View Poll Results: Uniform Colors or Mixed?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed Colours

50 30.49%
  • Mixed Colours for Most

64 39.02%
  • Uniform Colours for Most

39 23.78%
  • Uniform Colours

11 6.71%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: General Overview (OLD THREAD)

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: 1212 AD (New Thread)

If you're so concerned here about using what is basically free content in another free medium of entertainment then PM Gigantus and we'll get this resolved with him.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: a bit less personal, please

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    If you're so concerned here about using what is basically free content in another free medium of entertainment then PM Gigantus and we'll get this resolved with him.
    Just ignore him mate, you're doing some great work and i hate to see you get annoyed by him. This is going towards being one of the most awesome looking mods i'v seen, and it's all thanks to you when you started the medieval knights mod
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: continuity

Flikitos's Avatar Campidoctor

Yep warman, Mortarion is right, any doubt that he is just jealous of the colossal work you did for the TW: R2 modding!

Just to be on the safe side though, I'll try to be more careful with what I go with. It wouldn't hurt to do that. Thanks for the support guys.

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Guys, you will need permissions to use Mount and Blade stuffs or stuffs from M&B mods (or any other TW mods).
    Also you will need the same from model/texture creators.

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

pacco, of course we need permissions. noone released this mod, no one claimed the work of other modders to be his own, no one got or will get paid for this mod, we all do that out of passion. modders create mods and release mods for other people to enjoy. no modder does get paid and most modders still invest a lot of time, effort and yes, actually money, to buy software.
    Let's take my case: I asked for permission on the Rus XIII century mod page at the taleworlds forum. It was almost one month ago.
    I received no answer in return, unfortunately. As I said before, I did not automatically assume that their work is free to use , but if I would have waited till now without any answer, I could not have worked on these units at all.
    Even if these units were all open source, free to use for anyone, how do I know that the so called OSP models are not using anyone else' s work. I use these OSP models and textures only to get accused one day, that modder x recognized his work , be it part of a texture , one chainmail link, anything. I am not saying the OSP guys or anyone else used work form other people, it is a fact however, that I can never know.
    At the amount of time I have spent on shaping these models, getting them to the right size and shape, deleting faces and vertices to make it smaller in size for the game to run smoother, changing textures etc, I could have probably made these models myself, in the end, even though they would not have turned out as great as the models I have used, by far, but still.
    All I'm saying is that modders release their work because they are nice people and want to share. I told kuauik as well that I will not release any of my work to the public until I get his confirmation, but if I waited with all the units until I got confirmation none of these units would have seen the light of day.

Hey can you add The Principality of Antioch just as its in Kingdoms?? Thanks

Mount and Blade lawsuit will hit the headlines once this mod is released.

Thank you for your riveting insight on the matter riskymonk. Also for the record there are armor and horse packs that blatantly take vanilla Medieval 2 assets in some of the older OSP armor and horse packs and mods like War of the West use OSP Mount and Blade stuff too. I'm getting really annoyed with you people for your shameful double standards. In case you don't believe me on the that.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...c,38796.0.html

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...c,45833.0.html

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    ...about using what is basically free content in another free medium of entertainment then PM Gigantus and we'll get this resolved with him.
    It's very simple: if you use material not created by yourself then you will have to assure that the necessary permissions are obtained. If I get a substantiated claim (I am very allergic to spurious claims) about material being used without consent then I will follow up and it will be in the interest of the mod leader to have the permissions handy, eg PM exchanges (with contact address for verification if outside TWC), link to public statement regarding use of material, that kind of stuff.

There is no double standard involved with regards to the Taleworlds modifications: if they have indeed used material from the M2TW original game then it's up to CA to make that claim with Taleworlds, it has nothing to do how we handle the matter here. Here on TWC we will not permit the work of others to be used without consent.

So please ensure that you have permissions, even for stuff that you just use in screenshots. The 'he didn't answer so he silently agrees' claim isn't going to be entertained, so please don't use it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2014 at 06:11 AM.

And I know that. On my end I've bent over backwards to make sure that isn't the case. I will admit I got mixed up with Pino's work and if it will cool down the situlation I'll change it, but I can assure you that Narf, Dejawolf, Lucas work and almost every other thing I used is not using a Taleworlds vanilla model. Unless I get corrected on that too. Now I'm also trying to get permission from 1257 AD's work. That being said I'm trying to work with Ltd. to find other sources to work with that won't cause problems in the permission department. I'm sorry for the hostility, it was wrong on my part.

EDIT:

What's the difference between the two types of claims?
    Last edited by warman222; July 09, 2014 at 06:11 AM.

Blog Entries

No problem, the permission issue can be sticky. That's what I am here for, if in doubt contact me.

Edit:

spurious - without (sufficient) supporting material as to the validity of the claim, or with possibly malicious intent
    substantiated - an apparent valid claim supported by sufficient information and material to warrant an investigation
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2014 at 06:17 AM.

Okay, while you're here, I think what threw me off from Pino was these two statements that might contradict each other.

"I's only textures work because I do not master modelling."

"Feel free too to use those packs in your games or mods. "

So is the texture work enough to avoid these issues? Here's the thread.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,167389.0.html

Blog Entries

Looks straight forward - it's a texture pack declared 'free to use' without restriction as to which game to use them in. You are free to use the textures on any (permitted) model you choose, any models included in the pack will require a separate permission.
    Would be a nice touch to actually link his work\thread in the credits even though it's not required, publicity of their work is what keeps modders going. Maybe even post a thank you there with a link to your mod here.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2014 at 07:26 AM.

We might have an issue here. Pino hasn't been online since last year. I'll try PMing him but if that doesn't get through what action should I take?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Gigantus, what you are saying is absolutely correct, no doubt about that.
    However to be on the safe side here I would like to ask you what are the regulations concerning the following: if you browse back to my post, #114 in this very thread, you will see my link ( http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.p...,305732.0.html ) to the rus XIII century mod for M&B where I made a request for permission to use assets from that mod in this one. As it appears, but please, anyone, correct me if I´m wrong, the mod seems to be somewhat deserted / dead, you name it.
    Unfortunately it has been almost one month and the creators of that mod did neither confirm nor deny permission to use their work, yet.
    How is one to got about this mod? If I don´t get explicit permission from them, even if the mod seems dead, and if we are unlucky enough and they can / will never give permission becasue they will never see my request, it means I will not be able to use their work at all?
    Last edited by Ltd.; July 09, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Pino, no further permission is needed for the textures:
    I's only textures work because I do not master modelling.
    Feel free too to use those packs in your games or mods. No credits required.
    rusXIII, apparent dead mod:
    Following the advice of the rather cavalier member there isn't something it would recommend. The way it is handled here would be via administration as they may have information regarding the permission policy for the mod or other contact info. Unless you have explicit permission you should not use material from third persons - it has a weird way of coming back and bite you in the butt when you least expect it. Nothing worse then having to pull a mod and rework it after a full release.

I am busy reviving and updating the mod registry to avoid cases just like this.

Gigantus I was referring to the models but you answered my question above.

Blog Entries

The models are obviously not his, so it's unlikely that he can give permissions for it.

Miles

Hey everyone,

Warman and I have discussed the models that cannot remain in the mod and should be replaced with new custom made models. Therefore I will be making those models from scratch, allowing warman to use the current textures on them and getting them in the game. In case people fear that the quality will lower, fear not. I have plenty of 3D experience and have also made the trebuchet for this mod. Now, I hope we can now finally put this discussion to rest, so that this mod can be safely released and enjoyed by many
    Last edited by GrudgeNL; July 09, 2014 at 09:41 AM.