Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: DoM Faction Previews

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: DoM Faction Previews

Great read, as always, Count!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice, very nice read and a great faction to play with.
    Last edited by Basileos Predator; September 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

How does opening west gate of Moria function? I guess previously unpassable map slot becomes passable, but I wasn't aware that was possible mid-campaign.

It becomes possible through the magic of FATW's coding excellence and general awesomeness.

Thanks very much indeed for doing all these previews, you've got me anticipating the release even more than I was before!

ExtremeBG's Avatar Decanus

Now that the faction previews are all finished, can you give us some more treats because we are such a good fanbase

Macedonia(FYROM) is Bulgarian. If you don't believe me, read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    It becomes possible through the magic of FATW's coding excellence and general awesomeness.
    Haha, I was expecting that answer I'm surprised other people aren't focusing on this, it seems like a major RTW modding breakthrough.

Well, I am going to give a real and detailed answer soon, when the mod is released, but for now it's another FATW feature I'd like to keep unique. As for the lack of interest, well, we're not exactly in the heyday of RTW's modding scene.

As for treats, we'll probably find something to keep you satisfied until we release.

I was actually torn between wanting to mention the west-gate thing and wanting to keep it a surprise.

Fortunately, there are at least a few surprises I *haven't* mentioned yet.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Wow, FATW team never cease to amaze me. Now I’m drawn to play my first campaign with Dwarves.

Splendid work, both on preview, and "West-gate feature".

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Fortunately, there are at least a few surprises I *haven't* mentioned yet.
    Yeah, pour salt.

P.S. Use of this feature in another Middle-earth mod in development, albeit slightly modified comes to my mind ( khm Doriath, khm Gondolin).

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    The Dwarven starting position is easy to defend but difficult to expand, if only because of the many choices available to a canny and bold Dwarf-king. Your people may be few, but they are not dwindling like the Elves, and they have the benefits of rich resources to aid their ventures. Led well, and supported by a varied army of Hirelings from all corners of Middle-earth, the Dwarves may be able to carve out a secure realm for themselves in this Age of Men.
    Really nice preview... I was wondering, if the bandit settlements will have strong defence forces, which make conquering difficult? Being able to blitz early on, is something I'm not really fond of at all in TW games. I guess DoM will be a more slow paced game in that regard, but I'd like to hear some (short) comment on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    Haha, I was expecting that answer I'm surprised other people aren't focusing on this, it seems like a major RTW modding breakthrough.
    What am I missing here? What's the "modding breakthrough"?

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    What am I missing here? What's the "modding breakthrough"?
    Aradan's awesome coding skills .

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    Really nice preview... I was wondering, if the bandit settlements will have strong defence forces, which make conquering difficult? Being able to blitz early on, is something I'm not really fond of at all in TW games. I guess DoM will be a more slow paced game in that regard, but I'd like to hear some (short) comment on that.
    The initial campaign setup is still being worked on, so I can't say yet just what challenges you might face in the rebel settlements. But I don't think it will necessarily be the fighting that will be the issue - it will be managing finances, growth, and infrastructure. So while you may be able to defeat a rebel force fairly easily, that doesn't mean you're set for the campaign.

I'll give some specifics using the (WIP) setup. In my Dwarven campaigns, a typical opening move is to attack Lune, a rebel settlement north of Mithlond, east of the northern Ered Luin. I win the siege battle or sally handily, but then begins the process of making the settlement well and truly *mine*. That means developing (i.e. 'building') provincial control and establishing it as a settlement that can actually be of use.

Now, in theory, I could march that triumphant army north and attack the next nearest rebel settlement, around the Icebay of Forochel. But that would leave Lune vulnerable. No enemies may lurk on my borders for now, but who knows what may happen in a few years? (And I don't trust those nearby Elves... ) My Dwarven units are expensive, so training more of them just for garrison duty doesn't make sense - instead, I want to secure Lune and build it up to the point where it can serve as a recruitment center for some Hirelings (preferably with walls... and enough other infrastructure to ensure population growth).

While all of that building is going on in the west, war is looming in the east. I don't want to spend all my profit on Lune since I still have Dwarven homelands to think about developing further - and around this time I'm also thinking about just how I'm going to involve myself in the conflicts that are taking place along Dale's borders. Not a lot of handy rebel settlements in the east, so that means war with proper factions, which means committing to some years of recruitment and defense of any newly conquered settlements if I want to see Hirelings in that area.

There's an ebb and flow during the campaign as you focus your attention from one theatre to another. Sometimes you'll want to train a bunch of units for a quick assault or scramble for a defense; sometimes you'll need to invest in your trade network; sometimes you just *have* to bite the bullet and spend a ton of gold on integrating a new settlement into your realm.

Again, these are my impressions of a setup that will certainly change in development, but I think overall my main point - that blitzing won't be all that effective, thanks to the many factors you'll need to manage (especially in a campaign like the Dwarves') - will prove pretty solid.
    Last edited by Aradan; October 02, 2014 at 01:31 AM.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Hello.
    I assume there are mechanisms or buildings the player can use, when playing th Elves, to avert the depopulation of the homelands. Would it be possible fou you to reveal them?

No special mechanisms actually. The depopulation is not inevitable, meaning that all elven settlements can achieve and maintain a very low growth rate/max population limit (in special cases just low) if the appropriate buildings exist (provincial control, gardens, etc) and low tax rate is set, but you need to combine that with sparing recruitment. You can't churn out a new unit every 1-2 turns.
    Last edited by Aradan; October 04, 2014 at 03:36 AM.