Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early American Revolution: Play as the United States, Grand Campaign (v1.05, December 2014)

Default Re: Early American Revolution: Play as the United States, Grand Campaign (v1.05, December 2014)

File is 52 mb while the normal startpos is 66mb

Default Re: Early American Revolution: Play as the United States, Grand Campaign (v1.05, December 2014)

I tried your steps but it still does not work

its normal that the size is different since its a hybrid,
    if the startpos comes with a scripting.lua file, -then you must replace that file at the same time,
    making a backup of both the old files before naturally !

i suggest using the standard preferences script, -that is, dont activate any mod the first time you fire up the game,
    and then step by step add them and see how it works

i saw you asked for mods in "all factions unlocked no FoW" thread,
    are you requesting the early protectorates mod ?
    My 6 2nd rates routed in horror from 1 brig + 1 5th rate on auto-resolve....

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

poa is right, the 52Mb size is normal for a hybrid startpos and Early American Revolution uses hybrid startpos files. If the startpos files do not work for you after you have installed one of them correctly, then I cannot help you. I am sorry about that - I recommend trying one of the other mods which unlock the United States, listed in my previous post above.

If you find a way to use the startpos files, or if you use another mod to provide a startpos (e.g. Empire Total Factions) and want to try using the Early American Revolution mini-mods to add units, then poa's advice - to try adding mods one by one - is probably the best way to find out which of your mods are compatible. I suggest adding the mods which change the appearance of units and sounds first, since they are very unlikely to conflict with this mini-mod.

Early American Revolution v1.05 - Compatibility version

As an experiment, I created a 'compatibility version' of Early American Revolution. This version is different from the regular version in two ways:-
    1. The files are in 'mod' format, not 'movie' format, so they will need to be activated with a user script file (or by adding appropriate lines to your existing user script file). An example of a user script file is included. This might reduce incompatibility with other mods, if it enables the game to resolve conflicts by giving priority to one mod rather than another.
    2. I edited the unit_stats_land table to remove many of the rows, which might reduce incompatibility with other mods.

If you would like to try the compatibility version (which just includes the mini-mods which add and alter units, not the startpos files) then you would need to:-

- Download the files

- Unzip the files (they were zipped with 7zip; the user.empire_script.txt file was not zipped)

- Put the files which you want to use in your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data file. (That is the path for a Windows 7 PC; if you computer is different, the path may vary. You would definitely need to use EAR_unit_stats_compat_v105.pack and EAR_units_for_factions_compat_v105.pack; EAR_equal_navy_compat_v105 is optional, depending on whether you want to use the Equal Navy mini-mod.

- The user.empire_script.txt file goes in C:/Users/[your user name]/AppData/Roaming/The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts. This file must correspond exactly to the names of the mods in your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data folder or the game will crash on launch. For example, if you use this user.empire_script.txt file (which includes a line for the Equal Navy mini-mid, EAR_equal_navy_compat_v105.pack) but if you decide not to use that mod and do not put the mod in your Empire Total War/data folder, then the game will crash. You can edit the user.empire_script.txt file with Notepad. Players who already have a user.empire_script file do not need to use this one - you can simply add lines to your existing user.empire_script file (of course, don't forget to add a semi-colon after each line, before the last line.)It is a good idea to check that your user.empire_script.txt file contains the exact names of the mods which you use. For example, if you add a line in the user.empire_script.text file for EAR_unit_stat_compatibility_v105.pack but the mod is called EAR_unit_stats_compatibility_v105.pack, then the game will crash on launch.

I tested the compatibility version for the first 9 years of a campaign, including three battles, and it worked. Because I deleted a low of rows in the unit_stats_land table, it is likely that a few of the changes to units (listed above) will not be included in this version.

If this does not work, then I am sorry. Because I have not experienced this problem and because the game provides no information about what is wrong when it crashes, I do not know what else to suggest. If this does not work, then I recommend trying one of the other mods which add units to the United States, listed in my previous post above.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; February 21, 2015 at 03:04 AM.

Dude, di you say that there is a 1 turn recruitment mod in this mod?

There is one turn recruitment for some units which (in previous versions of the mod) took two turns to recruit. For example, in v1.05, Revolutionary Guards take one turn to recruit. However, I have not introduced 'one turn recruitment' for units generally. Highland Infantry, which are unlocked by this mod, still take two turns to recruit (mainly because, when I play as Ireland, Britain will overwhelm my Irish army with a big army including several Highland Infantry regiments otherwise.)

Thats why it does not work. One turn mods makes my game ctd. It finally work.It was the accuracy and the new line infantry.

Now because of that I conquered the world within 73 turns.

Hi, I don't want to be a bother, but I've played grand campaign about a billion times as almost every faction and always wanted to play as the US. This sounds promising but I have no idea what I'm doing, so I was wondering if you could take some time and explain it in detail to me. A step by step guide if you will. I would really like to play this mod, but I've never installed one before. I don't know where to start.

Welcome, xXILOOKOUTIXx. Here's what to do:-

1. Read the information about the startpos files at the top of the original post on this thread. A startpos is a file which the game uses to define the world (e.g. which region belongs to which faction and which factions are playable) at the start of the grand campaign. Choose one startpos (obviously, you can try all of them if you want to. If you want to try a different startpos, you will need to start a new campaign).

2. Look at the information on the mini-mods, above in the original post on this thread. Decide whether you want to use them or not. The mini-mods allow the United States and other factions to recruit extra units. You could try either these mini-mods or another mod such as the Additional Units Mod or md1453's US units mod (there are links to both of those mods in the original post).

3. Consider whether you want to use any other mods as well, such as Shokh Hates Sieges (to reduce the number of siege battles, if you find them repetitive and prone to lag), a mod to improve the AI such as Bran's Empire Campaign AI, a mod to remove torrential weather such as my Weather mod, a mod to remove or nerf unhistorical ships or a complete naval realism mod such as Dracula's Naval Realism Mod, etc. A number of the mini-mods which are optional features of my These United Colonies mod should also work with Early American Revolution, including the unit experience mod and the projectile (artillery range) mod - those mods are in the first and second posts of the These United Colonies thread. Unfortunately, some mods - especially mods which add units or use their own startpos file - are not compatible with Early American Revolution.

4. When you have chosen which Early American Revolution files you would like to download, download them using the links at the bottom of the original post, above.

5. Do you have a piece of software called 7zip (or other software which unzips compressed files). If you don't, search online for 7zip and download and install it.

6. Unzip the Early American Revolution files (if you have 7zip installed, you find the zipped file, right-click on it and select '7zip' and then 'extract files')

7. How to install the startpos: (a) find the
    C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data/campaigns/main folder. Create a sub-folder called 'Vanilla Startpos'. Cut and paste the startpos.esf file in that folder into your new sub-folder. ('Vanilla' refers to the game without mods. If you want to 'restore vanilla', in other words to stop using Early American Revolution, you will simply remove the Early American Revolution startpos and put the startpos.esf in the sub-folder back in the campaigns/main folder.) Rename your chosen Early American Revolution startpos file so that it is called startpos.esf. Move this file into your C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/campaigns/main. If you start the game normally and begin a Grand Campaign, you should now have the option of playing as the United States.

8. If you want to use the Early American Revolution mini-mods, to add units, find your
    C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Empire Total War/data folder. Copy the Early American Revolution mini-mod files - EAR_unit stats.pack and EAR_units for factions.pack into that folder. That's it - you do not need to activate them with a mod manager or user script file. If you start the game and play as the United States, you will now be able to recruit the extra units listed in the original post.

Early American Revolution comes with an optional Equal Navy mini-mod. This mods replaces overpowered guns on some ships (e.g. galleys and galleons) with more realistic cannon; it also gives equal accuracy and reloading rates to ships belonging to different countries. Version 1.04 of Equal Navy contains an error (one type of Heavy First Rate ships is missing an entire deck of cannon!) so I do not recommend using it. If you like the idea of Equal Navy, the current version, 1.06, is available here. v1.06 fixes the error in 1.04 and gives equal hull strengths to ships belonging to different countries.

I hope that makes sense. Just let me know if you get stuck, aren't sure or if problems occur.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 09, 2015 at 02:16 AM.

Nice thx

Welcome to TWC and thanks for the comment, isthattrue!

Awesome mod,but its crashing every time at the end of turn 4.Ive tried few times same result.Ive also tried following the fix (delete preferences) but its still crashing.

Thanks for reporting this. I'm sorry to hear about these crashes, this sounds frustrating. I can think of three possible reasons - I can't guarantee that they explain why the crashes are happening or that the problem can be fixed.

Are you fortifying Boston? If you do this, the game will crash. This would be the easiest problem to solve. If you don't fortify Boston and don't allow the AI to capture it, you'll be okay. When I use this mod, I also use Shokh Hates Sieges, which prevents both the player and AI factions from fortifying cities - if you're using that mod, then the AI won't be able to fortify Boston even if they capture it.

Are you using other mods? A clash between mods can cause crashes. You could try taking out mods to see if the game works, but of course I appreciate that you probably won't want to do that.

Are you using a Mac? This mod was developed on a Windows PC and it seems that, unfortunately, mods developed on PCs often don't work on Macs. Unfortunately, if this is the problem, I don't know of a solution.

If this mod doesn't work for you, and if you'd like to play as the United States, then there are lots of other mods you could try. They include Empire Total Factions (play as the US from 1700 or in the late campaign which starts in the 1780s), Imperial Splendour: Rise of the Republic (play as the US in the late campaign) and The American Revolution. Empire Total Factions would give you more of a vanilla-style playing experience; Imperial Splendour and (I believe) The American Revolution would make significant changes to game-play. Both Imperial Splendour and The American Revolution recently released new versions. A full list of mods with links is in this post.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12