Thread: 'Star Wars' discussions

Default Re: 'Star Wars' discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    They are boring? A clan based warrior culture in space? I really don't see any redeeming quality in them. Their armor literally makes them faceless mooks and that's all they are.

It's not really clear to me how they are supposedly awesome. They are just storm troopers by another name.
    So what?!! you think is boring, good for you.
    It changes nothing.

Star wars always had fantasy in its framework. Princess, knights, castles or fortress, and sorcerers, and you think warrior clans are stupid? because its in space? That is the whole point of it in the first place.

Sound in space is stupid, too, yet awesome in star wars.

Honestly, like the novelization of the spartan culture, or the amazons, the mandalorians look great in their armors, and that is all it is for most of the apeal, for the masses.

Im going on a jump here and say you never read any comic, or novel, or played KOTOR or whataver conserning the mandalorians. It is hard to like them when you dont know them, Just saying.

And canderous ordo is an awesome mandalorian character.
    War stories by canderous.

And makiing fun of jedi princess...

Btw Stormtrooper, or republic clone armor was modeled after the mandalorian armor, hence the similarity. hell the clones had the genetic makeup of a mandalorian. In case you miss it.

Indeed it would be amazing if they brought back Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Corran, Tycho and also some badasses such as Thrawn, Ysanne Isard, Daala, Zsinj. In terms of character depth and creativity they are all way above anything TFA brought us. Except Rey and that alien force lady they were all empty characters.

Speaking of legends and canon have you tried Galaxy of Heroes mobile game? It has none other than HK 47 as a character. And since it is a holotable game we can hope for more legends like Revan.

Mandalorians are just the classic badass warrior culture. Nothing new but great nonetheless.

And who could hate this??
    Pretty much, love those old republic era mandalorian armors.
    And yeah the force awakens was Disney playing it safe, with the franchise. Too safe for my taste.
    Save for a few characters like rey, i feel the movie felt realy short, on everything. Episode IV still did it better on every front generaly speaking.
    Btw i already said this on an earlier post, but Thrawn is rumored to apear in rebels on season 3. As an admiral combating the rebel fleet.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; February 04, 2016 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    So what?!! you think is boring, good for you.
    It changes nothing.

Star wars always had fantasy in its framework. Princess, knights, castles or fortress, and sorcerers, and you think warrior clans are stupid? because its in space? That is the whole point of it in the first place.

Sound in space is stupid, too, yet awesome in star wars.

Honestly, like the novelization of the spartan culture, or the amazons, the mandalorians look great in their armors, and that is all it is for most of the apeal, for the masses.

Im going on a jump here and say you never read any comic, or novel, or played KOTOR or whataver conserning the mandalorians. It is hard to like them when you dont know them, Just saying.

And canderous ordo is an awesome mandalorian character.
    War stories by canderous.

And makiing fun of jedi princess...

Btw Stormtrooper, or republic clone armor was modeled after the mandalorian armor, hence the similarity. hell the clones had the genetic makeup of a mandalorian. In case you miss it.
    Ordo can be an awesome character as much as he wants and it doesn't save the fact that Mandalorians are a terrible concept. I You can jump as you want as well, you are wrong but whatever, it still doesn't make their concept compelling.

Jesus, if you think the Amazons or Spartans are awesome because of their armor in some novelization. Small hint, Amazons were awesome when Homer was still around who was a misogynistic . They and the Spartans are interesting because of entirely different things and the masses wouldn't know if some smartass intellectuals wouldn't swoon over that.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

What's hilarious is that you guys can continue to hold what used to be canon as canon but at the end of the day it's just fan-fiction now.

Also how is Star Wars VII far removed from Star Wars?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    Indeed it would be amazing if they brought back Kyle Katarn, Dash Rendar, Corran, Tycho and also some badasses such as Thrawn, Ysanne Isard, Daala, Zsinj. In terms of character depth and creativity they are all way above anything TFA brought us. Except Rey and that alien force lady they were all empty characters.

Speaking of legends and canon have you tried Galaxy of Heroes mobile game? It has none other than HK 47 as a character. And since it is a holotable game we can hope for more legends like Revan.

Mandalorians are just the classic badass warrior culture. Nothing new but great nonetheless.
    I remember all those characters from the X-Wing books but I don't remember Daala who might be from another book (I actually didn't read all of the X Wing books).

I've never played that game, never even heard of it. Not sure if I will play a mobile game though.

Star Wars has tonnes of Warrior peoples some of which are like hunters and others that are more civilized like the Wookies, Trandoshans, Zabraks, Togruta though I think the Mandalorians were the only ones to try space domination.

@Derps, if fan fiction is good then it is good. Being labelled as canon does not increase the quality of something even if it was easier to follow a specific timeline or lore.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ah I remember Admiral Daala...

That ...

What's hilarious is that you guys can continue to hold what used to be canon as canon but at the end of the day it's just fan-fiction now.
    I can't enjoy something because it's not "official"? The fact of the matter is the whole debate is pointless. You're gonna like what you like. I happen to like a lot of the old stuff. IMO much of it is better than the New Canon.

I don't want the EU to be canon again. I want them to continue publishing EU storylines that were left unfinished.

In fact, a billboard was just funded that will be up from April-Thru May at the major intersection outside of Lucasfilm's HQ that will say "Please continue the Legends Universe."

Patrician

Which EU stories are still unfinished? I wasn't aware that there were any new EU stories except for like Legacy (Cade Skywalker) and the Abeloth stuff with Luke Skywalker.
    As far as Old Republic stuff is concerned they the bed with Revan although Deceived was pretty cool.
    Man Revan should have been like a ing trilogy honestly some of the ideas and characters were cool but Revan and the Exile barely came across as characters. For the Revan story to really be compelling and feel complete it would have to be like 1000 pages instead of the 350ish. Hell I would want to see a Revan prequel trilogy which gives us a story of the Mandalorian wars and the KOTOR games.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 04, 2016 at 10:18 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post

Also how is Star Wars VII far removed from Star Wars?
    How is it fan fiction? Is it written by Joe Bloggs on some random forum? No. It was written by Lucas Arts sanctioned authors and according to the specific plans and schedules. Some of the works even had forewards from George Lucas.

From example: “After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell. Instead they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga.” ~ George Lucas, foreward in rerelease of Splinter of the Mind’s Eye

Just because it is not part of the canon does not make it fan fic. They are still releasing old novels fresh with the legends tag on them. Just because the Witcher games do not form part of the official Witcher saga it doesn't mean that they are not fan fic or any less good quality.

This is what the Witcher book author said about the games: "Maybe it's time to set the matters straight," he went on. "'The Witcher' is a well made video game, its success is well deserved and the creators deserve all the splendour and honour due. But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski."

And you know what I enjoy the game just as much as the books and see them as complementary. Same story with the Star Wars EU and the new canon. Not to mention that a lot of authors of the New Canon books are exactly the same as the old canon: John Jackson Miller, James Luceno, Paul Kemp.

Why is Star Wars Ep VII removed from the other Star Wars movies? Because it is just a plain low quality remake with little in the way of new story, new quality characters and worse little in the way of actual action and battles. I was expecting at least a good quality space battle. For all the hate the prequels got I see them as far superior to Ep VII.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I remember all those characters from the X-Wing books but I don't remember Daala who might be from another book (I actually didn't read all of the X Wing books).

I've never played that game, never even heard of it. Not sure if I will play a mobile game though.
    Daala was introduced by Kevin J Anderson in the Jedi Academy Trilogy and then went on to be a huge part of the Legacy of the Force Series. She even becomes Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance.

Yeah that's what I thought of mobile games. I hate them and now I'm bloody playing Galaxy of Heroes all day long at work. Trying to get a team of Sidious, Luminara Unduli, Dooku, Poe Dameron and Qui Gon-Jinn to kick ass.

Never heard of the rumor of Thrawn in Rebels S3 now that would be crazy! Although I guess we got Malachor and Hammerheads. Pretty sure it is a massive nod towards the Old Republic era and it's place in the future canon.

Which EU stories are still unfinished? I wasn't aware that there were any new EU stories except for like Legacy (Cade Skywalker) and the Abeloth stuff with Luke Skywalker.
    As far as Old Republic stuff is concerned they the bed with Revan although Deceived was pretty cool.
    Man Revan should have been like a ing trilogy honestly some of the ideas and characters were cool but Revan and the Exile barely came across as characters. For the Revan story to really be compelling and feel complete it would have to be like 1000 pages instead of the 350ish. Hell I would want to see a Revan prequel trilogy which gives us a story of the Mandalorian wars and the KOTOR games.
    Actually I am one of the few that enjoyed the Revan novel. Thought it was quite fun. I mean sure I would have loved for the Exile and Revan to be a crazy badass duo. And the fact that Carth, Bastilla and the rest of the crew were nowhere to be seen was retarded. Still I didn't hate it.

Plenty of stories left unfinished. The Sword of the Jedi series was cancelled. Then we have loads of comic series like KOTOR and Legacy which never got finished properly.

Ordo can be an awesome character as much as he wants and it doesn't save the fact that Mandalorians are a terrible concept. I You can jump as you want as well, you are wrong but whatever, it still doesn't make their concept compelling.

Jesus, if you think the Amazons or Spartans are awesome because of their armor in some novelization. Small hint, Amazons were awesome when Homer was still around who was a misogynistic . They and the Spartans are interesting because of entirely different things and the masses wouldn't know if some smartass intellectuals wouldn't swoon over that.
    Right right, of course Im wrong because i like something, you dont. How calous of me.

And personaly i dont find the spartans that awesome at all, as Greek societies goes, is far from my favorites. But they are popular, and one of the reasons its because of modern pop culture, like it or not. I doubt Plenty of people had read homer. But i dont doubt plenty of people had seen 300.

And i think you are twisting what i said anyway. i gave you a reason why this stuff is popular. And im telling you there is nothing wrong with that.

And as concept goes, the mandalorians are as good as the jedi knights, or the sith or what have you in star wars.

Just admit it you dont like them because you dont like them. Doesnt need to have a reason behind it.

i gave you suficient arguments... to counter yours. For you the spartans are different, because they have an empire...
    and i told you so do the mandalorians (and yeah its canon). But you dont want to know. So thats fine, you dont like them. Im prefectly fine with it.

I just think your argument about its concept is completly flawed, and sort out of place, considering other example sin the franchise.
    It isnt fan fiction. Might not be part of the official canon, but its oficial star wars content, regardless. Think of it as alternative stories. Its the same thing like saying the dark knight returns or the killing joke graphic novels are fan fiction, because it isnt part of the canon continuity of batman, and superman, and the justice league. It makes no sense.

Honestly i dont get why people are so attatched to what is canon or not. The stories arent going away, you can still enjoy them.

I can't recall, is the Trojan War before or after the Spartans permanently enslave their neighbours?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Long before. Trojan War is about 960 BC

Patrician

To be fair I've never liked the Spartans either save for the 300 comic. Spartans could be fairly stupid and unimaginative and altogether fairly bad at waging war except for the fact that they could scrape together a strong army. Of all their generals they had a handful that could be considered truly good commanders and their inept politics destroyed any chance at a culturally enriched society or even a standing hegemony over Greece (or anything for that matter, held Messenia for a while though but ultimately lost it). This is probably the same idea when it comes to Mandalorians, even if not all of it was intentional.

Star Wars Lego: I only ever played the original game on the PS2 like a decade ago with my brother. We had lots of fun and it was a cool game but I don't know if I would ever play it or another Star Wars lego game again. I haven't played a Lego game since then but I guess I was never really into Lego.

This is what the Witcher book author said about the games: "Maybe it's time to set the matters straight," he went on. "'The Witcher' is a well made video game, its success is well deserved and the creators deserve all the splendour and honour due. But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski."
    The Witcher books are actually a series that I've grown more curious about since I do like fantasy adventure (Hobbit being one of my favourite books when I was a child) and that has only increased since I watched the LOTR and Hobbit films and played Dragon Age Origins all those years ago and more recently Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3. Though I should say that I didn't really like Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 due to graphics, game play and some of the ways they decided to give us the narrative. Witcher 3 got me hooked and I'm sold on that universe, even if I have a hard time getting into a new franchise and it might be years and years before I even pick up one of those books.

And you know what I enjoy the game just as much as the books and see them as complementary. Same story with the Star Wars EU and the new canon. Not to mention that a lot of authors of the New Canon books are exactly the same as the old canon: John Jackson Miller, James Luceno, Paul Kemp.
    Some of the Star Wars writers I remember most are James Luceno (New Jedi Order, Tarkin, Plagueis, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader), Paul S. Kemp (Deceived, Crosscurrent, Lords of the Sith) and Timothy Zahn (Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology).
    Though Drew Karpyshyn also sticks out for me for having written the Darth Bane trilogy and two of the Old Republic books (Revan and Annihilation) though of course I was not that pleased with his Revan book despite the fact that he had written the original KOTOR game.
    There are countless authors as well and so many damn books I wouldn't even know where to start, but those are really the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.
    Timohy Zahn has written so many other sci fi books as well that I'm tempted to read a few of those since I really like sci fi genre especially the stuff that uses fantasy adventure (for example Star Wars, Dune, John Carter of Mars; I actually have not read those two others but I want to).

Why is Star Wars Ep VII removed from the other Star Wars movies? Because it is just a plain low quality remake with little in the way of new story, new quality characters and worse little in the way of actual action and battles. I was expecting at least a good quality space battle. For all the hate the prequels got I see them as far superior to Ep VII.
    Personally I thought that the movie borrowed a lot from the EU to the point where if I wasn't noticing a reference to the original trilogy I was noting every EU reference as well.
    The movie definitely lacked in the space battles department, the space "battle" we got was weak, basically just X-wings vs TIE fighters but no Y-wings, A-wings, TIE Interceptors, TIE Bombers, corvettes, cruisers, Star Destroyers or frigates. The fight itself was choreographed but in a way where they didn't want you to notice. The action worked but the fights had no rhyme or reason really, I guess I preferred it to the dancing in the prequels (and many times over the Count Dooku fight in episode 2 which I hate so much).
    I think it worked as a movie but so many things that detracted from my experience, not least of all that I had pretty much guessed 90% of the content of this movie by only watching the trailers and was angry that it didn't feel new at all to me.

Daala was introduced by Kevin J Anderson in the Jedi Academy Trilogy and then went on to be a huge part of the Legacy of the Force Series. She even becomes Chief of State of the Galactic Alliance.
    I barely remember the Jedi Academy trilogy or most of the things that I read a decade ago.
    I started getting into this when episode 3 was released and just prior to watching it in the cinema I read one of those Jedi Quest books (the one with Omega something). Suffice to say I didn't enjoy the book too much but I was 10 years old at the time. Since then I gradually started reading but quit reading the books around 2010 until about 2013. Most of my material being Old Republic and Clone Wars (a few of them being comic books) and so there are quite a few after episode 6 that I didn't get a chance to read.

Anyway was Daala the one who tried to get Luke Skywalker exiled from the Jedi Order? Resulting in Luke going off to take care of some trouble and leaving that idiot Kenth Hamner in charge?

Yeah that's what I thought of mobile games. I hate them and now I'm bloody playing Galaxy of Heroes all day long at work. Trying to get a team of Sidious, Luminara Unduli, Dooku, Poe Dameron and Qui Gon-Jinn to kick ass.
    How accurate is the game to the stats from the EU? I figure a team of Mace Windu, Shaak Ti, Obi-wan Kenobi and Plo Koon would be unstoppable. Add in Dooku or Yoda or any other power house and that would be the best team I could think up on the spot.

Never heard of the rumor of Thrawn in Rebels S3 now that would be crazy! Although I guess we got Malachor and Hammerheads. Pretty sure it is a massive nod towards the Old Republic era and it's place in the future canon.
    When did we get Malachor and Hammerheads? By Hammerheads do you mean Ithorians or space ships?
    Looking at episode 7 and 8 with the first Jedi temple thing they might retcon the Old Republic period altogether (why else would they declare it non-canon unless they were planning on doing something with the time period?). Most likely they will just make vague references to some characters or events but not explain anything about the old timeline. I'm expecting a couple stuff that will altogether contradict a major point in the old republic era timeline.

Plenty of stories left unfinished. The Sword of the Jedi series was cancelled. Then we have loads of comic series like KOTOR and Legacy which never got finished properly.
    As far as KOTOR goes I was curious to see what Zayne Carrick was up to and how this would lead to the KOTOR games or after. If I had to guess Zayne would go on a few adventures, possibly enter into direct conflict with Revan and Malak and at some point down the line end up getting killed and having an epic hero's death. Really no idea how to end his character unless you want to have him survive the KOTOR games and help rebuild the Jedi Order.

Now where Legacy is concerned I just don't know where to take this story anymore. What more could Cade Skywalker do? They beat Darth Krayt, the Sith were pretty much defeated and the Republic, Jedi Order and Empire entered into an alliance. Unless there was something I missed and an actual plot point that still needed to be resolved.

I was actually curious to see where the death of Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo and the Abeloth stuff would go. How Luke Skywalker would die, what more enemies Luke had to face and how this would connect with Cade Skywalker. Though honestly there seemed to have been nothing else that Luke and Jaina Solo could do seeing as everything from Lumiya and Caedus to the Yuuzhang Vong had been resolved hence why they used force entities and Abeloth as the next villain. I was actually never that curious as to Jaina's story but I guess she was okay (tough as nails she was).
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 07, 2016 at 03:02 AM.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Interesting video, didn't know the bit about Rey's pilot helmet.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

The Witcher books are actually a series that I've grown more curious about since I do like fantasy adventure (Hobbit being one of my favourite books when I was a child) and that has only increased since I watched the LOTR and Hobbit films and played Dragon Age Origins all those years ago and more recently Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3. Though I should say that I didn't really like Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 due to graphics, game play and some of the ways they decided to give us the narrative. Witcher 3 got me hooked and I'm sold on that universe, even if I have a hard time getting into a new franchise and it might be years and years before I even pick up one of those books.
    I love the Witcher universe, it is the mature fantasy content that attracts me. I definetly recommend the books as it provides huge amounts of background to the games. I mean Ciri just appears out of a sudden in Witcher 3 while she is an integral part of the books from the very beginning. The first two books are just compilations of cool short stories of Geralt. Then the next books are novels that develop the story further. I played Witcher 1 two years ago and loved the story, gameplay and graphics sucked. Witcher 2 I think stands up very well even today. Witcher 3 of course is a masterpiece.

The Dune series are fantastic, lots of philosophy involved. I stopped at book 5 about 9 years ago. I think I need to get back into it.

[QUOTE=Lord Oda Nobunaga;14841325]

Some of the Star Wars writers I remember most are James Luceno (New Jedi Order, Tarkin, Plagueis, Labyrinth of Evil, Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader), Paul S. Kemp (Deceived, Crosscurrent, Lords of the Sith) and Timothy Zahn (Thrawn trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology).
    Though Drew Karpyshyn also sticks out for me for having written the Darth Bane trilogy and two of the Old Republic books (Revan and Annihilation) though of course I was not that pleased with his Revan book despite the fact that he had written the original KOTOR game.
    There are countless authors as well and so many damn books I wouldn't even know where to start, but those are really the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.
    Timohy Zahn has written so many other sci fi books as well that I'm tempted to read a few of those since I really like sci fi genre especially the stuff that uses fantasy adventure (for example Star Wars, Dune, John Carter of Mars; I actually have not read those two others but I want to).

[/SPOILER]

Tim Zahn is the master of the EU. His books bring so much richness, for many years they were considered the true sequels. Tarkin is actually part of the New Canon but it has so many links to the old canon as it is written by Luceno the EU reference king. Kemp was a new addition to the EU towards the end, the Deceived/Crosscurrent books were meant to be a trilogy showing what happened to Jaden Korr and the clones (this is another loose thread that will never get finished).

I really loved Aaron Allston and Michael Stackpole's X Wing books. They were absolutely top notch and so much fun. Plus great characters. Wraith Squadron was so cool. Karpyshyn is actually back working with Bioware on the Old Republic so who knows he may write some new books. I really like him.

I'm actually not even a sci fi fan. Other than Dune and Star Wars I have never read any other sci fi. Prefer fantasy and non-fiction
    But star wars books and comics always had a place in my heart.

[QUOTE=Lord Oda Nobunaga;14841325]

Personally I thought that the movie borrowed a lot from the EU to the point where if I wasn't noticing a reference to the original trilogy I was noting every EU reference as well.
    The movie definitely lacked in the space battles department, the space "battle" we got was weak, basically just X-wings vs TIE fighters but no Y-wings, A-wings, TIE Interceptors, TIE Bombers, corvettes, cruisers, Star Destroyers or frigates. The fight itself was choreographed but in a way where they didn't want you to notice. The action worked but the fights had no rhyme or reason really, I guess I preferred it to the dancing in the prequels (and many times over the Count Dooku fight in episode 2 which I hate so much).
    I think it worked as a movie but so many things that detracted from my experience, not least of all that I had pretty much guessed 90% of the content of this movie by only watching the trailers and was angry that it didn't feel new at all to me.

[/SPOILER]

Really which bits did you think borrowed from the EU? I mean yeah the whole Jacen-Jaina parallel is pretty clear. But that was George Lucas' vision all along. To have the next generation of SkySolos battling it out. It's pretty clear that Rey (Jaina) is Luke's daughter and that she will fight Kylo (Jacen) who was corrupted by Snoke (Lumiya).

Exactly there was nothing new in the movie. And the starship battles were terrible, just a few fighters versing each other. No variety, no capital ships. I mean compared to the Ep III space battle they are just lame.

I really loved the acrobatic battles in the prequels as opposed to the badly choreographed battles in the OT. So was disappointed to see Kylo just bashing around with his lightsaber and Rey fumbling her way. I wanted to see lightsaber masters battling it out. Hopefully Luke will fight Snoke in some epic duel.

I barely remember the Jedi Academy trilogy or most of the things that I read a decade ago.
    I started getting into this when episode 3 was released and just prior to watching it in the cinema I read one of those Jedi Quest books (the one with Omega something). Suffice to say I didn't enjoy the book too much but I was 10 years old at the time. Since then I gradually started reading but quit reading the books around 2010 until about 2013. Most of my material being Old Republic and Clone Wars (a few of them being comic books) and so there are quite a few after episode 6 that I didn't get a chance to read.

Anyway was Daala the one who tried to get Luke Skywalker exiled from the Jedi Order? Resulting in Luke going off to take care of some trouble and leaving that idiot Kenth Hamner in charge?
    Yes that was Daala. She was Tarkin's mistress and she had a fleet in the Maw in the JK trilogy she attacks the republic and tries to get the Sun Crusher. She gradually takes over the Imperial remnant at the expense of Pellaeon.

How accurate is the game to the stats from the EU? I figure a team of Mace Windu, Shaak Ti, Obi-wan Kenobi and Plo Koon would be unstoppable. Add in Dooku or Yoda or any other power house and that would be the best team I could think up on the spot.
    It is fairly accurate but there are a lot of gameplay related anomalies. Shaak Ti and Plo Koon are not in the game yet. Yoda just got released today but it is very hard to get (you need a whole Jedi Team). Obi-wan is only in the Old Ben version. They will release prequel Obi Wan soon. There are different versions of characters like Stormtrooper Han and Scoundrel Han. There are also generic characters like Jedi Consular (KOTOR inspired), Jawa, Coruscant Police etc

The best characters at the moment are Sidious, Luminara, Barris Offee and Dooku. But stats are always changing with characters nerfed and others improved. But there are lots of team synergies which can offset good characters. For example a droid team composed of HK-47, IG-86, IG-88, Poggle the Lesser and a healer like Old Daka absolutely carves up (even though by themselves the droids are terrible).

There are lots of EU references. Mace Windu is actually average but his special move is Shatterpoint and he uses Vaapad.

When did we get Malachor and Hammerheads? By Hammerheads do you mean Ithorians or space ships?
    Looking at episode 7 and 8 with the first Jedi temple thing they might retcon the Old Republic period altogether (why else would they declare it non-canon unless they were planning on doing something with the time period?). Most likely they will just make vague references to some characters or events but not explain anything about the old timeline. I'm expecting a couple stuff that will altogether contradict a major point in the old republic era timeline.

As far as KOTOR goes I was curious to see what Zayne Carrick was up to and how this would lead to the KOTOR games or after. If I had to guess Zayne would go on a few adventures, possibly enter into direct conflict with Revan and Malak and at some point down the line end up getting killed and having an epic hero's death. Really no idea how to end his character unless you want to have him survive the KOTOR games and help rebuild the Jedi Order.

[/SPOILER]

The Rebels Season 2 mid-season trailer has the rebels going to the planet Malachor which is damaged. Also we see Hammerhead frigates with the rebellion. And Ashoka says at the start 'there is always truth in legends'.

I don't think they are retconning the old republic any time soon. As long as TOR is ongoing they will stay clear. Apparently the TOR team which released a new expansion had to meet with the EP VII team and JJ to make sure they weren't doing anything that contradicts or too similar to EP VII. We don't know where the first jedi temple is. That planet could very well be Tython.

Now where Legacy is concerned I just don't know where to take this story anymore. What more could Cade Skywalker do? They beat Darth Krayt, the Sith were pretty much defeated and the Republic, Jedi Order and Empire entered into an alliance. Unless there was something I missed and an actual plot point that still needed to be resolved.

I was actually curious to see where the death of Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo and the Abeloth stuff would go. How Luke Skywalker would die, what more enemies Luke had to face and how this would connect with Cade Skywalker. Though honestly there seemed to have been nothing else that Luke and Jaina Solo could do seeing as everything from Lumiya and Caedus to the Yuuzhang Vong had been resolved hence why they used force entities and Abeloth as the next villain. I was actually never that curious as to Jaina's story but I guess she was okay (tough as nails she was).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This is how the Expanded Universe tied together.

http://gizmodo.com/computer-analysis...-th-1758242985

The Old Republic Era is the 3rd most important era in the EU, surpassing the other eras by a very wide margin.

Patrician

Tim Zahn is the master of the EU. His books bring so much richness, for many years they were considered the true sequels. Tarkin is actually part of the New Canon but it has so many links to the old canon as it is written by Luceno the EU reference king. Kemp was a new addition to the EU towards the end, the Deceived/Crosscurrent books were meant to be a trilogy showing what happened to Jaden Korr and the clones (this is another loose thread that will never get finished).

I really loved Aaron Allston and Michael Stackpole's X Wing books. They were absolutely top notch and so much fun. Plus great characters. Wraith Squadron was so cool. Karpyshyn is actually back working with Bioware on the Old Republic so who knows he may write some new books. I really like him.
    Funny you mentioned Jaden because I was just playing Jedi Academy. The Mother computer is also in the SWTOR game so that was a nice reference.
    X-Wing, Jedi Knight and I Jedi are books I should look at again just cause I remember how entertaining and good they could be and I barely remember them now.
    Wondering what Drew Karpyshyn is writing? How involved he is in KOTFE I mean.
    I bet ghost Revan will show up again to help you defeat Valkorion. I watched enough Star Gate (Morgan le Fay vs the Orisi) and Star Trek Next Generation/Deep Space 9 to know that only a divine being can defeat another divine being (sort of like the time Kenobi ghost stopped Palpatine ghost).

Honestly though I have a lot of reasons for disliking the Revan book. I think most people were disappointed that Revan wasn't uber powerful but in my opinion there are a lot more criticisms even in how the book itself was written and some things which I saw as poor plot points, story progression, character development, short unsatisfying length/epicness and story writing.
    I would write more about this when I have the time.
    I'm also not finished on Clone Wars and after that I guess I will write a bit of Clone Wars praise.

I'm actually not even a sci fi fan. Other than Dune and Star Wars I have never read any other sci fi. Prefer fantasy and non-fiction
    But star wars books and comics always had a place in my heart.
    I'm not a sci fi fan per se despite my having watched Star Trek, Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager (didn't really watch Enterprise). I also watched Star Gate and SG Atlantis as well as Firefly and some Farscape and Andromeda. I however never saw Doctor Who (handful of episodes), Babylon 5 or Battle Star Galactica.
    I prefer the action adventure and fantasy in the space setting and the old 1950's style space/sci fi/fantasy like Flash Gordon or John Carter of Mars or stuff which is based on that type of thing.

Really which bits did you think borrowed from the EU? I mean yeah the whole Jacen-Jaina parallel is pretty clear. But that was George Lucas' vision all along. To have the next generation of SkySolos battling it out. It's pretty clear that Rey (Jaina) is Luke's daughter and that she will fight Kylo (Jacen) who was corrupted by Snoke (Lumiya).

Exactly there was nothing new in the movie. And the starship battles were terrible, just a few fighters versing each other. No variety, no capital ships. I mean compared to the Ep III space battle they are just lame.
    Yeah the Jaina-Jacen angle is there. I think Snoke is more like a Valkorion/Abeloth type of thing. But I do see the Lumiya cult/corruption thing as well.
    The fact that Kylo Ren was smacking his wound seemingly to give himself power, this is justl ike how JAcen gained power through pain instead of rage and hate.
    I can't remember some of the similarities but the Starkiller Base is totally the Sun Crusher.
    I agree that Episode 3 had a better space battle just from visuals alone, I mean at least they had the little Jedi fighters, ARC fighters and all the frigates and capital ships. Can anyone believe that I just said a positive thing about the prequels? This was literally trench run reboot except instead of a small exhaust port it was a huge ing trench leading directly to the weak spot

I really loved the acrobatic battles in the prequels as opposed to the badly choreographed battles in the OT. So was disappointed to see Kylo just bashing around with his lightsaber and Rey fumbling her way. I wanted toIt is see lightsaber masters battling it out. Hopefully Luke will fight Snoke in some epic duel.
    Episode 1 and 3 had decent fights it's just that they were too long at times and did some ridiculous things that could never be done. Edit that stuff out and it would have worked. Episode 2 on the other hand had the most poorly choreographed fight I have ever seen, shot in a dark room and mostly from the waste up where you couldn't even see the fight. It was also not good action since they were mostly standing still and waving the swords at each other, foot work is important!

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    This is how the Expanded Universe tied together.

http://gizmodo.com/computer-analysis...-th-1758242985

The Old Republic Era is the 3rd most important era in the EU, surpassing the other eras by a very wide margin.
    It's funny how the Old Republic era is basically thousands of years between the creation of the Republic and the destruction of the New Sith Empire and yet it has fewer content when compared to the couple decades of Clone Wars and Empire. There is so much they could cover in Old Republic. I personally wouldn't mind a novelization or remastering of the Tales of the Jedi comic series with updated and consistent art and fixing a couple of inconsistencies in the story. As stupid as this may sound I used to think that Revan was the secret child of Ulic and Nomi which I suppose would explain why he was so damn powerful. Bastila was supposed to be Vima and looking at the source books it says that Vima was only 6 years older than Revan. Yet the fact that Vima and Nomi are nowhere to be seen in KOTOR is extremely odd. I think writing them as Revan's family would be a decent way to tie them into the story instead of just having them be forgotten for no reason. Not that I want to make the world smaller by making everyone related mind you.

But also all of the Sith Lords should get more coverage. Everything from Ajunta Pall to Vitiate and the Exar Kun, Freedon Nadd and Ulic pretend Sith. For example during the conflict between Ludo Kresh and Naga Sadow it was stated that Vitiate did not get involved but what if Vitiate actually convinced Naga Sadow to challenge Ludo Kresh knowing that Naga Sadow would invade the Republic, get wrecked and then grab the whole Empire practically effortlessly. Or what if he was the one that got Naga Sadow's apprentice to turn on his master. It was also said that Dark Lord Marka Ragnos recognized Vitiate's power and gave him control over his own planet, would be interesting to know exactly what Marka Ragnos was thinking and exactly how strong Vitiate was in comparison to Marka Ragnos.

While I personally would not touch the Darth Bane Trilogy I think there is room for improvement in the New Sith Wars. Why it was that Darth Ruin left the Jedi and reignited the Sith Empire and its conflicts. The New Sith Wars comics had average art in my opinion, the weird Narnia fantasy armour looked as if it didn't fit (also why use spears??? Narnia goatmen???) to me and so I didn't like the settings and style. I think they should re-novelize everything before the Darth Bane trilogy and give us the whole history of the New Sith Wars. Keep most of the ideas from the comic the same but fix some of the flaws and give us better character development.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 11, 2016 at 12:47 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

It's funny how the Old Republic era is basically thousands of years between the creation of the Republic and the destruction of the New Sith Empire and yet it has fewer content when compared to the couple decades of Clone Wars and Empire. There is so much they could cover in Old Republic. I personally wouldn't mind a novelization or remastering of the Tales of the Jedi comic series with updated and consistent art and fixing a couple of inconsistencies in the story. As stupid as this may sound I used to think that Revan was the secret child of Ulic and Nomi which I suppose would explain why he was so damn powerful. Bastila was supposed to be Vima and looking at the source books it says that Vima was only 6 years older than Revan. Yet the fact that Vima and Nomi are nowhere to be seen in KOTOR is extremely odd. I think writing them as Revan's family would be a decent way to tie them into the story instead of just having them be forgotten for no reason. Not that I want to make the world smaller by making everyone related mind you.
    No. Every time they tried to add to Revan's story they screwed him up. They should completely rewrite the Revan novel, if anything.

But also all of the Sith Lords should get more coverage. Everything from Ajunta Pall to Vitiate and the Exar Kun, Freedon Nadd and Ulic pretend Sith. For example during the conflict between Ludo Kresh and Naga Sadow it was stated that Vitiate did not get involved but what if Vitiate actually convinced Naga Sadow to challenge Ludo Kresh knowing that Naga Sadow would invade the Republic, get wrecked and then grab the whole Empire practically effortlessly. Or what if he was the one that got Naga Sadow's apprentice to turn on his master. It was also said that Dark Lord Marka Ragnos recognized Vitiate's power and gave him control over his own planet, would be interesting to know exactly what Marka Ragnos was thinking and exactly how strong Vitiate was in comparison to Marka Ragnos.
    Well now you have to take into account the whole point that Vitiate's Sith Empire over the 1200-ish years of it having disappeared was merely a sideshow for his Eternal Empire, a story which still needs to be finished.

While I personally would not touch the Darth Bane Trilogy I think there is room for improvement in the New Sith Wars. Why it was that Darth Ruin left the Jedi and reignited the Sith Empire and its conflicts. The New Sith Wars comics had average art in my opinion, the weird Narnia fantasy armour looked as if it didn't fit (also why use spears??? Narnia goatmen???) to me and so I didn't like the settings and style. I think they should re-novelize everything before the Darth Bane trilogy and give us the whole history of the New Sith Wars. Keep most of the ideas from the comic the same but fix some of the flaws and give us better character development.
    Yeah a lot of that comic could be improved.

Patrician

At first I thought the Knights of Ren were actually the Order of Revan.
    The hilarious thing is way back when I played KOTOR I named my guy "Ren Var Qel-Droma".

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

One of my biggest gripes about the new movie was that there were no memorable soundtracks from it. The whole thing sounded like John Williams doing the absolute best he could with a JJ Abrams film (which he was).

Compare that to Knights of the Fallen Empire:

And the best:

Episode VII sounded like the same 3 songs over and over. This (and the rest of its soundtrack) have a lot of variety.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; February 11, 2016 at 06:17 PM.

Patrician

No. Every time they tried to add to Revan's story they screwed him up. They should completely rewrite the Revan novel, if anything.
    I agree they should just forget the Revan book was ever written and write a trilogy of books that go into Revan's struggle with the True Sith Empire. Give us all the previous characters, an awesome conflict, great new characters, actually make the Exile and Revan good characters and make it epic as hell. They should also write a series of books to give us the events of the Mandalorian Wars, Revan's fall and the KOTOR games. I'm tired of seeing the Mandalorian Wars through the perspective of Zayne Carrick, not that I have an issue with Zayne but come on if you have the choice of Zayne (at the bottom) and Revan (way at the top of the war) I think the answer is obvious. They could also fix some inconsistencies in KOTOR 2 but leave it mostly the same.

One of my biggest gripes about the new movie was that there were no memorable soundtracks from it. The whole thing sounded like John Williams doing the absolute best he could with a JJ Abrams film (which he was).
    I agree episode 7 had like one new track which was Rey's theme and everything else was music we already heard. Even the Snoke theme which sounded familiar was actually the Plagueis theme in Revenge of the Sith.
    KOTFE though that music when you see Valkorion for the first time and I'm like holy that's the Emperor/Dark Lord of the Sith and the music basically gave me the chills.

I also played the newest KOTFE chapter, Kaliyo doesn't talk about the fight club.
    Am I the only one who thinks Vaylin and Arcann do incest? Every time I see them in the same scene I get that vibe and it's really creepy.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Well, to be fair Williams health hasn't been very good (he couldn't score Bridge of Spies because of it). Though, I'm actually a really big fan of March of the Resistance and Jedi Steps.

There just aren't any big songs that tell a story like the battle of Yavin or Hoth, sadly.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?