Page 9 of 291 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    Hmm.

Personally I thought the best clone wars by far (visually and storytelling) was the very first arc of twenty or so 2-3 minute shorts which seemed to use old school cel animation rather than CGI.
    You mean the first Series that came out? that is a diferent series alltogether but sure. Yeah i liked it, but it isnt everyone cup of tea, it had a lot of silly stuff.
    Not to mention as cell animation goes, it was rather crappy as well. By its standards of the time anyway.
    Or its just me that im spoiled by japanese cell animation... there were much better stuff made in the late 80s and 90s then that show.
    Regardless its not fair to compare cell animation with 3D. I was speaking of Star wars the clone wars that came in 2008 not the one in 2005.
    Otherwise that would not serve the point i was making considering rebels.

the animated series certainly did Grievous more justice
    It certainely did.

I have been reading though and i think that series is no longer canon. Only the six films so far and the 2008 animated film and series. And now Rebels.
    Honestly That cell animated TV show, had alot of hard pills to swalow, even if i enjoyed the tone of it.

Besides the Season 2 of clone impressed me alot with its animation later on, in specific the geonosis arch invasion, i think was the turning point in the series, it realy made the series so much better animation wise.
    The second battle of geonosis in season 2 is quite remeniscent of Normandy invasion in a way.
    Ignore the German ( or not is your language).. allthough is kinda a funny but take notice of the animation.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 15, 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Honestly that 2001 cartoon network show was sooooooooo much better than the animated ones. Made by the guy who did Samurai Jack, and that one is epic! (and this comes from a guy who HATES anime and manga)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Ich can nicht sprachte sie Deutsch.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Honestly that 2001 cartoon network show was sooooooooo much better than the animated ones. Made by the guy who did Samurai Jack, and that one is epic! (and this comes from a guy who HATES anime and manga)
    Samurai jack? there are 1000 things better in anime and manga alone, that you so hate. but ok.

The star wars 2001 cartoon is better in some areas. However The clone wars improved alot over time. Other than that it might be a matter of taste of the styles and designs.
    I specialy liked the gritty tone of the show at times. But overal it was very silly in alot of things, hard to take it serious, when you see jedi, flying, and killing droids with their fists... lol

BTW

Rumor storyline:
    those old rumors indicating that Darth Vader will appear in Episode VII resurfaced quite recently; the possible why and how behind his “return” – that’s been kept a mystery. Meanwhile, there’s also been talk over the past months about the film’s villains being “Jedi Hunters” – mercenaries who, naturally, have been hired to take down the Jedi – and who may be connected to The Inquisitor. The latter is voiced by Jason Isaacs featured in the upcoming canon animated show Star Wars Rebels (the first canon installment in Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm’s Star Wars universe, no less).
    The most plausible Episode VII storyline that has been reported so far has the film’s young protagonists (Daisy Ridley and John Boyega) undertaking a journey to find Jedi Master Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), who has been missing for many years by the time the movie begins. Latino Review is claiming to have insider knowledge of what happens when Ridley and Boyega (who’s rumored to be a stormtrooper when the movie begins) catch up with the older Luke:

• Luke reveals to Ridley and Boyega that the Inquisitors – who are indeed actively hunting down any Jedi Masters or Jedi-in-training when Episode VII takes place – are very much connected to the Sith.
    • This prompts a flashback, showing Darth Vader recruiting the very first Inquisitors. That sequence could also (somehow) incorporate a very young Leia, who rumor has it will be played by Carrie Fisher’s biological daughter Billie Lourd.
    • At some point, Boyega’s former boss/commanding officer (Gwendoline Christie) catches up to the young heroes and reveals her own connection to the Force – possibly being a member of the Inquisitor organization, whose ranks may also include the characters played by Lupita Nyong’o and Adam Driver.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 15, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

The 2001 animated series was complete style-over-everything trash. For anyone that like even a minuscule of realism it was downright awful nonsensical mess with no story, just things going boom with no sense behind it. And the connection to anything else in starwars was nil.

Grevious was misrepresented yeah.. in the 2001 series, like everything else there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    the animated series certainly did Grievous more justice
    5:02 has to be one of my favorite moments ever.

The joys of double posts.
    Last edited by DarthShizNit; August 15, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

I never thought I would say this but Grievous can be freakin' badass ! Cartoons and movies need more villains like that!

Patrician

I disagree Pasan, Grievous was one of the characters in the new series and the movie. The old cartoon made Grievous so much cooler.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I disagree Pasan, Grievous was one of the characters in the new series and the movie. The old cartoon made Grievous so much cooler.
    It has its moments. It wasnt just as ominous.
    And often it came as a coward... the oposite of a "bad Ass"
    This being a cleary example of that:

On the oposite side of the coin ventress was a far more interesting character, as the show progressed.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

whenever i've seen the CGI clone wars interpretation of Grievous, he reminded me of team rocket from pokemon
    equally weak, stupid and failing every episode, the only thing missing is that he flies in the air and says 'Grievous is blasting off again'
    One way to destroy a interesting concept for a menacing villain.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Patrician

Ventress certainly was better. Grievous' cowardly nature came to naught, for he did not use that cautious and cowardly approach for a greater strategy. Unlike the old cartoon where he was basically a stealth ninja bad ass with clear cut tactics. In the new show he's basically a Soviet general, a dumb buffoon who charges in wastes his own army and falls into the trap more often than not. I think one of the most positive examples from this newer one was the Grievous lair episode where he at least seemed to show those positive qualities and some competence.

One of the absolute coolest characters was Admiral Trench, he was a ing boss. A hero among generals, a master strategist a tricky mother er I wouldn't come within 700 yards unless I had a 3 to 1 superiority.
    And those were the moments that felt really good about the new Clone Wars, the war aspect was the best part. Generals fought it out with their expert strategies and soldiers were soldiers damn it! And that's what the show needed more of.

I think the problem with Grievous was that he wasn't given an interesting backstory, and was presented as rather one dimensional in the films and the CGI.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

You guys beat me to it; I was going to post that exact video. I loved that show (and the fully healthy Grievous) so much.

Nuff said

One of the absolute coolest characters was Admiral Trench, he was a ing boss. A hero among generals, a master strategist a tricky mother er I wouldn't come within 700 yards unless I had a 3 to 1 superiority.
    And those were the moments that felt really good about the new Clone Wars, the war aspect was the best part. Generals fought it out with their expert strategies and soldiers were soldiers damn it! And that's what the show needed more of.
    The episode where Anakin is trying to deliver relieve aid to a planet surface and has to content with Trench blockade is one of my favorites.
    Very reminiscent of old Submarine movies to be honest.
    It showed The best of all characters, either what Anakin is suposed to be and what vilains should be. They dont need fancy tricks and put a flashy show to be a proper intimidating antagonist.
    I recall the Neimoidian fleet commander in the Blockade of Ryloth made for a very interesting adversary in that space battle as well.
    The clone wars has no doubt some gems in there.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 16, 2014 at 04:10 AM.

Patrician

General Loathsome was the worst general ever (Loathsome and Grievous ) I haven't seen commanders that incompetent since the Soviet Intervention in Afghanistan.
    Obi-wan appears to be a military genius but maybe I'm reading too far into it.

You know I don't remember the Ryloth space battle. I'm gonna go check it out right now. *Netflix*

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

Clone Wars is not my cup of tea, it is far too childish and lacks the charme of much better animations for kids, and Star Wars Rebels too seems like a cheap cash-in with a Aladdin ripoff as hero..

I wished the clone wars multimedia project had resulted in a Star Wars series with real actors (much like Star Trek or Stargate), that would have been epic.

I haven't seen commanders that incompetent since the Soviet Intervention in Afghanistan.
    I think their performance in the Chechen War was much worse, sending state-of-the-art armor into urban combat with inexperienced crews and no infantry support...
    Last edited by Mayer; August 16, 2014 at 08:16 PM.
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    Clone Wars is not my cup of tea, it is far too childish and lacks the charme of much better animations for kids, and Star Wars Rebels too seems like a cheap cash-in with a Aladdin ripoff as hero..

I wished the clone wars multimedia project had resulted in a Star Wars series with real actors (much like Star Trek or Stargate), that would have been epic.
    Star Wars in general is sci-fi for kids basically. I really enjoyed the series when I was younger but as I grew up it just didn't hold the same interest to me. I mean I still love Empire and Return of the Jedi, but yeah the franchise as a whole is mainly geared toward younglings.

I think their performance in the Chechen War was much worse, sending state-of-the-art armor into urban combat with inexperienced crews and no infantry support...
    That was the First Chechen War more than the second. They did a bit of a better job in round two lol.

General Loathsome was the worst general ever (Loathsome and Grievous ) I haven't seen commanders that incompetent since the Soviet Intervention in Afghanistan.
    Obi-wan appears to be a military genius but maybe I'm reading too far into it.

You know I don't remember the Ryloth space battle. I'm gonna go check it out right now. *Netflix*
    If im not mistaken is when Asoka turns the back of her crusers to the enemy in order to avoid stressing its shields.

Aladin? i cant say i see the connection entirely. Is it because he is darked skined and has colourfull hair? Aladin had dark hair though. Where is the princess and the Genie? lol Assuming Erza is the main character though.. im not sure that he is, 100% main character i mean.

The clone wars as naturaly stuff geared twards kids, and as other stuff with a more mature dynamic in it. Pretty much like any other Star Wars Movies.
    Tend to disagree with that, for several reasons. First because Star wars is more akin to Fantasy in space then Scy-fy, so diferent things, second, i dont see how it could work, when Star wars needs a certain epic, and a certain scale, very akin to a Space Opera.
    Unless you want to go Game of thrones route where you show very litle.
    As star wars goes i dont see the apeal in that to be honest.
    Unless the TV Show would be high end animation like this, that i would totaly buy it.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Star Wars in general is sci-fi for kids basically. I really enjoyed the series when I was younger but as I grew up it just didn't hold the same interest to me. I mean I still love Empire and Return of the Jedi, but yeah the franchise as a whole is mainly geared toward younglings.
    Hum i think over time lucas transformed it in order to be more geared towards children, but i cant say the nature of it is realy childrens only midium. The better word would be family friendly since it does contain elements that are no doubt adult themes. The character dynamics, the underlining theme of galatic organization and political issues. Then in the prequels are agravated with the whole far fetched Senate scenes, and the failings of democracy etc. Cant say Star wars is a Title that is geared towards children only.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 16, 2014 at 10:49 PM.