0 0%
  • DoM will be fairly fine, but no more

0 0%
  • DoM will underwhelm

1 3.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DoM - The Poll

Default DoM - The Poll

In the past I've very much enjoyed the mods of the team: i.e. FATW: The New Shadow and Viking Invasion. Anyhow...

What's your vote on the upcoming FATW: Dominion of Men?

You've seen a lot of footage by Eorl and work by Aradan... so you know what to expect.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: DoM - The Poll

Why did you put the 3 last options in? Everyone knows there can only be 2 answers. And those are the first two.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Personally, I can only see one answer

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

I think only the first answer is relevant.The only one that can describe this awesome mod-to-be.

Civis

DoM will underwhelm.

If anyone wants to know why, see all three answers above me.

Even if the mod is awesome, it still won't live up to the hype, the bar has been set too high....

Get the flaying knife, boys. I have some things to do.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

OOhh he's the sheep between wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Nehcrum View Post
    DoM will underwhelm.

Even if the mod is awesome, it still won't live up to the hype, the bar has been set too high....
    Now, more seriously, let us analyze this.

Even if the mod is awesome? If you expect it to suck, why are you even here? Personally I do not worry about it not living up to the hype for the following reasons.

a) The mod team intentionally hasn't revealed much for this very reason. Unlike some others which talk constantly about their game, praising it to high heavens *cough* CA, Peter Molyneux, EA *cough* the Fourth Age team has not done that so as not to hype people to a level from which they will end up disappointed in the release, not matter how good the quality.

b) This is a more personal reason. I do not think that much about when the mod will be released, and how awesome it is going to be. This of course prevents me from being so excited about it that I will be let down.

Well, *if* the mod is awesome, I would think it warrants at least voting the "DoM will be a good RTW mod" option. I take it CasualTactician meant "underwhelm" in comparison to other RTW mods, not in comparison to anyone's personal expectations of the mod.

I mean, personally, I will be underwhelmed if the release of DoM does not result in instant wealth and fame for the devs and their families.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

That would be nice. I need a new pair of trainers/sneakers
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Déjà vu?

I’ll jump on the bandwagon and click the option (again) even though I don’t think there is much use of such thread anyway. It would be, as Aradan previously said, more productive to write any well thought criticism or suggestions. Otherwise, only use I can see is morale boost for the developers, maybe something not to look down on after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Get the flaying knife, boys. I have some things to do.
    So, Noldo by day and Bolton by night, huh? Now I understand why Silmarillion:TW had pink Noldor Nobles.
    Last edited by Jagmodo; June 09, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo
    So, Noldo by day and Bolton by night, huh? Now I understand why Silmarillion:TW had pink Noldor Nobles.
    Gah! You fiend! My secret is out! I'll get you back on that. Me and my allies in Tharbad..

Our Blades are Sharp

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Nehcrum View Post
    DoM will underwhelm.

The dangers of thinking you know more than you do. You are quite right to be wary of them.

Civis

Even if the mod is awesome? If you expect it to suck, why are you even here? Personally I do not worry about it not living up to the hype for the following reasons.

a) The mod team intentionally hasn't revealed much for this very reason. Unlike some others which talk constantly about their game, praising it to high heavens *cough* CA, Peter Molyneux, EA *cough* the Fourth Age team has not done that so as not to hype people to a level from which they will end up disappointed in the release, not matter how good the quality.

b) This is a more personal reason. I do not think that much about when the mod will be released, and how awesome it is going to be. This of course prevents me from being so excited about it that I will be let down.

Agreed, let's do that.

I don't expect it to suck. I really liked TNS, and I expect this to be pretty much the same only with a bigger map and more factions.
    The first mod was awesome (TNS) but there is always the sequel problem, which we see again and again in the games industry, where it's really hard to make a sequel that is not only equally good but also has to be better in order to live up to expectations.

Everyone else on the forum does a good job of hyping it up even without the help of the mod team.
    Like this very thread for example.

You are aware that you forgot to delete your first reply in this thread, right?
    You know, the one were you praise how awesome it's going to be and there is no point in having any other option in the poll other than the ones that says so?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Predator View Post
    OOhh he's the sheep between wolves.
    Rather the wolf among a herd of sheep all bleating along in unison....

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Well, *if* the mod is awesome, I would think it warrants at least voting the "DoM will be a good RTW mod" option. I take it CasualTactician meant "underwhelm" in comparison to other RTW mods, not in comparison to anyone's personal expectations of the mod.

I mean, personally, I will be underwhelmed if the release of DoM does not result in instant wealth and fame for the devs and their families.
    True, you could make an argument for that.
    But was TNS really even playing in the same league as most other RTW mods?

Personally, I will be overwhelmed if the mod comes out this year, since the mod was set to come out the year I first joined this forum and the release date has been continously pushed back and over the last four years it's turned me from being a fanboy and instead becoming a cynic.

It's come to the point where it might be time to call this the next Duke Nukem. Same awesome first game, same problems with living up to the hype and a release date that gets pushed back continously so that people start wondering if it even exists at all.

Edit:
    Oh, and as a add-on about my own now faded fanboyism, I actually wrote a guide for TNS that even made it into the scriptorium.
    And plenty of posts about how great the TNS mod was.
    But you can't find them now, since the forum search function doesn't work for posts that far back...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...58#post8113658
    Last edited by Nehcrum; June 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Nehcrum, you will enjoy life more if you view mod projects as a free extra, an unlooked-for bonus created by passionate fans (which they are), rather than a published product that you put down hard-earned money for (which you didn't).

While I'm doling out advice, I would also recommend that you try not to view delays in the mod's release as personal attacks aimed at making you miserable. I assure you, that is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nechrum
    The first mod was awesome (TNS) but there is always the sequel problem, which we see again and again in the games industry, where it's really hard to make a sequel that is not only equally good but also has to be better in order to live up to expectations.
    This is a really bad analogy. Comparing the development process of a mod to a game is not exactly a good idea. Most well known low quality sequels were rush-jobs, inferior in comparison to their predecessor in some way, buggy, changed the game for the worst or a whole host of other reasons. Most of those things don't apply to mods. There is no reason to fear a sequel to a good game sucking by merit of being a sequel.

Everyone else on the forum does a good job of hyping it up even without the help of the mod team.
    Like this very thread for example.
    What in the hell do you expect people to do? Spout doom and gloom at every turn? That is neither constructive, nor any fun.

You are aware that you forgot to delete your first reply in this thread, right?
    You know, the one were you praise how awesome it's going to be and there is no point in having any other option in the poll other than the ones that says so?
    Wow, I've committed the sin of voicing my opinion. How dreadful. Perhaps this would have been more to your liking?

Quote Originally Posted by Feänáro Curufinwé
    DoM is going to be a gigantic disappointment, guys. All the evidence points to the fact that it will be inferior to TNS, although I haven't seen much of it yet.
    And expecting me to delete my post betrays an understanding of the forum that leaves some things to be desired.

Rather the wolf among a herd of sheep all bleating along in unison....
    Rather one of the sheep bleating in unison than the sheep that will not graze the fields out of baseless fear.

Personally, I will be overwhelmed if the mod comes out this year, since the mod was set to come out the year I first joined this forum and the release date has been continuously pushed back and over the last four years it's turned me from being a fanboy and instead becoming a cynic.
    You do realize there was a bloody reason for this? Modding is not a full-time job. The mod has been worked on for quite some time by what can be called a skeleton team, and at a point without even a modeller. Not to mention all the additions to the original idea, meaning that DoM went from the planned 9 factions to 18.

And considering that people practically worship Third Age: Total War, despite the mod team essentially reskinning M2TW and calling it a day, do you think this will fail to live up to the hype? (Unfortunately, I don't expect it to have half as many fans as Third Age. Apparently people like shiny units more than actual substance.)

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Nehcrum, you will enjoy life more if you view mod projects as a free extra, an unlooked-for bonus created by passionate fans (which they are), rather than a published product that you put down hard-earned money for (which you didn't).

While I'm doling out advice, I would also recommend that you try not to view delays in the mod's release as personal attacks aimed at making you miserable. I assure you, that is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.
    I don't view them as personal attacks aimed at me and I am aware that this is a free mod and not a game I'm paying for.

But just that something is free doesn't mean that I'm going to praise it as good.

I think it will be good, if TNS is anything to go by, but the hopes was once set so very high. If you go back in the forum to the olden days when most of my posts were made you'd see way more activity in the forum for one thing and a lot more upbeat comments from me.
    And that first part is a bit of the issue.
    It has been too long in the works, ths forums sees what? A dozen posts a week now? A bit more this week because of my posting and people disagreeing with me.
    I think I, with my actions here, just doubled the weeks activity on this forum.

Back then, I alone posted more than a dozen posts a week and there were lots of other people as well, instead of the maybe ten people on here right now.

When DoM finally finishes and gets posted, the question is how many will play it. Or how many will even notice it since the forums here are so dead.
    I'm still looking in here regularly, hoping for it to finally come out.

But I'm just stubborn like that, and maybe soon I will do what the several hundred others have done before.
    Namely lose hope and stop coming here, and when and if DoM comes out, I'll never even know....

Civis

This is a really bad analogy. Comparing the development process of a mod to a game is not exactly a good idea. Most well known low quality sequels were rush-jobs, inferior in comparison to their predecessor in some way, buggy, changed the game for the worst or a whole host of other reasons. Most of those things don't apply to mods. There is no reason to fear a sequel to a good game sucking by merit of being a sequel.
    Yes.
    Some others however were not rush jobs (which DoM most definetly is not, and my complaint is the direct opposite....) but were simply the same old game with a few new missions. Which comes as a disappointment since people expect more. Especially when it's something that's been in the works for a long time.

And that's my point about underwhelming.
    TNS was a great mod, but if DoM is of the same quality, then will it really be a good mod?
    After all, we already have TNS and if DoM is essentially the same thing but with buildings and units changed a bit, a few new factions tacked on and a bigger map, will it really be all that awesome?
    Will new fans of the mods discard TNS because DoM is so much better? Or will they just as likely pick TNS over DoM if they want a RTW mod that deals with Tolkiens world?

Whatever you say, DoM is still going to be measured up against TNS. And if it "merely" as good as TNS, then it will be a big disappointment.

What in the hell do you expect people to do? Spout doom and gloom at every turn? That is neither constructive, nor any fun.
    Nope, and I'm not criticizing them for doing it.
    I'm criticizing the poll in this thread and saying that there is a big risk that the mod will be underwhelming, because people have set their hopes too high.

TNS is the best RTW mod that I've played, and I'm still playing it.
    But will DoM really be able to blow it out of the water?
    After all, they still have the same limitations in the game engine to work with, it's still a RTW mod, there's only so much that they can do.

I'm not really spouting doom and gloom (other than my fears of it never actually being released but continuing to be in development forever), I'm just saying that if you have too much optimism, expect some disappointments.
    That's the good thing about being a cynic, that sometimes you are happily surprised.

Wow, I've committed the sin of voicing my opinion. How dreadful. Perhaps this would have been more to your liking?
    Nothing wrong with voicing your opinion.
    What is wrong however is doing one thing and then saying that you would never do such a thing.

Your first post in this thread is this:
    "Why did you put the 3 last options in? Everyone knows there can only be 2 answers. And those are the first two."
    And then, in the post criticizing me you say:
    "I do not think that much about when the mod will be released, and how awesome it is going to be. This of course prevents me from being so excited about it that I will be let down."
    See the problem?

And expecting me to delete my post betrays an understanding of the forum that leaves some things to be desired.
    It was a sarcastic comment refering to the fact that your answer to me stands in stark contrast to the post you did earlier in the thread.
    I could've just said "hey, look at your first post", but I'm a sarcastic kind of guy.

Rather one of the sheep bleating in unison than the sheep that will not graze the fields out of baseless fear.
    I will graze the field but I will be aware that it's just grass on a field and won't be talking about the wonderful rainbow-colored sugared grass that might be on the very same field tomorrow.

I have no fear but no high hopes either.
    Cynicism it's called.

You tend to get that after a while.

You do realize there was a bloody reason for this? Modding is not a full-time job. The mod has been worked on for quite some time by what can be called a skeleton team, and at a point without even a modeller. Not to mention all the additions to the original idea, meaning that DoM went from the planned 9 factions to 18.

And considering that people practically worship Third Age: Total War, despite the mod team essentially reskinning M2TW and calling it a day, do you think this will fail to live up to the hype? (Unfortunately, I don't expect it to have half as many fans as Third Age. Apparently people like shiny units more than actual substance.)
    Feature-creep I do believe it's called....

They planned 9 factions and then changed it to 18, which takes more time and more work.
    Who knows, maybe they'll think they missed a couple of factions and it will go up to 22 and the release gets pushed back even further.

I suspect that is what has been happening all along, instead of releasing the mod that was planned when they first started working on it, they instead started expanding on the project, which added more work that needed to be done and pushed back the release.
    The problem with thinking like that, especially in such a huge and a rich world as Tolkien's, is that if you start doing that, then where do you stop?

And people might like shiny units more than actual substance, but what they most definetly like more is substance that is there for them to play, rather than substance that is being talked about by the mods and that they are only being shown small snippets of.

edit:
    And one thing that I really hate is people who goes "hey, it's free, so therefore you can't criticize it".
    Yes, I can. Just because something is free doesn't mean it's automatically good.
    Last edited by Nehcrum; June 16, 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Sure, Nehcrum. You can criticize whatever you want. And I could criticize you for failing to provide me with hours of free entertainment exactly when I want it and no later.

See how silly that sounds?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast