View Poll Results: Uniform Colors or Mixed?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mixed Colours

50 30.49%
  • Mixed Colours for Most

64 39.02%
  • Uniform Colours for Most

39 23.78%
  • Uniform Colours

11 6.71%
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: General Overview (OLD THREAD)

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: 1212 AD (New Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by KUAUIK View Post
    i mean that this is ,castellan is governor of the castle,its not military title,its like the bohemian roster posted above,pure fantasy
    So, instead of making a worthwhile contribution and engaging in dialogue by raising this concern and hoping to address it by perhaps suggesting a better alternative, you instead make a snide comment (the tenth on this site) and set up a situation by which you can have a dig?

You don't like it, don't contribute.

i mean that this is ,castellan is governor of the castle,its not military title,its like the bohemian roster posted above,pure fantasy
    The medieval term "Castellanus" also applied to the occupants of a castle, not just the governors. The inference, therefore, is that Castellans are the retainers of castle lords. It would be a little bit odd to call field regiments of spearmen "Castle Guards", wouldn't it?

And since when was changing the use of an actual historical unit for gameplay purposes pure fantasy? Historically, knights weren't recruited into regiments, they were mustered for only a set period and fought as retainers to their lords. So, under your logic, regiments of knights are also pure fantasy, even though the regiment is the basic unit of a Total War game. If you want a more historically accurate medieval game, then Total War is not your genre. Go play Crusader Kings II to satisfy your exacting standards.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

this looks awesome! can't wait to see development

Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Giovanni View Post
    The medieval term "Castellanus" also applied to the occupants of a castle, not just the governors. The inference, therefore, is that Castellans are the retainers of castle lords. It would be a little bit odd to call field regiments of spearmen "Castle Guards", wouldn't it?

And since when was changing the use of an actual historical unit for gameplay purposes pure fantasy? Historically, knights weren't recruited into regiments, they were mustered for only a set period and fought as retainers to their lords. So, under your logic, regiments of knights are also pure fantasy, even though the regiment is the basic unit of a Total War game. If you want a more historically accurate medieval game, then Total War is not your genre. Go play Crusader Kings II to satisfy your exacting standards.
    Well said!

well,when i gave you permission for 1257ad,i said that you should research the time period ,because i hoped that your mod could be first mod that actualy depict medieval warfare right,yet you come with stuff like "morningstar wielder unit" and bohemian roster that is totaly off .Castellan ,i say it again ,is not a military titel and there was no "regiments of knights" Knights were not so numerous that they could form a regiment,which is not a term from this time frame also.Knight was actualy usually owner of the castle that keep his retinue ,that was consisted of few knights and sargeants and mostly local pesantery...i could go on and on,but this community here is famous for flaming and torching

Jezza93's Avatar Centenarius

I believe Conrois would be the primary term to describe a unit of mounted heavy cavalry.

well,when i gave you permission for 1257ad,i said that you should research the time period ,because i hoped that your mod could be first mod that actualy depict medieval warfare right,yet you come with stuff like "morningstar wielder unit" and bohemian roster that is totaly off .Castellan ,i say it again ,is not a military titel and there was no "regiments of knights" Knights were not so numerous that they could form a regiment,which is not a term from this time frame also.Knight was actualy usually owner of the castle that keep his retinue ,that was consisted of few knights and sargeants and mostly local pesantery...i could go on and on,but this community here is famous for flaming and torching
    You don't say.

Stívarđr Rogn - your arogant statement is exactly what i expected

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Guys, there is no need for this or any kind of hostiliy, verbal attacks and so on.
    Kuauik, I am, in fact the fans are, thankful for your generous gesture of sharing your work with us contributing to this mod.
    This mod is trying to be historically accurate as time, resources and the game limitations allow it.i however as a game it must follow some principles to be playable, enjoyable, if possible by all.
    I am not saying that any fantasy elements should be allowed, even if some ppl would want it, however a game is a game.
    Having said that, the game time spans over several centuries, so there will be plenty of time to develop weapons and armour for later centuries, so you will not see jousting lances and armour from later periods in 1212.
    If we were to be really historical a lot of the units should not even be present even in the most historical mods for previous games, but because of game limitations, decisions have to be made, like making 2-3 units for one historical unit because one unit can only wield two kinds of weapons, while historically most units were very versatile.
    So what I want to say is that even if you see units with later period gear in the preview it does not mean they will wear and use them from the very start. There are later units as well.
    In fact I like to do the elite units first and show them in the preview, but obviously they won' t be available fro the start.
    I plan to make a large update on the nicaeans this week, hopefull tomorrow with several units, thou most will not be available for the start.
    You will understand however that noone likes his work be called names just because it does not correspond with other ppl's ideas.
    You are very welcome here on these forums and hopefully we can make is mod as historical and also fun as possible. Trust me, I do and the whole team does strive for accuracy.
    Last edited by Ltd.; July 28, 2014 at 09:44 AM.

Stívarđr Rogn - your arogant statement is exactly what i expected

Can I extend the olive branch first?

Sorry, long day and I've not had a lot of patience lately...

Lots of RL crap to deal with.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

does anyone know which table I' d have to edit to make pike units start with their pikes and not their secondary weapon. I know in DeI pike units do this, but which table(s) is required?

To anyone who has any questions about the veracity of my suggestions for the Bohemian roster, I would refer you to Osprey Publishing's "The Hussite Wars, 1419-1436". Almost all of my ideas (including the Morgensterners) came from that work, and like Ltd. said, I was adding the impression that most of the units listed on that roster wouldn't be available until later on in the game, since building levels are constrained by research.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Kuauik, while I see your points about accuracy, I have never said that this mod was going that far, especially since the Total War games work certain in ways that by nature aren't accurate. Hence the knights thing, etc,etc. Ltd. basically summed it up good. However the only person I've seen "flaming and torching" is you. You called my work because it wasn't accurate. That is flat out uncalled for and very snide.

EDIT:

I should of clarified something, I had intended for the first release to feature units that would be around the 1200s with some exceptions for variety such as the Zweihander unit. That's why I made the knights look like Feudal Knights and other choices like that.
    Last edited by warman222; July 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM.

Excited to play this! Keep up the good work!
    Intel 4690k GTX 760 8GB Asrock Fatality Z97

Yes, let's return to the business of the mod and have a fair, balanced and constructive discussion.

Onwards!!!

Agreed. I meant to post this sooner. Here's the Sergeants unit for the English. It's a slightly weaker version of the French Men at Arms unit.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I again offer my beta test services to test anything you want

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Do you have any kind of campaign stuff done yet? Anyone on your team doing that kind of stuff? If not I'd might be able to render assistance in some way I'm sure. This is one of the most quality, and more importantly a mod doing a conversion rather than a overhaul for Rome 2, so I'd like to see it successful!

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

.Mitch, as far as I know not much campaign stuff has been done yet. The first form of release will be a custom battle only, to chew on the units, play around with them, test them, find issues etc. , so your help would be most welcome, in any form, especcially campaign stuff to speed thing up.
    Most important would be creating the factions, cultures, buildings, etc. but I´m sure warman and Lord Giovanni can tell you things in more detail.

Yeah we don't really have anyone doing the campaign work, largely because I have little to zero knowledge of campaign modding and haven't played a lot of campaign games to investigate the potential. So I'm playing to my strengths for as long as I can hence the custom battle release.

I'm currently working on a spear unit for the French called the Pavisiers. Basically a spearmen unit equipped with pavise shields. This will transition into the Ghibelline spearmen which has similar equipment for HRE and then back to the Italians finally. By the way, I had an idea for Pavise wielding units. Could we use the dismount mechanic from cavalry units to have an option for the Pavisiers to deploy their shields like a barricade? We would need a new animation for it of course but is that possible?