Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible 'Dark Age' Single Thread RP - An OOC interest/discussion thread for an interactive tale. See inside for details.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Possible 'Dark Age' Single Thread RP - An OOC interest/discussion thread for an interactive tale. See inside for details.

Greetings, guys, gals, and everything around and in-between.

In my many years of life, especially in my younger days, I 'played' and wrote many...many...text-based RPG games as both 'dungeon master' and 'player'. On such varying sites as Warhammer Online and Empire of Ashes and Role-Play Online.

Needless to say, I never had a dull moment (except when those that were meant to post, in their turn, did not), and it's something I've been wishing to try with any-and-all my fellow writers on TWC. Half of the fun was having to think of interesting plot-lines, backstories for characters, not actually having a definite ending (although there usually is one), and generally accepting most writers with an above average command of the English language in written form.

So, therefore, I've decided to finally post up a thread (an OOC or Out Of Character Thread) and try to gauge just how many might be interested in such an idea. As you can tell, I've not selected a time-period, place, or culture and all such things could be discussed.

There will be no economics, no vast empires or armies of millions for each person to move about, no senate and no positions to occupy. Instead it will be a simple, text-based, narrative-driven tale with a group of pals, with myself as 'GM', so to speak.

That's all really, if you're interested then please feel free to tell me so. If enough people are, then we shall move onto the next 'phase' of the 'plan'. If not...well then I've only wasted two minutes typing this.

McScottish

Interested Parties
    1. Axis Sunsoar
    2. Richard of Gloucester
    3. Trot
    Last edited by McScottish; June 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Default Re: Untitled - An untitled, OOC interest thread for an interactive tale. See inside for details.

I'm down

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Untitled - An untitled, OOC interest thread for an interactive tale. See inside for details.

Im interested

Awesome stuff; if anyone does have any settings they might particularly like to forge a path in/live vicariously through/or anything else, then please feel free to throw out some suggestions at your leisure. Eventually I will get 'the basics' up- character profile sheet, rules, background and so forth, but I think between 6-8 'players' should be a good number to begin.

Alright then, I'll ask this to an open floor and see what happens.

Who would be interested in a narrative-driven, GM-controlled, and single-character driven RP set in the Ancient World but featuring all manner of creatures, deities, and 'barbarian' nations?

Much like the, sadly inactive, Hyperborean RP it would be based in 'reality', yet contain many elements that of course do not exist in our real world. As such, each 'hero' would be essentially just a normal person, perhaps with some skill(s) in which they excel. No demi-gods, no fantastical slayers of nations, but certainly heroes nonetheless. Probably also not set on the Argo itself- gives everyone a chance to come up with an original character that way.

So, anyone up for that?

If not, then please do feel free to tell me what you'd like to see.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Interested,

As I said in the chat thread, I have a madcap idea to somewhat use the Hyborian world. Instead of the basic anicent setting, we keep the setting, but instead move the time forward so its more analogous to late antiquity/early to middle dark ages. That way we can use Saxon, German, Norse and Slavic/Rus Heroic Writings.

Like perhaps we take the world of Conan, and combine elements of the Norse Sagas, Beuwolf Cycle, Frankish heoric epics like the Song of Roland, and Slavic/Rus stuff like the Primary Chronicle of Novogord(how the vikings founded the city, then had crazy wars against finns and Slavs and Bulgars) and also the writings of the Bogyatrs
    Low speed, High Drag

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

I'm in

I would prefer the setting to be some sort of low fantasy, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Gloucester View Post
    I would prefer the setting to be some sort of low fantasy, to be honest.
    Oh, it will be low fantasy, just in a historical setting. Would something along the lines of the Argonauts or The Odessey suit that particular fancy? There'll be enough monsters, Gods and demons (a bit like Xena really...) to make it a low fantasy, and enough 'man-based' activity to stop it from becoming a high fantasy trek.

Sound alright?

If not, suggestions will be taken into account.

That sounds fine to me

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_General View Post
    Interested,

As I said in the chat thread, I have a madcap idea to somewhat use the Hyborian world. Instead of the basic anicent setting, we keep the setting, but instead move the time forward so its more analogous to late antiquity/early to middle dark ages. That way we can use Saxon, German, Norse and Slavic/Rus Heroic Writings.

Like perhaps we take the world of Conan, and combine elements of the Norse Sagas, Beuwolf Cycle, Frankish heoric epics like the Song of Roland, and Slavic/Rus stuff like the Primary Chronicle of Novogord(how the vikings founded the city, then had crazy wars against finns and Slavs and Bulgars) and also the writings of the Bogyatrs
    .. You do realize that the Hyborian Age is a melting pot of more than just "Antiquity" but medieval times as well?
    It was created 70+ years ago, so it's a bit .. different.

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

This style of play is how I got my start in online RPGs, too. I'll keep an eye on this!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Definitely in.

So, before I go ahead and 'set this up' so to speak, does anyone have any other suggestions of what they might like to see/any eras etc in which they might like it to be set?

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

I will be keeping an eye on this and mayhaps join.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I will be keeping an eye on this and mayhaps join.
    I am honoured.

I've considered a Dark Age/Late Roman RP as well, but it seems that Mythological Greece/Ancient World is a popular one with most people.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think that a low fantasy version of the dark ages would be even more fun, perhaps Arthurian Britain?

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I think that a low fantasy version of the dark ages would be even more fun, perhaps Arthurian Britain?
    That actually is perfect. The perfect setting for the perfect era. Arthurian Britain is always a good center of low-fantasy and dark age stuff.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Ehhh, I am not feeling Britain as much as an unspecified Central/Northern European/vaguely Germanic setting. More interesting that way in how I view it and more of a Melting pot with Baltic Pagans, Franks, Norse, Various less civilized Germans, Italians/Romans, Romo Celts(like in France), partially Romanized Germanics(like the Lombards and Ostrogoths), Byzantine types, and Slavs.

What would probably be the best style of setting is to make the historical analogy to the early to mid 6th century Frankish empire, where the great empire of Rome has fallen, but the Byzantines are still very strong, and their is stil a heavy roman influence and Barbarian successor states such as the Vandals and Ostrogoths hanging around.

What would be cool is to start the game we form a company and we are given a task to do by the Frankish type Emperor. I.E. take such and such city from the Byzantines, capture such and such barbarian warlord, aquire/re-capture a relic etc etc. I feel such a more realistic sytle of play would be more interesting then the random fantasy adventuring. Also, it would be cool to see the repercussions of our player actions on the world.

Also, another interesting facet of the game could be as the game goes on, players could aquire lands and titles, or rise in the government of whatever empire we are playing with, or even either betray their empire and defect, or become independent states. Would be a sorta cool way to take the game in a GSTK vibe if people want too.
    Low speed, High Drag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast