Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Stop whining about the ww2 physics that the series has always used.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    You expect me to believe that you never read nor heard one thing about how Luke acted out of character? Mark himself made such comments. (Rhetorical)
    Mark Hamill isn’t the authority figure, not having spent most of his life playing Luke Skywalker. Dude knows more about Joker.
    Last edited by alhoon; March 20, 2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Double post
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    We should be able to comment and discuss our impressions here.
    It's not like it was a complaint directed at one of us in particular.
    Last edited by paleologos; March 21, 2018 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    About episode XIII:
    Is it just me or are there more people who really disliked the bombers vs dreadnought scene?
    Free falling bombs in space?
    Really?
    What's wrong with missiles?
    More importantly, what's wrong with the "science part" of science fiction?
    Star Wars has always been more fantasy in space than science fiction, but I didn't like it either. Not just the free falling bombs, but the whole scene really. A lone fighter attacking a dreadnought?

Mark Hamill isn’t the authority figure, not having spent most of his life playing Luke Skywalker. Dude knows more about Joker.
    just because someone says they didn't like something does not mean they are whining about it. You really need to stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post

just because someone says they didn't like something does not mean they are whining about it. You really need to stop this.
    He couldn’t even come up with a good response. Also it was a matter of time until Star Wars used a classic WW2 bomber run in battle.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Disney has reorganized its assets and ToysRUs has basically collapsed everywhere except for Canada (they are becoming another company up here). This doesn't really bode well for Star Wars' future.

Finished Star Wars Rebels, the ending wasn't too bad I guess. But for all of the plot points that Rebels wrapped up it kind of left a lot hanging. Darth Maul was just sort of there and they didn't really do much with him relevant to the story. The lack of Ashoka Tano, Obi-wan or Ventress was somewhat unsettling. What the heck was the other dimension thing about? Is it the same as the Mortis and Yoda vision quest thing? What happened to Thrawn? What has Ashoka been up to for two seasons? What was the point of introducing Saw Guerrera? Why does everything feel like it is more interested in making cameos than developing characters or actually expanding the universe. So much of this needs to be explained, now that Clone Wars and Rebels did not explain it. Finally what was that whole time skip at the very end? Was it meant to be after Endor? Were Ezra and Ashoka gone for over 6 years?

Also LOL at Indiana Jones references.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Toys r us closed.

Response: Ummmmm. Ok.

What? You think this will stop them from making mos of their sales? Also surf io9 for some good toy recommendations Star Wars among them.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patrician

Toys R Us has boxes and boxes full of Star Wars toys. No one is buying them, no one cares. It doesn't matter where you sell it because no one is buying. Though I can't imagine that Star Wars toys helped their situation.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Reportedly, quality is below par.

Also, it's somewhat like candy that supermarkets strategically arrange towards the cash registers and at rugrats line of sight, a very immediate, tactile and visual experience.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    About episode XIII:
    Is it just me or are there more people who really disliked the bombers vs dreadnought scene?
    Free falling bombs in space?
    Really?
    What's wrong with missiles?
    More importantly, what's wrong with the "science part" of science fiction?
    Not exactly true. The inspiration of the MF scene was taken from a WWII film from bombers. Everything else you see is the result of aerial combat in general.
    That entire scene was a joke.

So a man who played the role in three movies prior has no authority on his own character? You are just being argumentative now. It really is scary that people actually believe the Last Jedi is a good movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Toys R Us has boxes and boxes full of Star Wars toys. No one is buying them, no one cares. It doesn't matter where you sell it because no one is buying. Though I can't imagine that Star Wars toys helped their situation.
    To be fair, ToysR Us have been struggling for years now.

The bombs? Gravity induced field, I think. Maybe replusors or magnetic rail mortar.

Should be expository in the movie, if only for five seconds.

LOL, you can't explain stupidity.
    They are space, presumably a highly advanced society and the best solution for destroying a large ship is to have slow flying ships fly above a target and "drop" bombs on a target. Meanwhile in a Galaxy not far away, they manage to create an entire planet into a planet-destroying weapon.

The first 15 minutes of the movie, we had Marx brothers humor, silly dramatize WWII era bombs complete with mechanical failure that you would think their technology would make that not possible, and disobeying becuse it was worth it cliche. Oh, there was the cheesy over the top sacrificial death cliche.

Not exactly true. The inspiration of the MF scene was taken from a WWII film from bombers. Everything else you see is the result of aerial combat in general.
    That entire scene was a joke.
    Star Wars combat in general is a joke. This is something you're going to have to live with, it being in space, yet heavily inspired by World War 2 aerial combat.

This is not a series we go to for realism. Yet, we're able to pull more out of this movie how Star Wars combat works than in any any previous movie.

So a man who played the role in three movies prior has no authority on his own character? You are just being argumentative now. It really is scary that people actually believe the Last Jedi is a good movie.
    He played it for four films and one scene at the end of another film. Others have worked Star Wars for their entire careers. Like I said, he knows more about the Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The bombs? Gravity induced field, I think. Maybe replusors or magnetic rail mortar.

Show. Don't tell.
    Last edited by Gaidin; March 21, 2018 at 07:54 AM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Star Wars combat in general is a joke. This is something you're going to have to live with, it being in space, yet heavily inspired by World War 2 aerial combat.

This is not a series we go to for realism. Yet, we're able to pull more out of this movie how Star Wars combat works than in any previous movie.
    You are like capt. Apologist. No space movie capture true movement. However, that bomb scene was something to behold. LOL

He played it for four films and one scene at the end of another film. Others have worked Star Wars for their entire careers. Like I said, he knows more about the Joker.
    This has to be one of the ridiculous arguments I have read in my life.

You are like capt. Apologist. No space movie capture true movement. However, that bomb scene was something to behold. LOL
    No, I just read more and I watch more. If I want semi-realistic space flight by the fighters I watch BSG, not Star Wars. If I want high strategy in the space opera, it's more likely to come out in a book series, not in Star Wars. Star Wars is a pulp sci-fi and people in this thread don't seem to be cognizant of that fact.

This has to be one of the ridiculous arguments I have read in my life.
    What? That Lucas Arts is a corporation that has people dedicated to manning the fort that is Star Wars knowledge and they have spent upwards of their entire career there? Where Mark Hamill has played a role in four films? The man has more screen time as the Joker over multiple shows, movies, and video games adding up to more solid voice time than the entire Star Wars movie set altogether.

Your math doesn't add up.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 21, 2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Offensive order deleted.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Insulting my intelligence is not going to make your apology mush better.
    physics not withstanding the bombing scene was s joke. It isn’t that it didn’t make sense scientifically, it didn’t make since in the established physics of Star Wars. For some reason this is lost on you.

Actors RS study their characters. They capture their thoughts and feelings. There are three movies in which Luke is developed and mark had a part in the development. If you bother watching ch any interview he stated as much. The Last Jedi was a departure from that development. I am not alone with this MH agreed as well as many SW nerds.

As as far as I am concerned, you seem to love a sucky movie. If you want to explain away every bit of stupidity in the movie, then so be it. Just don’t get pissy because we are not buying the crap you are ditching out. As far as I am concerned, if it looks like crap, feels like crap, and smells like crap, then it is crap.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 21, 2018 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Continuity.

Insulting my intelligence is not going to make your apology mush better.
    I apologized? You're reading some strange into my posts.

As as far as I am concerned, you seem to love a sucky movie. If you want to explain away every bit of stupidity in the movie, then so be it. Just don’t get pissy because we are not buying the crap you are ditching out. As far as I am concerned, if it looks like crap, feels like crap, and smells like crap, then it is crap.
    Popcorn sci-fi is god damned awesome. Unashamedly so.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 21, 2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Continuity.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patrician

To be fair, ToysR Us have been struggling for years now.
    Sure but they sold most of their WWE toys and all sorts of other stuff. Their Star Wars toys have an entire aisle there are so many of them. They still have toys from Force Awakens and entire unopened boxes just lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post

This isn't directed at you or me trying to pick a fight or anything like that, but trying to provide a realistic explanation for it annoys me more than the scene itself. It was nonsense, better to recognize it and move on.

This is not a series we go to for realism. Yet, we're able to pull more out of this movie how Star Wars combat works than in any any previous movie.

Show. Don't tell.
    I agree that its something we must live with. I don't hold SW up to the same realism standard as Interstellar or The Martian. But it is also okay to express one's dislike over it.

Regarding Hamill and The Joker, whether he knows more about that character is irrelevant dude. He IS Luke Skywalker. No one else has played the role; Mark brought the character to life. He absolutely is an authority on the character and is entitled to a sense of ownership of the character.

Hamill has had forty years of fan conventions to reflect on the character, probably has read the further adventures from a range of authors.

So he probably knows also how the fanbase wanted the character to develop.