Content Emeritus

Default Wolfenstein The New Order

Noif de Bodemloze presenting his first game review:

FOR PC, PS3 & 4, Xbox 360 and One
    Game developed: Machinegames
    Published by Bethesda
    (K-17)

Wolfenstein The New Order -Trailer

Welcome back to war time, soldier reader! Do you think that we are winning a war? No! You are in wrong!

William Blazkowicz

After 3 years from previous events of wolfenstein. It is 1946 and war has been extended. Germans have advantaged a huge technology and are used them in war against Allies. You are American ranger, William “B.J.” Blazkowicz. You story begin in American bomber plane, where Allies are planning their assault to German’s secret headquarter and take down their his arch nemesis, General Wilhelm “Deathshead” Strasse and his human experimentation laboratory. While you are making small tutorial in airplane, then your bomber platoon is getting attacked by German jet fighters. You running to turret to get advantage jet planes down and suddenly, your plane is getting hit by damaged bomber and your bomber is getting down… Your friend, Fergus call his friend bomber come near your plane, then you open a side door and together you abandon a bomber and jump to next bomber in the air. You were saved for while in other bomber, but not long. Until your bomber make crash landing to the beach, in front of Germany secret headquarter… There begin your long painful story… until you wake up in hospital at 1960. You still see black-gray colored uniform german soldiers around you and later you will find out: Nazis has won the war.
    (Picture)
    I haven’t played previous Wolfeinstein games, but this wolfenstein episode got me crazy totally. I remember when I saw first reviews and trailers about FPS game. It made me interesting a lot. You can’t import your old Blazkowicz from previous wolfeinstein to new one. This is good for me, so I don’t miss anything else than only previous story. When I get into battlefield, I felt like Rambo who kicking Nazis ass and get peace back to the World. Always it is not easy.
    This look hilarious

Can I play this, daddy?

TIME TO FIGHT!
    What I very much liked is this battle mechanic. You can use melee combat in close-combats (daggers, dual-daggers or throw daggers from hide) then you have a lot guns to take those Nazis out: Pistols, assault rifle with grenade launcher, shotgun, sniper, tesla grenades and LASER GUN!!! (Wow) and some places you can use machine guns. In 1946, you will use normal WW2 times weapons like Thompson (I loved it), grenades, german assault rifles, but what I very much like too is dual system, when you find two similar assault rifles or shotguns, you can use them as dual. It takes more ammo, but fire power is strong. Sound in guns like listen in music when I giving bullets for nazi soldiers. All weapons will be upgraded in time in 1960 year. Nazi-germany has got new technology and so are weapons too. What is this laser gun? Well… it is useful to cut fences and light walls down to get through levels and find secrets stuffs like treasures and documents. (I recommend finding those secrets and hidden documents. It is cool!) And you can use it as laser gun. It is very effect gun especially against mechanic units. There are few moments, that you can use some vehicles like mini-submarine, armed robot, turrets in early game. While you wondering around rooms, it is also good better check those wooden boxes to get extra ammos, health and armor.

I remember one funny moment, when I went to battle and granny polish man said for me: GO TO KILL THOSE NAZIS! (yes, yes,yes ... I know, grandpa)

I love my weapons!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Cat and mouse -moment"

Card licence and documents, gentlemans!

You are in my way!
    While you are running levels, you will face many different enemies. Normal Nazi soldiers with assault rifles and officers, war dogs, rocket solder, shotgun units, heavy soldier with strong armor and MG, scout flying robots with heavy mg, Giant mechanic war dogs and giant robots. Every unit has their weakness and strong side. Robots units have strong weapons and sometime use AOE explosives, their weakness are tesla grenades and head shots. Some mechanic units take more time to take off, but laser gun is useful to take them down (if you have not wasted all power from gun). There will be tough situations when there are tough units waiting you in battle. Important in battles is to know their weakness, be able fast in moving and use covers against big numbers or heavy robots.

I'll watch you

Omg, How I can take that down?

Beauty, ugly and crazy friends
    You are not only person who fight against Nazis. You working in resistance group and have NPC guys who giving missions for you. They not help you in battles, just yelling and blab la bla …. Stories and stuffs while I walking and this one man army taking Nazis out. You have relationship with polish woman, who you meet in hospital while she was taking care of you while your character is in coma. After you save her from Germans, she treats you like a hero but after beautiful night … she is like my boss.
    (picture)

GAME ITSELF
    In game, you are visiting in Berlin, London, Gibraltar, sewers, under the water and …. In the moon! Those places are very different and beautiful environment. I like video clips and explosives in game, tough and scary clips are also interesting and sometime might scare you (No wonder this game is rated 18). Graphics look very good that I almost managed take max. Graphics to use without big FPS lost , sometime I felt that my graphics went automatically down when I quit and later came back to game.

BAI is good. They like use a lot guns and grenades. They can take cover and call reinforcement (officer’s ability). Since game play, I haven’t seen any big mistakes in AI. All are been bad opponents for me. I must say that Very easy – middle difficult is too easy to play, because they aren’t aggressive, but high difficult is very good level for veteran soldier like for me. I recommend using high difficulty!

In this game, I have seen couple level bosses; usually level bosses are giant robot with massive laser and missiles (from early game giant robot, who walking in beach). Before level end, you always face one - several heavy units.

In previous wolfenstein, there was a lot zombie, monsters … aww… I can’t stand it and I don’t like fight against Nazi zombies, but this game is very good because you mostly face normal humans or mechanics units. I have not seen any zombies in game. Thanks god!

This game don’t have multiplay, only single player mode. It doesn't matter me if there is MP or not, but this game itself look very nice with cool weapons, that it would be nice to see MP.
    I recommend this game for players, who love FPS games.

Because of Nazi symbols and their history, this contest is forbidden in Middle Europe (in Germany, Austria) so in those countries have censored version: Nazis are replaced on secret organization that is called Wolfenstein and use wolfenstein logo in their armors and in flags. Other countries can enjoy about uncut version.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Beautiful city view

Climb up, lads!

Mom! I see my home from the moon!

Overall:
    Pros:
    - Battles are salt in this game!
    - Treasure/documents finding
    - Challenge AI
    - Environment and good Graphic (in Max.)
    - Visit in the moon
    - No zombies

Cons:
    - Your friends are not helping you. You fight alone all time
    - No Multiplayer mode

Rate: 9/10 (Must own, if you love FPS games)

Game tested
    Lenovo Y480
    2.4Ghz (8 CPUs), Intel core i7-3630QM CPU
    8GB RAM, 64-bits Win 7
    Nvidia Geforce GT 650M 2G
    Last edited by Noif de Bodemloze; June 22, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Wolfenstein The New Order

Added
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

I pretty much agree with your conclusion. It's definitely worth a 8-9, it just feels like a good FPS.

I found the AI a bit mismatched though challenging as you note but I had a small handful of instances where they just had no idea (might have just been unlucky).

Only con is I don't think they will make a sequal

Agreed one of the best FPS i ever play. Loved how BJ react with his guns but its get annoying when fighting a long ass fire fight. I am guessing there are planning to replace BJ to Ramona and the crazy warden still alive and will mostly replaced Red skull wannabe.