Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Marcus Aurelius getting so popular these days?

Default Why is Marcus Aurelius getting so popular these days?

And why is he getting so famous, was he that good of an emperor?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Why is Marcus Aurelius getting so popular these days?

I was actually wondering the exact same thing. I suppose it was because of the movie Gladiator. Either way though he has always enjoyed a pretty good reputation.

As for the second question I won't answer in much detail because I know that there are others, particularly Roman and Greek buffs which will articulate the answer better than me. But the man basically succeed other big names like Trajan, Hadrian and Antoninus Pius. These four emperors all sought to fix the administration of the empire and resolved many possible crises. Perhaps also Marcus Aurelius' good reputation has to do with the fact that he was the last capable man in that aforementioned chain. Basically the last useful emperor that had a stable government for a long while. His death had short lived or shady administrations like Commodus, Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Caracalla and Geta etc.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I was actually wondering the exact same thing. I suppose it was because of the movie Gladiator. Either way though he has always enjoyed a pretty good reputation.

As for the second question I won't answer in much detail because I know that there are others, particularly Roman and Greek buffs which will articulate the answer better than me. But the man basically succeed other big names like Trajan, Hadrian and Antoninus Pius. These four emperors all sought to fix the administration of the empire and resolved many possible crises. Perhaps also Marcus Aurelius' good reputation has to do with the fact that he was the last capable man in that aforementioned chain. Basically the last useful emperor that had a stable government for a long while. His death had short lived or shady administrations like Commodus, Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Caracalla and Geta etc.
    He also had a book called Meditations and he was a good philosopher.

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

He was a good emperor in that he did not seek war but defended the empire when he had to and won (albeit it was very hard-fought). Also as Lord Oda stated it was the last time for a century (besides the reign of Septimius Severus) that the empire had real stability. He was a good emperor in that he was morally sound and ran the administration well. The only mistake he made was picking his son Commodus for succession and many emperors would look good if they were followed up by Commodus anyway. And I have to agree with the Gladiator thing - that is my favorite movie.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

It is because that damned Gladiator... Without that film most people would not know who the heck he was (besides Roman fans, but even Roman fans - particularly those blood-thirst history nerds, probably would not remember him well since he did not organize many famous bloodbowls like other "Good Emperors" such as Trajan)...

Last edited by hellheaven1987; June 27, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Quote Originally Posted by BosnianKnight View Post
    He also had a book called Meditations and he was a good philosopher.
    Apparently Bill Clinton's favorite book, and he claims to read it at least once a year. Though the idea that Clinton was a virtuous leader and master of self-control and indulging impulses is somewhat laughable.

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Meditations is a good read. I have a copy. He is popular because he attempted to be a selfless servant to the state in a position that demands cruelty he attempted kindness. He still went to war when it mattered. He has been considered throughout the ages a role model to many different peoples. I'm not saying he was perfect I am just saying he had a big impact from being largely different from his predecessors and being the leader when the Roman Empire was considered at its apex. The popularity in history of Marcus Aurelius has never really dwindled.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

I didn't know he was getting any more popular.
    "We will bring Rome to them not because of the strength of our legions, but because we are right"

"The Romans had left marble and stone, brick and glory."

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by sanbourne View Post
    I didn't know he was getting any more popular.
    Yeah, I mean, is he getting popular amongst the hoi polloi or us people who read history? Gladiator came out 14 years ago; this seems like kind of a late thread if he is indeed getting more popular.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

He was always pretty popular. He's one of the canonical 5 good emperors (Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius) who ruled over the height of the Roman empire, and he was the last of the great emperors of the Principate. Plus he's a famous philosopher, and is thought of as one of the most virtuous rulers in history. And he managed to avoid any massively notorious screw ups as far as historiography is concerned, unlike say Trajan and his persecution of the Christians (not to say Marcus Aurelius didn't persecute Christians as well, he just made the prudent move of being born several years after the death of Pliny and other prolific letter writers).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

He was a great stoicist and made many wise quotes. Check them up. Personally they're the only quotes that makes perfect sense to me. On principle he was simplistic and very reasonable.

Senator

A great Emperor and a decent human being, worthy of being remembered.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    It is because that damned Gladiator... Without that film most people would not know who the heck he was (besides Roman fans, but even Roman fans - particularly those blood-thirst history nerds, probably would not remember him well since he did not organize many famous bloodbowls like other "Good Emperors" such as Trajan)...
    Actually, I think it started with Alec Guinness in The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964):

...but that's just me. To be honest, I think the core of his continued popularity stems from his Meditations (written in Greek) and support of Stoicism, if not for his military successes. In terms of conquest, though, he didn't quite stack up to Trajan.

LOL. The guy to his right in the first picture (James Mason playing Timonides) looks so much like Mark Ruffalo.

To myself is very good book, might look a bit odd ,but still I enjoyed it. I might even call it motivational. It might seem strange that man of such moral virtues persecuted Christians very harsh. In his time Christianity emerged from the darkness and he felt obligated to stop it further expanding.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

According to the series "Rome Rise and Fall of an Empire", he was the last Roman emperor to get the upper hand in Germany itself. He also left us "Meditations" a Britannica copy I have from 1994.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

If I recall correctly Marcus Aurelius has never been forgotten by those in the know. He was always the example as far as the idealistic Emperors were concerned. All wanted to be likened to him and even the successor states to Rome were aware of him and used him as a standard for a prince.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

I never finished reading Meditations, but what I read was interesting. Smart guy and a fine stoic.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Praeses

He starts the meditations listing the people to whom he owes his good attributes (and he thinks he has many. Sounds like an utter self absorbed tosser but thats hardly surprising given he's an absolute monarch: absolute power and all that. Is it really all his own work or cut-and-paste spophistry?

Appartently he was no fool on the battlefield but he botched the succession and his ramblings remind me of a mediocre blog. Maybe if he spent less time online on parchment and adopting an heir fit to rule like the rest of the Antonines did he'd have left the Empire less perilously positioned.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

His name is also really cool. Marcus Aurelius. Kinda rolls off the tounge real nice.

That Commodus reign lastet 12 years and that his murder was a spontaneous attempt within his inner circle suggests that he was actually quite successful. The same with Domitian who also reigned over a decade and was killed be a rather small gang. Even Caligula could be counted to them. All three have in common that they were actually quite popular among the people, Domitian not as strong as the others, but except their relationship with the senate, they had a successful government. Their only problem was that they were on confrontation with the senate and 99 % of the historians were senators.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast