View Poll Results: What is the easiest faction in TATW?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gondor

8 9.64%
  • Rohan

8 9.64%
  • Silvan Elves

1 1.20%
  • High Elves

16 19.28%
  • Dwarves

6 7.23%
  • Dale

1 1.20%
  • Free Peoples of Eriador

3 3.61%
  • Isengard

1 1.20%
  • Orcs of the Misty Mountains

0 0%
  • Orcs of Gundabad

0 0%
  • Mordor

4 4.82%
  • Harad

15 18.07%
  • Rhûn

20 24.10%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Easiest Faction In Third Age: Total War?

Default Re: Easiest Faction In Third Age: Total War?

While the Silvan Elves are my favorite faction I also find them to be a turtle faction. After capturing all of Mirkwood you are free to expand in any direction. Also, you have two allies to your right, Dale and Dwarves, and also Lorien to the southwest. You only have to face OOTMM(also Gundabad but both have weak units) and Mordor, but Mordor usually concentrates it's forces on Gondor.

For me in Vanilla TATW the easiest faction to play just had to be Harad. Just to help you out when you decide to try them as a pretty general guide, all I did was build up my economy to ridiculous levels while holding the crossings over the Anduin with fleets of ships to stop Gondor getting to me prematurely. I also had a fairly large rest of the navy scattered along my coastline and/or blockading Gondorian ports to stop them making any landings in undefended places. And, I remembered to help Mordor out occassionally with gifts of tribute and some military assistance to make sure that they could continue holding the north and keep Gondor nice and occupied for when I was finally ready to invade much later in the game, with fully upgraded doomstacks, mumakil and all.

In terms of submods ive played, the easiest faction I found to play with was the Variags of Khand from the Divide and Conquer submod. With them literally all I had to do was build up my economy and take some nearby rebel settlements before harad and rhun got to them (in, if I remember correctly, the north and south east). Khand is so far away from everywhere that the enemy can pretty much never reach you, maybe they do once in a while if Mordor, Harad, and Rhun absolutely fail (youre nestled in behind them at the start), but from what ive seen that hardly ever happens. After that when I had enough gold all I did was make three of four massive armies and go to help Harad in Southern Gondor.

Attached is a screenshot just to show you exactly how isolated they are:

In summary they are an amazing faction for a person who just likes to turtle and build up everything before they begin to conquer all of Middle Earth.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

I haven't played TATW in a long time, but now I got back into playing it. I decided to start my campaign as Rohan (H/H). I was surprised how easily I got Isengard destroyed, because just a few years ago I had found Rohan rather challenging. This time Isenguard was destroyed in some 30 turns pff. Next I went to Mordor and conquered their lands in the eastside of Anduin and eventually the Black Gate. However, I had to quit here because I updated Germanicu's AI mod to TATW.

I decided to start a new campaign again as Rohan, but this time I raised the difficulty to Very Hard. Isengard was destroyed on turn 37.

Rohan is an easy faction if you just get your armies moving right away and if you don't do the mistake of sitting tight in your settlements while letting the enemy grow stronger and have the Invasion called upon you while you are still struggling with Isengard.

There are a few rebel settlements nearby Rohan's starting position, which ought to be taken easily by a small band of soldiers.

You can take all garrison from the East of Rohan to form your armies. I normally send one small band to capture the towns in North-West, then going to Fangor, while other a little bit bigger army is going to South and eventually coming back to Dunlands. From here on I start pushing Isengard by capturing their holds in West and North-West. Once Isengard is their last remaining settlement I'll besiege it; I will not touch it before it because they get a free army of strong men from the Garrison Script.

It is also good to be pointed out that I pretty much use all my men to conquer Dunlands from Isengard. I have pretty much left all my Western settlements out of garrison, even the settlements just in front of Isengard in the Cap of Rohan as they are rarely ever attacked. Well, I do leave just a few units of cavalry to patrol the area should some middle sized band of orcs march thereby. In that case I can hunt them down easily. Mordor will take one village with a couple of units, but other than that I haven't seen them doing else in neither campaigns.

Also, gods how Rohan's bodyguard units are the real killers of the battlefied! All I need is only a few Generals to defeat any middle sized Isengard army by picking them apart from each other and flanking those small groups from all sides. Heroic Victories are quaranteed while Generals gain good traits.
    Last edited by Finlander; July 30, 2014 at 01:15 PM.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Like others have said, there's several factions that come to mind due to their starting position, economic potential and combat strength, e.g. Rhun and the High Elves. My final vote goes to Harad, who has the same potential, but who also has (in my opinion) the easiest victory conditions compared to Rhun or the High Elves.
    ~~ Happiness lies in contentment ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I haven't played TATW in a long time, but now I got back into playing it. I decided to start my campaign as Rohan (H/H). I was surprised how easily I got Isengard destroyed, because just a few years ago I had found Rohan rather challenging. This time Isenguard was destroyed in some 30 turns pff. Next I went to Mordor and conquered their lands in the eastside of Anduin and eventually the Black Gate. However, I had to quit here because I updated Germanicu's AI mod to TATW.

I decided to start a new campaign again as Rohan, but this time I raised the difficulty to Very Hard. Isengard was destroyed on turn 37.

Rohan is an easy faction if you just get your armies moving right away and if you don't do the mistake of sitting tight in your settlements while letting the enemy grow stronger and have the Invasion called upon you while you are still struggling with Isengard.

There are a few rebel settlements nearby Rohan's starting position, which ought to be taken easily by a small band of soldiers.

You can take all garrison from the East of Rohan to form your armies. I normally send one small band to capture the towns in North-West, then going to Fangor, while other a little bit bigger army is going to South and eventually coming back to Dunlands. From here on I start pushing Isengard by capturing their holds in West and North-West. Once Isengard is their last remaining settlement I'll besiege it; I will not touch it before it because they get a free army of strong men from the Garrison Script.

It is also good to be pointed out that I pretty much use all my men to conquer Dunlands from Isengard. I have pretty much left all my Western settlements out of garrison, even the settlements just in front of Isengard in the Cap of Rohan as they are rarely ever attacked. Well, I do leave just a few units of cavalry to patrol the area should some middle sized band of orcs march thereby. In that case I can hunt them down easily. Mordor will take one village with a couple of units, but other than that I haven't seen them doing else in neither campaigns.

Also, gods how Rohan's bodyguard units are the real killers of the battlefied! All I need is only a few Generals to defeat any middle sized Isengard army by picking them apart from each other and flanking those small groups from all sides. Heroic Victories are quaranteed while Generals gain good traits.

More proof, I rest my case

:tongue::):)More units rhun special elites units the Easterlings Armor

Darth_Revan's Avatar Primicerius

For me, I think it's the dwarves. Those ers are mini-tanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234