Thread: Why the Cards will beat the Tigers

Default Why the Cards will beat the Tigers

Why the Cards will win the World Series
    Story Tools:
    Print Email Blog This Subscribe
    Kevin Hench / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 6 hours ago

Yes, it's true the National League has not won a single World Series game in three years.

And, yes, it's also true that the Senior Circuit's representative in this year's World Series won a whopping 83 games during the regular season.
    And, yes, the National League champs went 5-10 in interleague play, losing eight straight at one point, including getting swept by the American League champion Tigers. All valid points.

So why are the St. Louis Cardinals going to win the World Series? Because nobody is giving them a chance. Talk about no pressure. (Seems like the last time I heard a team had absolutely no shot in a playoff series this October was when the Tigers squared off against the Yankees.)

When sports talk radio hosts start saying things like the NL champs couldn't beat the best team in Triple A, well, it's time to bring a little sanity back to the discussion.

Here are 10 reasons why the Cardinals will win their first World Series since 1982.

1. Fat Albert
    Tweaked hammy or not, the Cardinals are led by the best player in baseball. The Tigers may have a deeper lineup, but Albert Pujols is capable of winning at least one game all by himself.

2. Diamond Jim
    The Cardinals lost to the Tigers in the 1968 World Series, when Curt Flood misplayed a fly ball in Game 7. There have been very few center fielders in the history of baseball better than Curt Flood. One of them is Jim Edmonds. He will make one game-saving play in spacious Comerica Park.

3. The Big Red 3
    Everyone assumes the Tigers have this insurmountable edge in pitching. But here's a news flash for all the haters: Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright of the vanquished Mets are more dangerous than their counterparts on the Tigers. Chris Carpenter is 51-18 the last three years with a 3.10 ERA. NLCS Most Valuable Player Jeff Suppan is 44-26 over the last three years, but more importantly he has a 2.05 ERA in his last nine starts in September and October. And as for Jeff Weaver, not only does he have a 2.16 ERA in these playoffs, but can you guess where his best start as an Angel was this season? Yup. At Comerica on May 3. Weaver went 7.1 innings, allowing five hits and two runs.

4. Designated Duncan
    Usually the National League team gets crushed by the DH rule in AL parks. They have to trot out some bench player while the A.L. champ employs a slugger like David Ortiz. But this year the Cardinals will actually benefit from the designated hitter. Chris Duncan has been riding the pine in the NLCS — though he did deliver a pinch-hit home run — but now the Cards rookie slugger (.293, 22 HRs) and his .952 OPS will give the St. Louis lineup some extra pop in Detroit.

5. The Men in the Pen
    While Joel Zumaya, Fernando Rodney, Jamie Walker and Todd Jones have rightly received mountains of praise for their critical role in the Tigers' success, the Cardinals' anonymous relievers have been every bit as good in the postseason. In fact, Adam Wainwright, Josh Kinney, Randy Flores and Tyler Johnson have yet to allow an earned run in their 23 appearances. That's pretty good, right? Anyone who doubts Wainwright's stones as a closer should take another look at that 0-2 curve that froze Beltran to end the NLCS.

6. Karma Cards
    Bad luck can't last forever. The Cards got jobbed outright in 1985 by first base ump Don Denkinger. Then they lost Terry Pendleton and Jack Clark to injury before bowing out to the Twins in the 1987 Series. And while they got swept in 2004 by the Red Sox, they lost Game 1 on a home run off the fair pole. The Redbirds are due for a break.

7. Not-So-Jolly Rogers
    Despite his incredible postseason run (15 scoreless innings), Kenny Rogers is not Sandy Koufax. The 41-year-old Gambler is due to crap out. And when the guy who entered this postseason with an 8.86 playoff ERA resurfaces, you might want to give him a wide berth.

8. Scott rollin'
    The bad news for the Cardinals was that Endy Chavez made one of the greatest clutch defensive plays in baseball history off Scott Rolen, turning a home run into a double play. The bad news for the Tigers is that Rolen looks to have rediscovered his stroke.

9. The Ecks factor
    David Eckstein is a gnat that will not stop bothering you. When he gets two strikes, the fun is just beginning. Eckstein will have at least one double-digit pitch at-bat that will end with him on base and a Tiger pitcher demoralized. And won't it be nice to know for sure that at least one player on the World Champions is not allegedly on Human Growth Hormone?

10. Call it runners in Spiezio position
    In Scott Spiezio, the Cardinals have the only player in big league history to get 15 hits in his first 21 postseason at bats with runners in scoring position. I don't have to look this up. Ty Cobb, Rogers Hornsby or Babe Ruth. No one else could ever have possibly had 15 knocks in 21 ABs with RISP in the playoffs before. That's a .714 average if you're scoring at home.

When the Angels were down 5-0 and facing elimination in Game 6 of the 2002 World Series, Spiezio lifted them off the map against the Giants with his three-run home run off Felix Rodriguez. His timely hitting delivered the Cardinals in Games 2 and 3 of the NLCS. Expect Mr. Clutch to deliver yet another game-winner in the Series. (Scott's dad, Ed Spiezio, hit 1.000 in the 1968 Series, rapping a pinch single in his only at-bat.)

Kevin Hench is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com.
    I'm liking this more every minute.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Default Re: Why the Cards will beat the Tigers

Well, I'm thinkin' that El Tigres are gonna' win it in game 7. But one thing we can agree on, that it will be an amazing world series.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

Lol, Cards beating the tigers. Tigers win in 4, I'm telling you. It's their year, they were the bandwagaon team all year long, so.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

One word to contradict your claim Ulyaoth.

And that is "Royals"

tco's Avatar Ducenarius

So Corporal Hicks we were right Cards and Tigers. Well I like the Cards chances, go cards. Especially with Sup and Weaver pitching really good, Cards in 7.

tigers take it. they have had a weeks rest and the cards have not. Making their pitching less effective. Poo poo bear did nothing versus the mets in the playoffs.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

I don't want to brag or declare victory this early. But now you see that we mean buisiness and won't go quietly into the night.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

who won??? i've been sucked into football all day.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Cardinals won 7 to 2 in game 1. AT Detroit.

series tied 1-1. Oh man this is gonna be close.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    -Mark Twain

Ulyaoth's Avatar Truly a God Amongst Men

naw, Tigers were just being nice, time for them to crush the puny NL team.
    I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

Under the Patronage of the Almighty Justinian

Not so fast, cocky man. You have to face two of the best Pitchers in the National League first. I can see the Cards taking the next two games throwing Suppan and Carpenter. The Tigers aren't throwing their talent against them, No idea why. I'm hoping we can take all three home games and call it a series, but This may just end up a 7 game series.

Looks like I will be eating some nice toasty crow...
    -Mark Twain

Why do I have such a difficult time giving a flying crap about baseball?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

wow, so glad I didn't bet this world series...

The tigers played horrible and the cards capitalized on it.
    -Mark Twain

Because, Justinian, you're gay.

Now go play soccer and leave this thread be.

I hate to say it, but "Told you so"

Katrina's Avatar Brrrrrrr...

Ahem...unbehalf of the Cardinals, let us not even start the trolling.

So what's the update on the world series? The last thing I heard was that there was a rained out game. Have they played yet? Has somebody won yet? Sheesh, should I even be asking this?

The Cards won Four games to One.

Get with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Hicks
    Because, Justinian, you're gay.

Now go play soccer and leave this thread be.

I hate to say it, but "Told you so"

Well, the Cards won, so now no more baseball talk and we can all get back to waiting for the Superbowl and watching soccer.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Damn cardinals.

JETS JETS JETS.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder