Thread: [WIP]300/Rise of an Empire Hellenic unit reskin

Default [WIP]300/Rise of an Empire Hellenic unit reskin

I started on this a couple of weeks ago, but since I've seen a few people on the Steam Workshop requesting a proper Rise of an Empire Athenian unit reskin I thought I'd post my progress.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300athenians_5.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	309088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300athenians_1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	309089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300athenians_2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	309090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300athenians_3.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	442.2 KB 
ID:	309091

I made all the new uniform pieces from scratch, which include bracers, boots, belt/skirt, 2 helmet types w/5 crests and 3 faceplate variations, 3 variations of torso straps and 2 cloaks (cloaks look like balls though so I'll probably just end up using CA's cloaks...I suck at sculpting fabric in Zbrush).

This was originally going to be a reskin for the Athenians, but since Athens shares most of their units with other hellenic factions (except Sparta) it will apply to them as well. I will get around to doing Epirus and Macedon's unique units as well and try to give them a more unique look. Once I finish off a few more clothing variants I'll release the first version, which will be all Athenian units except Archers, Slingers and Javelinmen, then I'll get started on Sparta and the others.

Default Re: [WIP]300/Rise of an Empire Hellenic unit reskin

Nice!

Okay it's almost ready but I've hit a hurdle. I've made a bunch of custom skins for the barbarian model and applied them to the model via Hex editor as shown in one of Magnar's tutorials, and they show up just fine in the variant editor.

Name:	300athenians_6.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	309311

But ingame they look like this:

Name:	300athenians_7.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	309312

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I've made sure the texture files are correctly in the pack and in the correct directories, so I have no idea what's wrong.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MangoPunch View Post
    Okay it's almost ready but I've hit a hurdle. I've made a bunch of custom skins for the barbarian model and applied them to the model via Hex editor as shown in one of Magnar's tutorials, and they show up just fine in the variant editor.

Name:	300athenians_6.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	309311

But ingame they look like this:

Name:	300athenians_7.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	309312

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I've made sure the texture files are correctly in the pack and in the correct directories, so I have no idea what's wrong.
    Have you added all the .dds files including gloss etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Have you added all the .dds files including gloss etc..?
    That was my first thought. I made sure all the new .dds files are in the pack though, but when I edited the models in the hex editor I only redirected the diffuse textures to the new ones, I didn't bother with the other maps thinking the vanilla barbarian gloss/normal/spec maps would work just fine. I'll try adding new ones and see if that works.

Ah, I'm an idiot. Turns out I forgot the diffuse textures have to have '_diffuse' at the end of the name.

Hey, I actually downloaded this mod from the steam workshop because it looks spectacular especially those helmets and I use your units in the campaign.

But now i've got a sort of request which wouldn't take much if you'd be willing to do it . I understand if you're busy or just can't be bothered to do it but here it goes; is there a way you could make a 300 rise of an empire athenians rearmed version? There's a guy on the steam workshop called "Lord Buio" who made a 300 spartans rearmed which looked kinda awesome but i'd prefer it if it was done for the athenians because i love Athens. You can check out the 300 rearmed version yourself on steam workshop if you're willing to do the same for the athenians but basically all it is is the 300 leonidas unit without a tunic with a bronze plate, bronze shin guards and a bronze bracelet/arm-guard thing and that's it.
    Sorry, i don't know the specific names of the armour pieces.
    I personally think it would look great on these units because your athenians are some of the best i've ever seen and when I think of ancient Athens I like to think of similar soldiers to the ones you've just made except with a bit of armour and it doesn't have to be bronze, it can be the same colour as the helmets

Also +1 Reputation
    Last edited by Centurio (Latin); July 03, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

interesting but shouldn t the shields be made of bronze!?

Hate to necro stuff but right now it's fair.
    This made has been deleted from the steam workshop, is there any other way to get it? Is it uploaded somewhere?

I know this was made quite a while ago but is there any chance you have the files still ? I had them ages ago but after getting new computer and reinstallations over the years I lost it. It would be great if you could upload them somewhere for a short time for me to download and then you could remove it. I understand if you cannot or if you dont want to. Great work either way, just sad it had to go.