Thread: New PC Advice

Icon5 New PC Advice

Gday

I'm Looking to upgrade from an 8 year old 1st gen Dual Core.
    Problem is I'm completely lost with all the new tech ... despite spending considerable time trying to get my head around things / reading through endless reviews and tech explanantions.

If anyone is able to offer advice I'd be indebted?

This is what I was thinking of getting:

• CPU: Intel i7 4770K? (i7 better than i5 right?) What are these Octo Core AMDs?
    • MBO: ASUS Maximus VI (What is LAG 1155 and should I be considering LGA 2011? What is the Z77 & Z87 cipsets and should I be considering the Z97?)
    • GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9-290X WindForce 3X OC .. or something else?
    • Budget: Sub AUS$ 2,500

?
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; June 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Default Re: New PC Advice

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V View Post
    Gday

I'm Looking to upgrade from an 8 year old 1st gen Dual Core.
    Problem is I'm completely lost with all the new tech ... despite spending considerable time trying to get my head around things / reading through endless reviews and tech explanantions.

If anyone is able to offer advice I'd be indebted?

This is what I was thinking of getting:

• CPU: Intel i7 4770K? (i7 better than i5 right?) What are these Octo Core AMDs?
    • MBO: ASUS Maximus VI (What is LAG 1155 and should I be considering LGA 2011? What is the Z77 & Z87 cipsets and should I be considering the Z97?)
    • GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9-290X WindForce 3X OC .. or something else?
    • Budget: Sub AUS$ 2,500

?
    4670k would be ok. forget amd chips...

something like this would do for the mobo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-195-MS

what screen do you plan on using? might make a difference to the gpu....

not far off 880 from nvidia...

qnix 2710 is a great option for a screen...(plus u being in oz should reduce shipping i would have thought).

can help u with the other bits as well..i.e case etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    4670k would be ok. forget amd chips...

something like this would do for the mobo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-195-MS

what screen do you plan on using? might make a difference to the gpu....

not far off 880 from nvidia...

qnix 2710 is a great option for a screen...(plus u being in oz should reduce shipping i would have thought).

can help u with the other bits as well..i.e case etc..
    Hi, huge thanks.

Apologies but my old tv monitor kicked the bucket. I needed something so I've purchased the BenQ XL2411T that was recommended my a PC mag (AUS PC Gamer)

Been reading up on the Intel Core i7 4790 (Rel May 2014). Not sure what chipset these run? I believe they have the LGA1150 ? sockets. Would this be better than the i5 4670k? This hyperthreading thing I presume is a good thing to have? I don't know how / have much time to tinker with overclocking stuff so I'm looking for hardware that is pretty good out of the box.

Is the MSI X79A-GD45 Plus (8D) Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard compatible?

What case would you suggest? Worth getting a water cooler for CPU? Been reading up on the Corsair H100i ..

Rgds
    Dave
    Last edited by PSYCHO V; July 05, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

For gaming you only need to max out single-core performance. Hyperthreading or anything i7 offers wouldn't help, and AMD's shouldn't even be considered.

I didn't need water cooling to overclock my i5-3570k from 3.4G (3.8G single-core turboboost) to 4.2GHz (all 4 cores), with temperature below 70 except in IntelBurnTest where it's 80. But a better and bigger CPU cooler is definitely needed.
    Last edited by AqD; July 06, 2014 at 03:09 AM.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I'm still in the dark as regards overclocking...my system copes well with ROME II as it is, but I'd love to see the performance if I could overclock...

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I don't think it'd affect rome 2 much, since rome 2 is newer and newer games put more load on GPU instead of CPU.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    I don't think it'd affect rome 2 much, since rome 2 is newer and newer games put more load on GPU instead of CPU.
    Ah, cool. Thanks man.

I've got an i5 as I updated from an i3 when Rome II came out!

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    actually not true this. depends on the game. Rome2 is more cpu bound....

p.s regards the original op. basically you want the cheapest overclockable quad....yeah the watercoolers for cpu are good but you can get away with a decent air cooler if you want to save some money.

crazyeyesreaper reaper recommended a good one in another thread.

if you can get the latest mobo's that's ideal as they might be compatible with future releases so you could upgrade cpu at a later date. 4670k seems to be compatible with that mobo i listed and has more than enough grunt for gaming.

i'd personally get something a bit more expensive like the 4790k but crazeyesreaper might give u the lowdown...tbh am a bit of of touch with cpu's.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Computer-Build (he lists a cooler here).

some cases

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...362&catid=1489

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...362&catid=1489

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=2362&catid=35
    Last edited by Totalheadache; July 07, 2014 at 01:04 PM.