Thread: Was it normal to buy huge amounts of lands from other factions?

Default Was it normal to buy huge amounts of lands from other factions?

So I'm having a role-playing issue about buying lands from the other factions. Usually, when I want some of the lands of another faction but I don't want to go to war against them, I simply send a diplomat to buy the lands. I know it would be cheaper to train an army and just take the settlements by force, but sometimes I use money cheats so this isn't a problem, and also, because of roleplay and personal preferences, I prefer to do it in peaceful ways. But then the question arises: is this realistic? Could such things really happen in Antiquity? I don't want to play in an unrealistic way, so I decided to ask here.

Default Re: Was it normal to buy huge amounts of lands from other factions?

I dont think i ever heard of land being bought with money.
    It doesnt even make sense.The concept is a lot simpler in the game(for a lot of reasons) but in real life i dont see it happening.

There are examples of regions being taken without a fight.
    For example Rhodos was never attacked by Rome(i dont think so anyway), they were allies/client and then became part of the empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect of Doom View Post
    .................. but sometimes I use money cheats so this isn't a problem.................... is this realistic? Could such things really happen in Antiquity?..................
    Cheating the mechanics is what destroys the realism...

I'm also rather stunned that you're not already at war with your neighbours - it is simply a part of the TW concept that they all go to war with you whether you wish it or not! One of the things I rather liked about Rome2 was actual periods of peace!

Normally in antiquity it's the other way around - the land/county 'pays' (in some way) NOT to be invaded. Trade -> influence -> diplomacy -> client state -> annex; or, you just go conquer them like Caesar and his chums.

For my part - don't 'cheat' - you're just cheating yourself. Gaming war <> reality.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Cheating the mechanics is what destroys the realism...

I'm also rather stunned that you're not already at war with your neighbours - it is simply a part of the TW concept that they all go to war with you whether you wish it or not! One of the things I rather liked about Rome2 was actual periods of peace!

Normally in antiquity it's the other way around - the land/county 'pays' (in some way) NOT to be invaded. Trade -> influence -> diplomacy -> client state -> annex; or, you just go conquer them like Caesar and his chums.

For my part - don't 'cheat' - you're just cheating yourself. Gaming war <> reality.
    You have convinced me to play legitimately. So far, I was only willing to play without cheats on the upcoming EB2, but after your comment, I will no longer use any cheats on any campaign. Sorry for my sins.

You have also convinced me to play much more aggressively for now on. Thanks for the advise.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    I dont think i ever heard of land being bought with money.
    It doesnt even make sense.The concept is a lot simpler in the game(for a lot of reasons) but in real life i dont see it happening.

There are examples of regions being taken without a fight.
    For example Rhodos was never attacked by Rome(i dont think so anyway), they were allies/client and then became part of the empire.
    That's pretty much what it will look like in RTW, the only other way to do it is to just force the AI to hand it over via the mod...