Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is dead may never die

jacb547's Avatar Primicerius

Default What is dead may never die

Maester Wendamyr, Pyke

The Maester sped his way through a rope bridge in order to reach the Seatower where Lord Balon's solar was, in his hands he clutched a raven newly arrived. War it seems, alas for House Targaryen Wendamyr was born in the Iron Islands, the third son of Lord Saltcliffe, Theon Saltcliffe who styled himself a Lord alike those of the Greenlanders had sent him to the citadel to be a Maester yet the costumes of Oldtown never suited him well. It is no concern of the Ironborn what happens in the Greenlands yet he could not help but wonder what Lord Balon would do. Knocking softly on the door the Maester entered the solar, damp and lit only by a dying hearth it seemed rather desolate. In a chair next to the flame Lord Balon Greyjoy, his liege, sat observing the fickle fire.

"My lord, there has been a raven." Wendamyr spoke with a deep respect to the Lord Reaver, Balon beckoned him closer. "Robert Baratheon has risen in rebellion against the Iron Throne, Houses Stark, Arryn and Tully support him."
    The Greyjoy was silent for a few minutes staring at the fire as if he had not heard Maester Wendamyr, who remained bowed, before he finally spoke with command on his voice. "Send ravens to the Lords, Goodbrother, Harlaw, Saltcliffe and the lot, a rider to Lordsport. Tell them I wish all of the gathered here within the forthnight. Ulf." Out of the shadows stepped a great man, Ulf "One Eye" Ironmaker, captain of the guard and closest counselor of Lord Greyjoy, he had lost and eye in the fingerdance and sported graying beard and hair. "Send word for my brothers and sons, to the captains as well, I wish to call a council." The raider bowed and left in haste, so did Wendamyr, speeding to the Rookery to find his ravens.

Victarion Greyjoy, the Sea Tower, Pyke, ten minutes later

The big captain carried himself with pride through the bridge War it is then Victarion loved a fight but would respect Balon's decision whatever it was, he was no great leader only a captain and a soldier. Still, I'd love a good fight True there was nothing the Iron Captain liked more then a fight, except perhaps his ship, as did most true Ironmen. Upon reaching the solar he found the room almost full, next to his brother chair his nephew Rodrik stood silently waiting his father's command, on a corner Ulf "One Eye" and Olaf Sharp conversed quietly while his nephew Maron impatiently trodden about. Victarion's eyes however were drawn to Kenna, a fierce shieldmaiden of no particular beauty who had won his heart with naught but her skill in battle, she smiled at him and acknowledged him with a bow.

"Lord Victarion" Maester Wendamyr had stood close by to the door and bowed deeply before him while all the others acknowledged his presence. The captain despised the Maester whom he saw as turned soft by the Greenlands. "Brother I assume you were told?" "Yes, brother, war in the Greenlands." It was his brother Balon who addressed him but they were both interrupted by Maron "We should join our men with Robert!" The boy said.
    "Why?" Replied Olaf Sharp from a corner, the experienced reaver had a scar running down his entire face
    "He fights the Dragon oppressors!"
    "And you think we would be free under him? No he'd have us bend the knee all the same."
    "But we'd have greater freedom!"
    "We will not have our freedom as long as we bow to a Greenlander King."
    "What would have us do? Fight for the Targaryens?"
    "SILENCE! The both of you. I shall hear none of this until the council is full." Spoke his brother Balon, it was true they still awaited Aeron and The Crow's Eye, two brothers Victarion despised. ​But still he waited.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: What is dead may never die

Euron wondered into the 'council', lateness was expected of the Crow's Eye. He wore a soft, white clothen shirt and vest atop that, with a simple yet sturdy pair of leather pants for comfort. "Beloved brothers, darling nephews, and daring captain. Its truly touching that you all wait on my account. " His smiling eye passed over each, first falling on Maron, then Rodrick, Balon, that Maester turned to pudding by the Greenlanders, big-burly Victorian, then his Kenna it rested there for half a heart beat longer than necessary as he locked eyes a smirk playing itself across his fair face, Ulf and Olaf too, and finally it came to rest where his youngest brother should have been, 'this meeting will certainly smell less of piss' he thought to himself. "Apologies for my tardiness. I was off enjoying the pleasures of a girl back aboard the Silence." his smiling eye danced in the light, drunk on mirth, "Tell me what is this I hear of war?"
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; June 12, 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Victarion Greyjoy

Victarion clenched his fists and gritted his teeth at his brother Euron What a fool he is, not a true Ironborn no. Victarion himself wore chainmail hauberk over a dark tunic with the Greyjoy Kraken emblazoned on his chest, the captain stayed silence he wished to cause no fights. Balon sighted loudly "It seems we will start without Aeron" The Drunken fool "Robert Baratheon has raised his flags in rebellion against the throne, claiming his stolen bride and justice for his murdered friends, Arryn, Stark and Tully have joined him." Maester Wendamyr cleared his throat and unrolled a letter, recently arrived:
    Lord Greyjoy, greetings.

I know the Ironborn are a strong, practical people, so I write to you to offer you the most practical solutions.
    Declare for Robert Baratheon and you will be rewarded richly.
    Send your son Rodrik to accompany me and my armies while we march and I will pay a dowry of 40,000 gold dragons to whichever mainland wife he chooses - a mere foretaste of the prosperity we can all expect under Baratheon rule.

By his own hand,
    ~ Lord Hoster Tully
    "This Lord Tully would have us join him in rebellion, he intends to buy our loyalty." Balon was emotionless and all remained silent "I bid you speak your minds."
    Maron was the first to answer as loudly as before "We should join him! Send me in Rodrik's place if he wishes not to go."
    "This is not the Ironborn way, we shouldn't interfere with the Greenlands." Ulf "One Eye" replied.
    Rodrik rested his hand on Balon's shoulder and Victarion remained silent, he would follow Balon's decision. Whatever it was.
    "We all know whatmy brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right. I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

"Ulf is half right." Euron said slyly, "We don't bow and scrap to Greelanders, that much is true enough. Or at least it had been, once we lorded over the Riverlands yet now this Hoster Tully thinks to command us with gold and words, as if we were cheap whores." his smiling eye darted about the room before resting on Balon, "My fellows we are Ironborn, as Balon so loves to remind us, and was it not the Drowned god who made us to reave and rape, to write our names in fire, blood, and song?" he pointed to a nearby map of Westeros, "By right everything within earshot of the sea belongs to us and ours. Let them have their blood, their war, and their iron chair, we'll take their gold for our pockets, their women for our cocks, and their children for our mines. Their lands will be undefended, men and ships off fighting a pointless struggle for a seat of broken blades, and while their away the Ironmen will play. Declare for neither and let us return to the Old Way of our forefathers and their's before them."
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; June 12, 2014 at 11:16 PM.

Victarion Greyjoy

As much as the big man hated to admit he found himself in agreement with Euron, despite his sly words. And it seemed Balon did as well, the Lord Reaver threw the scroll in the fire burning all of Tully's words "Aye, he would pay the gold price for our loyalty. We do not pay the gold price, we are Ironborn we take what we want with iron and steel we will pay the Iron price for their gold, woman and riches. Let them fight for their Iron chair, we will wreak havoc on the defenseless and the weak and take their woman as salt wives and their children as thralls." Balon now stood up "That is my decision, we will bow to none and we will take what we want. Assemble the captains and call the fleets, Ulf you I send to Great Wyk to roust the many Goodbrothers and Olaf you are to head for Old Wyk and roust the Stonehouses and the Drumms. Rodrik go to Orkmont and bring us the ships of Orkwood, the Harlaws will come to us." All men nodded and muttered obedience, Balon now faced Euron "Euron, ride fast to Lordsport and command the ships of the Botleys, Saltcliffes and Sunderlys. Take these men south and wreak havoc on the Reach. Victarion you will command our fleet and that of Lonely Light and attack the shores of the North, Maron will go with you together with Aeron once we find the drunken fool. The rest will report back here at Pyke."

Victarion was glad to finally march to a fight and he left the hall smiling, Now all the Greenlanders will see who truly ruled the waves.

Lord Harlaw is bought before lord Greyjoy, a sly grin on his face as he nods his head in respect to Euron, Balon and Victarion in turn.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

OOC: Gandalf shall we just move our conversation here? I didn't realise there was a thread for gathering Ironborn all ready.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Gloucester View Post
    Lord Harlaw is bought before lord Greyjoy, a sly grin on his face as he nods his head in respect to Euron, Balon and Victarion in turn.
    Balon Greyjoy, a few days later, Lordsport overlook

The Lord Reaper of Pyke stood in silent comtemplation of his ships, hundreds were swarming into the harbor as of now, fearsome raiders and proud Lords Finally we will be great again. Balon found himself on a small hill overlooking the port of Lordsport, together with him were his brothers Euron and Victarion, a half dozen other nobles, and twenty mean looking guards. As Harlaw made his way up the hill he was greeted by Balon.

"Lord Harlaw, I spied your ship this morning, are you aware of the situation?"

OOC: I don't mind

Harlaw slithered forward, giving a slight giggle - probably unnerving to those who weren't used to the odd lord's presence.

Wolves burning, Stags marching, Eagles soaring. It's all very poetic, whilst we all wait. Perhaps it is time to reap what we deserve, lord reaper.

Ivar grinned, a hissing sound escaping from his lips as he twiddled with the Harlaw sigil on his surcoat.

Balon Greyjoy, Lordsport overlook

Balon was not sure if he the Harlaw youth was mocking him or not, that was to be decided later he guessed, at least he was aware of the situation "Yes that is why I have called the fleets here to Pyke, we will raid the southern shores and we will take what is ours! The Greenlanders will learn once more to fear the sound of waves and the sight of our sails." Lord Greyjoy never diverted his eye from the port, his new facial expression was mighty and imposing, kingly some might say "I intend to loose you and my brother Euron on the Reach to teach the flowermen a lesson, how many ships have you brought Harlaw?"

Ivar giggled at the thought of the flowers running in terror, as the reapers scythe cut.

The flowers will burn! I have bought nigh 200, but my land levies are still all on Harlaw.

​Ivar said, licking his lips.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Farlun Seaton, a Drowned Man of the Drowned God, arrived to the meeting, "My Lords indeed now is a time to bring the Iron Price back to the Greenlands, but the Drowned God has suggested to me another target to what you propose."

Ivar gazed at the drowned man, curiosity filling his face.

​Speak, Drowned Man.

Citizen

Blog Entries

"The Kingdoms are soon to be at war again, chaos will ensure, and the Drowned God demands we take back what is rightfully ours, we must take back the Kingdom of Isles and Rivers." Farlun Seaton announced, steely determination edging into his voice.

Ivar fell silent, thinking about what that would mean. He was mad, but not irrational, and frowned at the prospect of holding such a centrally positioned piece of land.

The Riverlands? We would be surrounded.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Would we? From what we have heard the Riverlands and the North will be too busy facing the Targaryen's, pitted against each other we would have amply opportunity to take what we need, and do what we must.

Ivar pondered this, and frowned slowly, before giggling.

And then when the war is over, we are sitting ducks. Ripe for the Greenlander blades.

Lord Balon Greyjoy, Lordsport overlook

Lord Balon stood silently as he other men talked, Farlon Seaton a respected drowned man yet not invited by Balon and seemly more intent on speaking to Lord Harlaw, whose giggles unnerved him. Without flinching Balon answered "I mean to raid the Riverlands as we did in yore, but we will take no castles else once their war is over they could easily take them back." The Lord Reaper hoped they all knew that, of all the regions of Westeros the Riverlands were the least defensible "That is very good Lord Harlaw, my own ships will raid the North together with Victarion, my brother, and the men from Old Wyk and Orkmont. I will personally lead the ships from Lonely Light and Great Wyk and raid the Riverlands."

Euron smile eye danced with mirth, "200 ships you say?" A smile crept across his face, "The Reach will burn, Harlaw."

The glitter in his eye vanished as the Drowned Man went on about claiming the Riverlands for their own, certainly such statements were a good rallying cry for support from thick headed Ironmen but Euron knew well they couldn't hope to hold an inch of that land after the war had passed. He held his tongue, not wishing to spoil his own fickle mood.

Citizen

Blog Entries

"Balon, do not waste your time with the North, if you are set on bending the Drowned God's will to suit your own intent, at least pick the wealthy targets." Farlun mentally sighed, these men were to content with what is and not with what was. "Nevertheless the Drowned God will protect those who do his work and pay the Iron Price... (battle chant prayer thing begins)"

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Role Please
    Motivation

Drowned Priests can motivate the Ironborn to perform better for a space of one year through shaming and motivation.

1-5 = failure
    6-12 = +1 to raid rolls
    13-16 = +2 to raid rolls
    17-19 = +3 to raid rolls
    20 = +4 to raid rolls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast