Thread: Posting and publishing poetry and prose

Default Posting and publishing poetry and prose

I am curious as to whether anybody has run into any issues with posting work on here, or anywhere on the internet for that matter, when trying to subsequently publish said work. For example, if I were to post a short story into the monthly creative writing competition, who then retains the rights to that piece? The TWC or me? Would I face any potential problems if I chose to turn that short story into a novel or include it in a compilation that I attempt to publish? The same with poetry. If I write a piece on here, how many problems would I face if I included it in a compilation of poems to publish? I'd love to get some unbiased feedback on my work, but I am extremely close to my writing and intend to publish in the near future, and wouldn't want to hinder that in any way. Please, I'd love some advice from people in the know, if you would give it.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Posting and publishing poetry and prose

TWC won't own your work, I know that much. The main problem is if you publish through a publisher (i.e. not independently) and such work is posted to the internet. Easy solution is to post your work here, the delete it if and when you decide to publish. That's what people here have done in the past and also what people have done among other online writers communities I've been a part of. The other option is to post an abridged version of your work.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Posting and publishing poetry and prose

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    TWC won't own your work, I know that much. The main problem is if you publish through a publisher (i.e. not independently) and such work is posted to the internet. Easy solution is to post your work here, the delete it if and when you decide to publish. That's what people here have done in the past and also what people have done among other online writers communities I've been a part of. The other option is to post an abridged version of your work.
    Agreed.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)