match him in single combat, his tunic a dark azure under the red crimson of blood.

"Hobber!." a knight bellowed and charged at Lord Yronwood with a fury in his eyes.

Anders dodged the boys charge, grabbing him around the neck and driving a sword into his back. "Redwyne". Anders thought to himself as he noticed the two lads shared the same sigil.

"Now!". Anders commanded, giving word to send the signal. Moments later as Anders continued the fight, his cavalry appeared from the treeline with Lord Uller at it's head.

"Our flank you fools!" a man screamed as he noticed the cavalry charge moving in behind them.

The force led by Anders had been surrounded on three fronts by this point, but that was the plan. Uller was not alone as Dayne joined with his own charge from the left and began to turn the tide of the battle.

"Retreat!. We must-" a man with the colors of House Blackbar spoke moments before being cut down by a passing dornish knight.

Lord Tarly had underestimated the size of the enemy host, who now outnumbered his own two to one. He had no choice but to order a full retreat, and they quickly fled for the walls of their camp.

The battle was a victory and those who did not die upon the field were now trapped inside their encampment. Lord Yronwood ordered the camp surrounded and scouts posted around to inform them of any reinforcements that may attempt to lift their siege on the camp. Yronwood sat in the command tend, eating with the other lords present while their men and other wounded were treated. They were in no rush and would let Lord Tarly rot a little for now.

"My lords." a messenger entered the tent.

Lord Anders stood to greet him, shaking his hand before taking the letter. He looked at Ser Gerold once he'd finished reading.

"Starfall has fallen to the Tyrells." Anders spoke and Ser Gerold quickly stopped drinking.

"The castle was abandoned upon the sighting of the Tyrell fleet." Anders added, hoping it would calm Gerold.

"I must return to Dorne, don't try and stop me. I-" Gerold was grasping his hilt, quite serious in his desire to return home.

Anders interrupted him. "No need for that Gerold, i will be giving you command of the second host. You are to lead them to the Princes Pass and join with Prince Oberyn, who is sailing for Yronwood as we speak."

With that haft of the dornish troops went south under the command of Gerold Dayne to repel the Invasion of Dorne. The other haft remained under the command of Anders Yronwood with the task of dealing with the remains of Tarlys host before grouping up with the Florents and pushing deeper into the Reach. Prince Oberyn had won the siege of Storm's End and upon hearing the news of Starfall had turned his troops around, sailing south to Yronwood.

Chapter 6 - Part 1: The Tides of War
    Things had taken a turn for the worst of late, with news from the Florents of a great defeat at a crossing to the north and a more recent blunder at the hands of Anders own man, who stood before him now in the ruins of a Tyrell fort that had recently fallen to the main host of dornishmen. Lord Uller had ridden ahead of the host without permission in hope of taking CiderHall, and the glory, for himself. He failed however and fell pray to the Knight of Flowers.

"I place far too much trust in you." Lord Anders addressed Uller, quietly staring at him with disapproval as he attempted to defend his actions.

"I underestimated their numbers, i wont happen again." Uller continued to speak but Anders thoughts drifted away from Ullers failings.

"Enough." Anders rose from his seat and Uller fell back into line. "We have more pressing matters to deal with. Dorne is under siege, the Florents fail us on the northern front and you my lord have cost us greatly."

"I-"
    Uller once again attempted to explain himself but was quickly shot down.

"How many did we lose?" Anders sighed, growing tired of Ullers continued attempts to justify his actions.

"Around two hundred at last count, not forgetting some deserters." Uller lowered his head as Anders and the other lords in attendance looked at him with disgust, as painful as any dagger.

Lord Anders pushed the matter aside for now, as he'd stated there were more pressing troubles to be dealt with. "You may yet prove yourself to me Lord Uller, i have a task for you."

"A task?" Uller asked, surprised but glad to be given a chance at vengeance.

"Aye. Your blunder has cost us and now we much take action. Scouts report a gap in the Tyrell line and you shall expose this, leading the fools into a trap of our own." Anders gave the command, and Uller followed it to the letter.

Lord Uller was eager to redeem himself and completed his task as instructed. The Tyrells had placed forts covering the countryside to make any obvious assault a potential suicide. The key to victory was made clear as Lord Uller lead a force of cavalry to lure the fools out from the safety of the forts. As planned the Tyrell host gave chase, but far quicker and with greater strength than Uller had anticipated. Suddenly the Lord of Hellholt found himself surrounded by enemy banners, and steel.

"That fool." Anders thought to himself from the treeline, watching Lord Uller and his handful of men being cut down by an eager young lad wearing the sigil of House Rowan. Uller was dead, but he'd served his purpose.

"Charge!" the order was given and the heavy cavalry appeared from the treeline, flanked by a sea of arrows that made quick work of the knights responsible for Ullers death, cutting them down like freshly picked flowers. The battle was over before the reachmen knew what was transpiring, as Yronwoods host surrounded the Tyrells and cut them off from any escape. The battle would later be named Anders Folly, forever remembered as a great victory that led to great loss.

Chapter 6 - Part 2: Never Trust a Uller
    Gerold Dayne had gathered a great host consisting of many knights and commoners both, all burning with desire to defend their homeland. The plan was simple enough, to gather all able spears at Hellhot and drive back the Reachmen invasion force that had already sacked Starfall and Sandstone. Things were on track and all that remained was to wait for Prince Oberyn to arrive and take command, but for now Dayne had been summoned to the hall by Ulwyck Uller.

"Ser Ulwyck." Dayne gave a swift nod to acknowledge Ulwyck, being the acting Lord of Hellhot while his brother was away fighting in the Reach.

"Ser Ulwyck." Daynes personal guard announced themselves as Cletus Yronwood, Dagos Manwoody and Olyvar Yronwood.

"My brother is dead Ser, and you will address me as Lord." Ulwyck spoke calmly, showing little sign of remorse at this news.

Gerold was shocked, and insulted. "Dead?" is all he could manage before Lord Uller continued to speak over him.

"Aye. Lord Yronwood sent him to his fate, and the gods themselves have now trapped Anders like a pig ready for the slaughter." Ulwyck began laughing, much to the dismay of young Cletus Yronwood.

"Why was i not informed? In the Princes absence i am commander of this-" Gerold cut himself off this time, taking note of the armed men appearing from the shadows.

"What of my father?" Cletus demanded to know, yet unaware of the hostiles advancing.

"What is this!" Dayne commanded as he drew his blade, quickly followed by his guard. "I have an army at your gates Uller, think before you act."

A man stood beside Uller, slowly clapping as Uller smiled at his own actions. "Ser Gerold. Lay down your arms and swear fealty to your new liege." The man spoke, his identity unknown to Dayne.

"How rude of me, i have failed to introduce my friend. This is the honorable Moryn Tyrell who has seen sit to name me as House Tyrells new Lord Paramount of Dorne." Uller awaited Daynes response, still smiling.

"You treacherous bastard!" Dayne wasted no time, ignoring the armed Reachmen that had slowly surrounded them as he dashed for Ullers seat.

Cletus, Dagos and Olyvar engaged those who tried to intercept Dayne, slaying more than a few of the bastards before succumbing. "Cletus!" Lord Manwoody yelled as he witnessed the lad unconscious upon the ground next to the lifeless body of his cousin Olyvar, who had been impaled by a spear. Manwoody was the last to fall, old as he was in years he could still fight well. He was stuck by a crossbow bolt while attempting to move to Daynes side.

"For Dorne!" Dayne screamed and swung his blade with all the fury he could muster, knowing he'd only get one chance to land a killing blow. Oblivious to the dagger that had been impaled into his side by Moryn Tyrell, he managed to drive his blade across Ullers neck before being dragged down and restrained by Lord Moryns men. He only noticed the dagger when the bastards pulled it out, the pain causing him to black out and awake moments later among his remaining men.

"Gerold?" a voice spoke.

"Ser Dayne" another voice.

"Wake up you fool!" this one Dayne knew, Dagos was always a sharp old bastard.

"I'm glad you made it, both of you." he had risen, rubbing his head and feeling like he'd drunk all the wine in Dorne.

"Oly didn't make it." Lord Manwoody took a moment to look at Cletus who was sitting silently in a corner, having his wounds seen to. "At least that traitor Uller is dead."

"That or he's a white walker." Dayne tried to laugh but found himself still sore from the daggers blade.

"You'll live." Dagos spoke, quickly moving the conversation onward to the pressing matter of what in the seven hells had just transpired.

They discussed the situation for some time. It seemed that during their little meeting with Uller and his friends, their host had been surrounded by Tyrell banners and they now found themselves trapped and unable to move. Dayne suggested fighting their way out, while Dagos counseled patience and pointed out the loss they would take should they do anything so rash. Every plan seemed doomed to some scale of failure, until a hooded stranger entered the tent.

"State your intent!" Dagos grasped for his sword, but recalled that their steel had been taken from them.

"To free you from this cage." the man lowered his hood and was flanked by two other heavily armed men. "I am Prince Quentyn Martell, and my uncle sends his regards."

Chapter 7 - Part 1: Anders Folly
    This was the end of things it seemed. Lord Anders had led his host bravely against the Tyrell line, advancing too deep for his own good and sealing his own fate. His flanks had been crushed, his generals slain or captured and his army routed with only a handful of loyal swords remaining by his side as the Reachmen banners slowly closed in around them, advancing over the countless lifeless corpses of the fallen. This was not a battle they faced now, but a slaughter.

"Is this how it ends?" Lord Yronwood whispered to himself, exhausted and broken as those few who remained at his side fell one by one. "No hope." Anders took his final breath and in that moment vowed to die as he lived, on his feet and defiant against these Reachmen bastards. Alone now, he raised his sword and charged headfirst into the enemy ranks mustering every inch of strength that was not already spent. It was not enough.

"This ones still alive." A voice spoke from the darkness

"By the seven, how's he still breathing after that?" Another voice and the all too similar feel of steel piercing the flesh.

A large group of Reachman had gathered to watch as the man who seemed to act as their leader began twisting his blade into the wounded dornishmans chest.

"Enough!" Anders heard another voice merely a whisper upon the wind, as he began to slip away from it all.

"Do you know who i am?" A boy spoke but Anders could not reply, laying on the edge of death and not long for the world he had fought so hard for. "I am Dickon Tarly." The lad stood over Anders and watched him struggle with his last moments, choking on his own blood. "You killed my father." The youth had wished to see this man dead for some time, but in the moment felt only sadness and wondered if his own father died in the same ugly manner.

"I do this kindness not for your sake or my own." Dickon paused for a moment and drew his dagger into Anders heart. "No son should feel the pain of losing his father, at least yours will know you died swiftly."

Lord Anders fell silent and young Dickons vengeance had been met. Lord Anders Yronwood was dead and with him the Dornish Advance into the Reach had been halted, for now.

Chapter 7 - Part 2: The Golden Spear
    Enough gold to hire every mercenary company in Essos for a short time, all given to a handful of Reachmen captains in order to trigger the plan that Prince Quentyn has named 'The Golden Spear' in an attempt to make light of the kingly sum being used to bribe these men. Dorne was broke however, months of conflict and levy fees having all but drained the treasury. As such this gold came directly from House Florent, the royal dowry of Princess Shireen Baratheon.

"The first stage is complete." Prince Quentyn began addressing those in attendance as the Reachmen abandoned their posts, taking the chests of gold with them. "Ser Gerold, take your men and assault Sandstone." Quentyn pointed at a rather poorly drawn map, kindly given and marked by the Reachmen prior to them fleeing with their bribe. "Assuming these troop movements are correct, you should easily dispatch any hostiles on route to Sandstone. No prisoners"

Gerold gave a nod in acknowledgement, "Consider it done."

"Lord Mandwoody, you are to accompany him in this."
    Quentyn paused a moment to study the map, "Oberyn will deal with the fools at Skyreach."

"What of you my Prince?"
    Dagos Mandwoody spoke.

"I'll remain here with the bulk of the host. Hellhot is still in enemy hands, that must change before we can push onward." Taking a final look at the map to reassure himself, Quentyn gave the word and the lords and knights took off to forfill their given tasks. "Gods be with us, if even one of them fail this could go very badly." Quentyn thought to himself for a moment as the last remaining lord had exited the tent. "I pray this works, for all our sakes."

Night had fallen by the time Ser Gerolds forces reached Sandstone, having used the cover of night to proceed to the walls without notice. "Move swiftly and silent as the grave lads, gut them as they sleep." Gerold gave the command and began to advance on the Tyrell encampment outside the castle walls, silence fell, quickly followed by the shouts of confusion as the Reachmen began to wake, only to be cut down mere moments later.

"Light the fires!" Dayne gave the signal, setting the Tyrell camp ablaze. Those unlucky enough to get trapped inside their tents were slowly cooked alive, turning the silence into a chorus of screams and horror. The day was won, the Reachmen slaughtered and Sandstone fell within a fortnight. Gunthor Hightower, commander of the Sandstone garrison, surrendered the castle with little fight and found himself without a head mere moments later. Dayne set up the castles defenses and prepared for the arrival of the Princes. The plan had been a success as word arrived from Prince Oberyn as to the fate of the siege at Skyreach.

"Kill the bastards! Kill them all!" Ryone Gargalen screamed, waving his sword in the air, leading a cavalry charge head first into an unprepared Tyrell line. "BASTARDS!" he screamed again, no genius but the lad certainly had a way with words. Skyreach was under siege, just as Prince Oberyn had predicted and as such he'd send young Gargalen with haft of his host to lift said siege and rout the Reachmen towards Oberyns own forces. That was the plan at least.

"KILL!" Gargalen could be heard amid the clashing of steel. "Old Man! Your MINE!"

"Wha-" is all Lord Leyton managed to say as he turned to face this enemy, who was now running towards him with a truly terrifying smile on his face.

The battle was messy for the most part, but under the command of Gargalen what could one expect? "Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!" another scream, but not from Gargalen. The siege was lifted and the Reachmen fled as predicted, right into the spears of Prince Oberyn Martell and the other haft of his host. Lord Leyton led them, blood flowing from the side of his head where his ear once was, he was begin held up by two of his captains as they helplessly traversed the sands.

Atop a small hill overlooking the sands below, and Leytons men, the Red Viper of Dorne mounted his destrier and lead the final blow against Leytons battered force.

Oberyn paused a moment to look down at the lifeless husk of old Lord Leyton, broken from battle and age both. "We move. There remains much to do." With that Prince Oberyn's host set off towards Sandstone.

Chapter 7 - Part 3: Another Wedding
    Prince Oberyn and Quentyn had arrived, announcing publicly that the wedding of Quentyn and Shireen would be taking place here and now prior to moving on Starfall. The timing was partly out of a desire to ensure a heir would be conceived quickly and partly to mark the liberation of Dorne. The wedding took place outside the walls of Sandstone early in the morning, as the sun began reflecting off the sands. I'd say it was beautiful, if i wasn't so darn manly.

The ceremony began, the guests all dressed in attire more fitting a battlefield than a wedding. "Let it be known that Shireen of House Baratheon and Quentyn of the House Martell, are one heart, one flesh, and one soul."

"Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder."
    The Septon continued as Shireen and Quentyn stood before the gods and men.

It was over quickly, with a war to be won there was little time for delay. Shireen was carried off for the bedding and the young Prince Quentyn preformed his duty, attempting to be as kind and gently to his new bribe as possible. Despite her greyscale causing some concerns among the nobles and the prince, he found himself quite fond of his new wife, noble and innocent as she was although not quite as innocent now. The future looked bright in that moment.

"Your leaving?" Shireen spoke from beneath the covers, clearly still unconformable with her current arrangement, but not entirely unhappy.

Quentyn looked over to his wife and smiled. "Yes." he paused, looking out the window at his troops awaiting his word to march. "Starfall must be liberated, and then the Reach will burn."

Chapter 8: The End
    Here at the end of things his wedding felt like it happened a lifetime ago to another person entirely, the warmth of Dorne and his new wife entirely forgotten. Quentyn Martell sat atop a black destrier that he'd borrowed from some dead knight after his own beloved Dornish sand steed fell in battle barely a day passed. He remembered the horse fondly, its long neck, narrow head and swiftness. It could run for a day and night and another day, and never tire. He smirked when he realized he missed that horse more than he missed his own wife. Gods, he was a terrible husband.

"Nephew." A voice snapped Quentyn away from his thoughts.

"Yes, uncle?"

Oberyn Martell, known as the Red Viper, rode beside him atop his own dornish steed. It was black as sin with a mane and tail the color of fire. "Thinking on the battle lad?" He asked with a grin as the pair continued moving slowly forward. Highgarden was burning in the distance, the fires slowly growing smaller the further south they rode. Quentyn knew better than to think running away would change the reality of what they'd done. None were spared Dornes wrath, from the men to the babes at the breast. All dead. Was he any better than Tywin Lannister now? Yes... but it was far too close for his taste.

"No." He lied.

"Your wife then?"

He seized the chance to avoid speaking of Highgarden, or at least what was left of it. "Yes, we left so quickly that I-"

"The wars won," The vipers smiled was enough to instill fear in any man. His laugh, now that was something else. "no need to fear not returning my boy. Oldtown will surrender or bend and you'll be back in Sunspear making lots of little Martells." The viper was right, the war was done, the Reach broken into shards and shared upon the victors. Quentyn was the true Prince of Dorne now. Word had come before the siege on Highgarden, his father was dead and Dorne was well and truly his to command. His first act had been one of slaughter. His second an announcement that Dorne would forever be known as the independent Princedom of the South with lands stretching from the Arbor to Mistwood in the southern Stormlands. Never before had the banner of Nymeros-Martell hung over so many halls.

Quentyn sighed. "I feel nothing, uncle."

The viper seemed taken aback by the sudden opening up of his nephew, they'd barely spoken during the campaign. He said nothing.

"We've taken the Reach and our family is stronger than ever before. Should I not feel... something?"

"War is a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know." Oberyn's face turned blank, somehow looking more dangerous than his usually light expression. "For some, one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first."

"I'm broken then?" Quentyn asked, in the background Highgarden had all but vanished over the rolling green hills of the Reach.

Oberyn shook his head and his smile returned. "Your a man now." He said, looking proudly at his young nephew. "We're all broken in some way, is part of this life."

Quentyn thought on that in silence, and after a few moments he'd accepted a few things. "I just want to go home."

"And we will." The viper agreed. "Once these remaining bastards are bent or broken."

Meanwhile at the Ruins of Highgarden the young Edric Storm, now Edric Baratheon and King on the Iron Throne, camped outside the smoking ruins of the Tyrell capital in the center of his vast host. Martell and Baratheon were kin now though Edric's cousin and more importantly they had shed Reachmen blood together. That was a bound that would not brake easily. Riders flying the Stark banner proceeded into the camp in the early hours of the morning, the Martell forces having left some time ago to clean up what Reachmen resistance was left in the south. Edric has stayed behind encase relations with the Starks turned sour and war became the answer.

"Gentlemen," Edric greeted the messengers from the north as they entered his tent. "please sit. Have a drink."

The took it gladly, these Northmen had ridden from Goldengrove where Starks host was camped. It was an odd turn of events since Stark outriders had sacked Highgarden even more Edric and Quentyn had arrived; it had fallen back into Tyrell hands shortly afterwards due to the Northmen being unable to hold the walls. They abandoned it to the incoming Baratheon and Martell host. A good thing too, because the Martells would not allow Stark control of the city even if they had held onto it. "King Robb sends his regards." One of the envoys spoke, draining his cup of wine and slamming it down on the table.

The second envoy belched and did not bother with an apology.

"Lovely manners." Edric thought with a smile. He could see why his departed father had such love for these northmen. "Has your king thought on my offer?"

"Aye," the tallest of the two spoke as his friend refilled his cup. "his grace was glad to hear of your willingness to treat."

"The Lannisters are dead and the West is in King Robb's hands." Edric raised a cup of his own and drank deep, trying t show his gladness at the fall of House Lannister. It was no lie, the only good Lannister was a dead one. "I see no cause to fight those that have avenged my fathers murder, and that of the late Eddard Starks. I hope King Robb sees the wisdom in peace..."

"He dose." The envoy said with a smirk. The room seemed to calm a fair amount, the guards and gathered lords now far less tense.

"His Grace accepts your terms happily." The second envoy spoke, having finished his second drink.

Edric couldn't help but offer a genuine smile this time. "I'm glad to hear it."

The terms were simple enough, hostilities between the Kingdom of the North, Kingdom of the Iron Throne and the Princedom of the South would cease. Non aggression pacts would be formed between all three parties and secertly the Iron Throne and Dorne would agree to come to each others aid should the North ever get too ambitious and brake what they had named as the 'Treaty of Three'. Edric Baratheon would not be King of Westeros, but he'd never desired that title and his people had suffered more than enough already. War with the North would have been bloody, even with Dorne's support, and Edric would not drag his lords into a war of greed.

The war for the Reach and subsequently the war of the Five Kings ended when the walls of Oldtown were seized, what followed was a new golden age of peace as the realms of men rebuilt all that was lost. Oberyn Martell esd hailed as the 'the Conqueror'. Trystane Martell named Lord of Oldtown while his elder brother Quentyn was granted Highspear, once known as Highgarden, to forever act as the seat of House Martells heirs. Princess Arianne's wedding to Lord Yronwood took place as a reward for the houses part and loyalty in the war. The Princedom of Dorne and the Reach continued peacefully away from the shadow of the Iron Throne. Lord Cletus Yronwood's relative Olyvar was granted high-lordship over the holdings along the Reach-Dorne border and renamed Cider Hall as Bloodroyal Hall; where a grand stature of Lord Anders Yronwood was built to honor his victories against the Reachmen before his unfortunate death. House Yronwood's future was brighter than ever, but Lord Cletus couldn't help but feel that nothing will ever soften the loss of his beloved father. Lands and title would not bring his father back.

OOC: So ends what is in my eyes a mediocre AAR. By my current standards (I have since written a handful of stories and have improved greatly) I'm ashamed of how basic this story is and how it's ended, but I shall leave you with a promise to do a new AAR far greater and on par with my fanfiction(s). I'll update this OP shortly for easy reading. + You can read my other stories here - https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5785709/SoulGamesInc