Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the AI played like a human....

Default If the AI played like a human....

To put it more detailed, if the AI played like the average TATW player....which faction would you fear the most going into a campaign? How would your usual game plan change up?

Of course this all depends on what faction you choose, but I expect this to create some interesting conversations as well as exchange battle and game strategies

For example, if I was an evil faction I would be most frightened of Rohan. For this faction to be self aware of its cavalry power and have to go up AGAINST it.....I shudder to think of a task

Default Re: If the AI played like a human....

Mordor, Isengard, Rhun and Harad all have anti-cavalry infantry.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Evil... Gondor, much stronger cavalry power than Rohan, BG stacks... auch. HE, have you ever played HE and buildt their top-tier units? They mow down EVERYTHING.

Good... hard to say, Harad (Mümakil + cav BG), Rhûn (balanced roster and cav BG) and Mordor (Olog Hai) are all dangerous.

Note that I play MOS mostly, a bit of DaC lately, never Vanilla.

I would be scared as Harad if the Ai play Gondor the way I play. I tend to Rush Harad with generals and Haradrim spearmen don't seem to be able to handle the charge of Gondor BG.

Hugyfew's Avatar Libertus

We should remember that our allies would also act like a human. So Gondor may be tough in battles, but easy on the campaign map (Harad/Mordor giving you a hand).

I say Rohan. Not only do they have strong cavalry, they won't have such a hard time getting them like Gondor.

"We all may be individuals, but there are things all individuals have in common"
    -LuckyPistol, 2014

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

I'd say the Dwarves. A Dwarven faction aware of its power, of the fact that it can wait in cities like until the last turn to sally out, that makes for quite a lot of strategic options. And have you tried assaulting Dwarven cities held by a small but tough Dwarven army? Impossibru!

The orcs would be swarmed by the elves, which would give time for Dwarves to slowly but steadily develop a world-conquering force. Mordor cannot withstand the Dwarven fury, not if the Dwarves hold the whole North of the ME.

As a note, Gondor is still my favorite faction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Thread Title
    If the AI played like a human......
    ..It wouldn't be a Total War AI.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't know really but on the flip side I wouldn't like to be Rohan. All those factions surrounding you, once you're knocked out Gondor is easy pickings after the Osgiliath front isn't the only way of holding back the enemy.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    Mordor, Isengard, Rhun and Harad all have anti-cavalry infantry.
    Yes, but the AI would know this in this scenario, wouldn't it?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

it depends on the player, I steamroll with everything

jokes apart it's hard to say, probably all factions with large starting armies or cheap/easy to recruit 1st tier units; if the AI plays like a (good) player, with all the bonuses the AI gets with money, it could be unbeatable

have you considered asking the opinion of the multiplayer community? they surely have a better knowledge over fighting a human opponent (though they have some strict rules so it's not exactely the same as playing a regular campaign)

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Also, what kind of "human player"? It can range from 'Veteran of Total War from Shogun I to Rome II' to 'Shooter-loving kid that has never played a strategy game before and got attracted by the shiny units'. Although the actual AI seems to lean towards the second..

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Bladvak View Post
    I'd say the Dwarves. A Dwarven faction aware of its power, of the fact that it can wait in cities like until the last turn to sally out, that makes for quite a lot of strategic options. And have you tried assaulting Dwarven cities held by a small but tough Dwarven army? Impossibru!

The orcs would be swarmed by the elves, which would give time for Dwarves to slowly but steadily develop a world-conquering force. Mordor cannot withstand the Dwarven fury, not if the Dwarves hold the whole North of the ME.

As a note, Gondor is still my favorite faction.
    I agree. Totally the dwarves. I'm always extremely careful when facing a full-stack of them in open field and my regular stack wont do, I had to bring a specific anti-dwarve one filled with anti armor units, especially javelin throwers. But if I have to take a settlement from them... it's TOTAL HELL!!! Some of their elite infantries on the walls or guarding choke points can totally kick off tons of units.

I think elven faction may give similar problem, but no elven faction gave me so much trouble like the dwarves did. Maybe elves have such high recruit time and low availability that when I defeat a full stack of them it would take a while to them to bring something good again, not like the dwarves who appears to out heavy units.

Probably the Silvans. As a human they would own Moria very quickly then use the money to field unkillable archer stacks backed with heavy spears.

I would actually prefer a human opponent playing Rhun, Mordor, or Harad after turn 80. Dat stack spam...

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Also, what kind of "human player"? It can range from 'Veteran of Total War from Shogun I to Rome II' (..)
    Did somebody call me?

Oh wait, I didn't actually play Rome II.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Also, what kind of "human player"? It can range from 'Veteran of Total War from Shogun I to Rome II' to 'Shooter-loving kid that has never played a strategy game before and got attracted by the shiny units'. Although the actual AI seems to lean towards the second..

LP wrote;
    if the AI played like the average TATW player....

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    LP wrote;
    Do we have any figures on the 'average player', if such a thing exists?

Me I believe, there are some things I am good at, other things I am not so good, and some that I am really good at. But TATW, I believe I am pretty average. Now stop mincing words and answer the question ;-) (inserting a smiley, for it is not harshly meant).

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

An 'average player' I would without any fuzz define as someone with more strategic and tactical capacity than the AI. That should suffice for even the most cynical, hehe

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    To put it more detailed, if the AI played like the average TATW player....which faction would you fear the most going into a campaign? How would your usual game plan change up?

Of course this all depends on what faction you choose, but I expect this to create some interesting conversations as well as exchange battle and game strategies

For example, if I was an evil faction I would be most frightened of Rohan. For this faction to be self aware of its cavalry power and have to go up AGAINST it.....I shudder to think of a task
    if the AI would act like an average player you would lose the game in the first turn

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

A good player can make any faction fearsome. It's not impossible either. Go check out the hotseat forum if you haven't already done so. Once you play against human players, you'll never go back to the AI!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast