Page 7 of 291 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

For the prequels, you tend to watch the battles and the backgrounds, not the drama, such as it is.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I can still watch all of the originals and Empire Strikes Back is still number one!
    Some people complain that New Hope is too slow but even if that is the case the ending makes up for it with the awesome space battle.
    Return of the Jedi also makes up for its killer teddy bears with the awesome Death Star battle and the giant space battle.

Just a show of hands but who actually thinks Attack of the Clones was better than Phantom Menace?
    Personally I thought that Attack of the Clones was one of the worst movies ever. Not only was it bad and boring as but the fighting was certainly a step down. Most boring fights evar.
    I find all the prequels lightsaber duels boring. The maul one was decent for what it is (mostly because of the score) and for the lack of dialogue was at least transpiring with emotion. Cant say the same for all the other lightsaber duels in the prequels.. Palpatine was great, but it was too campy for my taste, and samuel lee jackson, well it has some acting limitations, not to mention everything anakin is in, its pretty bad.
    Yeah i enjoy re-watching the original triology, the first star wars might be slow, but is also one of my favorites, and its not because the space battles at all, the major moments for me is the presentation of this chaotic dirty world, and the interaction between characters.
    I actualy like slow movies, depending on the context of course, im sucker of cinematographic photography, and photography in general.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'm still up for an Old Republic something. Be it Revan, Padawans killed by their masters, the Great Hyper Space War or Exar Kun.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm still up for an Old Republic something. Be it Revan, Padawans killed by their masters, the Great Hyper Space War or Exar Kun.
    It wont happen though.

Patrician

The truth hurts.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

But it's out there.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

It's funny how to this day one of the most badass moments in SW history is the second before the duel with Daurth Maul, the way he just stands there and is intimidating without a word. I mean he was ready to go on two jedi's and a bunch of solders without a second thought.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Maul has a certain confidence about him that is intimidating, it clearly shows that Ray Park is a proffesional martial artist. Something about the way he moves. I believe he was allowed to do a lot of his own choreography.

I do like how each of the four Sith in the movies are very different from each other.

Maul is very much a weapon. Skilled, fearless, ruthless and a skilled assasin. He could have been more but was not trained to be more. In a way he kind of embodies the Sith the most of all the movie Sith because he never was a jedi and does not have another identity like Palpatine.

Sidious is the puppeteer. You never know what he is thinking, what he is planning, what hidden powers he may have, etc. He represents more the scary unknown. Zero redeeming qualities makes him a bit less interesting to me though.

Vader is the ruthless commander. He knows very much how to rule through fear and seems very effective at this He knows which failing underlings to kill and who to let live. He truly commands with an iron fist.

Dooku is more the sophisticated leader. Charismatic, calm, not appearing to be too evil at all. To me he is actually the most interesting of the four, and I wish his role was bigger. Grievious was just dumb unneeded filler after all, was better to have just kept Dooku.

Grievious was no sith.

Lore wise cant say everything you said is 100% acurate.

Grievious is no sith indeed. Hes also no descent villain to replace Dooku.

And I am sure the kiddy cartoon and all kinds of EU stuff written by fanboys says a lot of stuff about various characters. But I am speaking of strictly the movies here.

Considering this characters are much more interesting outside of the films, either on kiddy cartoons, or in "fanboy" EU, that says alot, regardless you cant make that distinction, they are part of a larger universe like it or not.

Still, movie wise the vilains in star wars are all weak, and not very well explored.
    Original triology is exception, as the character dynamics were actualy existent, and Made Vader one of the best vilains of all time, in pop culture.
    In fact i think this is one of the prequels major faults, it never had a strong antagonist, with depth, and clear motivations, or a strong dynamic between characters. We understand palpatine role surely, and its one of a passive adversary, as it was in the OT.
    But it needed a much more fleshed out dooku. Maul was simply a waste of time when you look at it, and dooku wasnt explored enough, it made me not care at all his death at the hands of Anakin.
    I bet to this day there is alot of people asking what are the sith, why they want revenge ( besides the obvious cliche bad guys thing) and how, and why they are "related" with the jedi somehow.

I think they wasted an oportunity to focus on dooku ( if that was the vilain they wanted to go with), and explore his breaking up with the jedi order, his conflicted nature, his personal conflicts with the characters in the film. Bet on characterization, on something the audience could easy relate over the triology, and that could culminate into something great at the end. Instead its all very generic and superficial.

Thank god there is the continuity to give us exactly that, or the best they can do with what they have anyhow.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 09, 2014 at 10:14 AM.

Even Vader was kind of lame, I mean he barely beats Luke in their first encounter although he's WAAAYYY more experienced, and in the later fight Luke just owns him, he just stands there holds the sword and shakes like a .

I like villains with character but I want the "upper tier" villains to be competent damn it.

Boba Fett and Jaba are also utter failures, and I don't understand they reputation on internet, they get killed so easily almost cartoon like.

Basically there is no descent villain in SW movies except Palpatine for me.

Honorable mentions to Dooku and Maul.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I liked Dokou in the Clone Wars series, but in the movies he had seriously no screen time whatsoever. Same with Maul really, in Clone Wars he's epic.

Even Vader was kind of lame, I mean he barely beats Luke in their first encounter although he's WAAAYYY more experienced
    Well he didnt wanted to kill him, but to catch him. Im pretty sure he was playing with him the whole time. When he finaly got serious he chop his own son hand, even then i belive he was only trying to turn him. Regardless his presence, his posture, his character relantionship with those arround, and with the main characters its what made Vader Great.
    Its basicaly an Icon of Modern Pop culture.

I liked Dokou in the Clone Wars series, but in the movies he had seriously no screen time whatsoever. Same with Maul really, in Clone Wars he's epic.
    Yeah he realy doesnt have much screen time, or development as a character in the movies.
    For reference and for kicks and Geeks
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 09, 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Patrician

Yeah, Vader was playing with Luke the whole time. Maybe trying to get him to release some anger. I mean the part where Vader flings objects with his mind is pretty much the part where you realize that Vader could straight up murder him at any moment.

More could indeed have been done with Maul and Dooku yes.. I mean I am fine with Maul dying in the first movie but it could have been handled better. Like you know.. actually trying to hit Obi-wan when he jumps out of the pit instead of just waiting to be cut in half.

If they had Dooku as a jedi in the first movie and showed his discontent with various decisions, perhaps even showing him leaving the council, it would have been a great prelude for things to come. And his role should have been bigger, but they just wasted a lot of time on a poorly written romance and Obi-Wan's search for Kamino. Instead, there could have been some scenes from Dooku's perspective, just like there used to be in the old movies for the imperial side.

A 3 minute short of Rebels has been released, quite reminiscent of Episode IV.
    It has a similar vibe and energy to A New Hope, even the use of classic Star Wars music, well at least it speaks to nostalgia.

Hum there is also a preview:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I find the visuals of Clone Wars Better though.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; August 12, 2014 at 05:10 PM.

Patrician

I don't really like the CGI it looks kind of polished and weird. Like the overused CGI in Attack of the Clones.

How do they understand anything the Astrobot says?

Patrician

Good question, how does Han understand Chewie?