Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What you enjoy? From Rome 2 Middle Earth Dev.

Default What you enjoy? From Rome 2 Middle Earth Dev.

Hello everyone, I would like to ask one simple question to everyone here.

What is it you enjoy most about this mod? Honestly, I really just want to make the most enjoyable experience for as many people as possible, closed alpha is starting soon so we will be getting some good user feed back.

So what is it?

Models?

Units?

Factions dynamics?

Campaign map?

Just would like to get an idea on what I should be gunning for here, as a little tid bit, my goal here isnt to beat out TATW, but rather to make a new, unique and enjoyable experience, something different from TATW (in the sense that it used movies and we use books) but just as enjoyable.

Thanks in advance.

Macilrille's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: What you enjoy? From Rome 2 Middle Earth Dev.

Lore, the immersion in Middle-earth. The Mods that makes it more Lore-accurate.

And the fact that it is by far the most difficult version of any TATW game I have come across, with the possible exception of SS with the Grim Reality mod. Though that is rather more because I have yet to decode the dynamics and it seems somewhat illogical to me.

But that; Immersion in M-E and difficulty.
    Last edited by Macilrille; June 21, 2014 at 03:58 AM.

Kiliç Alì's Avatar Domesticus
    Artifex

Faction dynamics on the campaign map is what matters to me most; lore and lore-friendlyness is for me important just in the starting setting, but the game should allow the player to expand the current situation (in a reasonable way: Dale player owning all ME in its iron fist is accettable, romans invading ME is not. At least for a vanilla game).

Will you change the campaign map also? and why I can't open the link in your sig?

Member of the Imperial House of Hader, proud client of The only and sole Ferrit

I believe that immersion is really important . I like the green books that contain information about every single settlement ,the unit descriptions and the various videos.Also generals are very important in tatw , loosing one of your greatest generals hurts and a good general can change the tide of a battle. Last but not least i consider unit quality and custom settlements on of the biggest advantages of tatw.

kilis Ali the reaon that the link doesn't work i believe is because it leads to the thread that had been created in wips and proposal sub-forum and the mod is now hosted .Here is the linkhttp://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...-Earth-(TW-ME)

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by lazsersgopewpew View Post
    What is it you enjoy most about this mod?
    Immesion, being able to dynamically interact with the map and the factions. Sure, looking at a map is nice and reading about Swan Knights charging is nice as well, but playing on it, oh man!

Also, the amount of (new for me) information available in TATW and mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

So what helps immersion the most for you guys? Good models, in game explanatory text? The battles?

Bladvak's Avatar Senator

Everything counts. Everything that is added, everything counts.

The most? I'd say it depends on the type of person the gamer is : I myself am a visual-type, so the buildings and the map, along with good units cards - that's what count the most for me. That's where I spend most of the game, so that counts the most for me .

Battles help with immersion mostly on the beginning of the campaign, as I have fewer units and can care for each one of them on the battlefield (read micromanage). Once I get a full stack though, my care for them will be the same in total, so somewhat diluated for each of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yomamashouse View Post
    I have one complaint - this mod is so engrossing that I have lost the ability to enjoy any other mods. I tried others and they never matched up to EB.

I think Foot needs to put a warning saying "You may wish to play other mods before playing this mod, as EB will destroy your ability to find other mods exciting and fulfilling".

Milo Forsyth, Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts, Beyond Potter http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1772

Hugyfew's Avatar Libertus

I don't specifically like one thing or the other. They are all great, and the combination of them is what makes this an enjoyable experience.

"We all may be individuals, but there are things all individuals have in common"
    -LuckyPistol, 2014

Unit models, Siege maps and the Campaign map.

Things I like about the mod:

1) Immersion, it actually feels if you are in ME. This is achieved by having much custom settlements, the campaign map and Tolkienesque battles.
    2) It's difficult, if it's to easy it gets boring.
    3) Very different unit rosters for the factions, each faction has a unique feel.
    4) Importance of generals, if you loose a good general it's a big loss. Generals turn the tide of battle, their death can mean you loose a very big battle that you otherwise would have won.
    5) More turns a year. It doesn't feel real when you need 20+ years to travel the map with a diplomat or army.
    Last edited by Red Viper; June 22, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Lazer i would like to know your personal opinion .Do you agree with the ideas that have been stated ?
    I am asking you since as a developer you are the one that will decide about the mod .

Quote Originally Posted by polymorphic View Post
    Lazer i would like to know your personal opinion .Do you agree with the ideas that have been stated ?
    I am asking you since as a developer you are the one that will decide about the mod .

Yes, completely. I think that immersion is easily the number one thing simply because without it you don't have a game. As well immersion encompasses many different aspects of the game, really all of them minus maybe one or two. This is what I had guessed it would be but wasn't completely sure.

The combination of all aspects is what makes this mod one of the best TOTAL WAR mod ever.Its so huge - Scripts, Units, Lore, Information texts about everything in the game, factions and many more things... You cant specify one thing
    I choose to die on my feet, rather than live on my knees!

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    But that; Immersion in M-E and difficulty.
    this

I'm for good immersion and well balanced challange; models, UI's, units etc are surely important, but if the game is too easy or ends up to rape the lore, you have done a lot of useless work, IMO

good luck with the project anyway
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Immersion and correct lore. That is to say, the lore aspect should be as correct as possible at the start of the game.

I still didn't buy Rome II. Apart from the ridiculously large amount of bugs reported (should be a lot better now, I suppose) I really don't like the short lasting battles. This was also the reason why I didn't like and played shogun II nearly as much as I had hoped to. I saw some Rome II battles on youtube and they were all over in minutes,

I haven't been following the development and Mods of Rome II very closely though, so perhaps there is a way to make battles last (significantly) longer.

Nonetheless, I hope you will make a fine ME MOD.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    Immersion and correct lore. That is to say, the lore aspect should be as correct as possible at the start of the game.

I still didn't buy Rome II. Apart from the ridiculously large amount of bugs reported (should be a lot better now, I suppose) I really don't like the short lasting battles. This was also the reason why I didn't like and played shogun II nearly as much as I had hoped to. I saw some Rome II battles on youtube and they were all over in minutes,

I haven't been following the development and Mods of Rome II very closely though, so perhaps there is a way to make battles last (significantly) longer.

Nonetheless, I hope you will make a fine ME MOD.

Yea for us it isnt just about making Rome 2 into Lotr, its about making Rome 2 a VERY enjoyable experience, with LOTR.

Currently we have most mid tier battles lasting anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes depending on the player.

Also on the topic of lore, we are going solely on the books with little movie help. So it will be very accurate to lore.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Honestly for me to ever touch Rome 2 again you would need to do a VERY good job with your mod, and i mean better than TATW.

VektorT's Avatar Biarchus

The difficulty is awesome for seasoned Total War players. The faction diversity, with one being almost totally different from another. The custom settlements really makes you feel you are playing something else. Special units like spiders, trolls, Sauron, mumakil...!
    Last edited by VektorT; June 25, 2014 at 08:30 AM.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

As already said, immersion, and along with that, atmosphere are huge. You want to feel like you're in Middle Earth. There are a lot of elements that must come together to achieve these things, but two things in particular are lore and visuals. You've got to have the lore right, so my suggestion is to invite the heavy hitters in this area to your development group to provide assistance on that. Visuals, I think must be based on Peter Jackson's design. Even though his design is not 100% accurate to Tolkien's text, it has become one with all things LotR. Anything else will not feel right, imo, and will break any attempt to achieve immersion.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    You've got to have the lore right, so my suggestion is to invite the heavy hitters in this area to your development group to provide assistance on that.
    do it at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Visuals, I think must be based on Peter Jackson's design. Even though his design is not 100% accurate to Tolkien's text, it has become one with all things LotR. Anything else will not feel right, imo, and will break any attempt to achieve immersion.
    sadly for lore purists, this is true, though this won't prevent you lazser to improve those models and to remove some of the elements that clash more with lore
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast