Page 291 of 291 FirstFirst ... 191241266281282283284285286287288289290291
Results 5,801 to 5,816 of 5816

Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    The biggest problem is that Season 3 of Mandalorian has been such a train wreck I am beginning to get worried. Either Favreau-Filoni dropped the ball or more likely Kennedy has been getting her tail into it and derailing it. I can't explain the huge drop in quality from Season 2 to 3. It's like it's a different show written by different people. Which makes me not very excited for that movie.
    While season 3 is not on par with season 2... season 2 of Mandalorian is a very high bar to clear. Season 3 of Mandalorian is IMO better than the first season was, for example. I have watched up to episode 5, but I really like it a lot.

I understand those that are :-/ about the first couple of episodes since you HAVE TO watch Book of Bobba Fett but if you have watched the Book of Bobba Fett then ... this season is in my opinion very good. And I am not alone there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma...n_3)#Reception
    "The Mandalorian was the most streamed television series across all platforms in the United States during the week of March 5, 2023,[46] during the week of March 12, 2023,[47] and during the week of March 19, 2023,[48] and during the week of March 26, 2023."
    Episodes 2-5 were most streamed series.

The ratings from viewers and ratings are just a bit below season 2 and in some of the metrics better than season 1. I think that the episode with the cloak & dagger in Coruscant was a bit off, but the episodes I have watched were all good.

Of course... Bo Katan was a character I liked very much since her introduction in the Clone wars over 15 years ago. So, I am biased. A season that has Bo Katan will get thumbs up from me.
    And if they throw Sabine Wren there (another one I like), I will give even more thumbs up.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 09, 2023 at 05:43 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I couldn't even watch Cassian Andor. I tuned out during the first episode and then quit. Like I said, I don't watch this trash by myself so if I stopped watching it then it was because no one else wanted to watch it either.

Okay Mando Part 3... I mean I already hated Mando Part 2 and The Biik of Boba Fitt. You think I am going to give Mando Part 3 a good review??? This whole season has been nothing but the Bo Katan girl power arc. I mean Mando supplanted Boba Fett in his own show so it is just karma at this point. But who the heck is Bo Katan? She was literally a background character in TCW. Granted I wouldn't know where The Mando show or Dindarin or Goku can even go with their stories.

Plus the fact that Baby Yoda is back kind of made the ending of season 2 redundant. Not that it wasn't obvious since Baby Yoda is the epicenter of their marketing. Or that it matters since season 2 was already trash that completely took The Mando off course. It really wasn't any better than season 3, just that it had more cameos, but the story made even less sense. At least The Mando season 3 put the story back on course. But now the problem is that whoever is writing this garbage doesn't even know how to write, these simpletons probably use speech to text software. Admittedly if you told me an AI wrote this season I would believe it. But the episodes are boring and uninteresting. Though arguably The Mando Part 3 makes more sense than The Epic of Boba Fett.

But consider that even if The Mando season 3 was any good a lot of people still wouldn't care. Because The Beek of Beba Fott was terrible, and then Kenobi was terrible, and then Cassian Andor I don't even know what it was, which means that The Mando 3 is kind of ruined by default and has a worse reputation than a Rhodian prostitute in Jabba's drug lord hacienda.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 09, 2023 at 11:10 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Patrician

I don't want to stay here all day so I'll do the quickie:

-The Ashoka TV show... literally never liked this character and I never liked TCW. But this is literally just the Thrawn trilogy but in Star Wars Rebels but in live action. It also reached peak levels of feminism since it seems that all the main characters are women now. Hurray for females and death to the glass ceiling!

-The Acolyte. Finally I can have lesbians in Star Wars. Good thing I have Disney+ so that Disney can groom and molest my kids in my own home instead of needing to go all the way to Florida so that they can get kidnapped and trafficked in their resort. I mean it was already obvious when Mulan came out in 1998 but now they aren't even being subtle about it.

-Thanks for destroying Willow and ruining midgets for me. The joy and entertainment are gone forever, now I will never find midgets funny again. Feel bad for Warwick Davis. I would say that Disney was the real winner here, but I don't see how getting their own show cancelled was worth putting midgets out of jobs.

-Indiana Jones 5... my god I thought Indiana Jones 4 was the worst thing that could be made. How foolish I was! Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had aliens, what nonsense! Lets do time travel that makes more sense... I... who was the idiot who thought of this? Was it Rian Johnson?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; April 09, 2023 at 11:14 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Sorry

-Thanks for destroying Willow and ruining midgets for me. The joy and entertainment are gone forever, now I will never find midgets funny again. Feel bad for Warwick Davis. I would say that Disney was the real winner here, but I don't see how getting their own show cancelled was worth putting midgets out of jobs.
    Umm you can't ruin willow it was always bad can't see how the new show did any damage.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician

Willow was at worst a perfectly average movie. But did they really have to turn it into hot garbage and then get it cancelled? Anyway the important thing to consider here is that the show flopped and then got cancelled. Further tarnishing the once proud if not artificially inflated prestige of Disney+.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Hmm In this case my opinion of the original was a lot lower than yours and realistically I would have bet money on a sequel flopping as it really had no reason to exist.

I mean I guess the way I would judges that potential is that if I was sorting about money at Disney would hmmm Willow OK in all the days when I was college would I haves stopped at either video store or cable channel surfing to watch willow again - nope. But compare Rouge one -yes. OK greenlight something based on the latter if we have a good ideal.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Hmm In this case my opinion of the original was a lot lower than yours and realistically I would have bet money on a sequel flopping as it really had no reason to exist.

I mean I guess the way I would judges that potential is that if I was sorting about money at Disney would hmmm Willow OK in all the days when I was college would I haves stopped at either video store or cable channel surfing to watch willow again - nope. But compare Rouge one -yes. OK greenlight something based on the latter if we have a good ideal.
    Okay fine. So why did they make the sequel? And if they were going to make a sequel why did they do it so poorly? Why not surprise us and make Willow good for a change? Instead it got cancelled. The majority of Lucasfilm products in the past 10 years are complete garbage now. Not even talking about the Star Wars Prequels or TCW right now.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I couldn't even watch Cassian Andor. I tuned out during the first episode and then quit. Like I said, I don't watch this trash by myself so if I stopped watching it then it was because no one else wanted to watch it either.
    You're missing out here. Andor is by far the best Star Wars tv series, in fact it's just a great tv series in it's own right. I rate it as high as the pre-Disney Star Wars stuff. It's dark, gritty and mature like I've always dreamed Star Wars would be.

Just give it a bit of time, go past the first 3 episodes. It's absolute quality tv, have no idea how Disney let such a good thing happen.

Okay fine. So why did they make the sequel? And if they were going to make a sequel why did they do it so poorly? Why not surprise us and make Willow good for a change? Instead it got cancelled. The majority of Lucasfilm products in the past 10 years are complete garbage now. Not even talking about the Star Wars Prequels or TCW right now.
    First I agree with Wallachian not sure how you manage to dislike Andor...

Why make a sequel obviously you get story short cuts... But why not make it good because well I think you find a lot stuff is not deemed good or gets axed. I mean really have you watched every TV show released in the US from 1960-1970 or Movie or both. how many were bad, good, floped , probly should not have been made.

So what is good star wars to you I might ask.

I think you can dislike Andor if you don't go passed the first 1-2 episodes. Nothing much happens in those because it's all setup. But then you get to the 'heist' and the 'one way out' and you're blown away.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    You're missing out here. Andor is by far the best Star Wars tv series, in fact it's just a great tv series in it's own right. I rate it as high as the pre-Disney Star Wars stuff. It's dark, gritty and mature like I've always dreamed Star Wars would be.

Just give it a bit of time, go past the first 3 episodes. It's absolute quality tv, have no idea how Disney let such a good thing happen.
    Ehh... Star Wars is YA. It is not supposed to be Dark, Gritty and Mature. You may like Andor for those traits but thankfully, it is not a dark, gritty and mature show (DGM). It is just more DGM than the rest.

I also like Andor but it is ... close to the "Star Wars formula" while not being 100% Star Wars. I haven't watched Solo to compare but Rogue One and Andor, while very enjoyable, are not your goofy, action-comedy "don't think about it too much", sound-in-space movies or TV series I have come to associate SW with.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

The beauty of the old Star Wars was that it could be anything. The old EU had anything from noir, gritty stories (Coruscant Nights trilogy), to zombie apocalypse stories (Death Troopers, Red Harvest), to military fiction (Republic Commando) while at the same time still feeling very much like Star Wars. This is what Andor and Rogue One managed to achieve and it was glorious. In Andor you are still seeing the world of Star Wars, just through a different lens.

For example, to me Andor feels a lot more like Star Wars than Episode VII which literally did not feel like Star Wars at all. Episode VII felt like they took the story of Ep IV and tried to put in a vacuum. The world felt empty and not lived in. And that's because there were no references to anything else in the wider galaxy. By contrast in Episode IV, the world felt very lived-in and real, and so did Andor.

Moderator Emeritus

https://collider.com/the-last-jedi-m...uke-skywalker/

Mark Hamill spoke against how Luke was potrayed in the new trilogy. I didn't know that. The article is oooold. Perhaps I did see it at the time, but I have forgot.

I think he spoke out about it on several occasions. There are a few Youtube collages of all the times he criticised Luke's portrayal.

Patrician

Watched "The Director and the Jedi" a documentary about the making of Episode 8 The Last Jedi.
    It is interesting to watch the clowns in their natural habitat.

-Mark Hamill looks completely dejected throughout. He looks like he wants to break down and start crying. Not that I blame him, they destroyed his life's work. I wonder what George Lucas thinks about this. Well either way they wrote Luke Skywalker backwards and made him subservient to Yoda again. When Yoda was clearly not the far thinking leader of the Jedi. I mean this was the guy who allowed the Jedi Order to be destroyed, told Luke to kill his own father... It was Luke who fixed the Jedi Order.

But in this movie Luke is this useless irritable old man who single handedly ruined everything and is so jaded that he hides on some Scottish island while still being lectured to by Yoda. Screw that, Luke should have been Yoda. But Luke being a wise Jedi Master needs to be subverted so that Rey can do whatever she wants.

We get it your Boomer parents were a disappointment and didn't give you the guidance that you wanted. Do you have to take it out on Star Wars? The take away here seems to be that Zoomers can do whatever they want because they are somehow more capable than their evil parents. Pretty obvious when you notice that Han Solo is a dead beat dad. Luke is a grumpy dead beat who worships his ancient Jedi religion and tried to kill Kylo Ren because reasons. The same goes for Supreme Leader Snookums who gets taken out. The story is clearly about Kylo Ren and Rey and how the Boomers in their lives failed them. Which is pretty stupid.

-Only now was reminded when I was watching this but the sets, the props, the costumes... they don't look like Star Wars. They look like Doctor Who or something. Sure as heck isn't Star Wars.

-Rian Johnson and the people involved fundamentally don't understand Star Wars. From a story perspective they did everything as terrible as they could. While Rian Johnson seems to come from the school of thought that every expectation needs to be subverted. All this really leads to is subverting my expectation that I expected this movie would be good. It does not a story make, it undermines the story and the characters. If you subvert and undermine everything then the narrative falls apart.

-Rian Johnson is so annoying. All he does is giggle and make weird noises. I mean he already looks like a baby but I didn't realize that he actually was one.

-Couldn't help but notice that the commissar Kathleen Kennedy kept supervising the shoot. Every time I saw her on the set it was very ominous. You can feel her dark presence twisting and destroying the very essence of Star Wars. Add to Rian's hatred of geriatric authority figures (ie Congress, the Jedi, Snoke aka Hugh Hefner) the part about the Force being female and this movie becomes more insufferable. Although if you pay attention to Rian and what he is doing he very clearly is not trying to make it about a feminist message. I have to wonder if Holdo and the Po bit were not actually her doing. So commissar Kathleen has to come in and give us the official narrative. We get it your brothers didn't let you play with them as a kid. But did you need to take it out on Star Wars?
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 18, 2024 at 08:04 PM.

-Only now was reminded when I was watching this but the sets, the props, the costumes... they don't look like Star Wars. They look like Doctor Who or something. Sure as heck isn't Star Wars.
    I think this was the biggest crime of the Sequel Trilogy. There were no interesting locations, planets, technologies, nothing. It felt so empty, devoid of any Star Wars charm.

Where are all the vibrant and interesting planets? I didn't even realise that the planet at the beginning of Episode IX was meant to be Mustafar. How do you fail to portray Mustafar?