Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why Soccer will (not) succeed in America

Comes Limitis

Default Why Soccer will (not) succeed in America

I learned recently NBA teams even have a thing called "revenue sharing", where the wealthy teams pay millions in cash for the unwealthy ones after each season.

So far for communist euro-sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

I WUB PUGS's Avatar OOH KILL 'EM

Default Re: World Cup 2014, Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    I learned recently NBA teams even have a thing called "revenue sharing", where the wealthy teams pay millions in cash for the unwealthy ones after each season.

So far for communist euro-sports.
    Its a feature that is built in along with things like caps and floors to ensure some level of parity.

Those revenues are also disbursed because of ticket sales and TV revenue. You know, it takes two teams to play a game.

It isn't as all as level as you're tying to imply. For example the NFL and NHL have revenue sharing too. Doesn't mean that the Dallas Cowboys or Toronto Maple Leafs have to worry about sharing a giant chunk of their massive pies with the likes of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Nashville Predators.

All it is, is LEAGUE revenue shared among everyone. The rich teams are still the rich teams, but a salary cap keeps them from doing whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    I'd say that guy who missed at the end of regular time would be out of a career if the US looses, but then again once the US is out no one will care about soccer anymore so meh
    Essentially. I've spent far more time following NHL free agency today.

Though, looking at the shot chart for this game............... wtf is the point of playing if you're just going to get shelled all game long. Droll.

Oh come one. No one thinks the US are supermen in soccer.

Its like our 7th favorite sport.

This looks like Maple Leafs hockey. Also known as, how to lose a game.

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    I was under the impression getting this far was already a really good result for the US team
    It is.

No one in USA Soccer is anything but elated.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Basically Soccer is to the US what American Football is to Europe. Yes some people play it, but its a minor sport.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Still hurts to lose.

Though I've been much more afraid of what this man would do to me today.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Basically Soccer is to the US what American Football is to Europe. Yes some people play it, but its a minor sport.
    there is a lot more soccer players in USA than american football players in Europe. Maybe it is more like Handball in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by baptistus View Post
    there is a lot more soccer players in USA than football players in Europe. Maybe it is more like Handball in Europe.
    Mostly due to the US High School Sports system. As I understand it, in most of Europe schools don't have sports teams attached to them.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

Quote Originally Posted by baptistus View Post
    there is a lot more soccer players in USA than football players in Europe. Maybe it is more like Handball in Europe.
    The number of soccer players plummets substantially after puberty for some reason. I don't know how many people play handball in Europe. Just imagine a game that LOTS of children play, that also has play through high school and college and even a pro-league................just that no one really cares about. BUT pretty much every white or latino child in the US will play soccer...............until they're like 11.

Quote Originally Posted by I WUB PUGS View Post
    The number of soccer players plummets substantially after puberty for some reason. I don't know how many people play handball in Europe. Just imagine a game that LOTS of children play, that also has play through high school and college and even a pro-league................just that no one really cares about. BUT pretty much every white or latino child in the US will play soccer...............until they're like 11.
    Which is why I compared it to American Football in Europe, if you took away the children portion.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

What did they put into the USA drink's bottles? They seemed to 'come alive' in the 2nd half of extra time.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    What did they put into the USA drink's bottles? They seemed to 'come alive' in the 2nd half of extra time.
    That type of play will never captivate Americans as a whole. It doesn't play into our psyche at all. We won't sit through 90+ minutes of our team getting beaten into the ground while playing for a tie or to force a shootout.

I get Klinnsmann is trying to get the team further down the road for Russia 2016, but if you want to cultivate a game in a country, you need to build a team that plays like the country expects it to play.

He had them playing totally conservative the entire tournament. Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    When they where behind they had to come, but you could see that this left their rear wide open for penetration by Lukaku or Mirallas (who I'd never have put on the field, Januzaj is better) had they played like that from the start, they'd have been penetrated hard and forced to swallow several goals as Howard would have been outnumbered
    Get better on the defense or clog up the middle. This type of play will always be considered boring in the US. We love defense, just not this type of defense.

Klinnsmanns did the best thing for US Soccer when he said we couldn't win. Don't tell Americans we can't do something or we'll try it. Whether its going to the moon, invading random countries or Soccer.

Klinnsmanns did the best thing for US Soccer when he said we couldn't win. Don't tell Americans we can't do something or we'll try it. Whether its going to the moon, invading random countries or Soccer.
    Problem is that people, not like NFL Playoff levels of people, but people and their kids were watching and for most of the time in all of our matches, we definitely didn't look like we could win.

Would rather lose a game 5-2 or 4-3 than play for ties. At least we'd have some Sportscenter highlights.

Eh, whatever, we're never going to get over the hump until we tap into our athletic base as a whole. Stop telling the 14 year old that can't catch but can run a 4.6 40 that he's going to be a wide receiver. The kid can't catch. Send him to the soccer coach and see if he can kick a ball.

They need to move the MLS cup to August-October. December is too far into NFL/NCAA Football territory.

Yeah the US Women's national team accomplishes a lot. If only our men's team could play just as good!

They need to move the MLS cup to August-October. December is too far into NFL/NCAA Football territory.
    There's really nowhere you can put it. Maybe start a month or two earlier, but then you've gotta deal with snow. Have MLS Cup falling right at the start (the crap part) of football season.

They'd probably do better to split it between fall and spring and have the playoffs right after Superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ML101 View Post
    Yeah the US Women's national team accomplishes a lot. If only our men's team could play just as good!
    Its one of the few sports that women in the US can find support for at every level and pay for college playing it. Can do the same with men's but soccer at the collegiate level is really geared towards women. I dunno if Florida State has a men's team now. We had a women's back then (graduated in 05). Nobody went to their games for sure, but nobody went to baseball games either despite having one of the best teams in the country. It was football or nothing..........unless Duke or UNC were visiting for BBall.
    Last edited by I WUB PUGS; July 01, 2014 at 06:06 PM.

As long as its not competing with football, because it will lose. It can compete with Baseball, Basketball and Hockey but not with Football.

As long as its not competing with football, because it will lose. It can compete with Baseball, Basketball and Hockey but not with Football.
    It still has a hard time competing with Baseball, Basketball and Hockey amazingly. Need to find a dead zone for it. May June is totally out of the question with NBA and NHL playoffs and MLB ramping up. The spring time is the dead time that they can take advantage of regular season Basketball and Hockey and NO FOOTBALL or baseball. Would have to sacrifice half the season though to play in the fall and just have a break in winter. Football from November-January is king.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast