Thread: [Discussion] General Discussion Thread

Default [Discussion] General Discussion Thread

Thread to discuss anything related to middle earth.

favorite movie/book?

two towers

“I am in fact, a hobbit in all but size”― J.R.R. Tolkien

Default Re: Middle earth discussion thread

book: The Fellowship
    film: Return of the King

faction most want to play in a mod
    lorien

Clenvey's Avatar Foederatus

What do you expect from Lorien? I would really like to play the Uruks with the new formations. Or the Silvan Elves with the look from "the Hobbit".

I expect galadrial,nenya,the mirror of galdriel ,mallorn trees, caras galadhon,best archers in middle earth...what else do you need?.

Default Re: [Discussion] Middle earth discussion thread

Rohirrim! For Eorlingas!!
    I need a huge cavalry army to trampel all into the ground who oppose me.

gondor for the epic battles
    I must hold the walls and engage in massive pitched battles with legions of infantry

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Rhun, whats not to love about evil Gondor?

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Rhun, whats not to love about evil Gondor?
    You know, some years after the released of the Return of the King, in one of his Letters, Tolkien speaks about a story he started to write about the Fourth Age(like some 50 years after Aragorn's death). One of the elements was a youthful "orc cult" that comes about when the young people of Gondor become interested in the (what we now must assume is extinct) race of orcs. However, Tolkien found that he could really not "get into" the story; that it was "too modern" and all the "magic" was gone from Middle-earth. In the end, the story was abandoned.

I would love to know what happen in the 4th and even 5th age, I mean, what about the last elves in Middle Earth (if you think about it, there're great chances that some of them will stay in Middle Earth like forever never to come back in the Undying Lands again).
    Just men ? No magic ? He conceived Middle-Earth like Earth in the distant past (interesting isn't it ? )
    Last edited by ❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋; June 27, 2014 at 05:36 PM.
    The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.

Yeah I would say it was meant middle earth to be earth today. Just not as exciting as third age lol, that is why we mod games to try to live that period. I have only read some of the [will read all soon] silmarillion but third age seems best to me.

Lets revive this thread a bit.

My favourite book. Thats a hard one. Im just re-reading them and just finished the first one ans I love it, maybe my favourite. But that can change. ^^

Movies: Fellowship or Return of the king. Love them both.

The hobbit movies are just... Terrible really. Azog just ruins it, that strange act of burying smaug in gold appears to have been integrated only to lengthen the movie. Jackson just trying to get too much action out of a childrens book. Btw why the hells are the orks this huge? Only the big uruks of mordor were ALMOST as big as men. In the hobbit all these warg rider and assulting orks are huge muscular Monsters. Like the orcs from lotr better.

@total relism I haven't read the entire silmarillion yet as well. It's kinda like the bible ^^ may get round to do that later.

I dislike the hobbit movies as well, just read entire book for first time, was amazed. I had only read small parts before. I do think the third could be a great movie if done right. I hated all he added and changed in the movies.

I know i must read the silmarillion as well, its on the list.

the hobbit may have been better if it was not watered down into three movies

@total relism: i think the third one is going to be aweful. There is nothing left but smaug destroying the City of the lake and the battle of the five armies. Jackson is going to focus so much on the action its going to be a total massacre etc.

Default Re: [Discussion] General Discussion Thread

I like most of the evil things in lord of the rings I kind of hate how Jrr just kind of deus ex machina'd the out of his stories or as he coined it "Eucastastrophe" I kind of also dislike his racist undertones. Like with the troll men of harad being troll men cuz they where probably just black dudes. Or how he describes other races as swarthy and not in a good way. Despite that for some reason I kind of have some weird image of a romanticized swarthy rhunic dude with a Spanish accent. LOL Despite what I just said I enjoy the images it brings to my mind because it amuses me greatly imagining a bunch of swarthy good looking dudes speaking french fighting with orcs under the banner of sauron.

Despite that I also like how their are prophesies and such like one day Morgoth shall return and what not. I also like the inclusion of spiders and other beasts.
    He is a lot like Hp lovecraft great mind but has a few odd kinks that kind of make him better cuz of his insight into the values of his time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by zylyithe View Post
    Like with the troll men of harad being troll men cuz they where probably just black dudes.
    Well, I wouldn't really fault him for that. He is merely describing those unknow beings for the Gondorians, as they would (in fact, I believe the line that references the "half-trolls" is spoken by a gondorian soldier).

As most Gondorians had never seen black men before, it's normal, given their skin tone and the fact that they're too tall to be Orcs, that they associate them to trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bercor View Post
    Well, I wouldn't really fault him for that. He is merely describing those unknow beings for the Gondorians, as they would (in fact, I believe the line that references the "half-trolls" is spoken by a gondorian soldier).

As most Gondorians had never seen black men before, it's normal, given their skin tone and the fact that they're too tall to be Orcs, that they associate them to trolls.
    Unlike HP Lovecraft JRR racisim was just due to his time and he would also talk about his views. In some reverse racism he really liked jews (positive stereotypes are still a stereotype) despite that I think JRR was a good guy. As for the gondorian's I kind of dislike them they seem kind of smug to me but you know that is just opinion. The troll men of harad kind of remind me of the blemmy's.
    “Do not sleep under a roof. Carry no money or food. Go alone to places frightening to the common brand of men. Become a criminal of purpose. Be put in jail, and extricate yourself by your own wisdom.”
    -- Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.

We are each of us stronger than we think.
    --Marcus Aurelius

Alkar's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by zylyithe View Post
    Unlike HP Lovecraft JRR racisim was just due to his time and he would also talk about his views. In some reverse racism he really liked jews (positive stereotypes are still a stereotype) despite that I think JRR was a good guy. As for the gondorian's I kind of dislike them they seem kind of smug to me but you know that is just opinion. The troll men of harad kind of remind me of the blemmy's.
    Hmm, Tolkien was literally the undisputed lord of writing ... he was trying to create everything from the perspective of the Men of the West ... their opinions of others from the East, etc. Most of the content in this regard for study is from the Letters of Tolkien. I could do an entire study on it if you like when I read his Letters again.

Of the Lore of Middle-earth: Click Here and Here