Thread: What percentage of a Medieval English army would be cavalry?

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default What percentage of a Medieval English army would be cavalry?

I was going to be a little less specific, but I remembered that it would require being specific. (Considering saying What percentage of an average European Medieval army was cavalry?Would have widely different results depending on the nation. Such as France and there Cavalry/knightly orientated armies, would be rather different to say a Scottish army of Highlanders.)

So, to say a host of fifty thousand soldiers was raised. Can anyone give me an average percentage of numbers? Such as how many cavalry there would be (percentage) and the like?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

General Retreat's Avatar Policeman Pleb

Default Re: What percentage of a Medieval English army would be cavalry?

I'd recommend getting the thread moved to the Vestigia Vetustatis - you'll get more accurate answers there.

My initial thought is that it'd be hard to say. In pre-professional Feudal armies composition wouldn't necessarily be governed by doctrine - more what was available to the Commander in question.

Might be a good idea to look up a historical battle and simply use that as a template.
    Swords of the Sea: 1066 has come and gone, the Danelaw torn down and a new kingdom built in the image of its Norman rulers. But with time, wounds heal and what is broken can be reforged. The Danes have returned with steel, and seek to reclaim what is theirs.
    The Great Expedition: Pax Anglia, one of Earth's great empires, sprawling across the stars. On their newly colonised planet of Nova Sydney, adventure awaits on the savage frontier - Henry Boyce steps forward to lead an expedition to pierce the Bushlands' wild heart.
    Winter War: Finland, 1939. The Soviet war machine has begun its indomitable advance from the east. Of all its neighbours, only Finland stands alone in defiance. Conscript Anton Bezrukov prepares for a quick victory, but the reality is far bloodier...

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

This is not the completely accurate data, but it is the closest to accurate figures and are used in RPG games. However, do note that the figures are in approximate percentages and they are for a standard campaign preparation. That is, a Medieval king would raise this force for a full on campaign and not as a muster to put down some revolt.

Troop class
    Heavy - 20% | Light - 80%
    Cavalry - 35% | Infantry - 65%

Troop types
    Heavy Cavalry - 10%
    Light Cavalry - 25%
    Heavy Infantry - 10%
    Light Infantry - 45%
    Missile Infantry - 10%
    Last edited by m_1512; July 09, 2014 at 12:16 AM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Thank you M! That was bugging me for a while

Thanks mate.

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

No problems, this had bugged me back when I was writing rule set for an RPG game. So, I had to do some deep research to get the figures and then base them to percentages after averaging.