Page 20 of 291 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570120 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

flota's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Jedis tend to think they're invincible.

Anakin's probably the one to most closely empathize with them, due to his childhood and late apprenticancy. Yoda next, but still somewhat removed.
    So much empathy commanding them to Soviet style charges.
    The jedi seem suited to specops missions, maybe shock troopers
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

That is Palpatine's doing, using them as generals instead doing special/tactical operations. They tend to get perish faster with this way.

Look at the Old Republic and SWTOR for example. Our Jedi Knight doing all kind of specops and Consulars gathering armies then doing their stuff from backlines while the Republic Army/Navy does the actual fight. That's why the Republic prevails against moronic Sith.

Damn, again this proves how awesome Sidious is.
    Last edited by gastovski; October 20, 2014 at 04:33 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Never thought of it that way.

My main problem with it is however that it just kills more of the once mythical image of jedi. They where wizards and monks. Most media seem to have way too many of them either way and often not acting very wise, likely to try and relate more with people. But that's the thing.. while they are people, they should maintain that mystical aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    That is Palpatine's doing, using them as generals instead doing special/tactical operations. They tend to get perish faster with this way.
    It's a pretty crappy military where generals die faster than spec ops soldiers...
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    It's a pretty crappy military where generals die faster than spec ops soldiers...
    Jedi shouldn't be generals so they suck at it. Palpatine knows this and taking advantage from it, Jedi problem solved.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

That's why I said they were like SS frontline commanders. The injury or kill ratio of those guys compared to regular units was off the charts.
    Then again the SS was never as well equipped or supplied as the regular army. Much like the Jedi the SS has to survive on sheer willpower and skill and that sure as hell did not help them much if you look at the casualties (I think the expected lifespan of an SS soldier was less than a year).
    From watching Clone Wars it seems Jedi die by the handfuls and usually because they're in direct combat.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Rational for this chain of command might not be too obscure.

The Senate co-opted the Jedi Order, and used their inherent hierarchy to structure both their pre-Clone paramilitary and their Clonized military around it. Besides the Special Forces aspect, they also acted as organic Commissars for their commands, so they also served an additional political function.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

flota's Avatar Tiro

Rational for this chain of command might not be too obscure.

The Senate co-opted the Jedi Order, and used their inherent hierarchy to structure both their pre-Clone paramilitary and their Clonized military around it. Besides the Special Forces aspect, they also acted as organic Commissars for their commands, so they also served an additional political function.
    So they were like gaunt... Colonel-commissar
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

So is anyone else watching Star Wars Rebels?

Yes, and one of the few times I'm glad that Disney has a three season rule.

Yes, and one of the few times I'm glad that Disney has a three season rule.
    Not a rule you can depend on. For all you know Disney could give the LucasArts subCompany free reign in the same sense it gives Marvel free reign.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    So is anyone else watching Star Wars Rebels?
    Its terrible and nobody likes it.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'll get to watching a couple episodes after I do all of my damn work.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

PLEASE BE GOOD PLEASE BE GOOOOOOD

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    ​Sauce? I like it

I don't know if I'm repeating myself.

But it seems to me that Disney is probably establishing base of younger audience to feed into the next trilogy of films and merchandising, which makes commercial sense. This may have been an important aspect in the tone taken and simplistic scripting of Rebels.

What i gather from the reception, critics, and audiences generaly speaking, is a positive impression of the show so far.
    Imo i think its too soon to gauge it properly, with only 2 or 3 episodes out.

But it seems to me that Disney is probably establishing base of younger audience to feed into the next trilogy of films and merchandising, which makes commercial sense. This may have been an important aspect in the tone taken and simplistic scripting of Rebels.
    just like the clone wars and the prequels did for the previous generations of late 90s and 00s?
    Honestly so far i didnt find rebels more or less mature then clone wars, but then again too soon to get a grasp of it, or review it in proper context. imo.
    At this point is as terrible as the Clone wars. Only probably with a better initial reception by the audiences, and honestly not as bad as the initial episodes of clone wars. Again my opinion. But im yet to see this last episode.
    I think this is a show, i will wait for a bit, and then watch it in one go, the episodes that happened to air up to that point.

I remember when the clone wars animated movie came out, and the TV show begun airing, everybody hate it, specialy Asoka and other dumb characters, at the end of it Asoka end up quite loved by the audiences. hell the first Clone wars episodes ( i dare first season) didnt even had a continuous clear plot, it was a justa bunch of slice of stories taken from a larger setting with no real aparent connection between them.
    Also i hear James Earl Jones was casted to Voice vader for Rebels. That has to count something for the old 70s and 80s "Geeks".
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; October 21, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Why does nobody reference the slimy blue parasite that is eating Aladdin's head?

His air is ridiculous indeed.

Anyway I just felt like posting this. no reason behind it. ( no reason needed too to be honest.)

"And another successful planetary liberation utilizing the base delta zero initiative!"

Latest episode of Rebels was great, but this line in particular is just hilarious amazing if you understand it.