Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: [Download] Authentic Ancient World 0.05

Default Re: Welcome to Authentic Ancient World's Brand New Hosted Forum!

I'm anxious to get started. Glad to see the forum.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Thanks guys, I am also very excited about the hosting today.

Give me a few days to set this forum up, to sort out the permission group for us and we will be ready to finally start working on this exciting project.

PS: Tomorrow, I will hopefully have the time to present more good news (cue: music). Stay tuned!

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by alecwermuth View Post
    Thanks guys, I am also very excited about the hosting today.

Give me a few days to set this forum up, to sort out the permission group for us and we will be ready to finally start working on this exciting project.

PS: Tomorrow, I will hopefully have the time to present more good news (cue: music). Stay tuned!
    Congratulations on getting your own hosted forum!!, Its great to see this mod getting a lot of the recognition it deserves,
    The Rome II modding scene is really exploding right now

Icon2 [Downloads] Authentic Ancient World (Updated 05/06/2014)

Download Links: Full Version
    Here you can find the full version of Authentic Ancient World compiled and recommended by its developers:

Authentic Ancient World v0.00
    - coming soon -

Download Links: Authentic Ancient World Modules
    Here you can find all released elements of Authentic Ancient World in a modular format. Bold font marks elements that are included in the full version shown above.

UI
    Macedon Themed UI
    >> Alexander Load Screens 1
    >> Alexander Load Screens 2

Download Links: Authentic Ancient World Modules (Beta)
    Here you can find all beta elements of Authentic Ancient World which are meant for beta testers and people interested to get their hands on unreleased content.

Beta Elements
    - coming soon -

How to install Authentic Ancient World?
    Here you can find some quick overviews about how to best install and use Authentic Ancient World.

Full Authentic Ancient World Experience
    1.) Simply download the latest version of Authentic Ancient World which can be found above.
    Partial or Tweaked Authentic Ancient World Experience
    1.) Search the Authentic Ancient World collection
    2.) Subscribe to desired elements
    3.) Start the game
    Single Elements for Rome II and Third Party Modifications
    1.) Search the Authentic Ancient World collection
    2.) Subscribe to desired elements
    3.) Check if the game loads properly
    4.) Check if the desired elements appear in game
    Single Elements for Rome II and Third-Party Modifications: Troubleshooting (Advanced Users)
    Most probably there will be an equal amount of elements that work and that do not work with third-party modifications. If desired elements do not appear in game or just partially you need to open the PFM editor and check if your currently installed modifications include renamed tables that differ from the Rome II default and avoid the overriding of those by the naming differences. Authentic Ancient World does only override files that are still named by default. If the game doesn't start at all, than the desired elements are unfortunately not compatible with the currently installed modifications and need to be modified first to match the third-party formats. There is a Authentic Ancient World sub-forum specifically designed to offer developers to present their sub-modifications. Feel free to post Authentic Ancient World modules you tweaked to be compatible with third-party content in there as well.
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 10, 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Thanks! It's good to see that the modding scene for Rome II is making solid progress. I believe with CA releasing more modding tools, we can in future do more awesome magic to Rome II. I am also very happy that developers are very collaborative and open to exchange content and help each other out for the greater good.

I am also regularly keeping an eye out for your Age of Bronze modification.

Keep up the good work there,
    Alec

Icon4 [Collaboration] Recruitment, Open Tasks and Permissions

Everything around Collaboration
    Here you can find everything around collaboration from recruiting, open tasks to permissions to make use of our work.

Recruitment
    We do want to make Authentic Ancient World as deep and immersive as it can get. Therefore we are always looking for:

• (!) Artists
    • (!) Musicians
    • (!) Writers
    • Administrators
    • Beta Testers
    • Community Managers
    • Designers (Artwork, Photoshop)
    • DB Editors
    • Modelers & Texturers
    • Researchers
    • Scriptors
    • Video Artists (Intros, Trailers)

Note: You do NOT have to become part of our standing crew to contribute to the cause. Take a look at the open community projects.
    Open Tasks
    Sometimes, while we are working on Authentic Ancient World we do discover aspects that exceed our current resources, but are perfectly suited to become future community projects. Those aspects will be presented in a To-Do List which we will be updating continuously. If you see anything you find exciting and which does suit your skills, please feel free to take over those jobs. We definitely do want those tasks to be implemented sooner and later, since those aspects would make a great addition to the depth and immersion level of Authentic Ancient World. We do want Authentic Ancient World do become one of the most artistic, authentic, deep and immersive modifications, not only for you people out there, but also because we do want to play our own modification, embrace its world and be able to say: "That is exactly how we wanted it to be!" Look for open community projects here.
    Permissions
    Our work is open source, if you want to use anything from Authentic Ancient World feel free to do so. However, please take your time to drop a few lines into our forum about what and where you are going to use it, as a symbol of acknowledgement.

Note: If you are looking for music, skins, models and textures, there is a great chance that those are copyrighted and need the permission of the creators to be used anywhere else than in Authentic Ancient World. You can find a list of the third-party content that is included in Authentic Ancient World here.
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 12, 2014 at 04:54 AM.

Barune's Avatar Miles

Huzzah! Congratz everyone on our hosted forum! Soon the real work will begin!

Default [Previews] Authentic Ancient World Preview Collection

Design and Music Previews

Authentic Ancient World: UI Design

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?655081

Authentic Ancient World: Artwork & Signatures

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?655359
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 10, 2014 at 09:33 PM.

Icon3 [Creative] The "Post your Authentic Ancient World..."-Thread

And finally this is our creative corner! Hurray, a place for developers and the community to be free. Just let your content and ideas flow. Use this as a crazy melting pot and post your Authentic Ancient World...:

• Artwork
    • Bug Reports
    • Criticisms
    • Empires
    • Feedback
    • Humor
    • Ideas
    • Projects
    • Quotes
    • Research
    • Screenshots
    • Stories
    • Suggestions
    • Work In Progress

Whatever you like to share, do it! Don't forget to include pictures, pictures and pictures!
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Allright guys, the last phase of the construction of our hosted forum has just begun. I wrote to the awesome moderators if they can assist me with the last tweaks (things I can not do with my administration rights) like to replace our dummy-like modification description, set up the sub-forums and such. I hope you like the current framework I have build in here. In the meanwhile, I would like to give you guys the chance to hop onto our Dev Forum, respectively our Permission Group. To join our permission group, go to "My Account" and than to "Permission Groups". Than search for the "Dev Forum Authentic Ancient World" and ask to join the group. As I will NOT get any auto-notification it is wise to send me a message before you do so.

PS: I am again available for chats and mails

Default Welcome to Authentic Ancient World's Brand New Dev Forum!

Hello,

Welcome to the Dev Forum!

As you have seen I've been able to construct our new forum and it now looks like this:

Sub-Forum:

• Dev Forum Authentic Ancient World (invite only)

Authentic Ancient World (AAW):

• [Overview] Introduction of the Authentic Ancient World Project
    • [Dowloads] Authentic Ancient World (Updated 05/06/2014)
    • [Collaboration] Recruitment, Open Tasks and Permissions
    • [Announcements] News about Authentic Ancient World

and now my favorite

• [Creative] The "Post Your Authentic Ancient World..."-Thread

Hopefully, we can get some nice and interesting postings going in there full of pictures and artwork.

Now, I am looking forward to the future of Authentic Ancient World and the begin to work with you awesome people out there.

Cheers
    Alec
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 12, 2014 at 07:20 AM.

Icon4 [Rules] Keep it simple and clean!

Hello,

This is all a democracy under my tyrant rule (please, note that tyrant is Greek and referred to illegitime ruler and had no judgmental meaning of being good or evil)

Our Democratic Elements:

• Be polite and use good judgement!

Our Tyrant Elements:

• Keep it simple and clean! There will be a lot of complexity and information involved. You are obliged to everyone else to present your information crisp and organized. Use the [Creative] marked threads for overloaded and unstructured content. If you ever need to open a thread for your own purpose, please ask me first to create the thread, unless I've given you administrator rights. At the moment you may not understand this rule completely, but I've seen some pretty messy developer and modification forums, which made it very hard to find any relevant information. Also it's not like I won't give you the opportunity to open your own working space. I just want to prevent the typical overloaded and unfocused forum.
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 11, 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: [Melting Pot] The "Post your Authentic Ancient World..."-Thread

Hey guys the thread I wrote with the textures in cant be moved here so I was asked to repost here.

Hello all, as I promised a few days ago here are the completed retextures and work that is currently on going, I hope you guys like and hopefully will give you all a small insight to the work going on and how things will appear ingame with respect to the units. Alec should be on later to post the new UI update and other artwork by other developers and artists are in the AAW closed thread. anyway enjoy guys

Macedon Silver Shields
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Macedon Bronze Shields

#

Hellenic Bronze Shields

New Hellenic Thureos Shield - Plain and a painted one

Roman Legion Specific Shields - Currently being reworked, im debating wether to have the pattern on the diffuse and remove the shield mask, this will allow me to give different feels to the shields

Retexturing Lorica Segmentata (Roman) - Currently being worked on but this is an in game screenshot. on the left is the vanilla and the right is the Authentic Ancient World retexture ive almost completed, currently I have to work on the diffuse as the Segmentata legions will have varying segmentata, so that requires new diffuses, speculars, gloss maps and normal maps

Post your feed back please guys and gals
    Last edited by Hloeric; June 06, 2014 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks mate, I am especially a fan of the bronze shields and looking forward to the awesome Roman overhaul with your textures soon.

Can you post some of your awesome Roman armors once you have some free time available?
    FOR ROME!
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 06, 2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Awesome Emoticon ^^

yeah of course, the different segmentata shouldn't be a problem, its just a lot of rigid_model_v2 editing to do now and then I can post. I do need that packfile from you with the textures so I can find a good chainmail retexture because im having a few issues with the chainmail

Cool, I will be on it as soon as possible.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I have research which I think will help the team.

Note, I have done Parthia, Suebi and Eprius.

Please tell me what factions need researching and I shall research them ( providing a detailed long overview of the faction and anything else relating it).

Thanks.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; June 06, 2014 at 08:50 AM.

Icon3 [Creative] Concepts & Ideas Pool

This is the place for brainstormings, concepts, ideas, suggestions and alike!
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 17, 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Update

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Parthia

Note that before we start, this is not a fully fleshed out version as I would have wanted it to be. I will be updating this sooner or later as well when research capacities begin after my exams. Still, I think it would be better to contribute something now rather than not. This focuses on the diversity and indivualness needed currently in the Parthian Roster. I shall try and make this detailed as possible. I do not claim to be an expert, as I might post some things wrong and any mistakes, I will correct. This is Parthia, one of the factions that I first researched.

Let us begin!

An basic overview.

At the time of 272 bc, Parthia is an emerging power, slowly waiting to rumble under its selecuid warlords. Being a satrap this means that Parthia is still very much not considered much of a power as of yet, however there is growing discontent between the Selecuids and Parthians. The Parthians sooner or later by 250 bc, Parthia declares independence and we then see an emerging growing superpower that would soon one day rival the might of the mighty Roman Empire when it crushed all in its path. The Dahe tribe do not exist at this time. They are now under rule from Parthia and offer their services as superb horse archers to the Parthian millitary.

Yep....that's Parthia for you.....

Military:

The warfare tactics of the Parthian can be said to revolutionary at first, but then its becomes outdated after having way too many wars with Rome. The direct influences of the Scythian tribes could be seen when Parthians used to shoot from their backs as they galloped on their horses. They were indeed very proud people, and their army was probably a mixture of elites/citizens/levies. One thing we must not forget is the fact that Parthia is and is only a cavalry faction. The Sassinds can be seen as the '' developer'' of heavy infantry as they realized to that to combat the Roman threat, they would need forces capable of defeating them. Parthia's traditional tactics of having mostly cavalry in their armies by that time had gone defunct. Back to the point however, The Parthian army was composed of elephants, archers, cavarly, horse archers, skirmishers that were the direct influences of Scythian tribes.

Although this is a picture from the Sassinans, this is the exact build when considering the Parthian army. Your average levy spearmen was either a citizen trying to either gain some fame or glory, or probably just an poor man wanting to make some money to rid of himself of debt. The Syrian foot archers and Kurdish Javelinmen would have appeared into the Parthian army. Parthia as the time was a mixture of Persian influences still retaining its nomadic influences. Unlike the pink Parthians of Rome 1..( epic nostalgia) however, they were used in mostly harrasing, raiding, and attacking at the required times. The Parthians were built on a tradition of raiding and harrasing, as their army is suited to being like this: Shower the enemy with arrows, then storm in with the cavalry. Pretty much like the Huns, the Mongols and other factions. Parthia wasn't strictly known for its infantry and there is evidence of an strong armoured Parthian soldiers, but they would have been either royal bodyguards or moves made by the Parthians to combat the Roman infantry which never went that far. And if in terms of infantry men, they were mostly Takabara spearmen, and they were like the upgrade from Levy spearmen, consisting of shields and arrows, they were expensive but a far more certainly better force than your average levy spearmen:

Horse Archers:

The horse archers of Parthia was something like you'd seen the poorer version of men on horses with no archers. On the contrary however, they were poorer nobles that played a significant role in the Parthian army. At the battle of Carrhae, they were reported to be advancing and harassing the Roman legions and were expert shots as it was also reported that despite the Romans raising their shields, the arrows managed to find their targets and pierce their armour. In this battle the famous tactic called the Parthian shot was used. To understand this principle consider this: A bunch of horse archers come to your legion, you raise your shields and the Parthians shoot. Some die, some of your comrades die, but you survive. The Parthians retreat on a full gallop and they turn their bodies to shoot back. In this case, we must consider the fact that these horse archers were extremely effective using the compound bow, and to turn your body back while shooting is almost impossible! You would need a flexible body for this, and you can also compare this to the Samurai of Japan that also practiced a similar tradition shooting back from the horses.

As you can see here...the shot being reinvented!

The Parthian shot also spread to the catrapharcts of the Parthians and the Sassainins as shown here, even though they wore more armour, and despite being expert shots, they would have not been as effective as compared to their lighter counterparts:

One must also note that the main crux of the Parthian army lay in its cavalry. This I think CA got right to a certain extent, but not so much. Too many people consider the Parthians as an infantry faction when it wasn't. And no the Parthian cavalry was not all grey covered. In fact, they had colored armored scale horses, and they wore different types of armor, but mostly they were covered up.

As we can see here:

So we can see the Parthians had huge variation within their cavalry. Their force and terror is described in the book called the Lost Ten tribes of Isarel. The strong elites of the Parthian army probably commanded some of the best regiments in the army. The rich nobles were definitely a factor of this and I shall use Sebdiee's pictures to illustrate:

The Royal cataphracts consisted the core of the backbone of the Parthian cavarly. Composed of nobles, princes, rich nobles, sergants and some of the wealthiest people in the land, they would be considered the bodyguards for the Parthian General, or more than likely a force which would be used to parade around, or otherwise used in battles to be a tremendous force to be used. These would be the very late force used when the Parthian army progressed.

In most cases, the Sassinans also had golden cavarly in their ranks. Most of these men would have been either Parthian heroes either being promoted, and were certainly composed of veterans. These weren't your average man on a horse given some fancy spears/armor. These were tough armoured cavarlymen ready to shove their spears into your throats if you messed with them.

Even though the Parthians don't have unique banners, as you can see from this Sassian pic here, the Parthians would have had very unique banners styles and some of them could have come in colorful varieties.

Mercenaies:

Adding to this, like the Carthaginians, the Parthians benefited from a wide range of mercanies at their disposal. It would not be suprising to find the fact that Parthian armies would have had mercenaries serving in the army. Ranging from Arabs, Iranians, Dahae, Persians and Jews, Scythians, truly the Parthians definitely had a wide access to this beneficial prospect. In most battles against the Romans, there would have been these types of units serving in the Parthian army. It should be noted that they were very cheap to recruit.

The Parthian and Roman armies, both headed by their emperors, clashed in what must have been one of the fiercest (and bloodiest) battles ever fought in the ancient world. What occurred was not merely a battle, but the death struggle of two mighty empires. Citing the classical writers, Rawlinson states:

"The battle of Nisibis ... was the fiercest and best contested
    which was ever fought between the rival powers. It lasted ...
    three days. The army of Artabanus was numerous and
    well-appointed: like almost every Parthian force, it was strong
    in cavalry and archers; and it had ... a novel addition of ...
    soldiers, clad in complete armour, and carrying long spears or
    lances, who were mounted on camels ... The Romans suffered
    greatly from the bows of the horse-archers, and from the lances
    of the corps mounted on camels; and ... as they retired, they
    strewed the ground with spiked balls and other contrivances for
    injuring the feet of animals." 85

Ctesiphon, the "western capital" known to the Romans, was
    nowhere near the actual homeland of the Parthians. It is possible
    that Ctesiphon was an administrative center for governing their
    western provinces, but that other "capitals" existed eastward in
    their empire. The Scythian nature of the Parthians is well-known,
    and Scythian reverence for the dead was an historic trait. When
    Darius attacked the Scythians many centuries earlier near the
    Black Sea, he was warned that retribution would be most dire if
    he desecrated Scythian cemeteries. 84 Given the historic
    relationship between Parthia and the Sacae tribes of Scythia, it
    is possible that Scythian tribes furnished troops for this battle
    as well.

The invading Romans met the Parthian defenders at the battle
    of Carrhae in 53 B.C. (near the modern border of Syria and
    Turkey). The Romans suffered one of the worst defeats in the
    history of the Roman Empire; half the 40,000 man army perished, a
    quarter fled, and 10,000 Romans were captured. Crassus, a member
    of the triumvirate ruling the Roman Empire, was slain. Parthia's
    treatment of the captured Romans was unusually magnanimous,
    especially considering that the Romans were the aggressors. The
    10,000 captured Romans were resettled east of the Caspian Sea,
    given wives, and later even served as Parthian soldiers. 44
    Rawlinson comments that the Parthians:

"... acquired by their use of the bow a fame like that [of] the
    English archers ... at Crecy and Agincourt. They forced the
    arrogant Romans to ... allow that there was at least one nation
    in the world which could meet them on equal terms ... They
    henceforth obtained recognition from the Graeco-Roman writers ...
    as the second Power in the world." 45

Richard Frye's "Heritage of Persia" also notes that, after
    the battle of Carrhae: "the world was divided between Rome and
    Parthia according to Greek and Latin authors." 46

This was no wild
    mob from the steppes, but a disciplined and prepared military
    force. The Parthians maintained both a heavy cavalry and a light
    cavalry. The light cavalry was composed of fleet horses with
    riders armed with bows and arrows. These horsemen could rain down
    upon an enemy a fairly continuous barrage of arrows as they could
    ride in shifts, with each troop resupplying itself from
    camel-borne arrow carriers when their supply became exhausted in
    battle. 41
    The heavy cavalry must have been truly frightening to the
    Roman footsoldier. Rawlinson describes them in the following
    manner:

"The strong horses selected for this service were clad almost
    wholly in mail. Their head, neck, chest, even their sides and
    flanks, were protected by scale-armour of brass or iron ... Their
    riders had cuirasses and cuisses [breastplates and leg armor] of
    the same materials, and helmets of burnished iron. For an
    offensive weapon they carried a long ... spear or pike. They
    formed a serried line in battle, bearing down with great weight
    on the enemy whom they charged, and standing firm as an iron wall
    against the charges that were made against them." 42

In other words, the Romans were opposed by a superior
    phalanx of armored Parthian cavalry. With their armored mounts,
    body armor, and long spears, the Parthian heavy cavalry must have
    looked like mounted European Lancers from the middle ages! Again
    we see another parallel between the ancient Parthians and the
    Europeans of the feudal period. The Parthian heavy cavalry sounds
    like a huge formation of feudal knights armed for combat instead
    of jousts. Indeed, the Encyclopaedia Britannica openly called the
    Parthian heavy cavalry "knights."

The Parthian and Roman armies, both headed by their
    emperors, clashed in what must have been one of the fiercest (and
    bloodiest) battles ever fought in the ancient world. What
    occurred was not merely a battle, but the death struggle of two
    mighty empires. Citing the classical writers, Rawlinson states:

"The battle of Nisibis ... was the fiercest and best contested
    which was ever fought between the rival powers. It lasted ...
    three days. The army of Artabanus was numerous and
    well-appointed: like almost every Parthian force, it was strong
    in cavalry and archers; and it had ... a novel addition of ...
    soldiers, clad in complete armour, and carrying long spears or
    lances, who were mounted on camels ... The Romans suffered
    greatly from the bows of the horse-archers, and from the lances
    of the corps mounted on camels; and ... as they retired, they
    strewed the ground with spiked balls and other contrivances for
    injuring the feet of animals." 85

This kind of fighting went on for three full days. The
    armor-clad Parthians must have looked like medieval knights as
    they charged the Romans with levelled lances. The Romans,
    however, were ingenious in countering these assaults by maiming
    the Parthian animals. The killing was awesome. It is recorded
    that the bodies of the dead were:

"piled to such a height that the manoeuvres of the troops were
    impeded by them, and at last the two contending hosts could
    scarcely see one another!" 86

Note also that the Parthian horse itself was a beautiful creature and was used till the medieval ages, as is quoted here:

Strabo called the Parthian the most elegant riding horse in the Roman Empire, he was fast enough to beat Spanish horses that were reputed to be the fastest up until that time, and he was strong enough to be the backbone of the cataphract. In addition to this, the Parthian horse was beautiful. Artwork of him from China shows a proud elegant animal, and when Emperor Justinian introduced them to the Spain during the Visigoth Wars, the Parthian horse became the rootstock for the Andalusian and Lusitano. These horses in turn were ancestors to the American Quarterhorse, Appaloosa and Tigerhorse. The use of Spanish racehorses to improve English racehorses prior to the immortal three would also lead this author to believe that the size and strength of the Thoroughbred comes from his Parthian ancestors, not the small desert breeds the English hold in such high esteem.
    [Detail, sarcophagus of the "Triclinium of Maqqai", c. A.D. 229, Palmyra, Syria]

The Crusaders also dispersed Byzantine bred Parthian horses throughout Europe, in particular the Normans who destroyed the imperial stud when they sacked Constantinople. Horses were taken to France and Italy, which used the Parthian horse to create the now extinct Neapolitan breed. The Neapolitan had an enormous influence on the Lippizaner, giving the stallions a stronger build and more masculine appearance. It might also be said that the arts that these beautiful animals perform have their roots in the ancient empires of Persia and Parthia. The Greeks wrote about dressage, but it was the Parthian horse that performed it, and whether you call him Niceaen, Soulun, Heavenly Horse or Parthian horse, the loss of this great breed was a tragedy.
    [Annadale's Love Story, a Tiger Horse stallion. Photo by permission, The Tiger Horse Registry]

I would say they need more armored catarpahts. More importantly their visual experience must be changed; they had colored armored scale horses, and they wore different types of armor, but mostly they were covered up.

More importantly, they need different types of horse archers, more steppe archers, as reading from their history they did receive support from their allies and they made the bulk of their armies( I might be wrong in this) So like Carthage recruits mercenaries, so should the Parthians be able to recruit steppe archers and so on . And I'd remain their infantry to be as it is, there is some evidence of a royal strong infantry unit; but apart from that there wasn't much for infantry to do. This is a cavalry faction, and it needs more variation within its armored cavalry and so on. If they have archer spear men; that again would be awesome. And more individualizes in their rosters.

http://www.wildfiregames.com/forum/i...c=17662&page=2
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/.../Texts/Ammian/

Some pics:

Not throughly finished, but will finish it when I can.

Default [Bulletin Board] News & Updates Pool

This is the place for announcements, news, updates and alike.
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 12, 2014 at 08:45 AM.