View Poll Results: Uniform Colors or Mixed?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed Colours

50 30.49%
  • Mixed Colours for Most

64 39.02%
  • Uniform Colours for Most

39 23.78%
  • Uniform Colours

11 6.71%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: General Overview (OLD THREAD)

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: 1212 AD (New Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarion View Post
    How come England dosn't have any negative effect but only positive stuff?
    England has +50% Resistance to Conquest. i.e., when England captures a settlement, there is 50% MORE resistance to their rule than with other factions.

I am almost done with the unit revamps, pretty much still on schedule. I just need to add the revamped assets to the Zweihander unit. I have a lot of pictures to show today. First off a screen shot of the trebuchets from yesterday.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Obviously that's still a WIP. Now I have a bunch of screenshots showing all the updated soldiers done for both France and the Holy Roman Empire. The units shown here are in this order: Imperial Soldiers, Imperial Cavalry, Men at Arms, Volugier. Also try and see how many minor kingdoms and duchies you can spot on the soldiers. Whoever guesses the most with get a rep! It's around 29 in total!

Now some screenshots of these units plus some knights fighting it out!

Credits goes to Narf, Dejawolf, paleogios, pino, luca, Lord_Calidor, GrudgeNL and possibly others from the OSP taleworlds forum.
    Last edited by warman222; July 01, 2014 at 11:37 AM.

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

Bloody hell this looks good.

Well done, Warman! And challenge accepted! I see:

On the Imperial Soldiers:

Hanover- (White horse on red field)
    Mecklenburg- (Crowned Black Bull's head on Yellow field)
    Brandenburg -(Red eagle on white field)
    Bohemia- (White Crowned Lion Rampant on Red Field
    Mainz- (White wheel on red field)
    Bavaria- (Blue and White diagonal diamonds)
    Saxony- (Red Crown over black and yellow bars)
    Wurttemberg- (three black antlers on yellow field)
    Brabant- (Yellow Lion Rampant on Black field)
    The Palatinate- (Quartered arms of Bavaria and Brabant)
    Luxembourg- (Crowned red lion rampant on blue and white bars)
    Swabia- (three black lions on a yellow field)
    Thuringia- (Checkered crowned eagle on blue field)
    Bremen- (White Key on a blue field)

On the French soldiers:

Toulouse- (Pointed yellow outline of a cross on a red field)
    Brittany- (Small Black flower-like designs on a white field)
    Dauphin- (Blue Dolphin on a yellow field)
    Flanders- (Black Lion Rampant on a yellow field)
    Foix- (Orange and Yellow bars similar to Aragon)

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Very impressive man! You definitely get a rep for getting that many.

EDIT:

I have to give massive credit to the site Wappenwiki a massive database of coats of arms for EVERY part of europe and it's associated kingdoms during the middle ages. As such it is very easy for me to find proper coats of arms for minor kingdoms and nobles alike! For instance I now have enough coats of arms for the Italian knights and the minor kingdoms stuff.

Here's the link:

http://wappenwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
    Last edited by warman222; July 01, 2014 at 12:36 PM.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

What animations do the Voulge-men have? I think the Parthian archers has a two handed spear as a secondary weapons with some sweet animations.
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

I think you should make unit cards like original unit cards just looks like medieval units...its would looks nice

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
    What animations do the Voulge-men have? I think the Parthian archers has a two handed spear as a secondary weapons with some sweet animations.
    If everything goes according to plan, just like the trebuchet, they'll get (some) custom animations.
    Last edited by GrudgeNL; July 02, 2014 at 04:56 AM.

Yeah, but right now they're using the Rome_man_spear animations, so are the billmen.

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by GideonAI View Post
    England has +50% Resistance to Conquest. i.e., when England captures a settlement, there is 50% MORE resistance to their rule than with other factions.
    Oh ok, my mistake then. I was thinking the enemy would have +50% resistance when they took a English settlement.

So I am taking a breather for the next couple of days from new modding work so I don't get a burnout. I'm thinking about making a big compilation video showing parts of various factions fighting each other or alternatively another batch of short videos like a couple of weeks ago. Meanwhile I tested out something animation wise. I took all the death and kill animations from the spear/shield animations and combined them to add some variety to animations of the billmen. The result was very interesting. The mostly used the 2 hand spear animations for infantry combat with some exceptions but now they fight cavalry with the added spear/shield animations which looks much better. You can't even tell that those were meant to be with a shield. Now I'm thinking about adjusting it for the voulge unit because their polearms are longer. I'm considering taking animations from the pikemen and combining it with the 2 handed spear animation.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Yeah, take a break man, you have done a lot.

I was just assembling today a preliminary varangian guard unit, which is actually to some extent ready when I realised there is no empire to field them, since we now have the latin empire, which leads me to the question: what units did they field ? Lord giovanni mentioned some concepts in a previous post, but I would like to know what units specifically the latin empire fielded.
    I already imported lots of byzantine armour and helmets for cavalry and infantry and was wondering if any of it can be of use.
    So practically we have no roman empire and no successor states in our mod, right?

cant the remnants of trebizond and nicaea confederate into the roman empire?

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

if we had an Empire of Nicaea and an Empire of Trebizond they could confederate, I guess, but they would not need to, they could still field byzantine units on their own

calgacus_1314's Avatar Foederatus

How soon do you reckon you can get this out as a painfully unfinished alpha beta alpha type thing? Y'know even if the menus are still all rome II and the factions just so we can have a shot at trying out some of the units ourselves. Its actually hell watching this mod, i just want to play it so bad - and this is coming from a guy who has been clawing his eyes out for 2 years reading the dev blog for mount and blade bannerlord!

Historically, the Latin Empire only survived for about 60 years before it was overrun by the Byzantine states and Bulgaria. In a shortsighted move, the crusaders abolished the Byzantine bureaucracy at the outset of the Latin Empire, and so the raising of any army among the local population was a problem for them. They were quite dependent on the arrival of new crusading knights from Latin Europe, and on Italian militias from the communes that were set up throughout Greece. The lack of efficient organization in terms of the Greeks in the realm, coupled with the fact that the Franks and Italians did not trust the Greeks, meant that armies of Latin Empire did not incorporate very many of them. Therefore, at least historically, their armies looked something like the armies of Sicily, only without a robust population of Franks and Italians to support it. Without the means to field a large army, it was only a matter of time before the Latin Empire was overrun by the enemies that surrounded it on all sides.

With such a short actual lifespan of the Latin Empire, this actually provides us with a great deal options for how the army of the Latin Empire would have looked had the Empire proven more robust. The Cataphract Knights and Greek auxiliaries would have been interesting ideas for the Latin Imperial army to incorporate the ideas of Byzantium. This did indeed happen with the Kingdom of Jerusalem following the First Crusade. Therefore, given enough time, and with increased trust in the Greeks as conversion efforts proceeded, I can certainly see the Latin Imperial army being a fusion of Byzantine and Frankish styles.

EDIT: This is to the best of my knowledge. Here is a link to a book that deals with overall history of the Latin Empire in greater detail (though I'm not sure about what it says about army composition)

http://books.google.com/books?id=5Uz...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by Lord Giovanni; July 02, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

@ calgacus: I´m glad there is interest in this mod, but at this point, unfortunately there is no telling when this mod will be in a state that it can be played, even if only certain elements of it. If it was for me I would like to work on the mod for a longer period of time with frequent updates , meaning screenies, videos, etc, so that a somewhat finished product emerges, since so much work and time has been poured into it already, and so much more to come... I mentioned a few posts earlier what are the major things to be done, and this is only scratching the surface as with all major overhauls.
    I don´t think many people would want to play R2 with only units being changed ( though that is no small endeavor by itself, either).

But I am not to decide alone, so time will tell how and in what form you, the fans , will see or experience 1st hand our progress...
    On the other hand I wouldn´t want to be sitting on this mod for years either, and I am largely considered a fairly patient person...
    Also it depends whether CA release a campaign map editor or any other tools, or open up other options with future dlc´s or patches to work on.

@ Lord Giovanni: thank you for the info. I was wondering whether we could actually add the Empire of Nicaea and/or the Empire of Trebizond to the factions list, because then I believe I could add those byzantine units I had in mind, since these two were the empires where the defeated romans took refuge and as such probably had the same army composition as the armies of the byzantines.

Guys having a "Caliphate of Baghdad" and an Abbasid faction does not make sense. There should be the Fatimid faction (in Egypt), and the Abbasid Caliphate (in Baghdad). Having both Caliphate in Baghdad AND an Abbasid faction contradicts itself.

EDIT: Also the Abbasids are not a Sultanate, but a Caliphate.
    Last edited by PurpleScotch; July 02, 2014 at 07:27 PM.

@ Ltd.: I was planning on including at least the Empire of Nicaea, which along with Bulgaria was the primary faction which destroyed the Latin Empire. You're absolutely right that those regions would have still utilized a Byzantine-style army. The one concern that I would have for the Despotate of Epirus or the Empire of Trebizond would be any differentiation in unit composition.

We could potentially use something akin to the auxiliary barracks for that. For example, Nicaea would be the only faction able to recruit the heaviest cavalry, Epirus could make use of more Latin-style units (think Latinkon from Medieval II), and Trebizond can produce increasingly more elite Trebizond Archers. A player playing a different Byzantine successor state could only build those units with an auxiliary barracks in that successor state's home province. But then, it would be silly for a restored Byzantine Empire (not restored by Nicaea) to have to recruit their best cataphracts from the Asia province alone. Perhaps we could give a confederated Byzantine Empire a new unit list that would incorporate all of the unique units of the successor states?

If, however, we only made Nicaea playable, then all this would be a moot point, as we could give them all the unique units that we could come up with for Trebizond or Epirus anyway. As you seem to be in charge for putting together the Byzantine units (thank you, and a +rep for it!), I'll leave that decision in your hands.

This actually brings up another potential problem: Moving the capital. If one of the Byzantine successor states were to knock out the Latin Empire, it is entirely understandable that they would want to move their capital once more to Constantinople. As far as I know, Rome II does not have a move capital mechanic. Would we be able to insert one, or would it be hardcoded against us?
    Last edited by Lord Giovanni; July 02, 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Lord Giovanni, thank you. I would like to add at least the Emp. of Nicaea as successor state, having the same units, as you also suggested, as the "main" romans would have had, with Oikeioi as Bodyguard cavalry, with heaviest of armour and best weapons available, but I thought I could add the Varangian as bodyguard units as well, since there is this function in R2 to have several kinds of bodyguards and since they were the emperor´s main guard, that would be proper. Please correct me if I´m wrong.
    There is no unique faction leader figure in R2, which means all generals could have this unit as their retinue, but since you can set a campaign limit, I can imagine them having a campaign limit of 1 in an army so that should work out.

Furthermore other byzantine units would be a heavy spear unit, the kontaratoi with large shields, mail and / or lamellar armour, sword as secondary on their side ( although only displayed as secondary, unfortunately, cause there is no option to have a secondary melee weapon and use it too, iirc) ; also some light spear-equipped militia melee infantry, and light militia missile infantry , called the peltasts with some kind of axe and javelins, but somewhat able in melee as well.

Then a proper light missile infantry, the psiloi , probably as javelin units, though they used bows as well afaik. well, remains to be seen.
    Maybe also a heavy elite dismounted archer for later periods, possibly as AOR in the Trebizond area only.

Then as cavalry maybe a light lancer unit, armed properly maybe with lances and maces, but not too armoured
    Then a heavy cavalry, pronoiaroi or kataphractoi
    Then a HA unit. I read about the vardariotai, of magyar origin, maybe also as Bodyguard unit
    Then we´d have the mercenaries, but that remains to be seen.

Regarding the capital: there is no capital per se in R2 so there is no real need to move the capital, thought it would be nice to have this feature again, with Pergamon and Nicomedia regions (possibly Trapezos region as well) added to the Greek successor states. I believe it would be better like this, than having Nicaea and Trebizond as separate factions only to make them confederate with the same result.

So what do you think?

Edit: here is quick regions overview for R2 to make a clear picture: http://www.pictureshack.us/images/27964_LargeMap003.jpg
    Last edited by Ltd.; July 03, 2014 at 01:47 AM.