Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How you know RT is pure propaganda...

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Default How you know RT is pure propaganda...

Look at the difference in reporting of this one event:

Russia Today: http://rt.com/news/168176-iraq-isis-planes-bomb/ - All but blaming the US

The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...b-iraq-isis-us - Maliki, PM of Iraq, says Syria did it

BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28033684

CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/syria-l...rder-1.2687972

France24: http://www.france24.com/en/20140626-...ilitants-isis/

Al Arabiya: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News...ombs-Iraq.html

Notice a difference?

By the way the Russia Today site has not updated for the change.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Default Re: How you know RT is pure propaganda...

Err... The first RT link does not blame the US. It simply reports that the US denies it bombed.

And yeah. It was Syria. And America is angry, because only they're allowed to bomb Iraq.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Yep, the difference is pretty stark I'd say. However, to be slightly fair, after hinting it was the US, RT did mention how Al-Arabiya said it could have been Syria doing the bombing, according to "tribal chiefs" and, you know, not Nouri al-Maliki himself as all the other articles report, with quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by wilpuri View Post
    Err... The first RT link does not blame the US. It simply reports that the US denies it bombed.

And yeah. It was Syria. And America is angry, because only they're allowed to bomb Iraq.
    The article is clearly spun to put suspicion on the US.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    The article is clearly spun to put suspicion on the US.
    Perhaps, but perhaps there were grounds for suspicion?

Anyway, RT looks like propaganda because it comes from the other side of the fence. Its perhaps a bit cruder than the propaganda spewed out on Western channels, but not much.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Anyway, RT looks like propaganda because it comes from the other side of the fence. Its perhaps a bit cruder than the propaganda spewed out on Western channels, but not much.
    Being most western media outlets like to go out of their way and often will unfairly criticize their own governments/military I would have to say no, this isn't a game of relativism.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

http://www.kommersant.com/page.asp?id=619775

Old article, but RT has been for a while now. Reporters Without Borders have even realized that.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Al Arabiya is Saudi, not Western and it agreed with Western Reports. Daily Star (Lebanese) had basically the same story was the Western reports.

And when you say X denies something, its a roundabout way to blame them. Like saying Scarlett Johansen Died; President Obama Denies Responsibility.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Al Arabiya is Saudi, not Western and it agreed with Western Reports. Daily Star (Lebanese) had basically the same story was the Western reports.

And when you say X denies something, its a roundabout way to blame them. Like saying Scarlett Johansen Died; President Obama Denies Responsibility.
    Well if Obama wasn't guilty of murdering Johansson then he shouldn't have come out and said anything about it in the first place!

But Roma_Victrix, be reasonable, there were lots of people going around accusing Obama of this...without any evidence or even rationality, of course.

SILENCE! OR IT SHALL BE NO MORE FUN FOR YOU. ONLY SIBERIA.

Gatsby's Avatar Punctual Romantic

B-b-b-b-but the MSM is bad mmmkay.
    You'll have more fun at a Glasgow stabbing than an Edinburgh wedding.

Under the patronage of the mighty Dante von Hespburg

RT is biased against the US at the moment. So what? They just assumed US was likely behind it (which isn't unreasonable if you're not an expert on the situation), they didn't lie or something.

Being most western media outlets like to go out of their way and often will unfairly criticize their own governments/military I would have to say no, this isn't a game of relativism.
    Apples and oranges. Internal, criticism against a nation's government is one thing, media wars between nation states is something else entirely.
    Last edited by Nikitn; June 26, 2014 at 12:11 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

The fact America isn't bombing Iraq is a goddamn travesty.

I PAY MY TAXES DAMN IT!
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikitn View Post
    Apples and oranges. Internal, criticism against a nation's government is one thing, media wars between nation states is something else entirely.
    So RT is the mouthpiece of mother Russia?

My shameful truth.

So RT is the mouthpiece of mother Russia?
    The point is that the press naturally tends to take the side of their own country in a serious international conflict (us vs them). So due to the Ukraine circus RT provides biased coverage on the US just like CNN does on Russia.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Today they are really going to town on how "painful" the EU Association Agreement will be for Ukraine. In spite of all the evidence to the contrary. Irish exports have grown from €8 billion to €80 billion since the 1980's. The Latvian economy is 40% larger and the Estonian one (despite higher unemployment) 33% bigger. The Irish economy is 8% the size of the Russian economy with only 3% of its population. The Customs Union is worth €2.9 trillion compared to the EU's €17 trillion.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; June 27, 2014 at 02:36 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

All media do propaganda.

Not all media, and most countries don't try to close down all dissenting media outlets and forums, commercial or private.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Indefinitely Banned

of course RT is propaganda; what do you think CNN, MSNBC and Al JAzeera are? objective?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Today they are really going to town on how "painful" the EU Association Agreement will be for Ukraine. In spite of all the evidence to the contrary. Irish exports have grown from €8 billion to €80 billion since the 1980's. The Latvian economy is 40% larger and the Estonian one (despite higher unemployment) 33% bigger. The Irish economy is 8% the size of the Russian economy with only 3% of its population. The Customs Union is worth €2.9 trillion compared to the EU's €17 trillion.
    Now take a look on the situation in those countries before signing the agreement, and compare it to the mess Ukraine is in.

anti-MSM'ers don't know the meaning of neutrality, obviously, and they humorously believe op-ed vitriol can actually pass off for front page articles in any respectable outlet.

please do send me a PM whenever CNN and co. start referring to the separatists as "terrorists", "radicals", "human scum" etc, to mirror RT's insanely unprofessional and juvenile rhetoric.

also does anyone remember how RT reported on the death of the Ukrainian soldier outside of the research center in Crimea? other outlets were mentioning key facts that incriminated Russia. you think any of these things were in the RT version? nope. RT is only an outlet that serves to whitewash Russia and these guys that think themselves 'edgy' or 'revolutionary' because they don't follow MSM but instead follow this garbage, they make me laugh. take a basic journalism class sometime.
    Last edited by snuggans; June 27, 2014 at 05:53 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast