Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: [Download] Authentic Ancient World 0.05

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default Re: [Collaboration] Construction of the Campaign Map (WIP)

if the resolution is still the same, than this is awesome work. well done!

Thomahawk2k's Avatar Civis

The resolution is still the same, I'll zip the final product to prevent quality loss.

I think we should make various maps from it.
    First we make a province/region map, and when that's done, we divide them under factions.
    We got to note a faction restriction (at least, I was never successful in making one from scratch).
    I have an idea at least. We can make use of the factions inside CA's campaign, like gaul_arverni into the GC.
    We have all gallic, Iberian and North African tribes in the Grand Campaign for our use + 1 time carthage + 3 times Rome (GC, CiG OR HatG, and Prologue).
    This gives us factions for our more detailed map. Also, I suggest we rescale those temples, so that they do not take too much place in our provinces.

I agree. We definitely be able to make:

1x Map with Provinces
    1x Map with Regions & Cities
    1x Map with Factions per Region
    1x Map with Resources per Region
    1x Map with Cultures & Religions per Region
    1x Map with AOR per Region

Once we have the map, the possibilities are unlimited.

I also agree with the city icons. We can make 1x map with the current icons and than a second map where we remove the icons and make them smaller so we can copy paste the larger map.

Please, when you work on photoshop, save your working files in .psd format so we can edit it easily in future. Never merge layers and such. It is much easier to have all layers and working steps saved in .psd format for future changes.

Cheers
    Alec

Default Prologue Campaign: Provinces, Regions, Cities and Factions

I have a quick preview ready about the prologue. That's how we would change the big maps like, latin, historic and assigned to the right era:

Latium

Latium > Latium Vetes (as soon as the Roman expansion began, Latium got divided into the original Roman part and the "attached", respectively new southern part)
    Rome > Roma (Latin term)

Volsci > Latium Novum (Volsci is not even a region)
    Velitrae

Campania

Campania > Liburia (northern part of Campania)
    Capua

Cilento > Cilentum (Cilento is modern Italian and not Latin)
    Salernum > Irna (Salernum still had to be founded about 120 years later than the actual time frame of the Prologue campaign)

Samnium

Apulia
    Lucera > Luceria (Lucera is Italian and not Latin)

Irpinia > Hirpinia (Irpinia is Italian and not Latin)
    Malventum > Maleventum (corrected typo)

Pentria > ? (the term doesn't really exist, this region would have been called Samnium, but what to do since that enormous Eastern province is called Samnium itself)
    Bovianum

Umbria > ? (this also makes no sense since Umbria and Samnium were two different regions of equal status, but what to do since now Umbria apparently lies within that enormous Samnium)
    Aternum

Magna Graecia

Calabria
    Tarentum

Italia
    Croton > Crotona (more popular Latin version)

Lucania
    Buxentum

furthermore: Mare Adriaticum > Mare Hadriaticum (more popular Latin version)

Factions

Gaul > Galli / Gallic / Gallic Rebels (Gaul is a region)
    Greek Cities > Graeci / Greek / Greek Rebels (Graeci is the correct ethnonym)
    Lucania > Lucani / Lucanian / Lucanian Rebels (Lucania is a region)
    Italian Rebels > Italic Rebels / Italic Rebel / Italic Rebels (Italian and Italic is a bit of a difference)
    Rome > Roma / Roman / Roman Rebels (Latin and the most important city of the ancient world not using an ethnonym)
    Roman Allies > Socii / Allied / Allied Rebels (Latin term)
    Samnites

furthermore: Senators > Senatores (Latin term)
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 15, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

I think we should give the factions greek names, since you made the faction groups in greek.
    I agree with the regions, what I should do is giving the east Greek names (thinking about the fact that in the east of the empire, people spoke greek).
    Maybe we should recall samnium to something like 'Samnium et Umbria'?

For the grand campaign we will make the world 50:50. Half of the world will be with greek names (south-east) the other will be roman (north-west).

For the prologue and DLC since its purely focused on Rome only, I decided to go with pure Latin only.

BTW, good idea to go with Samnium et Umbria, but its not supported by the provincial map. We would have to make a new map for it, which I think we shouldn't bother about. On a side note, did you see how ugly and unfinished the Prologue map is? Its completely blurred and distorted... and the sea regions are not even existent, ah CA...

I took your advice and did something else instead. I did rename Umbria into Umbria et Picenum and let that Samnium be the that enormous monster provide CA painted on the campaign map. unless we do not have a prologue available without text, we must use this for now.

I also did a small tweak to Latium Novum and Latium Vetus (Old and New Latium was a much newer term of Latin), instead I tried Latium Antiquum and Latium Adiectum (Original / Ancient / Early Latium and Added / Expanded Latium).

Ok, I saw Dresden, GrudgeNL and 'gunny, they made a mod called Edward in Gaul. They have a CiG map with the edited names.
    Alternatively, this is a possible solution: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=266987729

I tried to find that mod, but was not successful, but anyways edward in gaul is a mod that is a completely different timeframe, so most probably it would not be suitable. About our Grand Campaign we will use your work on that large res map. It looks great.

About the CiG and HatG and Prologue Map we will see, if we make a similar maps than we could change provinces. I see you have already made some maps for HatG and CiG. How did you do those? Are there similar maps from CA out there or did you do everything from scratch?

DLC maps I got from the game files. If I remember correctly the campaigns section of data.pack or data_rome2.pack.
    In those mods I used the clickgen map. Rescaled them and a bit of photoshop.

@webbird

Thanks for the support. Especially die römischen Verkehrswege are something that we can definitely use for our map.

@neusaap uit brasil

I tried already to start with the names changes on the database and excel, but did not even made one single province yet since it's hell of annoying to make concepts on a tabular form. I quickly gave up since it will cost more effort than doing it on the actual map.

So, I go back and help Hloeric with the Roman roster for a few days and let you work on the map for a while (take your time, you are in no rush). I must take a look at those maps you told me about the CiG and HatG campaign. What res are those? High res? Do we have a map for the Prologue?

Once you are ready we can work on that regions etc renaming.

Default Re: [Collaboration] Authentic Ancient World's Modding Crew

ABH2 made the next step, he joined us as the lead designer of the building chains. Here is his introduction:

Introduction

I'm relatively new to modding and joined the project with a lot of ideas on how to re-work the building chains in the game. My goal is to allow the player to build a realistic and immersive experience on the campaign map while still leaving enough freedom for strategic choices.

Modding History

I freshly joined the development of Total War: Rome 2 modifications. I contributed to Rome: Total Realism a long time ago and was the lead designer for the Megas Alexandros modification for a while.

Relation to Authentic Ancient World

I joined the work on the building concept for Authentic Ancient World. I like the ambition, scope and principles of the project.

Relation to Roma Surrectum II

I was part of the contributors to Rome: Total Realism and therefore my relation to RTR is stronger than to RSII.

Which is your favorite faction? Why?

Macedon, because as I said above, I launched an Alexander the Great mod for Rome: Total War. Reading about his campaigns got me interested in history and the Total War series at a young age.

Describe yourself or your working style with a few adjectives.

Well, I figure my goals for the game are most relevant. I believe in choices and immersion. Choices in a Total War should ideally have a purpose and consequences. I also think part of immersion is realism. That doesn't mean following history to the letter or attempting to duplicate it (obviously futile for a game like this), but creating a sandbox where a player can take control of a faction and attempt to expand as close to those ancient people would have under the right circumstances. I believe each culture and faction should provide a unique and challenging experience.

My working style? Frenetic and a little obsessive. I like to sit and focus on one thing at a time. Work on it until completion. So, some times I need to tell myself to slow down and not get ahead (especially on a team project). I'm eager to see things advance.

Time Zone

US Squad (EST)

Steam Account

You can find me on Steam: ABH
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 17, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Barune's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Introduction: alecwermuth

I am happy to welcome Barune as a novice developer to our crew and wish him all the best in his development. Here is his introduction:

Introduction

I've been playing Total War games since Shogun. I only recently started playing around with and using modifications for these games, aside from a squalor fix for Total War: Rome II (cause my god that was awful, amirte?) I'm eager to learn and am actually working on something secret for you guys to enjoy soon.

Modding History

Nil. This will be the first modification I have worked on for a public release. I've made a few tweaks here and there, but never released anything for public use yet. I am looking forward to working with a great team and learning and improving my development skills.

After speaking with Alec about his sub-modification a very while ago and getting into modding, I recently received a message from Alec asking me if I still wanted to learn to modify and join a his project. Well, here I am now.

I have Roma Surrectum II installed.

Sparta, because I'm a fan of their history and i find them the most fun to play as.

creative and slow, but through.

Time Zone

US Squad (EST)

Steam Account

You can find me on Steam: Barune
    Last edited by Hetairos; June 17, 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Let me introduce you our most recent crew member. neusaap uit brazil will focus to work on the framework of our campaign. Here is his introduction:

Introduction

I begun playing the Total War series since Rome: Total War and later bought also Shogun I, which I did not like very much, simply because I have no connection to Japanese history. I do prefer Roman history and read a lot of books about this historic era. I stopped following the series after the medieval series. After the release of Total War: Rome 2, the successor of my previous favorite game, which I played for countless hours, I simply had to return to Total War.

Modding History

In 2013, I officially began to develop Total War: Rome 2, even though I once made a new unit for Rome: Total War. I make mostly little tweaks, with a high immersion factor: Spartans that are not to be routed that easily or renaming regions to their native names and many more little immersion tweaks. The most successful work of mine was my last map modification, which was just a simple change of a .png file, but with a big impact in the game.

I got alecwermuth to know from my regions renamed modification back than. Since he liked the immersive style of the modification he asked me for permission to use the better region names modification as a reference point for his previous Authentic Ancient World for DeI sub-modification. Now, I joined his new project to create an awesome map for 217 BC and an extensive map hoping for CA to release the TEd tools for Total War: Rome II in distant future. We do want to make one of the most gorgeous maps and campaign frameworks for 217 BC out there.

Not much, I didn't use modifications much in my Rome: Total War time. I still do not find the game boring and I still wondering myself why Total War: Rome 2 is getting boring much faster, while using very much 'better' technology.

Rome, since they build a legendary world empire out of an once small city.

I am impatient at times (want to go work in the files once we have a good structure). I can suppress that wish, it is just too bad that I am not good with structure myself. I am relying on alecwermuth to push with the structure so I can start working on the database.

Time Zone

EU Squad (CET)

Steam Account

You can find me on Steam: neusaap.uit.brazil

They are I believe similar of resolution as the campaign map file, pretty high, and I guess they will do if we don't want to edit in more provinces. Otherwise we will need another map to build on for those. And there is no prologue map since they are not available in custom battle.

And Webbird, thanks for those maps, the more maps, the better.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: [Preview] Artwork & Signatures

The sig looks awesome! Billydilly, I say we are very lucky to have you on here mate.

Though I don't want to get rid of my napoleonic one.....

Could you make me a sig, saying AAW, with the eagle thing, and put historical researcher?

Thanks

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Marshall of France has returned from his exams. Welcome back fellow researcher! Here is his introduction:

Introduction

I've been a regular Total War player since 2005, so I've been playing for quite a while now. I love the modifications and the series, but disfavor the company due to the disastrous release of Total War: Rome 2. I have given feedback on two or three modifications and now I am a researcher for Authentic Ancient World regarding historical research for rosters and factions.

Modding History

I have given feedback as a beta tester to modifications such as NTW3. I have also given feedback to some other modifications, some of them which are Sebidee's Parthian and Suebi Roster. I am will continue to help him, such as I do right now with his Iceni Roster which will be soon released as well. Now, I am joining Authentic Ancient World as a researcher and am currently learning how to modify myself in order to gain some more experience as I aim to get a job in the games industry some day. I am willing to learn, and willing to put work ahead of trivial issues.

It was Sebidee's reccomandation to alec to have me as a historical researcher to the Authentic Ancient World crew. Through a few E-mails I decided to join the crew. Here I am now and since my exams are over, I can dedicate my time to finally work on Authentic Ancient World.

I will admit that despite installing it, I have never been able to launch it due to installion issues, I have read wonderful AAR's, watched awesome videos and wrote some texts for RSII. I would love to install it properly, as the installation instructions aren't that clear. With some help I might finally be able to launch it. Stay tuned!

The Selecuid Empire, they have an awesome diverse roster and Parthia, what needs to be sayed here: Cataphracts!

focused on quality research, work comes first, finish the job on time, quality over quanitity

Time Zone

EU Squad

Steam Account

You can find me on Steam: Sulieman the Magnficent

You all know Hloeric one of our 2D artists. We are looking forward to his Roman textures. Here is his introduction:

Introduction

I officially started modding in early 2013 after playing around with the different texture maps within Shogun 2, but did not release any modifications back than. Then I jumped straight into Total War: Rome 2 as soon as modders were able to make any substantial changes to the textures. I was developing my own modification called "Romanorum Acies" which received awesome feedback for the specific legions, but stopped work just to bring my work into the new project and join Authentic Ancient World.

Modding History

As I said, I started my first 2D changes with Shogun 2 textures and jumped right into Total War: Rome 2 looking to release public content now.

i joined alec in his quest for an authentic modification as I believed what he wanted to achieve was identical to what I wanted to achieve in my own modification. So we started to work together.

I have no previous relation to Roma Surrectum II.

Rome, because Roman history is one of my greatest interests and the way this game portrays them is a crime

Describe yourself or working style.

My working style is that I try to make not perfect and pristine armour that looks like it never been worn in battle, but try to portray it as a nitty gritty and wearer out armour that a unit would actually wear. A unit that was well versed in war would look kind of darker and wearer down. That is why I am trying to go for and the first tests look awesome. I am also trying to make the units look how they historically would have been equipped.

Myself, I am relaxed, but hard working. I am not happy when a re-texture isn't what I imagined it to be.

Time Zone

EU Squad (GMT)

Steam Link

You can find me on Steam: Hloeric