Thread: Pergamon - Greek or Thracian?

Default Pergamon - Greek or Thracian?

Sorry for the stupid question, but after I read descriptions of units I'm confused. Was Pergamon a Greek or Thracian kingdom?

Default Re: Pergamon - Greek or Thracian?

I think it was an Arcadian colony.
    Thrace had control of it for a while but it became independent.

Pergamon emerged from the Diadochioi when Alexanders' empire tore apart into the kingdoms we know: Seleucids, Pontus, Bactria, Ptolemaics... So it's an successor state and Attalos I. was their first king, so they were called Attalids. But it's true that they had a lot of Thracian influence, that's why they have so many Thracian mercenaries.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

The Pergamons were essentially a Greek state. They were 'dominated' by Alexander and the Thracians for a time, but after they became independent, the Kingdom of Pergamon was actually the the only thriving and growing Greek state during the RS2 time period. They heavily supported Athens and Athenian building projects....mirrored Athenian architecture and ideas...and often fought on the side of the Romans against the Seleucids.

Bithynia, on the other hand, was a more heavily 'Thracian influenced' kingdom, and were the enemies of the Pergamons.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father