Thread: Spartiate Logades Hippeis - The ultimate Spartan Royal Guard - Retexture

Default Spartiate Logades Hippeis - The ultimate Spartan Royal Guard - Retexture

[ This mod is a simple retexture and works with any version of the game, it does not use any content that isnt already in Roma Surrectum II ]

I've retextured the Spartans in my game, and decided to share the results here.

They are simply looking fantastic, but the only thing I did was recolor the unit and mix pieces of other units in it to make it look more professional, all I did was change the textures with already existing ones from other units of RSII, so this is just an texture replacement, but it actually looks like something entirely different. It took me hours to do this since I have 0% modding skills, especially because I've been browsing a lot of units to choose which pieces to pick from. Enjoy!

Later I will work on adding this as a unit to the game and/or descriptions ( if I can ), but for now you will have to decide which unit you want it to replace and what stats to modify, or not. This unit is meant to be inspired in '' Sparta's last light in the darkest hour '', these men are the last surviving generation of former spartans, trained in the old Agoge fashion and armed with the best equipment there is to afford. They are the Logades Hippeis, the 300 men of the 1º Spartan Mora selected by the hippagretai to fight at the King's side in the front line. If you have any problems, speak loud!

For now, this is the retexture of the Spartan officer '' Spartan_Mystic '', Im providing the model and the texture so that you can replace them with the original officers, but you dont need to edit an actual unit in the game, the only thing you need to do is to edit the '' descr_models_unit '' file in Data and add the officer as a soldier. If you dont know how to do that ask away and I try to help you step by step, but I will eventually include a complete version in the download.

Pics:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Download Link of the texture:

Download Link of the model( if you need it ):

Backup:

Last edited by Achilles Lacedaemon; June 08, 2014 at 04:11 AM.

Default Re: Spartiate Logades Hippeis - The ultimate Spartan Royal Guard - Retexture

That's really good! Looks awesome. But I would make that an own unit, rather than replacing the actual kings guards. I'm not quite sure, but Logades was a title for Spartiatai who sweared on sacrified lambs or rams that they would replace those carcasses, if they fail to hold the phalanx in battle. The only case which I know were the famous 300 who Leonidas took with him to Thermopylai and died with them, as they tried to stop Xerxes army. So in my understanding these man were soldiers who sacrified themselves. Their're neither Promachoi's or Hippeis. The Spartiatai Hippeis served a life time for their kings and they were chosen out from either the best of all Spartiatai or from winners in the Olympic games and Pythian games. That's why the old model of the kings guards had an olive wreath on their helmets. The actual model looks much better than the old one. It seems there can be much confusion about some Spartan units. Maybe I misinterpreted that. Well, I would make that it's own unit. But good work.

Default Re: Spartiate Logades Hippeis - The ultimate Spartan Royal Guard - Retexture

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bane1 View Post
    That's really good! Looks awesome. But I would make that an own unit, rather than replacing the actual kings guards. I'm not quite sure, but Logades was a title for Spartiatai who sweared on sacrified lambs or rams that they would replace those carcasses, if they fail to hold the phalanx in battle. The only case which I know were the famous 300 who Leonidas took with him to Thermopylai and died with them, as they tried to stop Xerxes army. So in my understanding these man were soldiers who sacrified themselves. Their're neither Promachoi's or Hippeis. The Spartiatai Hippeis served a life time for their kings and they were chosen out from either the best of all Spartiatai or from winners in the Olympic games and Pythian games. That's why the old model of the kings guards had an olive wreath on their helmets. The actual model looks much better than the old one. It seems there can be much confusion about some Spartan units. Maybe I misinterpreted that. Well, I would make that it's own unit. But good work.
    I will make it a unique unit if I find a way to get more space in Export_Descr_Unit.txt
    Last edited by Achilles Lacedaemon; June 08, 2014 at 10:55 AM.

When the new launcher from the RTR team comes out and they managed to bring even more slots for the EDU, then it's possible to add new units without deleting existing units. We only have to wait...

Cybermat47's Avatar Libertus

Ooooh, I like it!

Okay, I have some problems... for one thing, I can't open the texture file. As it's an unknown file type! Also, can you give me some install instructions? Thanks. I can't wait to get this mod working, it looks really good!

I got the texture problem fixed, but it still can't get it to work. Can you give me some instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    I got the texture problem fixed, but it still can't get it to work. Can you give me some instructions?
    Ok, this will teach you how to put the model and texture in the game, and also how to replace the Spartan Promachoi with the new unit, or any other unit that you wish it to replace instead.

Installation:

1. Download the texture file ( model is not needed )

2. Rename the file to '' officer_spartan_mystic.tga.dds '' if it doesnt have this name or/and is not a TGA.DDS file, I have fixed the download so just download again if there is any problem

3. Copy and paste the texture file '' officer_spartan_mystic.tga.dds '' into the R:TW directory, inside the folder: Data\models_unit\textures\tone\Sparta ; and then replace the file

Making the unit playable:

1. Open the '' export_descr_unit '' text file, inside the Data folder

2. Search for the unit '' spartan_promachoi '' in the entries ( Ctrl + F should help )

3. The entry that you must find and edit will be something like that:

type spartan promachoi
    dictionary spartan_promachoi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier spartan_promachoi, 50, 0, 1.654, 0.22
    officer spartan_officer
    officer spartan_mystic
    officer greek_flutist
    mount_effect horse +1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy, command, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted
    formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square, shield_wall
    stat_health 1, 5
    stat_pri 18, 16, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 25, 0.37
    stat_pri_attr light_spear, spear_bonus_6
    stat_sec 11, 27, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, slashing, sword, 25, 0.598 *( the numbers are different in my example, but just pay attention to the stat_sec entry )
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 16, 42, 10, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 0, 0, -1, -1
    stat_mental 36, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 8690, 2259, 535, 709, 1086
    ownership greek_cities, britons

IMPORTANT:
    Make sure that both the unit type and the soldier are '' spartan_promachoi '', if they are not then it is a different unit ; the rest of the stats and numbers doesnt matter, I edit my entries so dont take my example as a base of what yours should look like. Just pay attention to the colored text.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you must edit it, the colored text should look like that:

type spartan promachoi
    dictionary spartan_promachoi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier spartan_mystic, 50, 0, 1.654, 0.22
    officer spartan_officer
    officer spartan_promachoi
    officer greek_flutist
    mount_effect horse +1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy, command, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted
    formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square, shield_wall
    stat_health 1, 5
    stat_pri 18, 16, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 25, 0.37
    stat_pri_attr light_spear, spear_bonus_6
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 16, 42, 10, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
    stat_heat 2
    stat_ground 0, 0, -1, -1
    stat_mental 36, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 8690, 2259, 535, 709, 1086
    ownership greek_cities, britons

legend:

- Do NOT change the unit type, it shall remain as '' spartan_promachoi ''

- In
    soldier replace '' spartan_promachoi '' with '' spartan_mystic ''

- In the second officer line, replace '' spartan_mystic '' with '' spartan_promachoi ''

- Also, replace the word '' leather '' with '' metal '' instead

- Important: look at the '' stat_sec '' line, and replace the whole line with ''
    0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25, 1 '' , if you dont do this right there will be CTD's.

Now you're good to go, exit file, save, and the unit is installed. It shall replace the Spartan Promachoi ( as in the example ), and if you want to backup, you just need to re-edit the text file again, doing the opposite process.

I hope it was clear to understand, also remember that the unit will not change its stats, just the looks, and if you want to change them you can do it manually, there is a plenty of good tutorials around teaching how to do it.

like this: http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/mods/...it/index.shtml

Any questions, dont hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by Achilles Lacedaemon; June 14, 2014 at 01:15 PM.

Can someone please upload this mode to some other site? i cant download from 4shared thankyou

Hey there, this looks great, but looking at the desc. file I have one doubt... Is this removing the secondary attack of the unit? (The one with the sword), 'cause even though I love your new skins, I'll hate to loose the secondary sword attack of my units.

Quote Originally Posted by proyecto117 View Post
    Hey there, this looks great, but looking at the desc. file I have one doubt... Is this removing the secondary attack of the unit? (The one with the sword), 'cause even though I love your new skins, I'll hate to loose the secondary sword attack of my units.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles Lacedaemon View Post

- Important: look at the '' stat_sec '' line, and replace the whole line with ''
    0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25, 1 '' , if you dont do this right there will be CTD's.
    Yes, but this apparently doesn't have what is needed for that, if you try it will CTD (presumably no animation or model)