Thread: Direction of Modding in TW community.

Default Direction of Modding in TW community.

Considering no amount of patching or modding is going to give the deep immersion and personal connection, game-play elements and fundamental mechanics that older TW games have given us, does anyone else agree energies would be better spent working on TW engine 1 & 2 games (ala EB2?) particularly as memory editing (as official from CA) means hardcoded limits are also defacto removed on these games creating opportunities for Paradox levels of scale in a TW format.

As my old man would say; there is no point trying to polish a turd. Or Flogging a dead horse. I think Rome 2 needs to be left to die, and those who oppose either have a vested interest (modding in Rome 2 primarily) or are new fanboys with no concept of the older games aka: the target of the streamlining. I must point out no mod thus far has cured the fundamental issues in the Warscape Engine in its manifestation in Rome 2 or the lack of immersion. I play the game and I simply feel no connection to my faction or its people, I simply don't care if my greatest general dies or not. Something is missing you can't patch up. Some of the mods are great, but what is greater than utter shite?

Tying more ropes to a log does not make it a bridge.

Default Re: Direction of Modding in TW community.

I personally don't consider RTW2 a lost cause. At all.

It COULD be fixable in years to come through mods, but that is the big issue, when they gave mod tools to the community for this it was effectively "sorry for this steaming turd, you guys can have a go if you like" in tandem with furious update spamming (the most i've seen, ever). Rather than : "Im glad you enjoyed vanilla, now build upon this solid foundation. My point is the foundation is not solid and we can't tamper with the code. So why bother? Think what you could do with the older games (or what is already being done!)

If a video game gets you this upset, I recommend cutting down on computer use and trying to get other things in your life to fill that blank.

I also think that rome 2 is dead at the moment, the design decisions in this game are a WTF!? statement and also the CA business practice is disgusting,if this continues to the next title total war will die.We still are left with Rome1 and Medieval II, but I think they realised their mistakes and the next title will blow our minds, if not then no more tw from CA.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I've always bought these games with an understanding that I'd play the vanilla until the community created something epic with a touch of personality and flair.

Then the longevity of the game would increase threefold.

I still feel that way.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudolivius View Post
    I also think that rome 2 is dead at the moment, the design decisions in this game are a WTF!?
    Well keep thinking that. 15k+ players still play it each day, with or without mods. It is far from dead and the best and most ambitious mods have not even been released yet.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    Well keep thinking that. 15k+ players still play it each day, with or without mods. It is far from dead and the best and most ambitious mods have not even been released yet.
    i disagree, the best mod has been released already though not complete (if you guessed the mod in my signature then you are correct )
    Last edited by Magnar; June 30, 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Magnar View Post
    i disagree, the best mod has been released already
    I see what you did there

don't forget the best mod that hasn't been released yet...

Anyways, Rome II is in all honesty not that bad, it has its issues but its not the evil sack of junk that some people make it out to be, and this is coming from someone who has played every Total War game except for the original shogun and a few of the expansions.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; June 30, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

The best mod is the one that doesn't care about audience or being the best, but is made purely for passion and personal use

Anyways, I agree that Rome II is a disaster, since everybody knows I was not a big fan of September 2013. With a few additions we can make something out of it though --> e.g. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...d-trait-limits or Map Editing Tools.

What we will never see is big changes I think, like that freaking ugly UI will most probably never change and honestly I think this is also the case, why the game was so dumbed down with UI limitations, baby style design and little to now information displayed.

Welcome to the era of 21th century gaming. touch screens, DLC, alpha-releases, pre-ordering and deceiving marketing. And who is responsible for this? I guess we all are.
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 30, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    Welcome to the era of 21th century gaming. touch screens, DLC, alpha-releases, pre-ordering and deceiving marketing. And who is responsible for this? I guess we all are.
    Personally, I like R2, despite the flaws. I've found all the TW games, with the possible exception of S1 and M1, pretty frustrating. That said, I agree 100% with your comment above - R2 is just a symptom of all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stívarđr Rogn View Post
    I've always bought these games with an understanding that I'd play the vanilla until the community created something epic with a touch of personality and flair.

Then the longevity of the game would increase threefold.

I still feel that way.
    Agreed.

I'm not sure about that.The game is not as terrible as it was at release anymore and it even has its great moments now.Of course the fundamental design still sucks since you can't patch design and the game constantly reminds you of the bad design decisions while playing it,but I'm not sure anymore that it's totally hopeless.That's why I'm currently making an experiment by modding the hell out of it.I will mod everything that CA allows us to mod in this game to my liking and try it again and if I still don't like it then,it's definitely game over for me.But until then I get a feeling that with this mod I might even love Rome 2.Who knows,we'll see...

With all that said though,map modding tools are a must CA...

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    The best mod is the one that doesn't care about audience or being the best, but is made purely for passion and personal use
    Wise words that I totally agree with.I couldn't have said it better.I'm currently developing such an overhaul mod for myself that is focused on 3 main principles: history,realism,tactics.I'll keep your wise words in mind during the whole development process as a source of inspiration.Thanks .

It's not the company's and corporations who are destroying the strategy genre, it's the people who buy it. Opinions don't matter, numbers do.

As much as we want to see it, CA won't go out of business if they continue to cater towards the casual market and stray away from their core fans. This lack of loyalty won't tarnish their reputation so long as they produce games that the causal market take an interest in.

Its like those hose people who drive to a rally or protest over the war over oil then drive back again. We're all guilty and expect the authority to change their ways, but wherever the people go... the money follows.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GrudgeNL View Post
    Totally disagree! Just look at my mod, DEI and Radious mods just to name a few! These are major overhauls of the game and modded to death

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Totally disagree! Just look at my mod

Oh you. As I said the best and most ambitious mods are yet to be released in my opinion. And I'll add 'my opinion' afterwards so I don't get jumped by freaked out modders.

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Totally disagree! Just look at my mod, DEI and Radious mods just to name a few! These are major overhauls of the game and modded to death
    Are you implying the game has been modded to death, or that your overhaul and those of others have been (sub)modded to death?
    Last edited by GrudgeNL; July 01, 2014 at 08:21 AM.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

I have played every game in the series and I really like Rome 2. Mods aren't polishing a turd, they are just making the game a little bit better than it already is.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Wolfsblut's Avatar Semisalis

I just reinstalled the game a couple of days ago after i threw it away 10 hours after release.
    And no, that was not too fast, that was 5 hours to late.
    I bought it a year to early, that was my only fault, but i was used to preorder Total War games since Rome I came out.
    Steam shows me 82 hours gametime now... damn it was only a few days ago, how could i get so much... erm... nvm.

With some good mods it is indeed more than just playable now.
    I wouldn´t have expected that, tbh.

Who played Total War since Shogun I and tries to tell me that Rome 2 wasn´t even an bigger insolence than the release of Empire, i only have a much overused word these days for you.
    That word is fanboy/girl.

However, even after the depature of Vader there are still really good mods that change the game into the old-school direction.
    I use the ones of Radious (but his unitmods, i love his work since Shogun II, but those are simply overkill for my taste, i don´t like every kind of unit in every rooster), there are a few others that get rid of the utterly annoying Starfcraft II-gameplay that CA was trying to sell as total war.

So, you either can play the cheap and fast vanilla or choose from some well developed mods to tinker it to fit your taste.

Personally i don´t see a reason to tell anyone to don´t mod this anymore, without the modding community this piece of crap would have never been playable for alot of old TW fans.

There may come a Total War that is so utterly forged for the braindead action-game-masses that i won´t play it (and Rome 2 was the last time i preordered a CA game for sure), but this one got, with my mod-setting, all the strategic and tactical depth that made Total War what it used to be.

Maybe the next one will be so fubar that even the modders can´t make it enjoyable for someone with an IQ above 80 or the attention span of a ... oh look a little bird... you know?

You want to say that Rome 2 was in an early beta state when it was released? indeed.
    Rome 2 Vanilla is still a bad joke for you? i am in the same boat.
    But why the heck telling the modders to stop modding it?

I got 1552 hours on kingdom, 347 hours on Shogun 2 and i owe 95 % of them to the modders of TWC, started years ago with a very early version of Kongs Third Age.
    So let them mod what they want to and play or don´t.
    Last edited by Wolfsblut; July 01, 2014 at 05:14 PM.
    May the earth be light upon you, lest the dogs can dig you out more easy.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsblut View Post
    I just reinstalled the game a couple of days ago after i threw it away 10 hours after release.
    And no, that was not too fast, that was 5 hours to late.
    I bought it a year to early, that was my only fault, but i was used to preorder Total War games since Rome I came out.
    Steam shows me 82 hours gametime now... damn it was only a few days ago, how could i get so much... erm... nvm.

With some good mods it is indeed more than just playable now.
    I wouldn´t have expected that, tbh.

Who played Total War since Shogun I and tries to tell me that Rome 2 wasn´t even an bigger insolence than the release of Empire, i only have a much overused word these days for you.
    That word is fanboy/girl.

However, even after the depature of Vader there are still really good mods that change the game into the old-school direction.
    I use the ones of Radious (but his unitmods, i love his work since Shogun II, but those are simply overkill for my taste, i don´t like every kind of unit in every rooster), there are a few others that get rid of the utterly annoying Starfcraft II-gameplay that CA was trying to sell as total war.

So, you either can play the cheap and fast vanilla or choose from some well developed mods to tinker it to fit your taste.

Personally i don´t see a reason to tell anyone to don´t mod this anymore, without the modding community this piece of crap would have never been playable for alot of old TW fans.

There may come a Total War that is so utterly forged for the braindead action-game-masses that i won´t play it (and Rome 2 was the last time i preordered a CA game for sure), but this one got, with my mod-setting, all the strategic and tactical depth that made Total War what it used to be.

Maybe the next one will be so fubar that even the modders can´t make it enjoyable for someone with an IQ above 80 or the attention span of a ... oh look a little bird... you know?

You want to say that Rome 2 was in an early beta state when it was released? indeed.
    Rome 2 Vanilla is still a bad joke for you? i am in the same boat.
    But why the heck telling the modders to stop modding it?

I got 1552 hours on kingdom, 347 hours on Shogun 2 and i owe 95 % of them to the modders of TWC, started years ago with a very early version of Kongs Third Age.
    So let them mod what they want to and play or don´t.
    "Who played Total War since Shogun I and tries to tell me that Rome 2 wasn´t even an bigger insolence than the release of Empire, i only have a much overused word these days for you.
    That word is fanboy/girl." Your argument would improve if you didn't resort to the irritating tactic of insulting people you disagree with.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Moved from Rome 2 General discussions.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook