Thread: Taking Messana

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Default Taking Messana

I admit. I forgot about the Spartans.

From the map Messana looked undefended, so I send full garison of pre marian troops combined with hestatii, principes, velites and italian auxilia.
    It took only one turn to realize that a full stack greek army made of 1000 spartans stabbed me in the back and massacred my invading force with nowhere to retreat (ships sunk by greek experienced navy).

Any tips on taking the greeks on Sicily along with troops needed to kill the spartan king with his army?

regards!

----------------------------
    Age quod agis

Default Re: Taking Messana

I tried to hold Messana once. Lost it in 2 turns. I don't even think you have the manpower in the start to eliminate the greek army. You could realocate one of the legions in the south to fight in Sicily. But then you'd have to defeat Hannibal and Theophanes with one legion and then take Taras. Meanwhile you have one legion in the northern border (and if you lose the mines in Arretium you lose a lot of money). So you have one legion in the south, really battered and that still has to take Taras (if you defeated the two armies. If you didn't it's gonna get really ugly), one legion on Sicily that can defeat the spartans but with a lot of casualities and one in the north that can probably take 3-5 gallic full stacks. Not a situation that I'd like to be in but maybe I'll recreate for the fun.

I think you should secure Italy fast, build the provincial barracks in Capua and train a new legion and retrain your old ones. Send the most experienced ones to the north (Vibius and Quintus I think). Send the other two to Sicily and disembark near Syracuse. Hit the army with your best legion (or bait it out of the city if they are garrisoned) and siege the city with the inexperienced legion. If the greek army is stationed in Messana just plug the northern pass to the city, they have to cross there. Taking Syracuse is a lot better than losing men trying to get Messana. There are two flaws in this strategy. 1- Southern Italy is undefended, if the greeks attack there you'll probably lose Taras before you can get there. Train a 5th legion as soon as you can to stay there. 2- You'll have a border with Carthage in Sicily. Might be too much in the early game depending on your skill.

I'm talking about playing on M/M. On H/H 1000 spartans will mow your front line really fast and maybe the principes and triarii won't be enough

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Oh forgot to mention... i already secured Italy and took Sardinia. I am holding off Gauls in the north with 5 armies, while I attempted to take Messana with only one that got massacred. Plus the greek navy is killin me. They took out my full stack fleet that i spent a fortune on!

Age quod agis

Just sail past them. All the navies are really powerful, you'll only gonna win with a lot of atrittion. As you already have the northern border secured, just send 2 or legions to Sicily and maybe a garrison stack to put in Messana just so you can use your legions freely. To kill spartans treat them like elephants: javelins and pilas are your best friends

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Forget about Messana. I tried it after securing all Italy and Galia Cisalpina. It is too tough to take easily. You need lots of troops and many missile veterans. There are elephants on island too. And yes. Messana always looks undefended

I wouldn't throw veterans on Sicily, especially at the start. You're going to lose a lot of men to kill all those spartans, better that they are recruits. But I would focus on Syracuse as a beach head, it's harder to get but a lot easier to defend until you can bring reinforcements. Sicily is really important to defeat Carthage, with Lilybeon and Syracuse as a base of operations capable of pumping a lot of soldiers.

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

I decided to go after Iberia first. I have three legions on the way with another three holding off the Gauls. Hope it pays off

Age quod agis

Ultra123's Avatar Senator

it wil saspio, the mines there will make you rich if you can hold them.
    Originally Posted by Garbarsardar
    R2 is a deeply flawed, partially completed, hastily assembled, sub-par product.

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Ok, now i have most of Iberia. The reforms took place and i buit around 7 republican legions. The border with Gaul is secure and I invaded Sicily. I took Messana and I have deployed 3 legions in Sicily. The Greeks are sending forces to defend Syracuse. 5 full stacks have landed and 3 more are on the way. Insane

Age quod agis

That`ll be fun. Every time I conquer Sicily they never counterattack, I`d love to see 8 greek stacks landing