Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

If it had more Grand Admiral Thrawn and he actually managed to pull off an epic scheme then it would have been as good in my opinion. The Bendu didn't give us any massive revelations either. Otherwise this was just the set up for the season. Meaning that it was alright.

By the way is governor Price a new character? Maybe based off another character from the EU. The character or at least the concept seems familiar.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I think Price is probably based off Daala. And yes she is new.

And this opener was clearly a setup for the whole season. Not as strong, but good. Ezra was pretty dark in some parts. Hoping that new Imperial Captain that keeps popping up is Pellaeon.

Patrician

The incompetent blonde guy?

LMAO how governor Price is clearly based off Kate Blanchett's character from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

No not the incompetent blond guy. There's an unnamed captain with brown hair that's in some of the scenes (like the "face to face with Thrawn" clip they released as a promo).

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Thought the episode was pretty good. Ezra going dark is just what they need to spice up what has been a rather lackluster and inconsequential adventure romp about space alladin and his odd friends.

Wish they did not just hand away the sith holocron to the bendu so easy though, given how much trouble they went through to get it. Also its a bit odd since the thing clearly has a role to play still so ezra need to get it back somehow. Also the voice actor got one line in. Could have done more with that.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    No not the incompetent blond guy. There's an unnamed captain with brown hair that's in some of the scenes (like the "face to face with Thrawn" clip they released as a promo).
    oh that guy. I thought he was just a worthless NPC.

meh the Bendu will totally come back. At first I'm like wtf why did he just give him the holocron but it will probably be a plot point later.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The Bendu is the focus of this week's episode.

Im pretty Sure erza will get the sith Holocron back.
    In the trailers you did see him, and maul with it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes, these next few episodes are focusing on Maul, Kanan, Ezra, and the Bendu/Holocron. Thrawn is gonna be later in the season although certainly they are gonna build up to him.

Someone has to steal the plans for the Death Star, and blame the Bothans.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Patrician

Technically the Bothans stole the plans to the second Death Star. The first one was stolen by Kyle Katarn... though it is getting retconned by Rogue One.

This really looks like it is very early on in the Rebellion still if they are resorting to using stolen Imperial equipment and only some that was provided by Alderaan. Meaning the Rebellion has no armoury or manufacturing capabilities of any sort. Later on they will acquire the Mon Calamari production facilities to build those massive Star Cruisers that you see in Episode 6, together with Admiral Ackbar who was actually a pretty good admiral though he would get ing melted by Grand Admiral Thrawn. I wonder how Star Wars Rebels ties into Rogue One and how both of those tie into the Original Trilogy.

Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 27, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

Patrician

It is just so weird that Maul is still around. WTF is there for him to do? I mean other than become his own character apparently but in the story itself he sticks out like sore thumb.

He's Snoke!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Maul should have died in Episode 1 and stayed dead.

As for your depiction of the Mon Cal cruiser, I'm pretty sure that's the much later MC-90 Dauntless. The MC-80 and MC-80A/B are the same size as an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Patrician

You are probably right.
    I was specifically referring to the large variant. Though for some reason I assumed that they were all the same. By "massive Star Cruiser" I really just meant the regular Mon Calamari cruisers, which were pretty big, Imperial Star Destroyers are pretty big.

When will they revive Admiral Piett? I want him in episode 8.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; September 28, 2016 at 12:27 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Agreed that maul should have stayed dead, its pure fanservice that he was revived. One big reason why I dont care to watch the cartoon series. The cartoony style does not fit at all anyways so that already makes it look like its own universe.

I read that the original idea was actually to have Maul beheaded as he leans in to try and kill Obi-Wan with his saber, and Obi-Wan would have pulled Qui-Con's saber to him to behead him like that. But they thought it was too gruesome for the rating they where going for. This would have been so much better however since it wouldnt have made Maul look like an idiot who just lets someone jump over him and cut him in half without doing anything in return. He has reflexes of a force user and is in his prime!

Just another instance where they willingly weaken the movies to appeal to small children. Same with ewoks replacing wookies, Jar-Jar's existance, R2 doing all kinds of crazy new things he could not do in the original trilogy, droids talking with silly voices in episode 3, the dumb joke where C-3PO's head is misplaced, the poo jokes in episode 1, etc..

Can say what you want about the newest movie but at least it's not going out of its way to appeal to smal children.

I liked maul in The Clone war series. And in rebels as well. In the film there is nothing to like or dislike about him, besides his looks, and style, he has no substance. And such in the phantom menace, he is non interesting.

Just another instance where they willingly weaken the movies to appeal to small children.
    I actualy think it was the other way arround. As the clone wars is concerned, it did salvaged the mediocre Prequels. To the point where i did cared much more about the characters in the clone wars, then i did , in the movies.
    For one they are by far better written. Anakin for example is night and day. yes

ii think this cartoons are aimed at everybody to be honest. Just like the films.

And force awakens it has fanservice to the core. Hell it has characters that are only there to sell the toy of it. captain phasma for example. It is basicaly the samething. i would consider the droids liek R2 and C3PO to be aimed at children as well, or BB8.

I honestly i dont see how a remake can be very difefreent from the originals.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I really dont care who the cartoons are aimed at since I have no intention of ever watching that, I meant the movies. Sometimes they sadly make changes to appeal to children.

I wouldnt say that force awakens is kind of fan service in general, it kind of had to be to restore faith into the movies again. And in the general sense I dont think its wrong to do. It would have been bad though if they pushed old characters to the foreground and made them unstoppable, or if they brought back a popular but dead character. I think they really did the "passing the torch" part extremely well, considering how that pretty much always fails in movies that do that.
    Droids are indeed appealing to children, though the difference is that in the original trilogy and the new movie is that they are not annoying to most adults. Children can get subtleties too, to some degree. Not everything has to be in their face and obvious.

Personally I really do like C-3PO a lot actually. His fussy ways are a wonderfull contrast to other more heroic characters, and outside of the prequels he is very funny to people of all ages. Never liked R2 much though, never understood the hype. He tends to just be a jerk who sticks his dick in every computer he can find. BB-8 was actually surprisingly nice to me, I figured it would be some overly present droid to please kids but they gave him just the right amount of screentime and a nice personality. Such a great moment when he gives Finn a thumb's up in his own way.

Of course toys will be sold, that has been that way since the first movies actually. Captain Phasma was indeed quite wasted and everyone agrees on that. But the stores are filled with characters from the other six movies that had even smaller parts. Like pretty much all jedi masters on the council for example. They just sit there while only three jedi masters ever got to say anything. Chancellor Valorum didnt have much of a role either. And in the Original Trilogy Boba Fett is pretty infamous for his pathedic death, only thing he ever accomplished was tracking down Han Solo. Yet he is a very popular toy figure. I mean he got killed off by a blind man who defeated him without even realising it.
    Emperor's guard might be another good example. They look cool but never did anything.

I really dont care who the cartoons are aimed at since I have no intention of ever watching that, I meant the movies. Sometimes they sadly make changes to appeal to children.
    I said, both are aimed at everyone.
    Me personaly as it stands i prefer the cartoons then the films. at least the characters, and stories are better written.
    But then again, it is a different format.

I wouldnt say that force awakens is kind of fan service in general, it kind of had to be to restore faith into the movies again.
    Force Awakens, is full of fan service.
    From the story, to plot, to frames, and shots, as well entire scenes. taking after the original Star wars. You right is more then fanservice. Is more of a copycat issue.

And they did that, while playing on the nostalgia of the originals.

Droids are indeed appealing to children, though the difference is that in the original trilogy and the new movie is that they are not annoying to most adults. Children can get subtleties too, to some degree. Not everything has to be in their face and obvious.
    BB8 might not be as anoying as C3PÕ, but that is as far as it goes.

Never liked R2 much though, never understood the hype. He tends to just be a jerk who sticks his dick in every computer he can find.
    ... ok then....

I belive his popularity comes from being actualy uselfull, and do stuff arround. helping the heroes with actualy stuff. i also wouldnt link a feisty personality to R2...
    Chopper on the other hand, he is quite a jerk.

Of course toys will be sold, that has been that way since the first movies actually. Captain Phasma was indeed quite wasted and everyone agrees on that. But the stores are filled with characters from the other six movies that had even smaller parts. Like pretty much all jedi masters on the council for example. They just sit there while only three jedi masters ever got to say anything. Chancellor Valorum didnt have much of a role either. And in the Original Trilogy Boba Fett is pretty infamous for his pathedic death, only thing he ever accomplished was tracking down Han Solo. Yet he is a very popular toy figure. I mean he got killed off by a blind man who defeated him without even realising it.
    Emperor's guard might be another good example. They look cool but never did anything.
    As i said the force awakens isnt different then the others on this.

Not everything has to be in their face and obvious.
    The force awakens is pretty obvious as well... just saying.