Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World Realism [starts June 23 Midnight UK!]

Frederich Barbarossa's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Edinburgh, Scotland (From Kendall, Florida and proud!)

Default Re: World Realism [starts June 23 Midnight UK!]

Quote Originally Posted by ♛☧Priscilla☧♛ View Post
    I created a subforum for you and added your population and revolt rolls to the relevant thread here. The dice haven't been kind to you old bean, looks like you're off for a really rough start.

Also since you have gold as your starting resource you can use it for food and avoid famine.

The dice rolls have been very very generous to about half the players and not so kind to the other half. It's been tough for players in resource rich areas.
    His highness, žežurn I, Keng of Savomyr!

Kirila the Kitten's Avatar Primicerius

RIP 6%, never forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Kitten View Post
    RIP 6%, never forgotten.
    How do you think I feel. I lost around 30-35% in two years, but recovered with an 18% increase this turn which was great. You should post faction info btw. ;D

Whaaa? I see nobody posted yet, I am waiting for a template

Quote Originally Posted by Kirila the Kitten View Post
    Whaaa? I see nobody posted yet, I am waiting for a template
    Around half the people have posted old bean

You can use this template:
    - Amount of provinces you control. It is suggested that you name your provinces to simplify accounting.
    - Population in each province you control.
    - List of resources your colony has access to.
    - Your total army size.
    - Your total navy size.
    - Amount of soldiers and ships stationed/docked in each province you control.
    - If you have soldiers and/or ships outside of your territory, account for them using an edited map where you point out where and how many they are.
    - Roleplay is optional but highly encouraged. Describe your colony, the structure of the government, the prominent explorers and leaders, the culture. Describe your army and navy, the landmarks of growth and expansion, the current mood of the people. These details bring your faction to life and make it more pleasant for other people to interact with. It's quite boring to deal with a colony that is just a bunch of numbers.

For an example you can look at my faction:
    http://worldrealism.forumotion.co.uk...ction-overview

Spain just posted regarding an expedition to find El Dorado btw.

templates ? Edited maps ? Priscilla surely knows I'm quite a visuals - type person. WR forum told me I couldn't post links ( like image hosting site link ) for 14 days because I'm a new forum member. I've actually done quite a bit of work on my faction, and not just story and pictures . The number crunching is just going to HAVE to wait until tomorrow , Real life stuff you know, in case anyone looks at WR forum and assumes I've been doing nothing except uploading an un-informative dull story.

Sorry, but I think I'll be out of this. Seems too complicated.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I might make a faction. I dunno, the new rules and such are really turning me off, WR was never a lot of work before, and we never had to pay attention to realism before.

Mate one of the members is 11 and he understood all the rules.

The rules are mainly for moderators to abide by. All you guys have to do is crunch pop and revolt numbers. You have the internet to help you.

all factions that are inactive please tell me. They are clogging up the forum!

I find it surprising that people find this more complicated than the last games. Past world realisms built on arbitrary guesses for different factions armies and economies. How you can determine your exact population and army with a two-step calculation, and the economy needs no calculations at all. Maybe people just dont want any kind of math in their forum games?

So you start with 3 provinces and each province has 4000 population. 4000 x 3 = 12000. So your pop is 12000.

Your army is 20% of your population, so 12000 x 0.2 = 2400.

I really didnt expect this would be too complicated for people on a strategy gaming forum
    Last edited by ♛☧Priscilla☧♛; June 27, 2014 at 04:27 AM.

We are spoiled with RTDs here. I am not into numbers though I like Maths.

I must completely agree with Priscilla on this matter. For a strategy game forum this is a bit disappointing as most of the actual players are kids who play minecraft and they don't mind the number crunching as much.

I don't play Minecraft!

EDIT: Oh sorry.
    Last edited by Kirila the Kitten; June 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM.

He wasn't even talking about you. He was talking about the people in the other forum.

Thank you for clarification!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by ♛☧Priscilla☧♛ View Post
    I find it surprising that people find this more complicated than the last games. Past world realisms built on arbitrary guesses for different factions armies and economies. How you can determine your exact population and army with a two-step calculation, and the economy needs no calculations at all. Maybe people just dont want any kind of math in their forum games?

So you start with 3 provinces and each province has 4000 population. 4000 x 3 = 12000. So your pop is 12000.

Your army is 20% of your population, so 12000 x 0.2 = 2400.

I really didnt expect this would be too complicated for people on a strategy gaming forum
    I don't like everyone having the same population or military size, and I don't like the rules dictating the size of my army. I liked the arbitrary guesses, it made the game fun. IDK, this iteration just doesn't hold the appeal. It's not just that system, it's the resource system. I don't recall resources ever being real things that were put on a map, and I don't recall there ever being a possibility of famine because you wanted to rule a weird place.

Let me put it this way. I took Alaska. Now, with three provinces of Alaska, I probably wouldn't have had more than 1,000 people in the old system. With that population, I could safely and unrealistically build my nation into an empire with the proper skill of governance and enough favor from the dice gods, and my bizarre Papal colony in Alaska could become a superpower from nothing because it's balanced for its region (as by the old system the neighboring regions would be similarly sized). By this system, I get more people, but because of rules on where you can locate your faction in order to grow I cannot ever really expand because my people will all die (being far too populous for the region).

If we wanted to make this an Alliance game, where rules and calculations forced players into warfare, this would be a great ruleset, but for the freedom of play style that always used to characterize WR, it's not good at all. If anything, this will add to the already-much-too-high likelihood of the massive World War gangbangs previous WRs have died with.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I don't like everyone having the same population or military size, and I don't like the rules dictating the size of my army. I liked the arbitrary guesses, it made the game fun. IDK, this iteration just doesn't hold the appeal. It's not just that system, it's the resource system. I don't recall resources ever being real things that were put on a map, and I don't recall there ever being a possibility of famine because you wanted to rule a weird place.

Let me put it this way. I took Alaska. Now, with three provinces of Alaska, I probably wouldn't have had more than 1,000 people in the old system. With that population, I could safely and unrealistically build my nation into an empire with the proper skill of governance and enough favor from the dice gods, and my bizarre Papal colony in Alaska could become a superpower from nothing because it's balanced for its region (as by the old system the neighboring regions would be similarly sized). By this system, I get more people, but because of rules on where you can locate your faction in order to grow I cannot ever really expand because my people will all die (being far too populous for the region).

If we wanted to make this an Alliance game, where rules and calculations forced players into warfare, this would be a great ruleset, but for the freedom of play style that always used to characterize WR, it's not good at all. If anything, this will add to the already-much-too-high likelihood of the massive World War gangbangs previous WRs have died with.

I do agree the formation of 2 coalitions is what brought WR down before. People would always form two massive alliances and just engage in a cold war.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast