Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: DoM Faction Previews

Default Re: DoM Faction Previews

One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

I think that for the elves an argument could be made for a strong opposition to the shadow cult in the VCs since that sort of thing is such an anathema to them. And they have plenty of other reasons to not like Adunabar very much too.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

If anyone could make me interested about an Easterling campaign, it's the Count.

More of a Northman, eh, Beorn?

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

When I can't use the enemy as walking butts for my archers I prefer having some half-decent infantry holding the line while everyone else does the job Southrons that drop like flies and all-offense easterling brutes don't do that, and are usually found at the οpposite end of the battlefield

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    They're Freys.
    Better not have any weddings in Tharbad then. :p

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Tharbad is really interesting. Probably second mannish faction I'll give a shot, Dorwinion will be first.

A pity economy and diplomacy are that limited in RTW. Bribes, corruption, trade outposts, armies of religious fanatics sacking Constanti... errr Osgiliath. What a Venice Tharbad could make .
    Or how about "The Iron Bank of Tharbad"?
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

To be honest, Tharbad isn't a faction I'm overly interested in, but it will be interesting to see, how they'll hold their ground between these strong factions. I guess going after Dunland would be the best option as player?!

What about a Dwarves preview, Count?

Dunland is probably the weakest nearby target. Well, except for the Shire (you monster! ). If you can coordinate your attacks right, and hit Dunland while their forces are busy with Rohan, that could be a successful strategy. Certainly Dunland's forces aren't *too* threatening in a fairly even fight against Tharbad's more armored troops.

On the other hand, Dunland's love for throwing spears can be problematic, and Tharbad is rather cav-poor. Plus, Dunland is a Barbarian culture, which is harder for Tharbad's generally Dunedanic culture to deal with. Also, to the north, Adunabar and the RK have a smaller presence than they do far to the south. So it could be possible to focus on either of those factions and deal a significant blow, maybe even wiping them out of the North and then getting a ceasefire with the southern remnant when you no longer share borders.

As for the Dwarves, you could say I'm saving the best for last.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post

Now that's what I like to hear

webba84's Avatar Artifex

You could say that, but you'd only be telling the truth if you were referring to the elves instead.

Dunland is probably the weakest nearby target. Well, except for the Shire (you monster! ).
    I may be a (casual) tactician, but even I wouldn't go that far.

If you can coordinate your attacks right, and hit Dunland while their forces are busy with Rohan, that could be a successful strategy. Certainly Dunland's forces aren't *too* threatening in a fairly even fight against Tharbad's more armored troops.

On the other hand, Dunland's love for throwing spears can be problematic, and Tharbad is rather cav-poor.
    But I'm the Casual Tactician - I'd crush these barbarians on the battlefield no matter what! (Actually I'd rather want to play Dunland, as they're more fun imo)

Plus, Dunland is a Barbarian culture, which is harder for Tharbad's generally Dunedanic culture to deal with.
    Ohh! That's the way I like my mods! I'm really thrilled, to see how Aradan's new gameplay mechanics/features will play out. Grand stuff as it seems.

I like Dwarves! Yup, I do.

PS: Thanks to all you guys working on this mod! Can't wait to play it!

Great previews, both Rhun and Tharbad.

Later is just my type of faction – small, resourceful, defensively oriented and has a good mix of light and heavy units.

Dunland is probably the weakest nearby target. Well, except for the Shire (you monster! ).
    Well, nicotine withdrawal makes monsters out of men. We all know this is the sole reason Saruman/Sharkey occupied Shire.

Rohan

Rohan perhaps boasts the greatest continuity from TNS to DoM. It's only sensible: after all, Rohan claims no lands in the North, and no new factions have cropped up on its borders. With the exception of some new or altered provinces in the periphery of its lands, the starting situation of Rohan will be familiar to players of TNS.

In terms of units, too, those who loved playing the horse-lords in TNS will find their DoM incarnation largely unchanged. Yes, you'll still be able to enjoy lining up your cavalry and plowing through hordes of hapless Dunlendings in a thunderous charge. And though it probably doesn't get as much attention, Rohan's infantry is still a solid force of spearmen and axemen, able to hold a battle line while your riders flank or to assault or defend during a siege.

All of the above means Rohan is a great choice for players to get their feet wet in the ocean of new features introduced by DoM. But what is different this time around?

While the early game will likely play out the same as it did in TNS, Dunland may have some more longevity in DoM. If the Dunlendings manage to push across the Greyflood and threaten the lands of Arnor, they will be harder to defeat decisively. Dunland has some more elbow-room in the North – don't be surprised if they use it.

And conquering Dunland no longer provides Rohan with a safe corner, necessarily. True, your ally the Reunited Kingdom holds lands in the North, but if you crush Dunland early on, the City-kingdom of Tharbad may still have a strong presence along the Greyflood. Tharbad may have helped you defeat the Dunlendings, or may have turned north and found trouble with the Reunited Kingdom. Either way, Tharbad is a faction to be wary of. Surrounded by powerful neighbors, it may strike out unexpectedly.

The eastern border is more lively. Beyond Fangorn is the forest of Lorien, the nearest Elven outpost to your lands. The Elves are often quiet neighbors, unwilling to involve themselves with the troubles of the world of Men, but sometimes disputes erupt.

More troubling is the Kingdom of Adunabar, which holds land across the Anduin and may push its way north toward Greenwood. A powerful Adunabar, with its strong Dunedanic soldiers, can be a challenging foe – all the more reason, then, to aid the RK in its battles around Osgiliath and Ithilien, or to cross at the Undeeps and harry the enemy in the Brown Lands.

The lands about the southern Greenwood and Rhovanion can change hands frequently, since many factions vie for them. The Beornings in the Vales of Anduin, the Men of Rhovanion or of Dale, and the Easterlings of Rhun may all enter the fray, as allies, enemies, or (temporarily) neutral powers. Note the presence of several Northmen factions in the area. They may all share a culture and generally follow the Ways of the West, but conflict among Northmen is nothing new, with some peoples of Rhovanion even siding with Easterlings for the pursuit of their own feuds in the distant past of the Third Age. The Age of Men is a time of changing loyalties – something a wise king of Rohan must remember as he extends his people's realm and defeats old foes.

Fortunately, Rohan's alliance with the Reunited Kingdom is not so susceptible to that change. The 'perpetual alliance' mentioned in tales of Cirion and Eorl holds into the Fourth Age, giving Rohan a rare position of strength. With a strong and secure trade partner in its ally, Rohan can grow wealthy enough to afford to send armies to its aid - north, east, or south. And if south, those armies may pass the barrow of Folcred and Fastred above the Poros, twin sons of Rohan whose very lives fulfilled the great Oath of their forefathers.

Now it was about time for a new preview, and Rohan surely doesn't disappoint. They seem to be as strong as ever and even more so as the cavalry is faster to travel than regular infantry-based armies, so a human player will likely have armies operating all over Middle-Earth, aiding RK and expanding the dominion of the Horse lords.
    Quite an exciting and powerful faction to play.

I always enjoyed playing Rohan and with the permanent alliance now in place with the RK it will be even more enjoyable. Trying to help the RK and then see them attack you always spoiled the fun for me, of course there is the diplomacy script, but it's not a perfect solution. What exactly will be done with Aglarond now the Dwarves are a seperate faction? The Dwarven unit will be gone right? Or will Aglarond belon to the Dwarven faction? Also, I am interesting to know what houses there are. Obviously the House of Eorl and most likely the House of Erkenbrand and Elfhelm, but any others? Finally, did you guys manage to make some special cities/fortresses on the battle-map, like you did with Minas Tirith? For example Edoras, Helm's Deep, Dunharrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Elphir of Dol Amroth View Post
    I always enjoyed playing Rohan and with the permanent alliance now in place with the RK it will be even more enjoyable. Trying to help the RK and then see them attack you always spoiled the fun for me, of course there is the diplomacy script, but it's not a perfect solution. What exactly will be done with Aglarond now the Dwarves are a seperate faction? The Dwarven unit will be gone right? Or will Aglarond belon to the Dwarven faction?
    Aglarond is gone as a settlement (has been converted to a wonder), the caves belong to the Westfold province.

Also, I am interesting to know what houses there are. Obviously the House of Eorl and most likely the House of Erkenbrand and Elfhelm, but any others?
    The major houses of Rohan are the Houses Eorl, Elfhelm and Erkenbrand (Eorlings), Folca and Bregu (Isenmarchers), Ceorl, and Hund (Northerners).

Finally, did you guys manage to make some special cities/fortresses on the battle-map, like you did with Minas Tirith? For example Edoras, Helm's Deep, Dunharrow?
    Nope, no BM modeller, so no progress there.

So, can't you borrow the models from either LOTRTW or TATW , and adapt and use them for DOM?

We can take LotRTW's models, but using them is not that simple. TATW's no, we can't take them.