Thread: Modding skins

Icon9 Modding skins

Hi everybody !

I am big fan of Total War games (especially Rome 1&2) and at the moment, i am modding Rome 1.
    I prevent you, i am new and I mod for fun, it's not badass work. I have a big problem when editing document ".TGA.dds"

Look at this horrible crest ... its not the first time it appears.
    WTF.xcf

I use DDS converter 2 and GIMP 2.6. Every time i do edit units with crest or other accessories on the helmet, sides are colored where they have to be unvisible... It makes me angry.

I think the problem is caused by converting files from "DDS" to "jpg". Are the settings badly configured ?
    DDS Converter 2.xcf

Thank you very much for your help !

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Modding skins

Moved from TW GD to Rome Workshop
    There is/was a DDS convertor built into GIMP. I am sure there is still a tutorial in here to explain it.

Thank you for your answer (and sorry i was in the wrong category to post my problem).
    I already tryed to use the DDS plugin. Everytime i wanna save it says : "DDS: It appears your image may be a volume map, but not all layers are the same size, thus a volume map cannot be written." I don't understand this.
    The only time I reached saving (i don't know how i did it lol) the game crashed when loading custom battle ...
    I will look after a tutorial to find a solution.

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusII View Post
    Hi everybody !

I am big fan of Total War games (especially Rome 1&2) and at the moment, i am modding Rome 1.
    I prevent you, i am new and I mod for fun, it's not badass work. I have a big problem when editing document ".TGA.dds"

Look at this horrible crest ... its not the first time it appears.
    WTF.xcf

I use DDS converter 2 and GIMP 2.6. Every time i do edit units with crest or other accessories on the helmet, sides are colored where they have to be unvisible... It makes me angry.

I think the problem is caused by converting files from "DDS" to "jpg". Are the settings badly configured ?
    DDS Converter 2.xcf

Thank you very much for your help !
    Save the xcf as a .tga file to reduce it to one single layer. Then save it as a dds and chose for compression BC3/DTX5 and tick "generate minimaps". I think it will work but if not give some feedback.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

I love you dude it works !
    An only thing : the standard's sword disappeared 0.o but there's not problem when checking the TGA.dds. An idea ?

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Only i can think of is that you have assigned the texture to a different model. The model CAS. file might be placing the sword texture on a different place on the texture itself.
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

I don't thin it's that :/

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

have you checked on the alphas? can you post the texture here that would be great.

What I do is I go to file/export_as and I export it to my desktop as a .tga or .jpg. It might not be the solution to your particular problem but give it a try!
    Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist,

While you guys were arguing about the glass of water and how full it was, I actually drank it!

Sincerely,
    The Opportunist