Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New WWII Movie: Fury

Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: New WWII Movie: Fury

And from what I can tell, that's the gun being used by the tank in the trailer.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

As far as I can tell its an M4E8 "Easy Eight". So there's nothing wrong with it fighting Tigers and Panthers in the movie. You probably wouldn't want to do that in a M4A3.

The fact they're using the last real tiger in filming the movie is great. Every other movie fakes them.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

It's actually supposed to be an M4A3E8. AFAIK, the E8 designation refers to M4s that have been given the upgraded HVSS suspension, allowing for more armor and the better gun. IMDB says the tank used in the movie is actually an M4A2E8. The A2s weren't actually used by the US Army, but they are pretty much indistinguishable from the A3 so it works.
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

People need to make more movies about less known conflicts, certains have no movies about them not even documentaries. Its a shame. People need to make use of all the footage of these conflicts and make decent documetaries and not just another bland ww1/2 documentary.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I agree, I liked the idea of that film about the Soviet tank crew in Afghanistan.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Comes Domesticorum

The movie was better than the trailer shows

The Beast of War - trailer: http://youtu.be/PxS3CL-IewY

flota's Avatar Tiro

At that range doesn't the 88 would have penetrated the firefly?
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comes Domesticorum

What range? Armor and ballistics are a bit more complicated than armor thickness and penetration values, meaning even a short range shot can glance off a surface if poorly aimed or poorly shot.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Not necessary, as some people mentioned, we are just tired of seeing the same theater of war from the American side, they rarely if ever make any movies that take place in Sicily, Italy or Africa from the American side.

The reason is, as best I can guess, because most people don't know of the actual history of the war that well, i.e., they don't know we landed in Africa and then Italy before going (from France) to Germany, but they do know of D-Day and they know we invaded Germany. Invading Germany itself is what carries the most weight, the most prestige, and what even the least knowledgeable person knows happened. So, that means that most people, Americans most especially, relate to the battlefields of France and Germany.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

flota's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    What range? Armor and ballistics are a bit more complicated than armor thickness and penetration values, meaning even a short range shot can glance off a surface if poorly aimed or poorly shot.
    Well it looked like at much ten meters from each other tank
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comes Domesticorum

Which shot are we talking about? There's one where it seems it hits the front wheel which probably knocks it out and makes the Sherman immobile, while the other shot that seems to explode on the Sherman's front towards the end of the trailer doesn't seem like it was coming from a Tiger.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Catch 22 was about Italy.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

I'm really looking forward to this movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Looks pretty good. Follows an American tank crew in Europe. Definitely a new take with the fact that they're on tankers rather than your standard infantry fare. Even if the theater is once again Europe I think I like the look of it. Also, I'm sure there is going to be a bunch of whiners complaining it's another movie about Americans, but seriously that complaint is as tired as you think these movies are. So I'll just get ahead of it before I hear it-- the movie is made by an American company so it's unsurprisingly about Americans. So keep the crying down.
    No need to cry, there are enough movies and tv series that show the war from a German PoV.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    The fact they're using the last real tiger in filming the movie is great. Every other movie fakes them.
    All but one. Theirs is the glory(1946) features a Tiger tank in running condition. Iirc it's the same tank as the one in Fury, Tiger 131 from Bovington.

There's some nonsens in this thread that I should adress but I'm too lazy right now. Maybe tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jagdpanzer; August 05, 2014 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Catch 22 was about Italy.
    Underrated film in my opinion, though I think it would work better as a tv-series. Catch-22 is my all time favorite book and I think Alan Arkin did a great job at Yossarian, hence my avatar picture

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Comes Domesticorum

One of the movies I used to watch growing up was about Italy too, "Anzio" with Robert Mitchum. It wasn't a very good movie looking back, though, but it wasn't terrible either.

I see no reason to whine about it. Anyone can identify with a struggle regardless of nationality or historical side if the writing is good. I'll definitely want to watch this at some point if possible. I haven't seen a movie focused around a tank crew before.

Yeah I look forward to this. I like the fact that there's no "based on a true story" tagline around this. I know that's how Hollywood likes to add some extra relevance to war movies but I think one can make interesting and compelling war stories without it having to be based on someone's memoirs. Making something ficticious also gives you more freedom to take the story in different ways without stepping on some toes while doing it....but since it's a WWII flick about tanks, we all know them Internetexperts will holler and shout till their throats bleed anyway

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

It's going to be the first contemporary (modern, since forever) war movie with a genuine Tiger tank featuring Totally dope for me.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Looks boring.

The film is set during the last months of World War II in April 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theater, a battle-hardened U.S. Army sergeant in the 2nd Armored Division named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands aSherman tank called "Fury" and its five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Outnumbered and outgunned, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.[1]
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR