Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capua and Rome

Default Capua and Rome

Hello. First I must say that I find Roma Surrectum 2 really great and only have a few points to criticize.

Now the question. Are there any differences between Capua and Rome? Like other units. So far, for me is just a boring Rome clone without cool legions.

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Capua and Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    Now the question. Are there any differences between Capua and Rome? Like other units. So far, for me is just a boring Rome clone without cool legions.
    Rome can recruit Legio VII or, if you upgrade the barracks, Praetorian Legions, while Capua can only recruit Legio VII.

Capua actually had legions like Rome?
    I havent tried Capua yet but it seems interesting.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

@romanius, I never played as Capua but in reality they never had legions as they never expanded far like Rome. If Capua can recruit legions in RS2 it's only to appreciate that they too could have developed an army similiar to Rome also if they had become supreme.

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Wait, you can play as Capua? I was just talking about what you can do with Capua in the Roman campaign! Sorry if I confused anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    Wait, you can play as Capua?.................
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

you can use capua as a economic region instead of a military one. it can be verry rich.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Scipio praeditus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Nine View Post
    Hello. First I must say that I find Roma Surrectum 2 really great and only have a few points to criticize.

Your assumption would be correct, besides the fact that Capua starts with a single Region (which is always a good thing), and you have a mighty enemy to face at first (also a good thing), it is indeed truly unfortunate that Capua is unable to recruit the various legions in the later game.
    "The only question that remained was whether the founders knew the final result of their creation, or if they themselves where the victims of a misunderstanding.
    In the latter case it was the duty of any thinking human, to press himself into the front of this depraved movement, to perhaps still prevent the extreme, in the former case the founders of this peoples disease must have been true devils; for only in the brain of a monster - not of a human - could the plan for an organisation take meaningfull form, whose purpose must lead toward the end result of a collapse of human culture and thus to the desolation of the world.
    In this case only battle remained as a means of final delivery, battle with any weapons that the human mind, intellect and will are able to comprehend, regardless, of whom fate would gift with it's blessing."

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    Your assumption would be correct, besides the fact that Capua starts with a single Region (which is always a good thing), and you have a mighty enemy to face at first (also a good thing), it is indeed truly unfortunate that Capua is unable to recruit the various legions in the later game.
    This could be partially (and in fact would make no real difference) achieved if an optional start-state could be created (which is more achievable and much easier to do) for Rome that was back to the single region (Roma), a bit like vanilla RTW ~300BC start. It would be 'Roma' and not 'Capua', but essentially the same.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio praeditus View Post
    I think you can, just requires changing around the files

I just installed RS 2.5 and patch it to RS 2.6 And I like what I see.
    Capua may be a roman city state and perhaps a clone. But it's fighting under another the Carthage banner.
    Which is odd, but it makes things even interesting.
    Gonna give it a swing.

In the short game their is not many differences but in the long run you cannot recruit the legions and the AOR is not the same as Rome.
    So in the long run is where you will see the differences.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The Capuans, like many other city states at this time, were decidedly different from the Romans in a lot of ways. For one thing, they lacked the 'imperative' of the Romans...by which I mean, the Romans were empire builders. They had a vision to control the world, and made it a reality. The Capuans, like Syracuse and Carthage, were only interested in being 'great' or powerful and respected economically. They were jealous of the Romans, governed by a different 'minded' set of rulers with different goals and visions, and were not really interested in controlling the world 'militarily'. Economically, yes. But not in the militaristic sense that Rome did.

This 'difference' is considered in the fact that Capua, though a 'Roman' city, was actually more culturally related to the Greeks and Roman in name only. Ultimately, this was their undoing. They weren't on the 'Roman bandwagon', so to speak, and sought only to look out for themselves and guard their position in the world. Thus, they sided with Hannibal and signed their own death warrant.

Having read about and researched Capua as much as I could before deciding to include them as a faction, it was apparent to me that they were not like the Romans at all, and would never have followed the paths the Romans did.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

So what exactly makes them unique as a faction? :S Do they get some unique units (other then the Companion Cavalry) do they get something else instead of numbered legions? Or are they just there as some kind of easter egg or something?

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    So what exactly makes them unique as a faction? :S Do they get some unique units (other then the Companion Cavalry) do they get something else instead of numbered legions? Or are they just there as some kind of easter egg or something?
    Doesn't seem like it.

Their factional units are the standard (pre-marian) "Allied X" type (so velites, cohort, triarii, equites) + campanian cavalry (not really the best unit though), and then AoR units.

However, to get the AoR units needs mostly tier 3 barracks (only a couple are at tier 2) which is a lot more annoying than the Roman (at least pre-marian) method of client state or just citizenship everywhere (much less turns, no need to fiddle with mineral import etc).

It would be oddly amusing to murder Rome really early on with like Luciani Light Infantry and tons of Allied Velites, but...
    Last edited by Alavaria; November 09, 2014 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Doesn't seem like it.

Their factional units are the standard (pre-marian) "Allied X" type (so velites, cohort, triarii, equites) + campanian cavalry (not really the best unit though), and then AoR units.

However, to get the AoR units needs mostly tier 3 barracks (only a couple are at tier 2) which is a lot more annoying than the Roman (at least pre-marian) method of client state or just citizenship everywhere (much less turns, no need to fiddle with mineral import etc).

It would be oddly amusing to murder Rome really early on with like Luciani Light Infantry and tons of Allied Velites, but...
    Well for the next patch I wouldn't mind seeing an expanded roster for the faction... perhaps make it a mix of Roman, Greek and Carthaginian units and give them some kind of unique Marian type Greek influenced legionaries.

Well for the next patch I wouldn't mind seeing an expanded roster for the faction... perhaps make it a mix of Roman, Greek and Carthaginian units and give them some kind of unique Marian type Greek influenced legionaries.
    Based on???????????

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Based on???????????
    Yeah, Capua is just supposed to die.

This thing where suddenly Capua overtakes Hannibal as the main threat, pretty much single-handedly wipes out Rome, and then starts murdering Hannibal because he sieged Arretium (because it borders Carthage's Genoa) is kind of silly.

As is murdering Rome's levy armies (but very expertly trained and super equipped!!) with huge amounts of velites** to the back... in fact, in a big picture sense:
    Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    not really interested in controlling the world 'militarily'. Economically, yes. But not in the militaristic sense that Rome did.
    This completely takes a 180 when the player hits the Start Campaign button.

When the Player Capua takes and "depopulates" Roma, there should be some sort of highly ironic popup. Like for example:
    During the Second Punic War (218-201 BC), they defected from the Romans to the Carthaginians after the battle of Cannae in August 216 BC. When the Romans recaptured Capua, they put a great deal of the population to the sword, thus ending the great tradition of heavy shock cavalry for the Romans.
    (Fortunately for Player Rome, the great tradition of heavy shock general's bodyguards remains)
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Capua
    During the Second Punic War (218-201 BC), they defected from the Romans and formed their own growing empire even before the battle of Cannae (which was a single unit of skirmishers walking into the settlement and then depopulating it).

When the Capuans captured Roma (in a blazing assault with modern Capuan artillery), they put a great deal of the population to the sword, thus ending the "great tradition" of Romans. Now, all roads (and sealanes) lead to Capua

**I should note that the unit is actually named "Capuan Skirmisher". Though it is obviously velite-looking, it properly shouldn't be treated any differently from saying "we murdered the romans with Capuan Akonistai"
    Last edited by Alavaria; November 09, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

some kind of unique Marian type Greek influenced legionaries.
    I'm going to pretend you were thinking of these type of levy soldiers

Legions of Pergamon, right?

But I think Capua, or anyone really, does not get these via AoR. However, you can get thorakritai, which in some cases do wear mail armor and use the classic oval scutum thureos.

Maybe play pretend and turn the various Thorakitai Argyraspides into it...
    Last edited by Alavaria; November 10, 2014 at 07:02 PM.

Legions of Capua!!!!!!! FTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast