Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Wow Episode 19 of Rebels was epic. Why can't the whole show be like that? Damn! that is what I want!

From memory wasn't in the old canon Malachor V ripped apart by the Mass Shadow Generator? So it is better they didn't call this place Malachor V

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Malachor V was destroyed in KOTOR 2 yes. Could be any Malachor to be honest. But yeah it makes sense from a non-EU point of view I guess.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

There is a Malachor III, if I recall correctly. And yeah I never said it was Malachor V. Again, they go to the Malachor System but by not making a reference to Malachor V, they're not legitimizing KOTOR/TOR's story.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Yeah it's just a way of saying there is some truth in legends but they are still not cannon. Realistically it's probably the same place, as what are the chances to have two planets that are called Malachor both have sith temples on them and both have had cataclysmic events in the old republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Yeah it's just a way of saying there is some truth in legends but they are still not cannon. Realistically it's probably the same place, as what are the chances to have two planets that are called Malachor both have sith temples on them and both have had cataclysmic events in the old republic.
    From a lore standpoint, pretty high.

As the whole system of moons and planets was full of temples and place marks of the sith empire of old, dating back to the hyperspace war. Darth Revan after the mandalorian wars dig the whole system for ruins and relics and of course knowledge.

Rebels does nothing to infringe on the old republic stuff. It would also not be very smart of them.

Again, it's pandering to the KOTOR community without actually making our universe canon.
    Filoni is a known fan of Kotor and the old republic stuff...
    Do you think he would want to put Darth Revan, and Darth Bane, and several KOTOR beasts in the clone wars if he wasnt? Its not news that is folowing a similar path now in Rebels.

Remember this?

Wow Episode 19 of Rebels was epic. Why can't the whole show be like that? Damn! that is what I want!
    I wish!!

But i get it. Besides the need of them to serve the story, and the new characters, they also have to pander to kids and what not. I just wish there wasnt that need.
    Some carttoons that i watched when i was a kid, they werent this childish. But alas, we live in a different time.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

In episode seven i saw a serving robot in that cantina. I think it looks so similar to SWTOR robot companion (forgot the name but you can recruit it from Belsavis dungeon).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

HK-51 which begins in Section X?

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    HK-51 which begins in Section X?
    No, the female looking one, like in KoTFE.

Patrician

Scorpio?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well finally saw episode 7 now that its on DVD since I couldnt find someone who both wanted to see the movie in theaters and had time to see it when I had time.

It's an enjoyable movie to me, but it seems to be an action movie and not a space opera.

While the prequels had too much talking and exposition, I feel episode 7 has too little of it. They don't tell us enough about what changed in all those years. Yes it is similar to a new hope, but a new hope established what was going on at the moment a lot better. And thats pretty much what I feel is missing. I mean.. whats going on with the republic? Why is the resistance seperate from the republic army? What power does this first order have if the republic is in controll of the galaxy? This needs more explanation.

Also, it lacks quiet moments. You know, those quiet establishing shots, heroes staring off in the distance while contemplating as some nice music plays.. Never was there any memorable music, no strong memorable moment.

But still, I do feel that its a good movie due to Rey and Finn. They are great characters and they have great chemistry with each other. If that where to become a romance later on I feel it could be a good one. So in that regard it does seem the movie passed on the torch properly to a new generation, and I think Poe was likeable too even though his role is not big. But I imagine he will have a bigger part to play in the next movie.

Sadly the imperial side has nothing interesting to offer though, only Kylo Ren is memorable but I am not quite sure how to feel about him. He clearly is not fully trained and thats shown well I feel. I do think that he is properly portrayed as a fallen jedi and NOT a sith. Because while he is driven by emotion, he did not master controll over them like a Sith would. And this seems suiteable for the movie considering Finn and Rey are also inexperienced, and with Kylo already wounded before their fight I do feel it was realistic enough that he lost. It will probably make him a more interesting character in the next movie.. I mean.. he tries to be like darth vader and failed. Through that he becomes more his own character instead of a copy. Now he will also feel a great deal of anger towards the two heroes for realistic reasons, so he has a good motivation for revenge.

But the officers, and that snookums or whatever his name may be are terrible characters. I do think it needed an older officer like Tarkin to be in controll of such an important weapon. I think someone more experienced with more authority would have been better, someone who could really put Kylo in his place. Someone who may have known Darth Vader and clearly knows Kylo is no Vader.
    And that leader snookums is just bland and boring. typical cliched villain. It might get interesting if Kylo Ren becomes more powerfull and overthrows him, I'd like to see Kylo become a full Sith, taking on a sith name and everything.

The old cast seems to be used well mostly, Leia has a good role for this I feel, with her position she can be given as little or as much screentime as they want pretty much. I get why Han was killed off since he is where the action is, and that part will mostly go to the new generation. Considering Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in the OT it feels right too. Besides, with everyone watching that moment I saw it comeing.
    Luke's role should have been bigger though. Should have at least have some lines to give us a proper cliffhanger. I mean he is on the DVD and he was seen in the trailers!
    Also seems he is repeating Yoda and Obi-Wan's mistakes by going into hiding instead of taking responsibility and fight to stop the evil student they unleashed on the galaxy. I am guessing for the next movie he will train someone to fight his battles for him too.

Still, overall I do think its a good movie to get us interested in the franchise again. But if it pays off we will really know once the next movie comes out. Hopefully they will learn from the critiques and do more with the score and give the next movie some quiet moments too instead of constant action.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

JJ Abrams' movies are notorious for crappy, repetitive soundtracks.

A Man's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    While the prequels had too much talking and exposition, I feel episode 7 has too little of it. They don't tell us enough about what changed in all those years. Yes it is similar to a new hope, but a new hope established what was going on at the moment a lot better. And thats pretty much what I feel is missing. I mean.. whats going on with the republic? Why is the resistance seperate from the republic army? What power does this first order have if the republic is in controll of the galaxy? This needs more explanation.
    See this is why I actually appreciate this movie even more. It only tells us stuff from our main character's point of view, what they ask and what they want and need to know. Other than that, we know nothing. We are getting to know this 30 year later situation in the galaxy along with our main characters. We're on a journey with them, and in time we will get to know more and the picture will be clearer.
    As for your questions, I think they partially did explain some stuff. After the second Death Star was destroyed, The Empire was far from defeated and they rebranded as The First Order. Meanwhile, The Resistance (formerly know as Rebels) are backing up the formation of a new Republic in the galaxy. They are a military part of it and they defend their interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Also, it lacks quiet moments. You know, those quiet establishing shots, heroes staring off in the distance while contemplating as some nice music plays.. Never was there any memorable music, no strong memorable moment.
    Really? The introduction to Rey was pretty much all you mentioned. Not a single word needed to be said, just seeing her get through a day in her life.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Complains about too much quiet, then not enough quiet in the same post. What even?
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well the only quiet moment was when Rey was introduced. After that it was pretty much a constant battle or chase with someone. Where ever they went enemies followed pretty much straight away.

Patrician

I think Kylo Ren is his "Sith name". Since he is a Knight of Ren. BTW wtf is a Ren? In Chinese (depending on the character used) it means compassion which is odd if they considered that. In my KOTOR playthrough I named my guy Ren Qel-Droma and then I found it strange that a guy who looked like Revan was named Kylo Ren.

A Man's Avatar Senator

Nah, he is not a Sith. I am glad that Sith era is over in this canon. Not all dark side force users need to be called "Darth" in films. Believe it or not, back when ANH came out, "Darth" was just a first name and "Vader" was a last name that Anakin took after turning to the dark side.

Kinda reminds me of Dragonlance, when they kickstarted the next generation and evil decided they needed their own orders of knighthood.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Could be based off the Imperial Knights of the Legacy Era EU.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Could be based off the Imperial Knights of the Legacy Era EU.
    Honestly I considered that.

Basically what Episode 7 is doing is that there are only a handful of Jedis against a bunch of Dark Side users. Which is the opposite of the Clone Wars stuff where you have 10,000 Jedi Knights and only 2 Sith (and Dooku's acolytes I guess).