Thread: Sudden cash, sudden agents, sudden problem

Default Sudden cash, sudden agents, sudden problem

I've had a series of odd bugs, or at least one serious bug and a few odd events.

I'm playing as the Old Swiss Confederacy. My towns cannot seem to generate trade at all, especially since all my generals get the "Incompetent Trader" trait no matter what I do. My mining town in the southeast (Suenders or something) has the option to build a very expensive copper mine, but it doesn't generate any income at all even though it says it should. I already have a gold smelting place there. But Bern is different. I built a Big Inland Port there and its trade went from 0 to a few hundred instantly. Cobbled roads did the same thing. After that, every building that increased trade increased it so much that I make hundreds more thalers a turn and increase population growth by up to 4% per building. Trade-increasing buildings anywhere else aren't worth it because they generate maybe 20 thalers if I'm lucky. I have no idea why.

Another turn, I noticed that a bunch of agents spawned around Bern and that nearby foreign city belonging to some yellow faction. I got four merchants, a diplomat, a spy, a priest, and an assassin a cheesemaker, all of whom had 0 skill. The yellow faction got four merchants and a diplomat. I have no idea why.

The serious bug is a cursor issue, but not the usual one. I began a turn getting a message from the Merchant's Guild, which wanted me to buy out some nearish foreign merchant. I clicked on the magnifying glass button to show me where he was, and suddenly the cursor disappeared. It flickers on every few seconds, and still highlights whatever I mouse over, but I can't click on anything and have to quit by Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, punctuation, and correct spelling, then copy this into your signature.

Default Re: Sudden cash, sudden agents, sudden problem

Addendum: The disappearing cursor made one save unplayable, so I started a new campaign as Switzerland and kept two saves that I used alternately every turn. In one save, I'd get the CTD with the "Sorry, pal" message immediately after winning a battle with rebels. Two more saves fell victim to the disappearing cursor on the same turn, each after I got an offer to accept the West India Company guild. My cursor still works as long as the message is up, but once I close it out, it disappears.

I'm starting to think the extreme amount of trade in Bern (11 to 14 000+ thalers/turn from trade alone! ) and the sudden agent spawn are both intentional, since they happened again, so forget those.

So far, this is one of the best mods I've ever played. I love seeing my pikemen march to a steady drumbeat through the rain while dramatic music plays, I love the supply and forts system, and I can't remember the last time a game made me grin like this. It's outstanding. But it's unplayable for me now because of that verdammtes disappearing cursor.
    I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, punctuation, and correct spelling, then copy this into your signature.

There is an economy script that changes some things about trade, so tradewise what you see I think is normal. Gigantus knows more.

As for the other problems (crashes etc), please send us an error log. It is practically impossible to understand what may be going on without something to look at.

I think this is the error log. I could be wrong, since I haven't done this before.

23:29:54.538 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:29:54.538 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:29:54.538 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:29:57.925 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/1648_2/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 894, column 126
    unit(Kanone r) does not match up to the ownership for faction(repven)
    23:32:19.198 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Keine_Verpflegung>
    : PercentageUnitAttribute needs a living character with an army.

when testing <PercentageUnitAttribute> condition
    23:33:07.295 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>
    : PercentageUnitCategory needs a living character with an army.

when testing <PercentageUnitCategory> condition
    23:33:07.342 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:07.345 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:07.365 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:07.550 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:07.661 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:07.774 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:08.079 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <devastation_cav_living_on_land>

23:33:08.327 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Verpflegung>

23:33:08.328 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <Verpflegung>

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Check here for the reporting procedure: Error Reporting ReadMe

M2TW.system.log.rarAlright, how's this?

Blog Entries

I am afraid I can't find what is causing the disappearing cursor. I am however most amazed at the sheer number of these lines, roughly 2.2 million!:
    23:01:18.031 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/1648_2/data/menu/TEXTURES/BACKDROP.TGA
    This many calls for the file within a few minutes will have kept the processing overloaded and thus caused the crash - but I haven't got the vaguest idea what triggered it in the first place.

Maybe I did the log wrong. I couldn't exit the mod the normal way after the cursor disappeared and had to Ctrl+Alt+Del.

For what it's worth, I originally installed the mod in the local disk C-Drive, since I use Vista and I thought I read that Vista users should install the mod outside of program files. However, I moved the whole mod to the M2TW mods folder in Program Files after being unable to start the mod, and I was able to play after that.

Moreover, the game didn't crash. It kept going fine in every way, except that after receiving certain pop-ups at the beginning of the turn, the cursor disappeared. I could sometimes click on things by moving my cursor to the edges of the screen, since the cursor would appear as an arrow if you moved it to the edge to scroll around. But that's it. Most of the time, my cursor's fine, and I've been able to start a new campaign without problems so far. I'm pretty sure they'll come back, though.

Interestingly, my cursor, both inside and outside of M2, has been moving around slightly when I'm not touching it. It'll just drift around a little. I'm not sure when exactly this started, but it's recent.

Blog Entries

Check the restore points and see what got installed recently. (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery)

"All Control Panel Items" is not listed in the Control Panel. I just have System and Maintenance, Security, Network and Internet, Hardware and Sound, Programs, User Accounts and Family Safety, Appearance and Personalization, Clock, Language, and Region, Ease of Access, and Quick Time in the Control Panel.

Blog Entries

Go to the right of that page you got - click on 'View by' and choose 'large icons' - that will switch to 'all control panel items' and is way more convenient from my point of view. You can then drag the icon in the addressbar to your desk top and have a short cut to that view. It's one the first things I do when I do my regular "nuke and restore".

Apologies for the late reply.

There's no option to click "View By."

Here's what my control panel looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control Panel.jpg  

Ugh. Never mind. All of my save games, all of them, have stopped loading entirely. I get that awful CTD whenever I try to load them, every single time. This has killed pretty much every campaign I've ever started in this mod, always in the 1620s. In the past, I've just started a new campaign, but after five campaigns got wiped out in this way, I think I'm just going to give up on this mod. It was fun, but it's completely unplayable.

You should upload a save game, maybe the modders can find what's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasqua View Post
    Ugh. Never mind. All of my save games, all of them, have stopped loading entirely. I get that awful CTD whenever I try to load them, every single time. This has killed pretty much every campaign I've ever started in this mod, always in the 1620s. In the past, I've just started a new campaign, but after five campaigns got wiped out in this way, I think I'm just going to give up on this mod. It was fun, but it's completely unplayable.
    Sorry to hear it is not working for you. An error log might help or a save game as k/t suggested. I have the feeling that with all those reports on the backdrop.tga missing, if these or similar problems are logged in the savegames, those files will be enormous and will exceed the memory capacity of the computer.

In the folder data\menu\ there should be a file called bacdrop.tga. Do you have that? If you are missing this file I can attach it somewhere for you so you do not have to re-install.