Thread: Third Reich: Total War-Team recruitment

Default Third Reich: Total War-Team recruitment

So, I'll be upfront, I'm no modder...I know basics like unlocking all factions or whatnot, but that's it. And I can be impatient and rather slow when learning. And to be honest, I am a bit lazy. But in my defense, modding doesn't look like an easy thing...And it is sort of intimidating for someone with no prior programming experience. Just felt I needed to get that out of the way.

But anyway, I still wanted a good mod centered around the deadliest war in history. Not only because it's a good opportunity that, at least as far as I know, hasn't been tapped. At least, for a full scale campaign from England to Russia. But again, couldn't mod to save my life. So I figured, why not get my own crew of modders and idea advisors, and bring one into existence. Problem is, I'm a teenager, young and under care. No Job, and no way to send money if I had one. So, what I'm looking for are some bored hobby modders with some decent work in creating and reworking units, landscapes, ETC. that's just lookin' for a side project while working on a mod of their own or just bored and want something to do that just do it for, well, a hobby, and for free...Know there probably aren't many bites out there for free, but eh, at least I'm honest.

Now, for the real kicker...The game I want to use is the original Rome. And I know it's stupid using a game intended for hand to hand and sword combat rather to make a game completely centered around firearms and rifles when there are other total wars that already have a focus on that sort of gun wielding warfare. But, really, my computer is around nine years old, and can really only play Rome at it's best. So that's the one I have. Unless someone else wants to take on the job of putting all the elements in the mod...

So, there ya' go... There is my sort of demanding proposal. Anyone interested? If not I suppose I can buckle down and learn and make it myself...But I wanna see if I can make this happen before that. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Third Reich: Total War-Team recruitment

My best advice I can give to you is that you would start to learn to do stuff yourself and work the base for the mod alone. I mean no offence, but right now I seriously doubt that anyone would seriously devote their time on a project, which likely won't ever see a release. There have been similar mod proposals with a WW2 setting, but they never got off the ground. Could be that the concept is very unfitting for the TW engine, or that the technical challenges to make a reasonable realistic WW2 setting were too much of a trouble. Either way, you must be the one who starts working on these questions and demonstrate that this project has potential, which in turn makes the mod appealing for others to join.

If you are serious and willing to make an effort for your own proposal, you could create a thread in the WIP section of RTW forums. There you could possibly write down what are the goals of the mod and what it is all about and most importantly showing an unique idea how the WW2 concept could function properly within the engine limitations. For this you'd need to have some knowledge how to mod and also a basic idea what the limitations are.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Well, Mr. Finlander, first of all, I thank you for being kind and collected about giving your advice. To be honest I'm just as new to this community, and really just like to play the games. So I didn't know if my responses would be along the youtube variety of "Noob" Or something like that due to my lack of experience and really making such a scarce proposal... So I'm glad my first response was well thought out and helpful to alleviate that...

As for the recommendations...Yes, in hindsight, at least learning how to create units or skin new ones to present with generals and basic unit overviews would have been better. I probably will just take the time to learn if I have no luck and feel like this needs to be made...The main problem would be bringing in tanks and the A.I. and tactics for it...But thanks for your help, man!

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

TWC is, as long as you avoid the political mudpit and the Rome 2 section as a rule haha, a most friendly and helpful community

Take Fin's suggestion to heart, because lika a 'law of attraction' modders attract modders. Trust me, I've never gathered team mates before I have done some work to present, but then also got experienced artisans to my side because they saw it was projects with a future (simply because it was something that obviously would be worked upon even if they did not offered their services).
    When you show that you want to an can do something on your own, then fellows will be interested into supporting you, as you show honest intention and determination as well as capacity. No one want to spend their limited time on something where the leader can not contribute more than an idea, as then it's better to take inspiration and go on with it by yourself since the leader will not understand the demand work require nor the technical aspects, or worst off want to take a free ride upon others sweat and toil, as an idea is the easy part, hehe.

So, indeed, start learn how to mod! Check the Mod Workshop, there's a lot of tutorials there.
    Begin small, just to learn step by step, almost everyone wwho is green and tries to start with a grand project hit the wall fast, since there's a learning curve. You will amke many mistakes along the way, and swear at the screen now and then, but that is excellent as you build up your experience (remembering old mistakes will amke future tasks very much easier!) and when you do succeed, it's a Eureka-moment worth it all
    I myself had not modded in my life when I joined TWC back in 2011, nor did I belive I would ever manage, but step by step I grasped small parts till I became a decent jack of all trades, and hey, 2013 the members elected me their favourite M2 coder and sound modder of 2012; so push on and have fun!

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well, Thanks... Yeah, I would be contributing very little. i did want a personal team of advisers and idea men to further expand upon it all... I've also, in the last few hours, considered and tried looking for a sort of modding mentor, a guy that could maybe go along the steps with me...Probably just as little a chance of finding one of those guys. But it's worth a shot. Especially since, in addition to just being inexperienced, while the terms don't make a complete foreign language to me, the tutorials I've seen make me feel like I'm trying to learn how to speak Vulcan... But if I must, I'll power on and try to end up like your success story And carve out my modding path. Whatever is best and whatever I will be able to get.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

These are good articles to read if you want to start a mod project.

What a Mod Leader Should Know.

Guide to Mod Development Management.

Stop Trying To Get On The World.

Once you know what you're up to and whether you can weather the storm then the Vulcan language will suddenly sounds like English.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

Thanks a bundle!