Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Unit Creation

That is probably because of animations. The precursor fire at will (probably) only works with sword animation sets. You'll need to edit the animations for spears a little too.

Here, I wrote a tutorial on how to do that.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Unit-Creation
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You'll need to edit the animations for spears a little too.
    Yeah, that worked, along with change in variantmesh. Thanks!

I seem to be having a problem.
    I created the unit, no problem, but when I tried to load a battle with the unit, both in campaign and custom, the game crashed during the loading screen. I can't seem to find the problem, so...halp?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCookie View Post
    I seem to be having a problem.
    I created the unit, no problem, but when I tried to load a battle with the unit, both in campaign and custom, the game crashed during the loading screen. I can't seem to find the problem, so...halp?
    When there is a crash like that (going into the battles) then it's because of animations. Javelin animations for infantry and cavalry have been changed for patch 15 so that's probably the cause.

When there is a crash like that (going into the battles) then it's because of animations. Javelin animations for infantry and cavalry have been changed for patch 15 so that's probably the cause.
    Well, the unit I created is an archer unit, but I think I know what you mean. What should/can I do right now?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

I don't know really, the only time I experianced that crash was with animaitons, it's probably something else for the unit that is only represented in battle. Keep an eye out for any blank columns.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

DramaBelli's Avatar Ministry of Silly Walks

thanks, irish companion, I've learnt how to make my own ui now

For those of you who are having problems with placing your variant mesh(the file just goes to the top, or under variantmeshes instead of variantmeshdefinitions).

1. Create a new mod in PFM.
    a) Go to the file dropdown menu
    b) Select My Mods
    c) Select New
    d) Make any name and directory path. Mine will be called MESHLOADER for convenience
    Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Total War Rome II\MESHLOADER

2). Now inside your Rome II folder there should be a folder with the title you just gave the mod. We're going to make a directory for you to add your variant meshes from.
    a) Create a new folder inside of Variant Mesh Loader, and title it variantmeshes
    b) Create a new folder inside of variantmeshes, and title it variantmeshdefinitions

3). Put your created variant meshes inside of variantmeshdefinitions.

4). Make sure that MESHLOADER is selected as your current mod. In the file dropdown menu, in My Mods, make sure MESHLOADER is checked. If you have multiple mods to choose from and it isn't checked, the problem will persist.

4). Use the Add Files option in PFM to add your meshes from variantmeshdefinitions. They should now have the correct path and not appear in odd places.

I figured this out completely on accident, after struggling for several hours. I'm still not entirely sure why it doesn't just work "out of the box", but what can you do? I hope this helps!

On the negative side, I can't get my own units to actually work. The game just crashes, and after five hours of looking for a mistake I've given up. I restarted twice, made a different mesh, and finally in desperation, literally cloned every row of a mod I know works, and just copy/pasted my new unit's name with a new unit ID. That crashed too. I got nothin'.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sacurason View Post
    On the negative side, I can't get my own units to actually work. The game just crashes, and after five hours of looking for a mistake I've given up. I restarted twice, made a different mesh, and finally in desperation, literally cloned every row of a mod I know works, and just copy/pasted my new unit's name with a new unit ID. That crashed too. I got nothin'.
    Thanks for the other post.

What kind of crash are you getting. Is the game failing to load or is it crashing going into battles?

Thanks for the other post.

What kind of crash are you getting. Is the game failing to load or is it crashing going into battles?
    xD This is why you need sleep. After a few hours rest I took another crack at it and it worked just fine. My best guess would be that I accidentally removed an underscore in one of the main branches when I was copy pasting. It's the only place I didn't strip-search.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

xD This is why you need sleep. After a few hours rest I took another crack at it and it worked just fine. My best guess would be that I accidentally removed an underscore in one of the main branches when I was copy pasting. It's the only place I didn't strip-search.
    Great, so it's working? What's the mod on?

Great, so it's working? What's the mod on?
    Glad you asked! Itis working right now. The mod a late-game unit overhaul for the Greek factions. I find the fact that only the Romans really see significant unit advancements as a result of technology trees, and want to introduce something similar for other factions.

After all, if Sparta conquers the world we're not being historically accurate anyways; they probably would have changed their military structure if they started conquering big chunks of land. So why not add that into the late-game so it's a bit less stale?

Glad you asked! Itis working right now. The mod a late-game unit overhaul for the Greek factions. I find the fact that only the Romans really see significant unit advancements as a result of technology trees *annoying*, and...
    Sorry for the double post. More sorry for the lack of an edit button for new members

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Glad you asked! Itis working right now. The mod a late-game unit overhaul for the Greek factions. I find the fact that only the Romans really see significant unit advancements as a result of technology trees, and want to introduce something similar for other factions.

After all, if Sparta conquers the world we're not being historically accurate anyways; they probably would have changed their military structure if they started conquering big chunks of land. So why not add that into the late-game so it's a bit less stale?
    Oh yeah I love mods that add in technological advancements for units. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Hey all, new to the forum (wewt) and modding, but I love the franchise and modding. The thing is, i'm no good at it. Yet... x) but I had a question. Instead of creating a brand-new unit to use and set it's stats and create a unit card for it, could I just create new general units from what already exist?

I have the all playable factions mod (kick ass mod, highly recommend) but some of the factions lack intimidating general units. Knossos and Rhodes for example, their 2 options of a general unit is the standard Hoplites, or the Citizen Cavalry. I would like to make the Hippeus Lancers available for Knossos and Rhodes, as well as perhaps making the Mercenary Veteran Hoplites available as a general unit, but having them just be called "Veteran Hoplites". Is this all possible? Because I do not want to create a brand new unit, just add in ones that are already in the game. Thanks in advance, and I hope everything made sense! xD

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

You PMed me the same thing, PMed you back! But here was my reply just incase anyone else is looking for the same thing.

Yes, you can set any unit as a general's bodyguard, you use commander_unit_permissions_tables. Set them as generals for custom battles with units_custom_battle_permissions_tables. You need to make sure that the unit is also avaliable for that faction, do that with units_to_groupings_military_permissions_tables.

Send me a link when you have the mod on the workshop!

So, is the template file no longer on the Steam workshop? Would be nice if you could upload it to a separate host of some kind. I've looked up and down the workshop page and subscribed and unsubscribed over and over to try to get it to show up somewhere, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the file to download, or at least download to a location that I can actually find it.

Sorry for the double post, I don't seem to have the edit function "unlocked" yet.

After a lot of back and forth and restarting Steam and opening the launcher, I finally got your template file to appear in my data folder like it should have.

Now, I'm running into another issue, which I'm assuming is because PFM might have received an update at some point between when you wrote your tutorial and now. When editing the main_units_tables db in your template, it's impossible for me to fill in the "land_units" column because it has a drop down menu and absolutely refuses to let me type anything in (I even get an error message at the bottom of the PFM saying it's not a valid value when I try to paste things into it). This is the case for a lot of the values in all of the databases that you say to fill in with the name of the unit. Nearly every single "template" value is a drop-down list with just "template" in it instead of just a simple text entry field.

Durador's Avatar Civis

You've got to uncheck combo boxes.